Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Brown & Ponce Gone...

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm
I for one am excited to see that now perhaps the delayed hb dive may not make up 65% of the playbook
My God that second half playcalling last week was beyond atrocious
You mean the game in which we won the SunBelt Championship? You are kidding aren't you?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm
Isn’t Ruffin getting old? I think we need an energetic late 30’s to young 40’s guy who will take a loaded roster and whip ass with it. This is not really a knock on Scott because wins are what counts, BUT wouldn’t we like to see our offense really open up and light up a scoreboard? Seems like we were often content to run the ball up the middle and to settle for dink and dunk and “just score enough “. Admittedly none of us really knows what the hell we are talking about during and after games but don’t we want to see more pizzazz with our offense? We clamor for jet sweeps, reverses and other explosive plays.
I can't see where you are coming from with that statement (underlined). We defeated UNC-C 45-9, G Webb 72-7, S Alabama 52-7, Arkansas State 35-9, Texas State 38-7, and Ga State 45-17. How is that just scoring enough?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Stop the interviews. Hire Taylor Lamb for QB coach today! He is going to be a coach and I believe a very good one. No passing game coordinator or coordinator, just QBs title for now. He knows the personnel, playbook, and the added benefit of knowing the gamecocks who we need to beat to have a special 2019 statement season assuming we don’t change everything on the players and call it a rebuild. Woody as HC, Ivey DC, hire a secondary guy via Woody and make Clark OC. Watts, Cardwell, Lamb, Holt and Clark on offense with Ivey, Jones, Gasparato, Smith on defense.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm
I believe this is the list to choose from: Woody, Ledford, Horton, Sloan and a mystery candidate not Ruffin or Elliot, perhaps one of the FCS coaches from KSU or JSU.

It should also be mentioned that DG has had a plan in place for 2 years, does that eliminate any candidates or give more weight to certain candidates?
How do you know, the AD has had a plan for the past two years, Bumpus? It stands to reason, but how do you KNOW he has?
Because DG said so himself. It’s actually been 3 years in the making. Take a listen to the 24/7 sports interview with DG from the other day. Lots of good stuff in it.

Trapper

Unread post by Trapper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

I’m sure everyone’s aware Sparky Woods is currently the associate Head Coach and recruiting coordinator at Richmond...

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm
NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm
I believe this is the list to choose from: Woody, Ledford, Horton, Sloan and a mystery candidate not Ruffin or Elliot, perhaps one of the FCS coaches from KSU or JSU.

It should also be mentioned that DG has had a plan in place for 2 years, does that eliminate any candidates or give more weight to certain candidates?
How do you know, the AD has had a plan for the past two years, Bumpus? It stands to reason, but how do you KNOW he has?
Because DG said so himself. It’s actually been 3 years in the making. Take a listen to the 24/7 sports interview with DG from the other day. Lots of good stuff in it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15303
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am

Am I reading our current coaching staff correctly- we have 8 guys left?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm
Isn’t Ruffin getting old? I think we need an energetic late 30’s to young 40’s guy who will take a loaded roster and whip ass with it. This is not really a knock on Scott because wins are what counts, BUT wouldn’t we like to see our offense really open up and light up a scoreboard? Seems like we were often content to run the ball up the middle and to settle for dink and dunk and “just score enough “. Admittedly none of us really knows what the hell we are talking about during and after games but don’t we want to see more pizzazz with our offense? We clamor for jet sweeps, reverses and other explosive plays.
I can't see where you are coming from with that statement (underlined). We defeated UNC-C 45-9, G Webb 72-7, S Alabama 52-7, Arkansas State 35-9, Texas State 38-7, and Ga State 45-17. How is that just scoring enough?
Fair point. Just venting I guess.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:37 am

Sparky burned his bridge.

AppStFan1

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 am

scatman77 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:13 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am
scatman77 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am
biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm
And the downward spiral starts (IMO).
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

You could be right or wrong on this. I'm saying let's wait and see.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He will even make hires in other departments such as video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc to establish a culture. You know the Louisville AD is going to say yes to whatever Scott says he needs.
If the university allows him to hire athletic trainers then that means he'll have the ability to fire them. That is absolutely positively stupid, asinine, dumb, and counter-productive to a sports medicine program. The NCAA has stated that SpMed should be autonomous from all athletic department influences. As long as there is a coach meddling in that department there will always be another Maryland just waiting to rear up. Sorry to rant on you but the athletic trainer comment got to me; I'm a product of the ASU SpMed program and a 38 year veteran of high schools.
I was making a point that he will carry a lot of influence around there. He can't hire outside of football coaches I'm sure but if he has someone who wants to come that he wants I would bet their AD will listen to him and it will carry a lot of weight. They see the culture we have and they are going to try to replicate it because of the mess they were in.

Edited that earlier post to say what I meant. It was late at night. lol
I understand but I still think the NCAA's position statement (probably the only thing they've done right) stating that SpMed should be autonomous from all coaching influences should be followed. No coach should ever hire/fire athletic trainers. That should be done under the recommendation of the eam physician(s) and then the university accept their recommendation. Texas A & M fired their football AT because he wasn't Jimbo's boy, not because he didn't know his stuff.
I agree 100%. And I did not mean that Scott will hire and fire them but just saying if he knows of anyone his recommendation will carry a lot of weight. They were in shambles and they highly covet the culture created by Appalachian State. Satt is bringing Sirignano so he clearly isn't just bringing position coaches and a personnel director.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”