Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ledford

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ledford

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am
Why do you feel that his career hinges on this hire? I don’t think that he has to be swift on this hire. I realize that signing day is coming up, but it shouldn’t be a driving factor to hire hastily. We won’t lose everyone and the class is small, so is next year’s. The vast majority of our starters next year are currently Sophomores and Freshmen, we have no ”Freshmores”. So if there is a savings grace, the class was small to begin with.
Perhaps I was being a little dramatic but this is the biggest hire that DG has had to make as our AD. I would think any schools looking at DG in the future will evaluate his hiring record for coaches as that's obviously a critical job function for an AD. Furthermore, if the new guy turns into a dumpster fire starter then that's not just going to cause major headaches for DG but would also impact his job performance reviews especially if there are other bad hires that happen, like for basketball or whatever.
On the other hand, if his hire turns out to be a home run (similar to what he's accomplished with scheduling P5s to come to Boone) then he's going to be a highly sought after AD that P5 schools, or even richer G5s would pursue with big contracts.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 am

After reading Moose's posting, it's clear this original post could be (probably is) totally bogus, Yosefshat joined here on the 3rd, which was this past Monday.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:26 am

A Fake Grady Davis UNCC troll?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:55 am

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Why do you feel that his career hinges on this hire? I don’t think that he has to be swift on this hire. I realize that signing day is coming up, but it shouldn’t be a driving factor to hire hastily. We won’t lose everyone and the class is small, so is next year’s. The vast majority of our starters next year are currently Sophomores and Freshmen, we have no ”Freshmores”. So if there is a savings grace, the class was small to begin with.
Perhaps I was being a little dramatic but this is the biggest hire that DG has had to make as our AD. I would think any schools looking at DG in the future will evaluate his hiring record for coaches as that's obviously a critical job function for an AD. Furthermore, if the new guy turns into a dumpster fire starter then that's not just going to cause major headaches for DG but would also impact his job performance reviews especially if there are other bad hires that happen, like for basketball or whatever.
On the other hand, if his hire turns out to be a home run (similar to what he's accomplished with scheduling P5s to come to Boone) then he's going to be a highly sought after AD that P5 schools, or even richer G5s would pursue with big contracts.
Fair enough. I think that anyone that is hired is going to benefit from immediate success with the youthful talent. This is part of the reason that I feel it is important to maintain as much of the current staff as possible. I’m not too worried with the team over the next two years, but if we win 10+ over the next two years, it is possible that the next coach moves on and the condition of the program when they leave will be a determinate of future success.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:55 am
Rick83 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fair enough. I think that anyone that is hired is going to benefit from immediate success with the youthful talent. This is part of the reason that I feel it is important to maintain as much of the current staff as possible. I’m not too worried with the team over the next two years, but if we win 10+ over the next two years, it is possible that the next coach moves on and the condition of the program when they leave will be a determinate of future success.
I definitely agree that the new hire will benefit from the current young roster but any school looking at the new hire's performance will likely factor that into their assessment of the guy. And conversely, if the new guy tanks for whatever reason then it's going to look bad on both him and DG for making a bad hire given that Satt left the program in such good shape.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 am

Whoever we hire would be wise to try to keep every coach that doesn’t leave on their own. My opine.

yosefshat

Unread post by yosefshat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:40 am

soon :)

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 pm
asu66 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm
Let me see if I have this straight. The athletic department announces a national search for our next head FB coach and hires a professional search firm to screen candidates, prepare profiles, do background checks and run analytics to "project" probability of success for each candidate in a head coaching assignment...and our finalists were...presto...voilà...right under our noses all the time...Ledford and Ivey. If that plays out to be factual, what a colossal waste of time and university resources. #@$%!!!!

