Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kerwin Bell for Head Coach ?

unknown
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kerwin Bell for Head Coach ?

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Hope not

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm

This guy would be a fantastic head coach at an FCS program or a fantastic coordinator at App.
Twitter: @RankAppState

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Chris Hatcher went from Valdosta to Georgia Southern and didn't work out. He even complained about the high academics standards and got 18 exemptions for players that otherwise didn't qualify and lost around half of them.

Budman2154

Unread post by Budman2154 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:52 pm

I imagine Doug Gillin knows who is out there regardless if its FCS, DII or otherwise. I wouldn't eliminate anyone that has had success at various levels without an interview. I don't know what Chris Hatcher's background pre-Valdosta State was, but Kerwin Bell has been exposed to a lot of Football as a player and a coach. I would say its worth an interview. Those don't cost money.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:56 pm

I'd certainly look at him as a strong candidate for offensive coordinator.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I agree that he would be a great hire as an OC.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Someone was critical of Bell’s age, 53. The positive side of that is if he comes to App and does a great job for say 5 years, which is probably the sample size most p5 schools would want, he would be 58 which would be a bit old for a p5 school to hire to build a program. No rebuilding to do here. We might have a good coach for 10-15 years. His winning percentage as a head coach is the same as Satts.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am

After the first few posts, the thought that came to my mind was OC. He wouldn't be ready for an HC job at the highest of the G5, that is a big jump. Bring him in as OC and see if his "magic" translates and if it does and our next HC gets poached, then he would already be here for a quick walk to DGs office for an interview.
The Appalachian State

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm

I love how so many of us can say that he is better suited for a coordinator or smaller division coach, like anyone of those posters has a clue about his ability as a coach or what it really takes to be a G5 head coach. Records speak for themselves, the guy wins and he does so wherever he goes and at whatever level that happens to be. Plus, I will bet any amount that he knows more about coaching an offense than anyone of our coaches on the 2018 roster simply from his 13 YEARS in the NFL and his exposure to Spurrier, not to mention his years of actual head coaching experience. I will admit when I opened the thread my initial reaction was a no but after reading the posts and doing some research on him, I would say he is at least worth an interview. So many of us sound like the P5 royalty fans...'no fcs coach can compete at our level, etc, etc'. Not sure how our little school in the mountains has produced such an arrogant entitled mindset that we would automatically dismiss a candidate just because he coaches at a lower level than we play. If the guy knows how to win and coach, regardless of the level, he is worth an interview in my book.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
I love how so many of us can say that he is better suited for a coordinator or smaller division coach, like anyone of those posters has a clue about his ability as a coach or what it really takes to be a G5 head coach. Records speak for themselves, the guy wins and he does so wherever he goes and at whatever level that happens to be. Plus, I will bet any amount that he knows more about coaching an offense than anyone of our coaches on the 2018 roster simply from his 13 YEARS in the NFL and his exposure to Spurrier, not to mention his years of actual head coaching experience. I will admit when I opened the thread my initial reaction was a no but after reading the posts and doing some research on him, I would say he is at least worth an interview. So many of us sound like the P5 royalty fans...'no fcs coach can compete at our level, etc, etc'. Not sure how our little school in the mountains has produced such an arrogant entitled mindset that we would automatically dismiss a candidate just because he coaches at a lower level than we play. If the guy knows how to win and coach, regardless of the level, he is worth an interview in my book.
Thank you!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 pm

You can’t look at a coach and judge him by the level of competition. Rather what is he doing against like opponents. If he is crushing DII competition with DII players then his strategy works.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thank you!
You would think our fan base would be more respectful of the little guy. We’ve been fighting for respect forever. One thing that makes us so good. The way some are so dismissing of a lower division coach reminds me of how a Michigan team was so dismissive of Appalayshun State back in 2007. I remember checking what was being said in Detroit papers about us leading up to that game. Next to nothing . Everybody was discussing in the comments under the articles everything else about their team except the upcoming game with Appalayshun State. I chimed in giving due respect to their number 5 team, but also told them a bit about our team. Told them our qb, #14, was a dynamic playmaker that they would want to keep their eye on. The response. Crickets. They continued discussing everything but us. So, let’s please not disrespect the guy at a little school just because he’s a guy at a little school. We should have all learned this lesson.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

t4pizza wrote:
It’s not so much that he can’t coach… It’s about how easy it is to get players in at that level of football, particularly at a school like Valdosta, which is pretty much taking all comers. The only two coaches to come out of there as head coaches and move to a higher level are Hal Mumme and Chris Hatcher. Both played pretty fast and loose with player discipline and recruiting requirements. Neither was very successful long-term.

Coaching at that type institution does not fit the profile of wanting to hire a guy that continues academic success because they don’t have to be as attentive to those things in D2.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 am

Hard to be critical of a D2 not being attentive to academic success while we fall all over ourselves for a SEC position coach.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 am

My skepticism is with any of these new accounts who have rolled into the MMB this week spouting "facts" and "must dos". I have no knowledge of this coach or whether or not he's a viable candidate, I'll let DG do that. But what I don't like is a new guy rolling in with all the answers and acting like he/she is the first person to find fire.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm

How about Coach Cronic? The name is perfect for Boone, and he lit it up at Lenoir Rhyne this year.... not saying he needs to be HC, but....

https://lrbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=180
Last edited by NoLongerLurking on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm
How about Coach Cronic? The name is perfect for Boone, and he lit it up at Lenoir Rhyne this year.... not saying he needs to be HC, but....
Perfect 900th post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 am
Hard to be critical of a D2 not being attentive to academic success while we fall all over ourselves for a SEC position coach.
If being an SEC position coach is all that you see Horton as, I suggest you do some research on him. He checks the most boxes of any candidate that we know about.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm
NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Perfect 900th post.
Would have been better if it was your 420th post
The Appalachian State

App1993

Unread post by App1993 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 pm

appgrad wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm
t4pizza wrote:
It’s not so much that he can’t coach… It’s about how easy it is to get players in at that level of football, particularly at a school like Valdosta, which is pretty much taking all comers. The only two coaches to come out of there as head coaches and move to a higher level are Hal Mumme and Chris Hatcher. Both played pretty fast and loose with player discipline and recruiting requirements. Neither was very successful long-term.

Coaching at that type institution does not fit the profile of wanting to hire a guy that continues academic success because they don’t have to be as attentive to those things in D2.
He hasn’t just coached at d2. He was successful at a 1aa private school that went by d1 rules. They never had a winning season before he got there. He won conference championship in his second year there while winning 2 more and having the #1 offense in the country in 2010. Also with them going by d1 rules Jacksonville APR went up in graduation compared to the coach before him. Also since he left Jacksonville has become a dumpster fire and can’t even beat the lower teams in the conference! He started at Qb in the SEC at Florida. Worked with Spurrier for a year in SEC and played under 9 different professional coaches. This isn’t a regular d2 coach. He’s got experience on every level.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”