Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Two Gillin Gripes

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Two Gillin Gripes

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 am

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am
Buyout needs to be a lot higher going forward . . . the programs taking our guys can easily afford it.
But, as someone above mentioned, buyouts go both ways. If our next coach has a $5 mil. buyout, sure a bigger school might not want to pay that in order to hire them away. But on the flip side of that coin, if the coach ends up being a mistake and they want to get rid of him, the athletic department has to shell out $5 million.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am
I'm as eager as anyone to know who our next head coach is going to be, but I think we all need to think about how important of a process this is. And it sounds like Ledford was Doug's guy until Ledford opted for a job at Louisville instead. I still really, really can't imagine Ledford would rather be an assistant at Louisville than the head guy here. Either way though, I'm sure Doug is pouring his all into this hire right now. This is a process you can't rush.

At the same time, if we make an offer to Gattis today to try to beat Temple to the punch I'd have zero complaints.
I too find it strange that someone like Ledford would opt for another assistant job rather than HC. Either he really wants to work with Satt again or he just doesn't want to be a at a G5..

Im sure the snow has slowed things down a bit. Something like 2000 flights were canceled this weekend so that Im sure has slowed this process a bit.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am

They can afford - “will pay” is different. If someone is choosing between a guy like Satt, with a $450k buyout and a guy like Neal Brown, with a $2.5 million buyout, who do you think they pick?

This is a Sexton Hallmark for his G5 guys, apparently. Mike Norvell at Memphis, a very hot name, only has a $500k buyout. He’s a Sexton client as well.

People may not want to hear it - but coaches know which G5 schools make it hard to leave. We don’t want to be in that category. It’s a difficult balancing act to be sure.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:47 am

Meyer got stuck on 321

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am

Apptrain wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:47 am
Meyer got stuck on 321
I heard it was a real headache getting to Boone for him...
The Appalachian State

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:57 am

As for Ledford choosing asst. role, some do not want all the headaches of being the head coach.
Bring Your A Game!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 pm

You can't look at one term of a contract and decide that's a mistake unless you were part of the negotiating process. Here's just one hypothetical example. Let's hypothetically say that DG wanted to keep Satt around as long as possible and wanted to up his pay even more to at least keep the richer G5s at bay; however, Satt had a goal of earning mega millions at a P5 so he agreed to receive less base pay per year to keep the buyout lower. So, DG agreed to the lower pay concept (money stays in treasury for sure) and gave up a higher payout with the possibility (not certain) of Satt leaving (potential money in treasury)...also if things go south with Satt still as the HC then DG has to come up with the big buyout to get rid of him.
We have the benefit of hind-sight, when the contract was put into place we didn't know how successful the team would be.
My point is the contract is negotiated between both parties, DG couldn't just lay down what he wanted and force Satt to accept it without ramifications. It's a balancing act. Also, new coaches being hired, especially for their first shot at HC are probably more willing to accept a large buyout provision because they want the job, all the power is with the AD in that situation. I believe when this contract was put into place Satt was already being considered for P5 positions as they came open, so the power was more on Satt's side. Whoever holds the power in a negotiation typically gets the better deal unless you're willing to walk from the table. This was just a hypothetical discussion to provide an example of how contracts are negotiated. So, based on what's available to the public, we can't make the determination if the buyout was a mistake or a great addition to Satt's contract. Was there even a buyout in his original contract back in 2012?

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am
They can afford - “will pay” is different. If someone is choosing between a guy like Satt, with a $450k buyout and a guy like Neal Brown, with a $2.5 million buyout, who do you think they pick?

This is a Sexton Hallmark for his G5 guys, apparently. Mike Norvell at Memphis, a very hot name, only has a $500k buyout. He’s a Sexton client as well.

