Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Josh Gattis

diehardapp18
School: Appalachian State

Re: Josh Gattis

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:42 am
diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 am
So just out of curiosity, what makes this guy so great? He has one year of OC exp. and that is as a Co. He took over play calling for a team so loaded with talent, that any play that he called was going to work.
I mean he definitely would come with some risk. It would be a big step up for him, but I think a lot of us just love the ceiling and view Gattis as a guy who checks a lot of the boxes in what we’re looking for in a head coach.

He’s young, ambitious, and has been learning from the best coach in the history of college football. For us, he also has ties to the state. For me that’s exactly what I’m looking for.
Sure he has a higher ceiling but will we ever benefit from it? He would likely parley this gig into another one in a couple of years. Thanks for the input. We are looking for different attributes in a new HC.
So you're saying you'd rather have a coach give you 10 mediocre seasons than a coach give you 3 great ones?

ECU
School: East Carolina

Unread post by ECU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:36 am
appgrad wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 pm
Can someone explain to me why Ruffin McNeil would be under consideration besides the fact he's been a head coach before? At this point the success he had ECU can be attributed to Lincoln Riley right?
Yeah… Can’t imagine why we would want to hire a guy who had the foresight to pluck an obscure assistant off of Texas Tech’s staff, who then turns into a coaching superstar. Boggles the mind! 🙄
That’s the reason you’d like him to be the new coach? We’re really setting a low bar here. Ruffin played a huge hand in ECU going 14-34 the last 4 years, but he was an App DC for 3 years so...
That's fake news as I illustrated prior. Scottie Mo owns nearly all of the terribleness because he's a terrible coach. He couldn't even get decent production out of a Gardner Minshew that left and won the freaking Unitus award so how are you going to blame Ruff for how any of they looked under him. Most players that left did so because they thought Ruff was screwed over as he was.

Ruff also played a huge hand in where Oklahoma is right now. Who was the first person Riley called up to be his Associate Head Coach and work as his right hand man and help guide him his first year? It's not like he called him in from Western Carolina either he was the top assistant at Virginia. Who did he turn too when he felt like he had to make a bold defensive firing early in the year to run his Defense and where did it get them? He's been a great asset to Oklahoma just as he was to Texas Tech.

The TT guys told us that Ruff handled nearly all the motivational pre game speaches and discipline stuff for Leach, and Leach just focused on the Offense because he wasn't into that. I would imagine Riley has leaned on him heavily beyond what is clear. He also has a Air Raid Rolodex of quality coaches to run it and a good eye and was clearly committed to it.
Last edited by ECU on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am
AppSt94 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So just out of curiosity, what makes this guy so great? He has one year of OC exp. and that is as a Co. He took over play calling for a team so loaded with talent, that any play that he called was going to work.
I mean he definitely would come with some risk. It would be a big step up for him, but I think a lot of us just love the ceiling and view Gattis as a guy who checks a lot of the boxes in what we’re looking for in a head coach.

He’s young, ambitious, and has been learning from the best coach in the history of college football. For us, he also has ties to the state. For me that’s exactly what I’m looking for.
Sure he has a higher ceiling but will we ever benefit from it? He would likely parley this gig into another one in a couple of years. Thanks for the input. We are looking for different attributes in a new HC.
So you're saying you'd rather have a coach give you 10 mediocre seasons than a coach give you 3 great ones?
How do you freely assume that if it isn't Gattis that we would be in for 10 mediocre seasons? How do we really know how good Gattis is? He is playing with a loaded deck right now. I'm not saying that he is a bad coach but you have to take into account the situation that he is working with.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 am

Meh with hiring Satt back. You don't bring a coach back (UNC-CH was stupid stupid stupid). I may be the minority but I won't be pulling for UL. Satt is now a Card and therefore the enemy. UL will not be my new P5 I pull for. Sorry I don't have a P5 that I pull for per say. I like to see upsets so I always pull for the dog. I am an App grad x2 and I will always pull for the black and gold. UL can suck it. I never have liked them anyway.

We should be going to the bank because of them but DG did mess that up. His one mistake since being here.

Go Apps! TO hell with everyone else. So no ... lets not bring Satt back.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:19 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 am
diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am
AppSt94 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

How do you freely assume that if it isn't Gattis that we would be in for 10 mediocre seasons? How do we really know how good Gattis is? He is playing with a loaded deck right now. I'm not saying that he is a bad coach but you have to take into account the situation that he is working with.
He would be playing with a loaded deck here too.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 am

That is my point. He is currently successful as a first time OC with the best collection of talent available in football. He would be successful for the next two years with someone elses cultivated talent. He hasn't done anything on his own yet to annoint him as the next best HC.

He may very well be a very good coach. But if we are throwing out random scenarios of doom and gloom, what if in turn ruins our culture and identity and walks after two years of faux success and in turn dismantles everything that has been created? Are you OK with that?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 am

Any coach we bring on is going to have some drawbacks.

Out of the names that have been mentioned most frequently, none are current HCs, some are not even co-coordinators.

For me, Gattis checks the most boxes, except for maybe Woody.

Would love to see a package of Gattis and Woods as AHC but know that’s a pipe dream

ECU

Unread post by ECU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 am

appgrad wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 pm
OU still runs the ball very well, but throw the ball much better...I wouldn't mind that here. That said - Ruffin was pretty up and down at ECU. Still don't think they should've fired him...but it wouldn't really be the kind of hire I want us to make.

I'm just saying - a huge part of a HC's success is hiring the right people. He hit a Grand Slam with one of his first hires. That's a point in his favor, if we're keeping score.
We played brutal schedules under Ruff most years. Typically one of the best OOC's in the nation. Look at some of our rushing numbers. That's the misconception. We had guys that were carrying the ball for 6.5, or 6.7 yards a carry and running for 1000+ yards a season in that system as well while also being big passing game threats as well.

