Brown & Ponce Gone...

AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
If you don't want to root for a stepping stone, go cheer for Alabama football and Tar Hole basketball then. Or better yet, you know who isn't a stepping stone, Western Carolina.

I for one want App to be a stepping stone. For our type of school with our budget, being a stepping stone means we are a winner! I want more coaches like Scott, or Mack Brown, or Bobby Cremins, or Buzz Peterson 1.0, or Chris Pollard. Up-and-comers with a fire in their belly to be the best. Those tenures were all exciting times for App athletics. I liked Houston Fancher and he had one of App's best basketball seasons, but he didn't have that fire and overall what did App get during his tenure: apathy and mediocrity. Jim Fox can't even get to that level.

Jerry Moore is the exception of course, but long tenured coaches who consistently win are rare. Jimmie Laycock at didn't collect all those wins and spend all those years at William & Mary winning championships, he collected them finishing in fourth place.

A coach that will stick around is a coach that finishes 7-5 every year. Ask A-State fans what that is like.
Last edited by AppfaninCAALand on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.



The Rock
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 206 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 am

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:59 am
appaneer1984 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am
At least with SS leaving it has lit a fire under some Yosef Club members and non Yosef Club members who are stepping up to the plate to make sure our next coach has the type of financial backing to encourage them to stay at App
There will always be more money somewhere else. A new HC every 4 to 6 years is what we can expect moving forward.
If we are lucky



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am

We are just going through what others in our conference have already gone through (and Troy soon will). Stink and UL bounced back quickly with the right hire. So can we. Don’t look at what we’re losing, but focus on what we keep and get to bring in new. I remember thinking after the Montana loss in 2009 that we might have seen our best days. Who knows what great things lie ahead of us? History is on our side and we will be fine- great, actually.



unknown
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by unknown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 am

postalapp90 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 am
asugoapps wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm
Reporting that Brown and Ponce are Satterfield’s first hires. Not surprised.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/s ... 397c0.html
Woody being in limbo really hurt is. I feel Satt would have taken him over Brown if he was available due to way more experience with the 3 4 defense. Brown is in his mid 30s and if he has success like he had at App he will be taken by a bigger name school within 5 years.
Brown would have gone before Woody regardless. Mike is obviously gone as well



Rick83
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am

To any current or prospective player commits and their families:
Please be aware that all fan bases have their negative elements and App is not immune to this. Please know that we have a rabid, passionate fan base that shows up to Kidd Brewer pretty much in the 20,000 to 30,000 attendance range regularly and even more for big games...and those are just the ones that can get to Boone regularly. You can look at our away opponents' attendance records for this year and see that our game with them is typically their best attended...because there was a large contingent wearing the black and gold visiting there supporting our team.
We have a first rate athletic department and we're actually upgrading our facilities and are actually breaking ground as I type this. Don't let a handful of negative posters sway your opinion of our program. This is a public forum and one can't even tell if a poster is truly an App supporter or a troll of some kind. We have a multi-decades long tradition of winning in Boone and I, and almost all App supporters, fully expect that the winning and growth of our program will continue for decades to come.
Most media outlets are reporting that the App State head coaching position is a highly-sought-after job that is garnering a lot of interest from highly qualified candidates. We will have no problem hiring a quality coach who will bring in quality assistants. We are a victim of our own success but that success will continue because we have something special going on up in Boone...



User avatar
appstatealum
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte/Gastonia
Has thanked: 995 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am
To any current or prospective player commits and their families:
Please be aware that all fan bases have their negative elements and App is not immune to this. Please know that we have a rabid, passionate fan base that shows up to Kidd Brewer pretty much in the 20,000 to 30,000 attendance range regularly and even more for big games...and those are just the ones that can get to Boone regularly. You can look at our away opponents' attendance records for this year and see that our game with them is typically their best attended...because there was a large contingent wearing the black and gold visiting there supporting our team.
We have a first rate athletic department and we're actually upgrading our facilities and are actually breaking ground as I type this. Don't let a handful of negative posters sway your opinion of our program. This is a public forum and one can't even tell if a poster is truly an App supporter or a troll of some kind. We have a multi-decades long tradition of winning in Boone and I, and almost all App supporters, fully expect that the winning and growth of our program will continue for decades to come.
Most media outlets are reporting that the App State head coaching position is a highly-sought-after job that is garnering a lot of interest from highly qualified candidates. We will have no problem hiring a quality coach who will bring in quality assistants. We are a victim of our own success but that success will continue because we have something special going on up in Boone...
Nailed it. I like you Rick. If you are down on Bourbon next week, I'll buy you a *beverage*


“I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating me!”

appgrad
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
Let's set some definitions here - Louisville had a bad year, they are not a bottom feeder program. It's not like we lost him to Rutgers. They had a Heisman Trophy winner not 2 years ago, have been to multiple major bowls in the last 11 seasons. It's clear by reading that Petrino had stopped trying, and the results showed.

