If Doug Gillin called you...

ComebackShack
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 73 times

If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

...and on the spot asked for you to make the App State HC hire, who are you picking?

Thankfully, no one is going to be put in this situation, but first name that comes to mind for me is probably Nate Woody and bring in Dwayne Ledford as OC.


Go App

appgrad95&97
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 am

I can't wait for the laughter: Greg Schiano. A three or four year "rehab" might not be bad for him or us.



appstate77
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Little River, South Carolina
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 347 times
Contact:

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am

Whomever can keep the culture strong.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am
...and on the spot asked for you to make the App State HC hire, who are you picking?

Thankfully, no one is going to be put in this situation, but first name that comes to mind for me is probably Nate Woody and bring in Dwayne Ledford as OC.
Keep Ivey on as DC and I'm in.



User avatar
ASUPATCH
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Denver, CO
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 am

Horton, then get the Valdosta coach as OC. Try and bring Woody back up for DC.


Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!
Image

Boroneer10
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:06 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am

Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
Last edited by Boroneer10 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4134
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 255 times
Been thanked: 948 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am

Woody as HC, with Horton as OC/Associate HC.

Spend a lot of money, please.


NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am
Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that!

Yosef10
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Eli Drinkwitz.



appstate77
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Little River, South Carolina
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 347 times
Contact:

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Budgem Snark from down the road in Mayberry .



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Ruffin McNeill. Bring Oklahoma Position Coach for OC and try to retain a position coach from Satterfields staff as DC. Too much talent on offense for it to be a run and gun variant. Passing game needs to be more efficient and ECU will always be wrong for having fired McNeill to hire Scottie Montgomery. McNeill has a history of beating UNC and I expect the offense could allow App to not only stick around with USC but provide the same passing game diversity we saw this year against Penn State.

McNeills 5-7 season was the result of losing Shane Carden and Justin Hardy to graduation, losing Lincoln Riley to Kentucky, and then losing Kurt Benkert to a season ending knee injury. Their first season in the AAC saw ECU go 8-4, and he helped ECU get to 10 wins for the first time since 1991. ECU dropped 70 points on UNC, had NC State down 42-7 with 5 minutes left in the game, and managed to beat Virginia Tech in the 5-7 season. He was DC at App during a successful run and this would likely be a destination job for him at this point in his career. With the roster as it is now, there would be little to no drop off and possibly even elevation on the offensive side of the ball.
Last edited by ericsaid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?



ukappfan
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Horton is interesting. Haveing an SEC guy would be great and from all reports he is liked by players. I highly doubt woody would come back for anything short of HC.



Black Saturday
Posts: 8436
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm
Ruffin McNeill. Bring Oklahoma Position Coach for OC and try to retain a position coach from Satterfields staff as DC. Too much talent on offense for it to be a run and gun variant. Passing game needs to be more efficient and ECU will always be wrong for having fired McNeill to hire Scottie Montgomery. McNeill has a history of beating UNC and I expect the offense could allow App to not only stick around with USC but provide the same passing game diversity we saw this year against Penn State.
OC Lincoln Riley at ECU was the offensive savant responsible for beating Carolina


BLACK SATURDAY

ukappfan
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?
What did Satterfield do close to a HC? He was a position coach then OC for what one year before coming back to app.



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?
What did Satterfield do close to a HC? He was a position coach then OC for what one year before coming back to app.
He was OC at both Toledo and FIU. Came back as Associate Head Coch and OC to App. Prior to leaving App he had a lot of input in game planning and likely was a leader of the coaching staff. There was a lot that Satterfield did.



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm
Ruffin McNeill. Bring Oklahoma Position Coach for OC and try to retain a position coach from Satterfields staff as DC. Too much talent on offense for it to be a run and gun variant. Passing game needs to be more efficient and ECU will always be wrong for having fired McNeill to hire Scottie Montgomery. McNeill has a history of beating UNC and I expect the offense could allow App to not only stick around with USC but provide the same passing game diversity we saw this year against Penn State.
OC Lincoln Riley at ECU was the offensive savant responsible for beating Carolina
That's right. And he was a position coach at Texas Tech under Mike Leach who went with Ruffin to Greenville. Lincoln Riley was a great coach, but even his presence at ECU in 2015 wouldn't have helped improve the teams record dramatically. Ultimately ECU lost two QB's when Carden (holds many records at ECU) and Benkert graduated and was hurt, respectively. Justin Hardy was also a record setting Wide Receiver.

But Ruffin had one down year after he got the program on track to sustainability, an issue he wouldn't have at App, and that was due to factors that would have a great effect on many G5 programs.



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Neal Brown- He hasn't had any better offers. ;) :lol:



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 am
I can't wait for the laughter: Greg Schiano. A three or four year "rehab" might not be bad for him or us.
LOLOLOL

Happy? :lol:



ericsaid
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 pm
Neal Brown- He hasn't had any better offers. ;) :lol:
:lol: :lol:



HighlandsApp
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: If Doug Gillin called you...

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 pm
ukappfan wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am
Tim Horton, he's spent the past 7 years doing one of the most difficult/high pressure jobs in college football which is being a recruiting coordinator in the SEC West. That would be a huge advantage for us. His familiarity with Malzahns offense would refine and add wrinkles to our current read option game. Plus his experience at large SEC schools knowing how a big time program should be run is something we need.
What has Tim Horton done with the responsibility, or close to the responsibility, of a Head Coach?
What did Satterfield do close to a HC? He was a position coach then OC for what one year before coming back to app.
He was OC at both Toledo and FIU. Came back as Associate Head Coch and OC to App. Prior to leaving App he had a lot of input in game planning and likely was a leader of the coaching staff. There was a lot that Satterfield did.
He was position coach at Toledo. Then position coach at FIU year one to OC year two.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”