He picked Riley over more qualified guys even on that first staff so clearly he had an eye for talent and he was grooming his younger Brother to take over for Nichols. He had a succession plan for continued success.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am

As long as we are in the Sun Belt Conference, we will always be a stepping stone for coaches. Sun Belt has improved over the years, but facts are facts. Not too many coaches see themselves staying in the Sun Belt long term. With that being said, it should be taken into consideration with the next hire. You will not find another Jerry Moore, but you can still find a guy that keeps the culture rolling for the three years he may possibly be here. We all knew Satterfield would leave one day, should expect that going forward.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pm

ECU wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 am
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why Ruffin McNeil would be under consideration besides the fact he's been a head coach before? At this point the success he had ECU can be attributed to Lincoln Riley right?
Yeah… Can’t imagine why we would want to hire a guy who had the foresight to pluck an obscure assistant off of Texas Tech’s staff, who then turns into a coaching superstar. Boggles the mind! 🙄
That’s the reason you’d like him to be the new coach? We’re really setting a low bar here. Ruffin played a huge hand in ECU going 14-34 the last 4 years, but he was an App DC for 3 years so...
That's fake news as I illustrated prior. Scottie Mo owns nearly all of the terribleness because he's a terrible coach. He couldn't even get decent production out of a Gardner Minshew that left and won the freaking Unitus award so how are you going to blame Ruff for how any of they looked under him. Most players that left did so because they thought Ruff was screwed over as he was.

Ruff also played a huge hand in where Oklahoma is right now. Who was the first person Riley called up to be his Associate Head Coach and work as his right hand man and help guide him his first year? It's not like he called him in from Western Carolina either he was the top assistant at Virginia. Who did he turn too when he felt like he had to make a bold defensive firing early in the year to run his Defense and where did it get them? He's been a great asset to Oklahoma just as he was to Texas Tech.

The TT guys told us that Ruff handled nearly all the motivational pre game speaches and discipline stuff for Leach, and Leach just focused on the Offense because he wasn't into that. I would imagine Riley has leaned on him heavily beyond what is clear. He also has a Air Raid Rolodex of quality coaches to run it and a good eye and was clearly committed to it.
How many times do we need to say it? We don't want to run the dam Air Raid, stop trying to sell us on your old past his prime coach

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 am
That is my point. He is currently successful as a first time OC with the best collection of talent available in football. He would be successful for the next two years with someone elses cultivated talent. He hasn't done anything on his own yet to annoint him as the next best HC.

He may very well be a very good coach. But if we are throwing out random scenarios of doom and gloom, what if in turn ruins our culture and identity and walks after two years of faux success and in turn dismantles everything that has been created? Are you OK with that?
I’m not cool at all with someone coming in and possibly gutting our remaining black and gold blood coaches. We can still win big time by building on what’s left.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am
As long as we are in the Sun Belt Conference, we will always be a stepping stone for coaches. Sun Belt has improved over the years, but facts are facts. Not too many coaches see themselves staying in the Sun Belt long term. With that being said, it should be taken into consideration with the next hire. You will not find another Jerry Moore, but you can still find a guy that keeps the culture rolling for the three years he may possibly be here. We all knew Satterfield would leave one day, should expect that going forward.
Until we are in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of either the a P5 conference and are paying >$6 million a year for our head coach, we will be a stepping stone. Any program that wins and is not at the absolute top of the college football hierarchy is a potential stepping stone. That includes 100% of the G5 and the majority of the P5. Kentucky had an excellent year and is a great position right now but if Alabama (or Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida....etc.) calls they are likely to lose their coach.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Yes. We are either a stepping stone or the last stone for a coach. Go Apps #BeatMTSU
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am
As long as we aren't Michigan/Ohio State/USC/Notre Dame/Alabama/Texas/Oklahoma, we will always be a stepping stone for coaches. And even half of those schools are stepping stones to the NFL...

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pm
ECU wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:

How many times do we need to say it? We don't want to run the dam Air Raid, stop trying to sell us on your old past his prime coach
We aren’t going for Ruffin......no need to waste time typing so much on him. The only reason he is on the Scoop is due to his prior history here.....
The Appalachian State

ECU

Unread post by ECU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
ECU wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
Boroneer10 wrote:

Same number of times you post the same nonsense I guess. Ruff just turned 60. Saban is 67. Coach K is in his 70's, how old was Jerry Moore when he had his best seasons 67 and 68 years old.

You don't want Ruff compared to the likes of Tim Horton, Josh Gatis and Nate Woody? Good grief. Ruff would retire there, you'd be lucky to have him a decade IMO and if that were the options.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:42 pm

ECU wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
ECU wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad wrote:

Same number of times you post the same nonsense I guess. Ruff just turned 60. Saban is 67. Coach K is in his 70's, how old was Jerry Moore when he had his best seasons 67 and 68 years old.

You don't want Ruff compared to the likes of Tim Horton, Josh Gatis and Nate Woody? Good grief. Ruff would retire there, you'd be lucky to have him a decade IMO and if that were the options.
ECU, You guys take Ruffin back and we will take Houston. Fair enough?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm

I don’t want that ass clown Houston either.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm
I don’t want that ass clown Houston either.
Who do you want?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm

It won't be Ruffin.it won't be Horton. At this point, the only "leaders in the clubhouse" might be internals for all we know.
I'm tired of stressing about it, I hate that we have this on our minds instead of the whooping we should be putting on MTSU this weekend.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”