Any of us could have prepared that list last week--pro bono.
As for our list, I could see that happening. If you do the coaching search right I don't see how we interview all these good candidates and truly give a look to every name with a good resume who wants the job by Sunday or Monday without basically looking at the staff internally.
Speaking of time...I read on FootballScoop that our folks found time to interview Mark Speir--who's on track to get fired at WCU based on a win percentage of about .360 after seven years on the job. If this interview really happened it was obviously done as a courtesy based on Speir's previous employment at ASU. No search firm would send this application forward as a serious candidate. It just wouldn't happen. No slap at Coach Speir intended. From everything I've heard about him, he's a fine fellow. He's just not cut from head coaching "fabric" for ASU.
What are you talking about? A Western coach going .360 belings in the hall of fame!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm

CLTApp11 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am
The Rock wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 am
Gillin said in the interview he didn’t get a search firm. He assembled a committee check backgrounds and references but he has 100% say in the process
Not sure what interview you're listening to but he clearly says they've engaged Parker out of Atlanta to aid in the search (5:10 mark of the interview w/ App State Mania) and that they have NOT set up a committee but have an internal group that will be reviewing candidates and ultimately making the decision.
Wouldn’t an internal group be a committee?
I didn’t hear about a firm, but was pretty sure he said earlier in the week they did not hire a firm, but were using a committee/internal group to vette the candidates

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 am
Some folks are setting the next coach up for failure.

Let’s tap the brakes.
Nothing is different from the last coaching change then.
BLACK SATURDAY

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm
CLTApp11 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Gillin said in the interview he didn’t get a search firm. He assembled a committee check backgrounds and references but he has 100% say in the process
Not sure what interview you're listening to but he clearly says they've engaged Parker out of Atlanta to aid in the search (5:10 mark of the interview w/ App State Mania) and that they have NOT set up a committee but have an internal group that will be reviewing candidates and ultimately making the decision.
Wouldn’t an internal group be a committee?
I didn’t hear about a firm, but was pretty sure he said earlier in the week they did not hire a firm, but were using a committee/internal group to vette the candidates
Listen here to find out what DG actually said.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15303
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

CLTApp11 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I was about to say the same thing. He clearly said he hired a firm. He clearly said they hired a firm to help. The guy talking to Gillin even asked the benefits of hiring one and Gillin gave 3-4 good reasons for it. This is why I don't think the Ledford talk is as legit as people think. I think he is pushing this because he rather be our HC than a coordinator at Louisville.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 am
yosefshat wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:29 pm
I just got word from a pretty reliable source that negotiations are underway with Dwayne Ledford to become our next head coach.
Stacey Searles is interviewing today, so I would say your source is pretty unreliable.
I just heard a couple other names that are interviewing so I am pretty sure the search firm is looking at others. I could understand the initial desire to look for people who worked with Scott but I think we will benefit by having someone who was either here before under Jerry Moore or at least has been at another program who preaches culture like we do. If you don't have the right culture then a team can be up and down. You get consistency with the right culture and I hope that is one thing the new coach continues preaching family.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Another one of Coach Ledford's OL players doing well here = NC State center Garrett Bradbury was named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, awarded to the top center in the country. He is also on the 2018 Walter Camp All-American list.

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 126060809/
Give Em Hell!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
Another one of Coach Ledford's OL players doing well here = NC State center Garrett Bradbury was named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy, awarded to the top center in the country. He is also on the 2018 Walter Camp All-American list.

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 126060809/
His stock is rising.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Come on if your going to post at least be a member. I think your a Russian cyber-net troll. Make boone great again.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Football scoop reporting that ledford will be following Satt to Louisville. Hope that means we had someone better lined up...

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I honestly think it is going to be Horton ...

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 pm
Football scoop reporting that ledford will be following Satt to Louisville. Hope that means we had someone better lined up...
Wow. That is surprising. I wonder if he just really wants to leave state for some reason. You would think he could get the same money at state, especially if he asked for it. Strange he would leave state for a lateral position

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Why is Auburn going outside the program for OC? Bothers me a bit with Horton right there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”