Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 am
Young
Coordinator experience
ACC -in state
Success at Auburn, Ark State, Boise State, NC State
Associated with High-scoring offenses
QB Coach
DG Likes him

Let the Drinkwitz era begin!
And would seemingly already have relationships with NC HS coaches established. I’m having trouble finding anything i dislike about this hire.
...His play calling in close game situations is questionable...

When you look at that list he really is a good hire. That said, I watched the NCSU/WFU game, the NCSU/UNC game and you can see that his play calling was not great. Especially late in the game in short yardage situations that ultimately cost the Wolfpack to lose to Wake Forest. Lets hope he has learned his lesson.
Satts play calling was questionable as well at times.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm
We NEED to keep Ivey. He bleeds ASU and I really really don't wanna lose him. To me he is more important than Satterfield.
Three things to note-
1. Why tell the team its not Ivey and above BEFORE the Bowl game without a possible commitment from Drink to keep Ivey.
2. Why try and change our defensive scheme when we are top 10 nationally and have great current and recruit talent coming in that fits 3-4.
3. The kids really love Ivey. As a new coach trying to win over a team, why not keep and elevate a guy to Asst HC to keep continuity and morale

These lead me to believe Ivey stays
The Appalachian State

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:08 pm

All I can say is wow!

First ~ Hats off to DG for a legit coaching search. This was not a see who is available in the playground of Appalachian alumni. I also really appreciate while there was so much speculation, nothing was ever leaked. And finally, I think he got his ideal candidate.

Drink seems to fit perfectly, as others have said...young up and comer, known for having a genius offensive mind, knows North Carolina, but also know what a program like our aspires to be in Boise State.

For my money and my very high expectations, this hire exceeded what I thought we could do and makes me even more proud to be an App fan.

Now....I can’t wait to see who our other coaches are!

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm
yosef69 wrote:
We NEED to keep Ivey. He bleeds ASU and I really really don't wanna lose him. To me he is more important than Satterfield.
Three things to note-
1. Why tell the team its not Ivey and above BEFORE the Bowl game without a possible commitment from Drink to keep Ivey.
2. Why try and change our defensive scheme when we are top 10 nationally and have great current and recruit talent coming in that fits 3-4.
3. The kids really love Ivey. As a new coach trying to win over a team, why not keep and elevate a guy to Asst HC to keep continuity and morale

Drinkwitz is in NO and is going to meet with the staff this afternoon. Everything is up in the air right now to say the least.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:15 pm

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ben-F ... Interests/

I'm just saying, maybe Drink makes a call!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm

unknown wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Three things to note-

Drinkwitz is in NO and is going to meet with the staff this afternoon. Everything is up in the air right now to say the least.
Yep. Heard he has a meeting with team and staff.... Waiting to hear from some folks on how it goes...
The Appalachian State

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:26 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 am
This is freaky.

I almost spit out my Diet Coke this morning when I saw this on the App web site. Talk about wanting to keep things going!!! And what did they do on this? Photoshop the visor and Satt’s shirt right off his back? 😂.

There are a few things I can think of right away where this guy can help us put Satterfield behind us: have a clue about clock management, go under center when we have a foot we need to gain and sling the ball around to our stable of receivers a bit more. Also keep the foot on the gas and don’t be in such a hurry to go conservative.

This is why they pay DG the big bucks. It looks like a great hire!

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:37 am
For those that thought Ledford was the first choice, we just hired his boss.
This!!! :D :o :D
Didn't see this coming and don't know this guy. Based on what I've read and heard the last couple of hours, he is a great hire for us. Hats off to DG for a top notch effort and what appears to be a home run hire. State folks are crying and hoping they can talk Ledford into coming back.

Welcome to the family Coach Drink!

YOSEF WILLIS

Unread post by YOSEF WILLIS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 pm

"WELOME TO THE ROCK COACH"...…. let the games begin.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:06 pm

YOSEF WILLIS wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 pm
"WELOME TO THE ROCK COACH"...…. let the games begin.
Whatchu talking bout Willis...

Wow, just saw my post tally for the month......what’s the record Biggie? I need to schedule an eye appointment, my carpel tunnel is flaring up and I’m on no sleep here..... driving to New Orleans tonight!
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:26 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
This is freaky.

I almost spit out my Diet Coke this morning when I saw this on the App web site. Talk about wanting to keep things going!!! And what did they do on this? Photoshop the visor and Satt’s shirt right off his back? 😂.

There are a few things I can think of right away where this guy can help us put Satterfield behind us: have a clue about clock management, go under center when we have a foot we need to gain and sling the ball around to our stable of receivers a bit more. Also keep the foot on the gas and don’t be in such a hurry to go conservative.

This is why they pay DG the big bucks. It looks like a great hire!
Gillin is playing 4D Chess.

