Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The changes begin at App State, and the next chapter looms

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

The changes begin at App State, and the next chapter looms

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm

App State Football article today from Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal - "The changes begin at App State, and the next chapter looms"

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... e%20Sports

Beat MTSU!!

GO ARMY!! Beat Navy!!
Give Em Hell!!

Apptrain

Re: The changes begin at App State, and the next chapter looms

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm

I love Ethan’s articles. But I take exception to the comment about Satt building so much success. Satt took over a winning program. Louisville will see if he is truly an architect. Satt didn’t destroy a good thing, but I’m not ready to give him too much credit for building. Jerry was the architect of sustained winning.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm
I love Ethan’s articles. But I take exception to the comment about Satt building so much success. Satt took over a winning program. Louisville will see if he is truly an architect. Satt didn’t destroy a good thing, but I’m not ready to give him too much credit for building. Jerry was the architect of sustained winning.
Good post.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Apptrain wrote:
There is a huge difference in the program Satt took over and the one he left. He took an FCS team that was losing in the early rounds and increased the average win total while stepping up in competition. He clearly built a lot of success here.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Apptrain wrote:
The infrastructure and fan support was certainly in place for a coach to succeed at Appalachian…But to act like it was Jerry’s work that helped us win the last 5 years is just silly. If we make a New Year’s 6 bowl game five years from now, is that Scott’s work?

You may not want to hear it, Coach Moore was holding us back at the end. We were sleepwalking to 8 or 9 wins a year in a mediocre conference, then losing early in the playoffs to a CAA or MVC team in our stadium.

He was never able to recapture the magic once his key assistants moved on. You must not remember that we had to gut our entire coaching staff of a bunch of bad eggs and unqualified hires after ‘11, including Coach Moore’s knucklehead son, and demote a few guys. Scott came in as AHC in ‘12 and hired almost the entire staff that moved up to FBS with us. We were a shell of what we were in the ‘00s from 10-13, despite what the W-L record says.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 am

We were winning , and on the cusp of being a 1-AA power when Jerry arrived.We were up and down until we hit the glory years , then of course slid backwards slowly.Scott took us to the next level and I am hoping we land a leader to take us to the next .

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

appvette wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Apptrain wrote:
There is a huge difference in the program Satt took over and the one he left. He took an FCS team that was losing in the early rounds and increased the average win total while stepping up in competition. He clearly built a lot of success here.
An FCS team which won 3 straight I-AA National Championships (that's not losing in the early rounds, is it?) and beat Michigan with 20 something less scholarships. Yes he built a lot of success here at ASU but he likely wouldn't even have been an assistant coach at our alma mater had Jerry Moore not even taken him as a walk on quarterback decades ago. There's plenty of credit it to be passed around for our successes and lots of blame for our few failings. At one time, most of the credit went to Charlie Cobb (at least on our message boards).
Last edited by NewApp on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am

If most our successes depended on Satterfield's presence , why didn't we beat at least one of Tennessee, Penn State, or Miami (at home) and Wake Forest (also at home)?
Google SUX

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am
If most our successes depended on Satterfield's presence , why didn't we beat at least one of Tennessee, Penn State, or Miami (at home) and Wake Forest (also at home)?
This! Wake, Tennessee and Penn State should have been Ws. Miami was just better they drummed us ... might have been out coached in that one.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:13 am

Apptrain wrote:
100% agree. We will find out at Louisville. I love Satt personally and believe he is a good coach but folks on here and at the games sometimes credit our alumni a little too much because they played at App. We have had some former players who were not good at their jobs and had some who are great at their jobs. Satt is good but to say he is the architect here is not true. Shocked some already forget what Jerry Moore built. With Moore, Satt would not even have been at App so in grand scheme he was the architect.

Let's also see what the new head coach does in 2019. If they go 13-0 they will have already done 3 things that Satt never did (undefeated season, beat a P5, and swept the SBC). Thank you to Satt but let's hope the next man can take us even further! There is opportunity to do so with our personnel.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 am

I keep seeing postings of predictions we're going 13-0 next year; but we'll have 12 regular season games, the Sun Belt Conference Championship game (again in Boone) and then the bowl game (hopefully NY6!). Being a financial professional I can verify that all of that adds up to 14 games...so we're gonna go 14-0 with 2 P5 wins over both Carolinas and possibly a 3rd P5 win over our bowl opponent. Top 15 ranking?!?