People may not want to hear it - but coaches know which G5 schools make it hard to leave. We don’t want to be in that category. It’s a difficult balancing act to be sure.
I respectively disagree, If a P5 wants someone, the buyout is never going to be the issue. If Louisville wanted Neil Brown over Sat, you think 2 mil would have made them go with their second choice, not a chance.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Maybe the delay is to give Nick Saban the respect he deserves to coach Bama in the CFP before he comes to App.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

This is sad.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm
appgrad wrote:

I respectively disagree, If a P5 wants someone, the buyout is never going to be the issue. If Louisville wanted Neil Brown over Sat, you think 2 mil would have made them go with their second choice, not a chance.
Again… Buyouts go both ways. Louisville had to pay over $14 million to get rid of Petrino. They were not going to pay another 2.5 million to hire a coach.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad wrote:

Again… Buyouts go both ways. Louisville had to pay over $14 million to get rid of Petrino. They were not going to pay another 2.5 million to hire a coach.
Sorry, but yes they were. Brohm had a $4M buyout. If he said yes, they were going to fork the money over. Now if Satt had a $4M buyout, given the reservations about his experience, that might make them pause. But if they are deciding between their #1 candidate at $2M buyout and the #2 candidate at $0 buyout, they are paying the $2M

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 am
DG is well aware of the looming NLI day but he also has to get this hire "right," also we don't know what he's had to deal with. He may have extended offers and negotiations fell apart for whatever reasons. We all know that he doesn't have unlimited funds and can't control what other schools are doing, such as with the Temple opening.
As for the buyout, all terms within a contract are negotiated so, unless you're part of that negotiation you don't know what the situation was. It's typically a give and take and a buyout provision is like a poison pill for a coach so the coach is going to push back and make other demands if it's too large. Without having been part of the negotiation process we have no way of knowing what the situation was.
I was going to basically say the same thing. He had a list but it grew with outside interest and we need to be patient. I said last week that it may be Wednesday or Thursday because they needed the time with so much interest and he wants to get this right. People jumped on me and said that today or yesterday was not too short but in reality it is. We are at an important point and can't rush this. I say take all week if he needs to.

I predict we hear something by Friday but no sooner than tomorrow afternoon. No inside knowledge here. Just my guess based on the interest we have gotten and even though we aren't paying millions this is seriously the most attractive G5 job (based on roster talent and youth) of any because we were so young and did so well this year. If I'm a really good coach looking for a big pay day but not getting P5 interest we are the program to go to because they should win double digit games in 2019 and 2020, which is hard to do.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm
appgrad wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad wrote:

Sorry, but yes they were. Brohm had a $4M buyout. If he said yes, they were going to fork the money over. Now if Satt had a $4M buyout, given the reservations about his experience, that might make them pause. But if they are deciding between their #1 candidate at $2M buyout and the #2 candidate at $0 buyout, they are paying the $2M
You know Brohm isn’t the same. Yes, they were going to pay $4 million to lure a favorite son away from another P5. Literally the only case for they would do that. They would not have done that for Scott Satterfield, nor anyone else in a G5 program.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm

It would be nice if DG could give us some sort of update, without names if need be, but some sort of reassurance the search is progressing well, if indeed it is. Something, anything would be nice.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm
appgrad wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad wrote:

You know Brohm isn’t the same. Yes, they were going to pay $4 million to lure a favorite son away from another P5. Literally the only case for they would do that. They would not have done that for Scott Satterfield, nor anyone else in a G5 program.
Sure, agreed that it is apples and oranges in that scenario. But the original point is that if Satterfields buyout was $2M, they wouldn't hesitate to pay that, which I stand behind.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm
It would be nice if DG could give us some sort of update, without names if need be, but some sort of reassurance the search is progressing well, if indeed it is. Something, anything would be nice.
I have an update: money is the problem.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm

appgrad wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad wrote:

2.5mm is peanuts to L-ville. Might as well be $2.50. Some schools might have an issue with that but not Papa John's Univ.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Apptrain wrote:
What do you want to hear? You gave his response in your comment. He isn’t going to tell you anything adverse.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:42 pm
Apptrain wrote:
What do you want to hear? You gave his response in your comment. He isn’t going to tell you anything adverse.
Everyone needs to be patient. It is progressing fine and we will have a coach by the end of the week from what I'm hearing. I really think the hold up is defining money for staff, picking from a list of qualified people who interviewed, and the fact he has stated he wants to be done by the bowl game and has a couple more days before he would have to say something. No inside info here but I'm sure tomorrow or Wednesday we will hear something.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”