Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ledford

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ledford

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 pm
asu66 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm
Let me see if I have this straight. The athletic department announces a national search for our next head FB coach and hires a professional search firm to screen candidates, prepare profiles, do background checks and run analytics to "project" probability of success for each candidate in a head coaching assignment...and our finalists were...presto...voilà...right under our noses all the time...Ledford and Ivey. If that plays out to be factual, what a colossal waste of time and university resources. #@$%!!!!

Any of us could have prepared that list last week--pro bono.
As for our list, I could see that happening. If you do the coaching search right I don't see how we interview all these good candidates and truly give a look to every name with a good resume who wants the job by Sunday or Monday without basically looking at the staff internally.
Speaking of time...I read on FootballScoop that our folks found time to interview Mark Speir--who's on track to get fired at WCU based on a win percentage of about .360 after seven years on the job. If this interview really happened it was obviously done as a courtesy based on Speir's previous employment at ASU. No search firm would send this application forward as a serious candidate. It just wouldn't happen. No slap at Coach Speir intended. From everything I've heard about him, he's a fine fellow. He's just not cut from head coaching "fabric" for ASU.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 am

asu66 wrote:
Let me see if I have this straight. The athletic department announces a national search for our next head FB coach and hires a professional search firm to screen candidates, prepare profiles, do background checks and run analytics to "project" probability of success for each candidate in a head coaching assignment...and our finalists were...presto...voilà...right under our noses all the time...Ledford and Ivey. If that plays out to be factual, what a colossal waste of time and university resources. #@$%!!!!

But the real question is..... What was Scott doing from 96-98? Was he actually a PE teacher at Mitchell HS? Did he actually sell insurance?

Since we have no need for this firm and we have already paid them, can we have them research these 2 missing years of Satterfields life?

OK. I've gotten a little coocoo, too much time on this board stressing out. Goodnight Mountaineer family, until tomorrow.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am

asu66 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

As for our list, I could see that happening. If you do the coaching search right I don't see how we interview all these good candidates and truly give a look to every name with a good resume who wants the job by Sunday or Monday without basically looking at the staff internally.
Speaking of time...I read on FootballScoop that our folks found time to interview Mark Speir--who's on track to get fired at WCU based on a win percentage of about .360 after seven years on the job. If this interview really happened it was obviously done as a courtesy based on Speir's previous employment at ASU. No search firm would send this application forward as a serious candidate. It just wouldn't happen. No slap at Coach Speir intended. From everything I've heard about him, he's a fine fellow. He's just not cut from head coaching "fabric" for ASU.
He wasn't interviewed. He even denied being interviewed.
#FakeNews. Those pesky journalists.....
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:44 am

I don't buy that he was interviewed either. If he was coming off a 9-3 season where he won a playoff game, then maybe. The problem is they took a step back this year. I think next year is do or die for his job most likely.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am

OK...so back to the discussion of Ledford. If Ledford gets hired, I'm wondering if DG might be "encouraging" him to retain Ivey as the DC with a nice raise. They would give us continuity on both sides of the ball and it would perhaps allow Ivey to continue expanding his college resume and perhaps a future candidate if/when we are searching again

I'm kind of like others though. I would be surprised if all the candidates are home grown.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:38 am

I thought we didn’t hire a search firm but had a committee instead. Seems like I remember DG saying no firm.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 am

A search firm would be a waste of resources in my opinion since the football world is in the spotlight in a big way. It's not like some obscure under the radar is going to be found to lead our team. Merit based and closely networked and in the sports news everyday-who's who.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 am

The search firm works behindthe scenes to see wo has interest and would their asking price for the position. This helps narrow down the search to those wit interest and that we can afford. There would be no reason to waste time on interviewing, vetting, and offering someone that has demands that we can’t meet.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 am

Gillin said in the interview he didn’t get a search firm. He assembled a committee check backgrounds and references but he has 100% say in the process