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am

I just want to beat GaSo to show them we can beat them even with a new coach.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am

appvette wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Well he certainly didn't lose in early rounds. We didn't have the ability to do that with him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 am

For all of the uber-optimists aboard...

Maybe we'd be wise to hire a coach and staff; replace all the recruiting de-commits; try to hold the transfer attrition to a minimum and get through spring practice before we start counting '19 wins. Ya think?

There will be attrition of quality players unless a lot of attention is given to our current under-classmen; and redshirts (like CP for instance) who can transfer and still have four full years of eligibility.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 am

Maybe we'd be wise to hire a coach and staff; replace all the recruiting de-commits; try to hold the transfer attrition to a minimum and get through spring practice before we start counting '19 wins. Ya think?

There will be attrition of quality players unless a lot of attention is given to our current under-classmen; and redshirts (like CP for instance) who can transfer and still have four full years of eligibility.
So they transfer and sit out a year or ride it out at a program they committed to in order to win Championships. The insinuation here is that all of App's success is due to Scott Satterfield and not the other way around.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 am
I keep seeing postings of predictions we're going 13-0 next year; but we'll have 12 regular season games, the Sun Belt Conference Championship game (again in Boone) and then the bowl game (hopefully NY6!). Being a financial professional I can verify that all of that adds up to 14 games...so we're gonna go 14-0 with 2 P5 wins over both Carolinas and possibly a 3rd P5 win over our bowl opponent. Top 15 ranking?!?
Let's see who the opponent is first. I feel the same way but I want to be a realist. We could seriously go 13-0 for sure. To me our floor is 10-3 prior to a bowl and ceiling is 13-0 prior to a bowl.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 pm
asu66 wrote:

There will be attrition of quality players unless a lot of attention is given to our current underclassmen; and redshirts (like CP for instance) who can transfer and still have four full years of eligibility.
So they transfer and sit out a year or ride it out at a program they committed to in order to win Championships. The insinuation here is that all of App's success is due to Scott Satterfield and not the other way around.
We have a lot of naive fans who believe this. Probably just folks who are under 35 and did not become fans until they came to App. Scott is good and I loved him but he did not do this by himself. He will be the first to tell people that.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 pm
asu66 wrote:

You're completely misunderstanding my post. All of this "undefeated '19" spin assumes that the current roster will remain intact (sans graduating seniors) and that we'll haul in all of our targeted recruits. Player/position coach attrition is one of the negative intangibles of head coaching changes. When the chances of the new head coach coming from "outside" are 50/50 or greater, the chances of major attrition go up.

It can be hard to play for a coach who didn't recruit you. It can also be hard for a coach to work with a player he didn't recruit.

This is the unknown territory into which App now ventures.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

App90

Unread post by App90 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 pm

I think that ASU's system was built on the foundation by alot of prior coaches including Jerry Moore, and when it started to decline some what in 2012, 2013, 2014. Satt was able to build it back up with quality coaching hires and great recruiting. But the brand and culture has been in place at ASU for a long time. I just had a kid tell me if he did not get on offer from a P5 hes going to a top notch program like ASU, Boise State, Georgia Southern and so forth. Now I posed this question to this kid who is headed to a P5. Who would he choose Alabama, ND, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, or even Michigan and Miami, or Louisville, this kid said he would consider Louisville if it was the only P5 offer he had. But he still may go to a smaller school. That is telling right now.
That is what Satts up against, maybe he rebuilds UL I hope he does, but there are some things going against him. Its a basketball school, and they have the problem of Petrino still lingering. Either way I wish Satt the best and I hope he succeeds.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:53 pm

App90 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 pm
I think that ASU's system was built on the foundation by alot of prior coaches including Jerry Moore, and when it started to decline some what in 2012, 2013, 2014. Satt was able to build it back up with quality coaching hires and great recruiting. But the brand and culture has been in place at ASU for a long time. I just had a kid tell me if he did not get on offer from a P5 hes going to a top notch program like ASU, Boise State, Georgia Southern and so forth. Now I posed this question to this kid who is headed to a P5. Who would he choose Alabama, ND, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, or even Michigan and Miami, or Louisville, this kid said he would consider Louisville if it was the only P5 offer he had. But he still may go to a smaller school. That is telling right now.
That is what Satts up against, maybe he rebuilds UL I hope he does, but there are some things going against him. Its a basketball school, and they have the problem of Petrino still lingering. Either way I wish Satt the best and I hope he succeeds.
If you get the chance.... Ask him would he rather go to a top notch G5 and play/start 4 years or go to a P5 and get on the field his last 2 years.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”