Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:42 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:32 am
who wins a head to head battle of delusion:
UNCC vs. GSU?
Yes?
Give Em Hell!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:55 am

49er's fans eat KFC and drink unsweet tea at barbecues.

StinklikeRoses
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by StinklikeRoses » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 pm

app97 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am
this is entertaining....GS fans mostly think we made an underwhelming hire. My favorite line is "Very underwhelming hire. Not Summers-level underwhelming, but close."

A southern education apparently means that your research/analysis skills involve looking on the surface of what a coach did with one team in the last year. One GS fan says that Drinkwitz is an "offensive guru who is 70% pass and 30% run". They can't dig deep enough to understand that he has historically designed offense that best fits his personnel (one year at Boise having a mobile QB, another year involving a pocket QB).

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread. ... -Drinkwitz
I think you guys made a decent move. Coaching searches are minefields, and there really aren't any red flags to cause alarm with Drinkwitz.

FWIW, that thread actually comes down about 20% being complimentary of the hire, 60% being curious as to how Drink will implement what he wants to do with your roster, and 20% being negative. (That's ignoring all the posts that are just hoping he will turn out to be your Tyson Summers, of course). The quoted post above is an extreme outlier.

Here's a question: A name that I thought might come up but never did was . . . . Butch Jones. He's had good success in a lot of places, although only modest success at UT. He was available and affordable . . . thought he might at least get a mention once y'all started talking about Ruffin McNeill.

StinklikeRoses
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by StinklikeRoses » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am
Apparently our culture is bad as well........
That's actually not a reference to y'all, but an inside GS joke/historical lament . . . . as it was a need stated post-hire by both of the two worst coaches in our history. They both changed our culture -- from winning to losing.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm

app97 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am
this is entertaining....GS fans mostly think we made an underwhelming hire. My favorite line is "Very underwhelming hire. Not Summers-level underwhelming, but close."

A southern education apparently means that your research/analysis skills involve looking on the surface of what a coach did with one team in the last year. One GS fan says that Drinkwitz is an "offensive guru who is 70% pass and 30% run". They can't dig deep enough to understand that he has historically designed offense that best fits his personnel (one year at Boise having a mobile QB, another year involving a pocket QB).

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread. ... -Drinkwitz
What do you expect from a bunch of knuckle-dragging, small baseball cap wearing, mouth breathing window lickers from The Stink?
BLACK SATURDAY

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:24 pm

I await his next move. If he retains several veteran coaches that'll show me he's smart enough to stick to his side of the ball. Our defense is damn good - there's no reason to upset that apple cart. With Ponce and Brown gone he has some room to be creative with his hires without taking on an overwhelming amount of responsibility.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am
For the record, I made Dean's List a few times back in the late 90's. I was also an excellent Foosball player. I also did pretty well on trivia nights at Geno's.
Oh man, I had forgotten about Genos!

Since Genos and Murphys are both gone, where is the best place to get wings in town now? I live there and haven't found anywhere better than "The Rock" now and that's not my preference at all.
Yep. It was Geno's, then Murpheys, then Town Tavern, now The Rock. You can find me at the Rock after every game consuming beer, wings, and football. My healthy eating goes out the window this time of year.

Man, some good times at Geno's. I also loved the Mango Habeneros at Town Tavern after the games before they switched owners...
The Appalachian State

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm

I hope I eat my words....but..... this is who we hire? Apparently the desire to be here wasn't as great as we were told if this is what we got.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm
StorminASU wrote:
For the record, I made Dean's List a few times back in the late 90's. I was also an excellent Foosball player. I also did pretty well on trivia nights at Geno's.

Since Genos and Murphys are both gone, where is the best place to get wings in town now? I live there and haven't found anywhere better than "The Rock" now and that's not my preference at all.
Yep. It was Geno's, then Murpheys, then Town Tavern, now The Rock. You can find me at the Rock after every game consuming beer, wings, and football. My healthy eating goes out the window this time of year.

Man, some good times at Geno's. I also loved the Mango Habeneros at Town Tavern after the games before they switched owners...
Town Tavern was my jam when I was a student. Once I asked the original owner how they made their wings so good. He said to bake them until they are almost done, then throw them in the deep fryer just long enough to get nice and crispy. That's how you get a nice cripsness on the outside while staying good and juicy on the inside. Now, that's how I always make wings at home.

One time I slipped on ice outside Town Tavern and skinned my knee, and those sriracha wings were really hot, plus it would get pretty hot if there were a bunch of people in there on a Saturday night. So, I guess you could say I left my blood, sweat, and tears at the Town Tavern. Do you think they'll give me a plaque?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm
I hope I eat my words....but..... this is who we hire? Apparently the desire to be here wasn't as great as we were told if this is what we got.
I believe about 90% of us are really happy with the hire and it exceeded expectations. For less that $1MM, who were you hoping for and why would that have been a better hire?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:51 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:32 am
who wins a head to head battle of delusion:
UNCC vs. GSU?
Gotta be Harrisburg. They take a 45-9 beating and the next week say, “Yeah, but I wish we could play them NOW!”
While they were telling us how little they cared about us, they were adding temporary bleachers to their stadium.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm
StorminASU wrote:

Town Tavern was my jam when I was a student. Once I asked the original owner how they made their wings so good. He said to bake them until they are almost done, then throw them in the deep fryer just long enough to get nice and crispy. That's how you get a nice cripsness on the outside while staying good and juicy on the inside. Now, that's how I always make wings at home.

