Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If Doug Gillin called you...

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 pm
ukappfan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?
What did Satterfield do close to a HC? He was a position coach then OC for what one year before coming back to app.
He was OC at both Toledo and FIU. Came back as Associate Head Coch and OC to App. Prior to leaving App he had a lot of input in game planning and likely was a leader of the coaching staff. There was a lot that Satterfield did.
He was position coach at Toledo. Then position coach at FIU year one to OC year two.
Was he not a passing game coordinator or something at both places?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

ericsaid wrote:
ukappfan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?
What did Satterfield do close to a HC? He was a position coach then OC for what one year before coming back to app.
He was OC at both Toledo and FIU. Came back as Associate Head Coch and OC to App. Prior to leaving App he had a lot of input in game planning and likely was a leader of the coaching staff. There was a lot that Satterfield did.
He was QB coach at Toledo. OC at FIU for 2 years and OC at App for 1.
He didn’t have the title , but was pretty much the OC at App while he was QB coach

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm
ericsaid wrote:
ukappfan wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
He was QB coach at Toledo. OC at FIU for 2 years and OC at App for 1.
He didn’t have the title , but was pretty much the OC at App while he was QB coach
And everyone in the program and around the program knew it. Scott was much more integral to App's success than his position title suggested.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm

I'd change the subject and say, "So Doug, I trust you to find a great replacement for Satterfield... speaking of replacement...men's basketball.....how much time you got?"
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:08 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 am
Horton, then get the Valdosta coach as OC. Try and bring Woody back up for DC.
YES
The Appalachian State

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Sorry don't get App fan's love affair with Ruffin McNeill. ECU friends and alumni describe him as a man who struggles to motivate. And look at the defense of Oklahoma...…

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
Do you understand how much responsibility the recruiting coordinator at Auburn has?

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Ruffin McNeil would be a massive failure, his scheme is completely different from what we have been successful with over the past couple of years. It would require a major overhaul of the roster. This is not even taking into account he completely lost control of his players off the field at ECU. I want someone that will hold our players accountable.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Ruffin is a great person and a good coach, however, lets not pretend that the ECU program was heading in the right direction. I believe ECU should have given him at least one more year especially considering he is an ECU graduate, but things weren't trending upward. Of course ECU compounded it by making a bad hire with Montgomery.

As far as our next coach, I'd have to ask Gillin "Who's shown interest?" We've seen the lists in the paper, but I imagine there are several coaches I'm not aware of that may be great candidates that don't want their names out there for all to see.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-ap ... ng-search/

Not much here, but come on. I would be very disappointed if we went with Speir at WCU. I know he is from app but still.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Not much here, but come on. I would be very disappointed if we went with Speir at WCU. I know he is from app but still.
I don’t see it. It was funny seeing him sitting down in front of me at the games wearing his App gear the last couple of weeks though.
The Appalachian State

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Did great things at App, but a 29-51 record at WCU...I agree, no thanks.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm

If this position is as desirable as we believe it is, why would we limit our selves to such regional and local options?
We need to think about how far we want to go, and then go after someone who has the best shot at getting us there. If it has to be a current or former Mountaineer, we might consider Gibson at WVU. We shouldnt just settle for who calls us; let’s go after who WE want. I hope we are not rushing or playing it “safe” on this one. Too much is riding on it.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:34 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm
Sorry don't get App fan's love affair with Ruffin McNeill. ECU friends and alumni describe him as a man who struggles to motivate. And look at the defense of Oklahoma...…
What first hand sources who played for Ruffin did you have contact with? Everyone I knew in 2010 when he first came in loved him and did not struggle one bit with being motivated to play for him. Retain a position coach from Woody's defense and provide continuity on that side of the ball.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
If this position is as desirable as we believe it is, why would we limit our selves to such regional and local options?
We need to think about how far we want to go, and then go after someone who has the best shot at getting us there. If it has to be a current or former Mountaineer, we might consider Gibson at WVU. We shouldnt just settle for who calls us; let’s go after who WE want. I hope we are not rushing or playing it “safe” on this one. Too much is riding on it.
I agree and I'm guessing that's why Doug's using a search firm. They will cast a wider net than Doug and his contacts have access to.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm

97APP wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm
Ruffin is a great person and a good coach, however, lets not pretend that the ECU program was heading in the right direction. I believe ECU should have given him at least one more year especially considering he is an ECU graduate, but things weren't trending upward. Of course ECU compounded it by making a bad hire with Montgomery.

