Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ledford

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ledford

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 pm

GoBoone wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 pm
I’d say it’s Ivey or Ledford. Both are good picks.
Ivey is truly intriguing. If he rallies these kids this week and gets the Bowl win..... he will be the “Parent” that stuck around and probably could draw some special things out of this young group for a few years until the next classes come in... very interesting....
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 pm
Horton ain’t happening
My guess is that Gillin has Ivey, Ledford, and Bryan Brown as his top 3. I expect him to lean towards someone who worked for Satterfield.
I highly doubt it is brown. He is already in Louisville and already said goodbye to the team. I think if there was a possibility of him getting the HC, he would be coaching the bowl game. He is a cardinal now.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
Horton ain’t happening
My guess is that Gillin has Ivey, Ledford, and Bryan Brown as his top 3. I expect him to lean towards someone who worked for Satterfield.
Speculation? Or.....

Brown is intriguing as that “high risk-high reward” hire due to his fiery personality and the growing trend to go with “young guns”. I think he clearly took our defense up a notch, but I don’t know if this merits a promotion to HC. I don’t see Ivey or Clark hanging around if they get passed over by one of the youngest guys either. I just don’t see it with Brown.

Ivey would be a “feel good” hire and we may catch lightning in a bottle if he rallies this young team. It sure would be a great story.

This bit about Ledford “missing” on some recruits that are now big contributors to this team makes me feel at odds because I do like a lot of boxes he would check......
Speculation. My gut feeling is either Ivey or Ledford (no inside knowledge).

Ivey has a similar path as Scott except he has not been in college as long. Scott coached HS like Ivey, walk-on like Ivey, played same time period, and Ivey would keep the team together.
Huh? Scott never coached in HS. Ivey coached nothing but HS until he got here. That’s my main hang up. He’s going to have to hire a new OC, DC and likely a few other positions and has a very small network from which to pull. I honestly don’t think he’s a serious candidate.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
Horton ain’t happening
I highly doubt it is brown. He is already in Louisville and already said goodbye to the team. I think if there was a possibility of him getting the HC, he would be coaching the bowl game. He is a cardinal now.
Doubt it is him as well. Just stating that I thought those were the top 3 in the mind of Gillin. IMO, It is for sure either Ledford or Ivey unless there are more interviews over next 2 days and someone really separates themselves from one of them.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 pm

appgrad wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
Horton ain’t happening
Speculation? Or.....

Brown is intriguing as that “high risk-high reward” hire due to his fiery personality and the growing trend to go with “young guns”. I think he clearly took our defense up a notch, but I don’t know if this merits a promotion to HC. I don’t see Ivey or Clark hanging around if they get passed over by one of the youngest guys either. I just don’t see it with Brown.

Ivey would be a “feel good” hire and we may catch lightning in a bottle if he rallies this young team. It sure would be a great story.

This bit about Ledford “missing” on some recruits that are now big contributors to this team makes me feel at odds because I do like a lot of boxes he would check......

Ivey has a similar path as Scott except he has not been in college as long. Scott coached HS like Ivey, walk-on like Ivey, played same time period, and Ivey would keep the team together.
Huh? Scott never coached in HS. Ivey coached nothing but HS until he got here. That’s my main hang up. He’s going to have to hire a new OC, DC and likely a few other positions and has a very small network from which to pull. I honestly don’t think he’s a serious candidate.
Are you sure he did not? I remember hearing before Scott came to App that he was OC at a HS for 1 or 2 years.

Ivey spent a long time at the HS level for sure. The only reason I think Ivey was a candidate was that he is on staff. It would not shock me if he goes to Louisville either.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 pm

I’m starting to think Ivey stays on staff here and the next guy leaves him there. I am going to check flight aware well because it’s interesting.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:51 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 pm
appgrad wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Speculation? Or.....

Are you sure he did not? I remember hearing before Scott came to App that he was OC at a HS for 1 or 2 years.

Ivey spent a long time at the HS level for sure. The only reason I think Ivey was a candidate was that he is on staff. It would not shock me if he goes to Louisville either.
I think Satt taught Phys Ed at High School level before starting his coaching career..... he didn’t coach.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:51 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 pm
appgrad wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Speculation? Or.....

I think Satt taught Phys Ed at High School level before starting his coaching career..... he didn’t coach.
I need to find out for sure because I swore he coached QBs and was OC for a year. Interesting story that a PE teacher who played small college football ends up being a HC at a P5 program. Could almost be a movie. lol

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Denzel Washington stars as “Scott Satterfield”- walk on QB at a small school in the mountains who turns the college football landscape upside down after he leaves his almamater and takes over a dumpster fire Louisville program and takes down Alabama and Clemson in just 2 short years. Also in his wake, his alma mater promotes one of his protégés who leads App State to the first G5 appearance in the CFP.