CLTApp11

Unread post by CLTApp11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am

The Rock wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 am
Gillin said in the interview he didn’t get a search firm. He assembled a committee check backgrounds and references but he has 100% say in the process
Not sure what interview you're listening to but he clearly says they've engaged Parker out of Atlanta to aid in the search (5:10 mark of the interview w/ App State Mania) and that they have NOT set up a committee but have an internal group that will be reviewing candidates and ultimately making the decision.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am

It the coach's agent that is making the jack to have his ear to the ground and eyes fixed on openings....."Show Me The Money!"
BLACK SATURDAY

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 am

He did use a search firm. Begins with P..... don't remember the name heard his interview yesterday on 247 site. He used it to narrow candidates down to a list that met certain criteria. Also for coaches who were öutside" that list. Using a search firm speeds up the process considerably.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 am

The Rock wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 am
This is backwards. There is no committee. He did hire a search firm. He has had plans lined up for this very instance since after the 2015 season. In the 24/7 interview he explained the search firm is not just to identify candidates, but to assist with background checks, contracts, buyouts, etc. The way he explained it, I understood it to be the search firm is our “Agent”.... our contracts/negotiating expert.

After listening to his explanation it makes all the sense in the world why we would want someone that deals in this situation all the time. Especially given the sharks coaches hire.

In that same interview he also addressed some cons of having a search by committee.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 am

I may be crazy but I'm pretty sure I heard DG say, and I've read, that a search firm was being used and that there wasn't an official "committee" but a small group involved... I would think he'd want to see who's out there and in our target price range and meets our core values and philosophies. DG's future is hinging on this hire. If my career was on the line and had the resources to use a firm I'd definitely use that, not as a decision maker but to provide as much information as possible on the available candidate pool. Also, as mentioned earlier, the firms help narrow down the list so that you don't waste time on a candidate that's just not going to be a fit for any number of reasons. DG knows he needs to be thorough but move relatively fast on this huge decision.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:17 am

Why do you feel that his career hinges on this hire? I don’t think that he has to be swift on this hire. I realize that signing day is coming up, but it shouldn’t be a driving factor to hire hastily. We won’t lose everyone and the class is small, so is next year’s. The vast majority of our starters next year are currently Sophomores and Freshmen, we have no ”Freshmores”. So if there is a savings grace, the class was small to begin with.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 am

yosefshat wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:29 pm
I just got word from a pretty reliable source that negotiations are underway with Dwayne Ledford to become our next head coach.
Having watched a few interviews. He seems as genuine as can be. That said he better win early and often, he doesn't have that charisma you want in a leader of young men. If he is losing and keeps the same monotone approach it will be taken as if he doesn't care enough, or isn't passionate enough. Not a fan of this move, for his own sake.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 am

Some folks are setting the next coach up for failure.

Let’s tap the brakes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 am

yosefshat wrote:
I just got word from a pretty reliable source that negotiations are underway with Dwayne Ledford to become our next head coach.
Stacey Searles is interviewing today, so I would say your source is pretty unreliable.

Appfamily1980
School: East Carolina

Unread post by Appfamily1980 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:16 am

asu66 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
asu66 wrote:

On Speir, He has denied being interviewed and seems happy and content at Cullowhee, I do not think he really has any aspirations to be a head football coach at the FBS, but he is not on track to be fired. Same AD that hired him is still there, Bad season this year sure but due to underclassmen but the year before was one win away from going to the playoffs and has had 3 winning seasons in the past 5 years and for WCU thats equivalent to a miracle. So his job is pretty safe.

Footballscoop just posts rumors of what is being mentioned in the college football world, sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong but dont take everything they report as the truth..Just last week they published a report that Mike Houston had accepted and WAS going to be named the head coach at UNCC. But he was only verbally offered by UNCC but nothing was agreed on contractually and Houston was just using them (lol) to hurry ECU up.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 am

yosefshat wrote:
At this point I think it's more likely that he will be in Louisville with Satt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”