Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Brown & Ponce Gone...

AppfaninCAALand
School: Appalachian State

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 pm
fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am
BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
You must be new to the this college football coaching thing. Every G5 team in the country is a stepping stone, and every lower tier P5 is a stepping stone. It has worked that way forever and it always will. It's perfectly natural.
Hire Ruffin McNeill and App won't be a stepping stone for a head coach. Staff will eb and flow but McNeill wouldn't leave for a P5 position.
I like Ruffin a lot, but also isn't taking us to a NY6 bowl. I suspect he would be a 7-5 safe coach.

appbio91

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:31 pm

If @IRON_CoachMike goes that will be an important hire for any new HC

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Ruffin doesn't fit the mold that DG put out there. I think he was good at ECU, but he was bringing in guys there that don't fit App State character requirements.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I believe this is the list to choose from: Woody, Ledford, Horton, Sloan and a mystery candidate not Ruffin or Elliot, perhaps one of the FCS coaches from KSU or JSU.

It should also be mentioned that DG has had a plan in place for 2 years, does that eliminate any candidates or give more weight to certain candidates?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 pm

I would replace Sloan with Ivey. As much as I would like to screw Ga Southern as much as possible, I don’t want a Georgia Southern coach as our head coach, no matter how long he spent on our staff, and, he is in the same situation as Brown. An Oc with 1 year experience. I know he improved the defense and is in a different position than brown, but I think there are better candidates.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:13 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am
scatman77 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am
biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm
And the downward spiral starts (IMO).
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

You could be right or wrong on this. I'm saying let's wait and see.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He will even make hires in other departments such as video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc to establish a culture. You know the Louisville AD is going to say yes to whatever Scott says he needs.
If the university allows him to hire athletic trainers then that means he'll have the ability to fire them. That is absolutely positively stupid, asinine, dumb, and counter-productive to a sports medicine program. The NCAA has stated that SpMed should be autonomous from all athletic department influences. As long as there is a coach meddling in that department there will always be another Maryland just waiting to rear up. Sorry to rant on you but the athletic trainer comment got to me; I'm a product of the ASU SpMed program and a 38 year veteran of high schools.
I was making a point that he will carry a lot of influence around there. He can't hire outside of football coaches I'm sure but if he has someone who wants to come that he wants I would bet their AD will listen to him and it will carry a lot of weight. They see the culture we have and they are going to try to replicate it because of the mess they were in.

Edited that earlier post to say what I meant. It was late at night. lol
I understand but I still think the NCAA's position statement (probably the only thing they've done right) stating that SpMed should be autonomous from all coaching influences should be followed. No coach should ever hire/fire athletic trainers. That should be done under the recommendation of the eam physician(s) and then the university accept their recommendation. Texas A & M fired their football AT because he wasn't Jimbo's boy, not because he didn't know his stuff.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 pm
I would replace Sloan with Ivey. As much as I would like to screw Ga Southern as much as possible, I don’t want a Georgia Southern coach as our head coach, no matter how long he spent on our staff, and, he is in the same situation as Brown. An Oc with 1 year experience. I know he improved the defense and is in a different position than brown, but I think there are better candidates.
It will be interesting to see if Ivey is able to rally the troops. If he goes down to NO and wins big, it'd be a shame to not give him a look.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Isn’t Ruffin getting old? I think we need an energetic late 30’s to young 40’s guy who will take a loaded roster and whip ass with it. This is not really a knock on Scott because wins are what counts, BUT wouldn’t we like to see our offense really open up and light up a scoreboard? Seems like we were often content to run the ball up the middle and to settle for dink and dunk and “just score enough “. Admittedly none of us really knows what the hell we are talking about during and after games but don’t we want to see more pizzazz with our offense? We clamor for jet sweeps, reverses and other explosive plays.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm
The Rock wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Ivey is able to rally the troops. If he goes down to NO and wins big, it'd be a shame to not give him a look.
Ivey would be an interesting candidate, if he can assemble a good staff. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the play calling looks like under Clark.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm
I believe this is the list to choose from: Woody, Ledford, Horton, Sloan and a mystery candidate not Ruffin or Elliot, perhaps one of the FCS coaches from KSU or JSU.

It should also be mentioned that DG has had a plan in place for 2 years, does that eliminate any candidates or give more weight to certain candidates?
Woody is a little weird. I dont see him as a head coach. Sloan has no chance at this job is my understanding.
Last edited by unknown on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

97APP wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm
The Rock wrote:
Ivey would be an interesting candidate, if he can assemble a good staff. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the play calling looks like under Clark.
You are going to like what you see from Clark!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm

We averaged over 36 points per game how ever it can be spun.
BLACK SATURDAY

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

unknown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm
97APP wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm
The Rock wrote:
You are going to like what you see from Clark!
I hope so. For several of the coaches on staff, especially those taking on expanded roles for the bowl game, this could be a live audition for their next Head Coach whether at App or elsewhere.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm

scatman77 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
biggie wrote:
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He will even make hires in other departments such as video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc to establish a culture. You know the Louisville AD is going to say yes to whatever Scott says he needs.
If the university allows him to hire athletic trainers then that means he'll have the ability to fire them. That is absolutely positively stupid, asinine, dumb, and counter-productive to a sports medicine program. The NCAA has stated that SpMed should be autonomous from all athletic department influences. As long as there is a coach meddling in that department there will always be another Maryland just waiting to rear up. Sorry to rant on you but the athletic trainer comment got to me; I'm a product of the ASU SpMed program and a 38 year veteran of high schools.
He is not going to be hiring trainers. We are starting to go over the edge. What the heck are going to do when DG leaves? Take a chill pill folks.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:18 pm

JOHN GRASS ...Bet he can recruit Alabama.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm
scatman77 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
biggie wrote:

He is not going to be hiring trainers. We are starting to go over the edge. What the heck are going to do when DG leaves? Take a chill pill folks.
Dammit, can we get through one catastrophe before you start getting us nervous about the next? I’m going to need to start taking Xanax if this drags on much longer.
I’m ready to know who all is leaving, who is coming , and who is staying and start preparing mentally for next year

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

I for one am excited to see that now perhaps the delayed hb dive may not make up 65% of the playbook

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm
I for one am excited to see that now perhaps the delayed hb dive may not make up 65% of the playbook
My God that second half playcalling last week was beyond atrocious

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm
Isn’t Ruffin getting old? I think we need an energetic late 30’s to young 40’s guy who will take a loaded roster and whip ass with it.
Ruffin has just turned 61. ASU does not discriminate on any basis. Ruffin just doesn't seem to fit enough of the characteristics that DG is looking for in a new head FB coach.
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm

How do you know, the AD has had a plan for the past two years, Bumpus? It stands to reason, but how do you KNOW he has?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”