Coming to a theatre near you in 2025.....
The Appalachian State

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Hmmmmmmm??!?

Thor58

Unread post by Thor58 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm

I live in Mitchell County and I seemed to remember that Scott was an Assistant Coach here for at least one year. Mitchell High is where his wife Beth went to school and as is the case with most high schools, a PE teacher is going to help coach. I found this link which indicated that he did in fact start his coaching career here.

https://undertheheadset.com/2018/05/16/ ... op-part-2/

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm
Denzel Washington stars as “Scott Satterfield”- walk on QB at a small school in the mountains who turns the college football landscape upside down after he leaves his almamater and takes over a dumpster fire Louisville program and takes down Alabama and Clemson in just 2 short years. Also in his wake, his alma mater promotes one of his protégés who leads App State to the first G5 appearance in the CFP.

Not sure how Denzel fits in there but I'd go see it
The mountains are calling and I must go

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 pm

CheckYosef94 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Not sure how Denzel fits in there but I'd go see it
Come on, has to be Denzel....right? Clint Eastwood stars as Jerry Moore? Tom Cruise as Darrynton Evans (dramatic run scenes)? Kevin Hart as Clifton Duck....
The Appalachian State

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Not that interesting. It’s a path a lot of coaches take. Gus Malzahn was a HS football coach in 2006, by 2013 he’d OC’d a National Champ and was the HC in another Title Game.

Back to Scott - Only years unaccounted for on his bio are ‘96-‘97. Usually, if they were coaching, even at high school… It is listed. Do find it kind of odd that he wouldn’t be coaching though.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:33 pm

appgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 pm
Not that interesting. It’s a path a lot of coaches take. Gus Malzahn was a HS football coach in 2006, by 2013 he’d OC’d a National Champ and was the HC in another Title Game.

Back to Scott - Only years unaccounted for on his bio are ‘96-‘97. Usually, if they were coaching, even at high school… It is listed. Do find it kind of odd that he wouldn’t be coaching though.
I’m telling you, he was a PE teacher at Mitchell HS and sold insurance.
The Appalachian State

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 pm

So this thread is now about whether Scott coached high school football or not..

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Let me see if I have this straight. The athletic department announces a national search for our next head FB coach and hires a professional search firm to screen candidates, prepare profiles, do background checks and run analytics to "project" probability of success for each candidate in a head coaching assignment...and our finalists were...presto...voilà...right under our noses all the time...Ledford and Ivey. If that plays out to be factual, what a colossal waste of time and university resources. #@$%!!!!

Any of us could have prepared that list last week--pro bono.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Thor58 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 pm
I live in Mitchell County and I seemed to remember that Scott was an Assistant Coach here for at least one year. Mitchell High is where his wife Beth went to school and as is the case with most high schools, a PE teacher is going to help coach. I found this link which indicated that he did in fact start his coaching career here.

https://undertheheadset.com/2018/05/16/ ... op-part-2/
Yes, Mitchell High is the one I was thinking of. I am pretty sure he was offered a job by Jerry Moore after 1 or 2 years coaching there.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm
Let me see if I have this straight. The athletic department announces a national search for our next head FB coach and hires a professional search firm to screen candidates, prepare profiles, do background checks and run analytics to "project" probability of success for each candidate in a head coaching assignment...and our finalists were...presto...voilà...right under our noses all the time...Ledford and Ivey. If that plays out to be factual, what a colossal waste of time and university resources. #@$%!!!!

Any of us could have prepared that list last week--pro bono.
Happens all the time. There are firms who help with GMs hires in the NFL and I'm sure with 30-40 minutes of research we could come up with a good list of candidates for free here on the MMB.

As for our list, I could see that happening. If you do the coaching search right I don't see how we interview all these good candidates and truly give a look to every name with a good resume who wants the job by Sunday or Monday without basically looking at the staff internally.

And could someone tell me how in the heck a search firm does analytics to project probability on the candidates? There are always exceptions to a rule and it would take a lot of time to truly project that accurately, I would think. Do they find out their schemes and types of players they want and then run the analytics on how teams built that way have done against the teams in the SBC? These firms just seem like a huge waste of money to me. They could have used that money to pay coaches more to stay.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Going to have to assume most of you have no real idea what is actually happening with this search. Ivey and Ledford being the only 2 "finalists" would be ridiculous.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”