Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

appgrad

Re: The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am
I totally trust Doug to make the right decision. Knowing Doug, he's been preparing for this for a while. This is a prime coaching position and situation. It'd be much harder if we had had to fire Satt because of losing or other issues with the program.
With our current roster and upcoming schedule and stadium/facility upgrades...not to mention our momentum of winning championships, bowls, etc. I feel pretty good about it all, the future is incredibly bright for our program.
There's a sports talk host in Atlanta who always talks about "the list" - and that every AD or GM has one. Doug knew there was a better than 50/50 chance SS was gone after this year, especially once he hired Sexton...so I am certain he already has some folks in mind.

I'm curious if his previous stop might hold any clues? He was at Mizzou during a pretty successful period with Gary Pinkel. Quite a few of his assistants are still around, including his nephew, Alex Grinch. He is now co-DC at Ohio State and considered a rising talent.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: The pressure is on Doug Gillin: The most important season in the history of App State Football.

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am
I totally trust Doug to make the right decision. Knowing Doug, he's been preparing for this for a while. This is a prime coaching position and situation. It'd be much harder if we had had to fire Satt because of losing or other issues with the program.
With our current roster and upcoming schedule and stadium/facility upgrades...not to mention our momentum of winning championships, bowls, etc. I feel pretty good about it all, the future is incredibly bright for our program.
Agreed and not sure why we have some trying to put pressure on Gillin. Coaches leave schools for various reasons and that is all that happened here. We have fans who put Scott Satterfield on this pedestal and seem to think we won 100% because of him. We are on to the next chapter this week and have an opportunity to get a coach who can take us to the next level.

It would be nice to be ranked for more than one week, sweep the SBC, and beat a P5. Our previous HC did not do these things but I believe the right man can do it here in 2019.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Would DG have Brian Bohannon (Kennesaw State HC) on his list?
https://ksuowls.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1377&path=fb
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Would DG have Brian Bohannon (Kennesaw State HC) on his list?
https://ksuowls.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1377&path=fb
Bohannon is a great coach and someone we should definitely consider. If he were to be the hire I would be very excited. He took a school who had no program and has them among the top 5 in FCS in a very short time. If he can take nothing and make something very good then he could take something very good and potentially make it great. I really think it would piss Georgia Southern off as well. They can say what they want but they would love to get him when Lunsford moves on to a P5 or a higher paying G5 program.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Interesting article on GT's SB Nation page about Bohannon...https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/georg ... n-bohannon If we were to get him at least he could save money on not having to buy a new wardrobe since KSU is black and gold like us
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Bohannon being successful isn't all that surprising. He started a program at a 30,000 student university in the heart of a 6 million person metro area that is probably only surpassed by Miami, LA and Dallas in terms of D1 recruits produced annually.

Add to that, he's running the triple option in the Big South with those players...I was fairly certain they were going to have a GA Southern type rise (where Southern was playing for I-AA title in its first 5 years.)

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Giddy up..... sounds like there is a nice pool of candidates to choose from.
The Appalachian State

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm

God Almighty.... "the most important season in the history of" is such absolute bull feces.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am
Why would we want to go to the AAC? Even they have no shot at the playoffs and we have just as good a shot at a NY6 in the Sun Belt. Bowl match ups might be better but that is it. What else am I missing?
You can have two losses in the AAC and still be considered a front runner for NY6. If you lose one game in the Sun Belt your hopes of being the highest ranked team is shot. Look no further than USF and Cincinnati being ranked at various points in the season prior to App, despite not having been near as impressive against similar competition. The perception of the AAC is such that had App played their same schedule they likely would've been ranked after the beat down of Charlotte after a close loss to Penn State.

I'm fairly certain there is more money, more exposure, and a higher level of competition in football in the AAC as well. Everyone wonders why the C-USA tanked and it's because of the schools they lost, and then recouped by picking the bottom of the barrel of the Sun Belt.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm
New information from DG via WSJ.
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... 998fe.html
He sounds legitimately excited about the opportunity to put his stamp on this great football program. I believe he will give it all he has to get the right guy.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:12 pm

"We just need to improve basketball and we're ready for the AAC"...bahahahaha. Basketball needs to GET to .500 then sustain it for a decade to even be in the conversation. We're a new coach and (likely) a student body culture shift away from that.

We are where we need to be right now in the Sunbelt. Everyone needs to stop trying to bigger-better-deal them.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 pm

DG Interviewed on 247sports if you have access.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm

I agree with the point that we need to improve in all sports but what are schools like ECU and Tulane bringing to the AAC that we couldn't? ECU is good in what right now, baseball?
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

My goal is not to argue with anyone, but I figured I'd share my opinion. I love satt. I think he was perfect for consistency and recruiting. But I think he makes terrible in game decisions. I've always blamed his decision making for the losses to wake, umass, Tennessee, liberty, and not teaching jalin to dive for a 1st down vs penn state....which cost us that game. I don't believe he will succeed at Louisville, he's too conservative with play calling. I think whoever we get next will be a better in game coach. I think next year can be so special. That being said I'm extremely worried about the bowl game. That needs to be the 100% focus of our team. I believe the new Orleans Bowl result will set the tone for a positive or difficult spring. If we can pull it out, I feel amazing about the transition.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Satt was one on the best OCs I’ve ever seen in college football, his timing on play calls was magic at times.

I’m excited about the future, but I would have enjoyed Satt calling plays for years.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 pm

I don’t disagree with you on his weaknesses...but there are very successful HCs who have same issues with conservative playcalling, clock management. Those are fixable.

I think his strengths have and will outweigh those weaknesses- excellent game prep, talent development and staff building. He’s hired great coaches and taken middle of the Sun Belt level recruiting classes and virtually dominated the league for 4.5 seasons.

Also - ridiculous to blame a coach for a Senior RB not diving. That’s on the player.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Or a kicker that misses chip shot field goals....

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 pm
Or a kicker that misses chip shot field goals....
Please stop. Our players give their best effort.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 pm

He was blaming Scott for some losses. Just pointing out the coach doesnt win or lose a game by himself. Tennessee Liberty and WAke should have been won with made xtra points and field goals.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”