They also and are one of the most profitable, athletic departments in America..and arguably the most successful across all team sports. Since 2010 - They've had multiple appearances in the College World Series, Men's Final Four, and Women's Final Four, as well as a BCS Bowl appearance, and Men's Soccer Championship Game appearance. The infrastructure is there in spades.

What they didn't have in their 2 main sports, were leaders of men...both Pitino and Petrino could never be accused to having high moral character...and AD Tom Jurich enabled them. Add to that - "Papa" John Schnatter sniffing around the program all the time.

All of those men are gone. With Chris Mack and Scott Satterfield, they appear to be working to repair that image.

Scott is walking into a great situation, because the expectation around coaches actually caring about their players and fans is very low coming off Petrino. He and his assistants will be compensated thusly...as long as he is given the time, I expect they will be successful.



Rick83
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am
To any current or prospective player commits and their families:
Please be aware that all fan bases have their negative elements and App is not immune to this. Please know that we have a rabid, passionate fan base that shows up to Kidd Brewer pretty much in the 20,000 to 30,000 attendance range regularly and even more for big games...and those are just the ones that can get to Boone regularly. You can look at our away opponents' attendance records for this year and see that our game with them is typically their best attended...because there was a large contingent wearing the black and gold visiting there supporting our team.
We have a first rate athletic department and we're actually upgrading our facilities and are actually breaking ground as I type this. Don't let a handful of negative posters sway your opinion of our program. This is a public forum and one can't even tell if a poster is truly an App supporter or a troll of some kind. We have a multi-decades long tradition of winning in Boone and I, and almost all App supporters, fully expect that the winning and growth of our program will continue for decades to come.
Most media outlets are reporting that the App State head coaching position is a highly-sought-after job that is garnering a lot of interest from highly qualified candidates. We will have no problem hiring a quality coach who will bring in quality assistants. We are a victim of our own success but that success will continue because we have something special going on up in Boone...
Nailed it. I like you Rick. If you are down on Bourbon next week, I'll buy you a *beverage*
Awesome...I'm there for sure, tickets and room secured, and I love "beverages!"



User avatar
appstatealum
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte/Gastonia
Has thanked: 995 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 am

Cool. My wife and I plan to find out where the "headquarters" will be Friday night and we are there. If there isn't one, I'll make one and post on here where it is. Most likely on Bourbon St


“I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating me!”

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 921 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm
I’ll just leave for a while to keep yall sheltered from my opinions.
Hey man, I apologize. That wasn't cool of me. I acted like a douche. No need for me to call out dissenting opinions like that without constructive discussion.



asu7
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am

I will admit I was pissed about brown leaving at first. However, I am not sure that Brown is so good anyways. He inherited Woody’s defense that Woody built from the ground up. Brown got it on a silver platter just like our next coach will have it. To me losing brown is an unknown. We won’t really know how good he is or what we are losing. He could go to UL and suck then we could all be like thank God. Who knows?

I have my head wrapped around the idea we will survive now. I think DG will hire someone we can be proud of. I also think that guy who ever it is will want their own people too. Just looking forward to wheels up next Friday and watching our boys play one more time.

We support them anyways to hell with the coaches. We don’t like them half the time anyways. Satt made some horrible calls at times and a major dud in the championship game. He also couldn’t manage the clock to save his life. He got way to conservative after we got up. Third quarters were hard to watch sometimes. Other coaches would make halftime adjustments and we wouldn’t. The offensive play calling was subpar at times too. So maybe some new blood is needed.

I will embrace the new coach and hope we are good enough to keep rolling. Still a chance for the NY6 bowl.
Last edited by asu7 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.


Image

appgrad
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am

Brown had a lot to do with that D being so good...he was the DBs coach, which was the best unit on D, and a National leader in INTs. IMO - they actually got better this year. time will

Ultimately though - none of our assistants were guaranteed a new job with the next coach...so it's unfair for us to want them to hang around for an unknown. Brown and Ponce have no ties to App other than working here, and were given their current opportunities by SS. I was hopeful we'd keep Brown, but was almost certain Ponce would be gone since Louisville recruits Florida heavily. That may also factor into whether Ivey stays or goes to Lville since he did so well in FL as a HS coach.



TomA415
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by TomA415 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:32 am

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am
I will admit I was pissed about brown leaving at first. However, I am not sure that Brown is so good anyways. He inherited Woody’s defense that Woody built from the ground up. Brown got it on a silver platter just like our next coach will have it. To me losing brown is an unknown. We won’t really know how good he is or what we are losing. He could go to UL and suck then we could all be like thank God. Who knows?
Brown is good. He inherited Woody's defense, sure. But the fact is our defense was even better this year than it was last, and that was after losing 3 of 4 LB's and 2 out of 3 D lineman. Losing Brown is going to hurt, no matter how you spin it. And the whole defense loves brown, especially the db's. This one is going to hurt, we'll just see how bad depending on who replaces him next year.



