Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Josh Gattis

asu7
School: Appalachian State

Josh Gattis

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 pm

https://www.12up.com/posts/6240791-repo ... n-maryland

Am I reading too much into this?

Also football scoop says we could know this weekend that DG is moving fast.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-ap ... ng-search/

appgrad

Re: Josh Gattis

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Interesting. With the number of assistants we are, and may continue to lose… I started to wonder if there might be a darkhorse candidate from outside.

Admittedly not familiar with this guy, but he is a North Carolina native and a Wake Forest alumnus. Only 34 though.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Would be an absolute homerun hire. I'm sure he's in for a promotion under Saban with Locksley leaving, and hell Locksley himself is already working to get him to join at Maryland. Can't imagine he'd take this gig when he could be making more money elsewhere.

But since Brown is out the window, this is by far my favorite name I've heard yet. He's learning from the greatest to ever do it, he's from NC (played at Wake), has the makings of a great recruiter, etc. This would be an absolute homerun.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Interesting - doesn't sound like it far along, but good find nonetheless. Intriguing candidate - I remember him from Wake but wasn't really familiar with his coaching career.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm

MIGHT be lucky enough to keep him 5 years .

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Getting someone who has learned directly from freaking Nick Saban would be absolutely incredible. I would hope we would keep Ivey on as DC.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:20 am

Bring this man to the mountain DG

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 am

Apptrain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm
True, and that's being optimistic. But we'll have the same issue with almost anyone we hire.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 am
Apptrain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm
True, and that's being optimistic. But we'll have the same issue with almost anyone we hire.
That’s why if we can find a good candidate in early to mid 50’s by the time they carry on the winning tradition for 5 years they’ll be in mid to late 50’s and not as likely to be plucked by a p5 looking for a young coach to rebuild their program. I think all of us, including Gillin if he is still here, would like to avoid this mess in another 5 years. I’m saying this only if we can find a great coach in that age range. We might have a coach for 10 to 15 years as opposed to 5. Just my preference. Of course, if Satt fails at Louisville that might indicate to other p5 programs that it’s the App program more so than the head coach that accounts for our winning. Not wishing Satt fails, just saying.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 am

Guys, it’s very unlikely another Jerry Moore situation is going to occur here. You’re just going to frustrate yourselves if that’s where your placing the bar. We just had an App State alum stay 6 years. That should open you fellas eyes just a bit. Gonna have to get used to it.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 am

Tim Horton would stay until retirement, keep many App black and gold faithful who do well at coaching and keep the first class environment that Jerry Moore and Satterfield have. I am telling you not just anyone can come to Boone and be successful, they have to embrace Boone, the culture, the fans, and the community. This has been seen with the failed experiment when McMahon was not hired, instead it was Capel, and hopefully basketball has a successful season this year.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:22 am

Potential "loyalty" is the very last factor we should take into consideration with hire. That's how you hire a coach with a mediocre resume that runs the program into the ground. You hire the best candidate you have, regardless of age or ties to the school. Good G5 programs know replacing coaches is just the nature of the beast. There's a problem when you aren't having to replace coaches. That means you're mediocre. When other programs want your coaches? It means you're winning.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 am

We have to learn how to maintain culture with guys that stay for 5 years. We want to be the best G5 team we have to learn how to remain good during coaching transitions just like UCF. We have to set the bar that whoever we have we still win. We have to make the next man up mentality work for us.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 pm
Would be an absolute homerun hire. I'm sure he's in for a promotion under Saban with Locksley leaving, and hell Locksley himself is already working to get him to join at Maryland. Can't imagine he'd take this gig when he could be making more money elsewhere.

But since Brown is out the window, this is by far my favorite name I've heard yet. He's learning from the greatest to ever do it, he's from NC (played at Wake), has the makings of a great recruiter, etc. This would be an absolute homerun.
I don't know that there is a home run hire in our price range, but he certainly seems to have lot of potential and checks a lot of boxes. If we're stepping outside of our app family/coaching tree (and I'm not advocating that we must stay in the family), I'd be excited about this hire and imagine our players would also.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Gattis was a great player at Wake and was beloved by the fanbase. Fans have wanted to get him back to wake for a while. Don't think Clawson will be bringing any old Grobe guys back due to traitor Tommy Elrod and his WakeyLeaks. This would be a great get for App. But the money Bama has not sure we can compete.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 am
Guys, it’s very unlikely another Jerry Moore situation is going to occur here. You’re just going to frustrate yourselves if that’s where your placing the bar. We just had an App State alum stay 6 years. That should open you fellas eyes just a bit. Gonna have to get used to it.
Can we be honest about Moore? We were pretty good for his first 16 years here - but not great. The fanbase had a lukewarm relationship with him, and hated that he was so loyal to his borderline incompetent OC, Rob Best. We went undefeated in '95, but lost in the QFs, and missed the playoffs 4 of his first 9 years here.

Things went pretty well from 98-02...but we still only made the Semis once, and won 2 outright conference titles, in his first 15 years.

We hit a streak from '05-'09, and Jerry deserves credit for being able to adapt to a hot trend in college offense before others did at our level. Most coaches at that stage in their career wouldn't have had the energy to do that.

That said - even if he had wanted to leave before '07, he wouldn't have had the chance. The Michigan game made him hot for a second, until people realized he was 68.

He lasted so long because he won 8-9 games a year and made the playoffs...and that was good enough for most at the time, particularly our indifferent AD and Chancellor.

If we want a guy like that - we can easily get him...but we have higher expectations now.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm

dubs21 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:08 pm
... This would be a great get for App. But the money Bama has not sure we can compete.
We'd be silly to get into a bidding war with Alabama as they can easily throw more money at him than we can. However, what they can't offer him is a HC position. If we make a respectable offer he may accept. There's not too many FBS openings that are as ripe for success as ours.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

PJ42

Unread post by PJ42 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Gattis would be an interesting hire.

Hiring within the family is great but I would love to see DG think outside of the box as well.

Kendal Briles looks to be the next OC at UTenn. Difficult to believe that we could offer him enough money to be HC but would love to see what he could do with this offense next year. No ties to NC and people will hold his Dad's actions against him.... but he could likely take Thomas and this offense to another level.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm

I promise you he’s not getting paid very much to be an OC at UConn. They aren’t very good and have tepid fan support.

That said… Wasn’t he fired at FAU earlier this year?

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 pm

appgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 am
Can we be honest about Moore? We were pretty good for his first 16 years here - but not great. The fanbase had a lukewarm relationship with him, and hated that he was so loyal to his borderline incompetent OC, Rob Best. We went undefeated in '95, but lost in the QFs, and missed the playoffs 4 of his first 9 years here.

Things went pretty well from 98-02...but we still only made the Semis once, and won 2 outright conference titles, in his first 15 years.

We hit a streak from '05-'09, and Jerry deserves credit for being able to adapt to a hot trend in college offense before others did at our level. Most coaches at that stage in their career wouldn't have had the energy to do that.

That said - even if he had wanted to leave before '07, he wouldn't have had the chance. The Michigan game made him hot for a second, until people realized he was 68.

He lasted so long because he won 8-9 games a year and made the playoffs...and that was good enough for most at the time, particularly our indifferent AD and Chancellor.

If we want a guy like that - we can easily get him...but we have higher expectations now.
I’ll be honest about Coach Moore. He brought us the NC’s in a row and the biggest upset in college football history which forever changed our university for the better, on and off the field. He dedicated himself to this program for 23 years and had a higher winning percentage than Satt. That’s all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”