Louisville thinks they hired Satterfield but Drinkwitz showed up there instead. Satterfield still at App, pretending to be Drinkwitz. Like Nelly and Steve Smith.
YNWA

chiefsfan
School: Arkansas State

Unread post by chiefsfan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm

The Arkansas State perspective:

Was hired by Malzahn in 2012 as Tight Ends coach. I believe he played High school ball in Arkansas. Took a GA role at Auburn. Followed Gus here. Started as Tight ends coach. When Gus left for Auburn, he left Drink high and dry here. Essentially Harsin kept him on staff here for 2013 because he felt bad for him. Was moved to RB coach. Our 2013 team started 2-4 and was trailing a new to FBS South Alabama team at halftime in Mobile. Harsin fired himself as offensive coordinator in the locker room, handed the play calling duties to Drinkwitz out of the cold. We literally switched to a more Malzahn based approach at halftime, and came back and won. We finished 6-1 after that. Highlight was when our top 2 QB's both got hurt against WKU last game of the season, and Drinkwitz had to hand the ball to a 3rd string QB (Who turned out to be Fredi Knighten, who QB'd our 2014 and 2015 versions you saw). It was well known at that point that Freki couldn't pass. Yet, we managed to come back and lead WKU only to lose on a last second TD, and than beat a 10 win Ball State team in the bowl. Knighten took us on a game winning TD Drive in the last 2 minutes of that game, throwing what were essentially his first collegiate passes.

Drink has always been shortlisted in our hypothetical, "Say Blake Anderson gets mercifully abducted by Aliens, and we get to hire a new coach, who would you want to hire" games on our board. He always got the 3rd most mentions behind now UMass Head coach Walt Bell and the cheater Hugh Freeze. His detractors are many. The Malzahn Staff in 2012 were pretty much known to be a lot of jerks. In an old Evangelical Christian town like Jonesboro, those antics were not appreciated. Right or Wrong, he's been labeled as that because he coached under Malzahn. Its ridiculous that people even care about, but just like we thought the obsession some of you guys had with hiring an App guy as coach was strange...we've got our own strange antics.

I honestly thought he was a year away from getting a job. He's yet to really have that one amazing year that led his team to a conference championship at Boise or NC State, and many on our end thought it would take that for someone to make a run at him. Still, should be a good hire for you guys.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Dear Sun Belt football programs:

The reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. Your Conference Champions will usher in the Drinkwitz era in September '19, and as The Who so eloquently put it, "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss."
FB_HeadCoachHire.jpg

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks for the insight chief!

I think he will be a good hire as well.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:48 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
This is freaky.

You guys are exaggerating the resemblance.

I mean, the guy on the left is wearing a white shirt.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Home run hire AD
Attachments
A0957020-DC80-49C7-B045-802C905C5557.jpeg

Futfibal
School: Charleston

Unread post by Futfibal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm

As a ASU Football Hall of Famer this hire is EMBARRASSING when you consider the multiple coaches out there with App State Connections who were more qualified than this guy. Johnn Settles, greatest RB in App State history and currently coaching at Wisconsin. Has coached on every level. Ruffin McNeil, former head coach at ECU and now Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. Those two were the most qualified and also happen to be African-American. It’s time for us to diversify our football program. Over the past 30yrs I don’t think we’ve had more than 2 full-time minority Assistant Football Coaches on our staff at any one time. Go look at all the Power 5 Conferences and look at the makeup of their Assistant Football Coaches. But the real problem is that we now have an AD in Doug Gillin who doesn’t respect the winning culture that has been built over the last 30yrs at App State. Yes, we are still winning, but those of us who Built the Rock are loosing faith and pulling our support for an AD who clearly doesn’t understand the history of App State Football... Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm
As a ASU Football Hall of Famer this hire is EMBARRASSING when you consider the multiple coaches out there with App State Connections who were more qualified than this guy. Johnn Settles, greatest RB in App State history and currently coaching at Wisconsin. Has coached on every level. Ruffin McNeil, former head coach at ECU and now Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. Those two were the most qualified and also happen to be African-American. It’s time for us to diversify our football program. Over the past 30yrs I don’t think we’ve had more than 2 full-time minority Assistant Football Coaches on our staff at any one time. Go look at all the Power 5 Conferences and look at the makeup of their Assistant Football Coaches. But the real problem is that we now have an AD in Doug Gillin who doesn’t respect the winning culture that has been built over the last 30yrs at App State. Yes, we are still winning, but those of us who Built the Rock are loosing faith and pulling our support for an AD who clearly doesn’t understand the history of App State Football... Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham
*losing.

I hate that.

Get a grip.

Futfibal
School: Charleston

Unread post by Futfibal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm

NC States staff has been fighting off getting fired for the past 3yrs. I’m trying to figure out what games you guys have been watching. There’s nothing about the NC State Football program that would beg for us to skip over multiple coaches with strong App State Connections for this guy. I smell trouble brewing for our program. Our AD is an outsider who doesn’t understand the culture of Boone and our football program m. Remember that this App State Hall of Famer warned you. Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm
This is sad!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”