Appstate88
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 am

The key is recruiting and player development. I think both did a good job in this area. Hope we get more assistants that do that well.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.



AppStFan1
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am

scatman77 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am
biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm
And the downward spiral starts (IMO).
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

You could be right or wrong on this. I'm saying let's wait and see.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He will even make hires in other departments such as video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc to establish a culture. You know the Louisville AD is going to say yes to whatever Scott says he needs.
If the university allows him to hire athletic trainers then that means he'll have the ability to fire them. That is absolutely positively stupid, asinine, dumb, and counter-productive to a sports medicine program. The NCAA has stated that SpMed should be autonomous from all athletic department influences. As long as there is a coach meddling in that department there will always be another Maryland just waiting to rear up. Sorry to rant on you but the athletic trainer comment got to me; I'm a product of the ASU SpMed program and a 38 year veteran of high schools.
I was making a point that he will carry a lot of influence around there. He can't hire outside of football coaches I'm sure but if he has someone who wants to come that he wants I would bet their AD will listen to him and it will carry a lot of weight. They see the culture we have and they are going to try to replicate it because of the mess they were in.

Edited that earlier post to say what I meant. It was late at night. lol



AppStFan1
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

appgrad wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am
Brown had a lot to do with that D being so good...he was the DBs coach, which was the best unit on D, and a National leader in INTs. IMO - they actually got better this year. time will

Ultimately though - none of our assistants were guaranteed a new job with the next coach...so it's unfair for us to want them to hang around for an unknown. Brown and Ponce have no ties to App other than working here, and were given their current opportunities by SS. I was hopeful we'd keep Brown, but was almost certain Ponce would be gone since Louisville recruits Florida heavily. That may also factor into whether Ivey stays or goes to Lville since he did so well in FL as a HS coach.
That was my thought. They are loyal to Scott until they get a bigger money offer elsewhere I'm sure. The only coach we have who I doubt would leave even with an offer at this point is probably Dale Jones and if the money was enough he may even go. There are some coaches on our staff who will stay for sure depending on the new coach though. A few of them love App and won't trade happiness for a quick buck. We will see what happens.



fjblair
Posts: 2776
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
You must be new to the this college football coaching thing. Every G5 team in the country is a stepping stone, and every lower tier P5 is a stepping stone. It has worked that way forever and it always will. It's perfectly natural.



User avatar
AppStateMtneer
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am
To any current or prospective player commits and their families:
Please be aware that all fan bases have their negative elements and App is not immune to this. Please know that we have a rabid, passionate fan base that shows up to Kidd Brewer pretty much in the 20,000 to 30,000 attendance range regularly and even more for big games...and those are just the ones that can get to Boone regularly. You can look at our away opponents' attendance records for this year and see that our game with them is typically their best attended...because there was a large contingent wearing the black and gold visiting there supporting our team.
We have a first rate athletic department and we're actually upgrading our facilities and are actually breaking ground as I type this. Don't let a handful of negative posters sway your opinion of our program. This is a public forum and one can't even tell if a poster is truly an App supporter or a troll of some kind. We have a multi-decades long tradition of winning in Boone and I, and almost all App supporters, fully expect that the winning and growth of our program will continue for decades to come.
Most media outlets are reporting that the App State head coaching position is a highly-sought-after job that is garnering a lot of interest from highly qualified candidates. We will have no problem hiring a quality coach who will bring in quality assistants. We are a victim of our own success but that success will continue because we have something special going on up in Boone...
+1



ericsaid
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm
And the downward spiral starts (IMO).
Woody left and App improved. The offense can improve drastically if the right hire is made so Ponce doesn't matter to me. Keeping a position coach who has been under Woody's and then Brown's thumb since Woody arrived in Boone is who I want along with an offensive philosophy based on pass game efficiency. App's offensive play calling has seemed elementary for the past three seasons. Did it work? Yes. But the lack of efficiency through the air lost App some big games. The first time it almost won App a game was against Penn State, and then it was right back to the usual run left, run right, jet sweep, jet sweep toss back, throw it 60 yards to Corey and pray that he makes a ESPN Top 10 play.



ericsaid
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm

fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am
BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
You must be new to the this college football coaching thing. Every G5 team in the country is a stepping stone, and every lower tier P5 is a stepping stone. It has worked that way forever and it always will. It's perfectly natural.
Hire Ruffin McNeill and App won't be a stepping stone for a head coach. Staff will eb and flow but McNeill wouldn't leave for a P5 position.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”