As far as our next coach, I'd have to ask Gillin "Who's shown interest?" We've seen the lists in the paper, but I imagine there are several coaches I'm not aware of that may be great candidates that don't want their names out there for all to see.
The more I look into this, the more it appears that he was fired by Jeff Compher because of something. Terry Holland was AD when McNeill was hired and he oversaw a successful football program. Insert Compher who gives McNeill two seasons and fires him.

Looks like UVA scooped Ruffin up after ECU and made him the Associate Head Coach. Lets talk about trends.

2010: 6-6 (5-3)
2011: 5-7 (4-4)
2012: 8-4 (7-1)
2013: 10-2 (6-2)
2014: 8-4 (5-3)
2015: 5-7 (3-5) Lincoln Riley left for UK, Carden, Hardy, and several other players graduated, Benkert and Phillip Nelson were both injured.

The first two seasons were continuity from Skip Holtz. The trend 5-7 year was an aberration due to circumstances that any G5 would struggle with, particularly if you're in the AAC and not in the Sun Belt, C-USA, or MAC.

How bad was the AD who was hired after McNeill but fired him? Began his tenure with a $3 million Athletic Budget surplus, ended $3 million in the red.
Last edited by ericsaid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
Do you understand how much responsibility the recruiting coordinator at Auburn has?
For recruiting or for the entire program? He isn't going to be the recruiting coordinator here, he's going to be the head coach.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Side Note: Was watching a clip from CBS Sports and Satterfield and Ohio State were mentioned together in the same sentence. Obviously that isn't what happened but if Ryan Day wasn't there you have no clue what could've happened.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
I lean more on Southeast based guys for recruiting purposes....although I am open to anyone DG feels suits the team. Word has it that DG brought in key members of the offense and defense and asked them what they would expect out of a coach. DG is doing his due diligence.
The Appalachian State

ECU
School: East Carolina

Unread post by ECU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm
Ruffin McNeill. Bring Oklahoma Position Coach for OC and try to retain a position coach from Satterfields staff as DC. Too much talent on offense for it to be a run and gun variant. Passing game needs to be more efficient and ECU will always be wrong for having fired McNeill to hire Scottie Montgomery. McNeill has a history of beating UNC and I expect the offense could allow App to not only stick around with USC but provide the same passing game diversity we saw this year against Penn State.
OC Lincoln Riley at ECU was the offensive savant responsible for beating Carolina
That's right. And he was a position coach at Texas Tech under Mike Leach who went with Ruffin to Greenville. Lincoln Riley was a great coach, but even his presence at ECU in 2015 wouldn't have helped improve the teams record dramatically. Ultimately ECU lost two QB's when Carden (holds many records at ECU) and Benkert graduated and was hurt, respectively. Justin Hardy was also a record setting Wide Receiver.

But Ruffin had one down year after he got the program on track to sustainability, an issue he wouldn't have at App, and that was due to factors that would have a great effect on many G5 programs.
Even after Riley left our offensive Staff was loaded with Air Raid guys. 3 guys either left before or after went to Washington State with Leach that I'm sure would love to be OC and probably leave there for a chance.

-Dave Nichols was the OC, had been with Mike Leach at Texas Tech and Sonny Dykes at Arizona and a JUCO OC that set all kind of records. He's back with Leach at Washington State. Clearly an Air Raid guy with a lot more experience than Riley ever had.

-Garret Riley, Lincoln's brother who was clearly being groomed by Lincoln and Nichols to be the next air raid guy. He's at Kansas now.

-Donnie Kirkpatick. He left ECU after Ruff was fired and went to JMU where they won a national title and averaged 47ppg as OC. He didn't run the air raid exclusively but clearly was trained in it spending 6 years under Ruff 5 under Riley. He's back at ECU now.

Point is Ruff would have no issue bringing in an Air Raid guy he's coached with most all of the ones that were with Leach and still are or probably has another young guy that's been learning under Riley. Might even call his younger brother back.
Last edited by ECU on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”