One time I slipped on ice outside Town Tavern and skinned my knee, and those sriracha wings were really hot, plus it would get pretty hot if there were a bunch of people in there on a Saturday night. So, I guess you could say I left my blood, sweat, and tears at the Town Tavern. Do you think they'll give me a plaque?
Literally sitting in Buffalo Wild Wing as I write this. I miss Klondike’s wings. They grilled them so they had that nice char. Mmm

Vivid memories of skipping some class on a unseasonably warm afternoon in March there. Maybe even hear the crack of a bat from a baseball game.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
I believe about 90% of us are really happy with the hire and it exceeded expectations. For less that $1MM, who were you hoping for and why would that have been a better hire?
The 90% of you that are "really happy" had no clue about this guy even being in the mix. The only reason people are saying they are glad is to save face. I bet if most were honest they have severe reservations about this hire. There were many names that people had out there that they wanted to see. Maybe one person mentioned this guy. I personally wanted Horton. It is what it is but I believe if there was as much interest as DG said we would not have went with Drinkawhoisthisguy?

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Right. We were not discussing this guy. That does not mean DG settled. We have no idea if he was top 3 or top 6. We have no idea who was even considered because DG did his job, so message board yaping did not screw it up.

Out of all the guys that were discussed, Drink is the only coordinator. I believe everyone one else was a postitions coach that was discussed here. I think that's why people are happy. Not saving face like you suggested.

Just because a message board did not discuss Drink, does not diminish the hire. Honestly, the fact that it wasn't discussed here probably adds validity. I trust DG's decision making over any of ours.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:16 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
The 90% of you that are "really happy" had no clue about this guy even being in the mix. The only reason people are saying they are glad is to save face. I bet if most were honest they have severe reservations about this hire. There were many names that people had out there that they wanted to see. Maybe one person mentioned this guy. I personally wanted Horton. It is what it is but I believe if there was as much interest as DG said we would not have went with Drinkawhoisthisguy?
Meh,

We landed an in-state P5 Offensive Coordinator, with a solid ability to play call against ACC defenses, who has ties in the conference (Arkansas State), the SEC (Auburn) and Boise State (who many want to emulate).

The only reason anyone knew about Horton (was he a legitimate contender for the job) was becuase his Buddy promoted him on this site.

If Ivey (and hopefully DJ Smith) stay on staff, we have consistency on the defensive side, while gaining an offensive mind who should be able to put our skill players (ZT + we're loaded at WR, TE and RB) in position to make plays and put up points in a specatacular fashion.

How well will we maintain the culture (we need a good S&C Hire) and will we continue to recruit the right player up the Mountain? That remains to be seen, but I think we're on the right track.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:26 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
My top candidate was Ledford and Drink was his boss. I don't think anyone thought he was a viable option. While OC at Boise State, they averaged averaged 39.1 points per game and 501.3 yards per game. He was hired away by NC State, took over from Matt Canada's 68th ranked offense and was ranked 16th in the nation this year. He runs a similar offense to what we already run, though, with more passing. Ledford was the O-line coach and run game coordinator under him and is the same running game we run. He's coached in NC for 3 years and has established recruiting connections here. He has 5 years experience as an offensive coordinator, not just a positions coach, and has been extremely successful. And we get him for under $1MM. I think as most people have said, they want to see what he does with the defense and I agree. If he leaves it alone and either keeps Ivey, or brings Woody back, I don't see how we could have gotten any better.

And Horton? He was a positions coach at App when Satterfield stepped on the field as a freshman in the early 90's. You know what he's doing now? He's a positions coach. Why do you think he has never been promoted to an OC in nearly 30 years? Surely one of his bosses thought him capable? Drink has been coaching for around 10 years and has been an OC for half that time.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:38 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 am
HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am
Apparently our culture is bad as well........
Our culture is bad because our fans don't spray PBR on our team as they ride to the stadium, and our coach don't bust into frat parties and drop an elbow on a metal folding chair; or at least I hope he won't...
I still can’t believe that GaSo wanted that footage shown on National TV. It validates every stereotype we have of that hellhole.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Why Caribbean Cafe keep getting left out of nostalgia wing discussion. Was and is the best Boone's had.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm
Why Caribbean Cafe keep getting left out of nostalgia wing discussion. Was and is the best Boone's had.
The Scorching Squared wings ruined me for life on spicy food. My stomach hasn't been the same since.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:06 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm
TRUTH!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”