Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

asu7
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Deloree’s

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm
StorminASU wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am
For the record, I made Dean's List a few times back in the late 90's. I was also an excellent Foosball player. I also did pretty well on trivia nights at Geno's.
Oh man, I had forgotten about Genos!

Since Genos and Murphys are both gone, where is the best place to get wings in town now? I live there and haven't found anywhere better than "The Rock" now and that's not my preference at all.
Yep. It was Geno's, then Murpheys, then Town Tavern, now The Rock. You can find me at the Rock after every game consuming beer, wings, and football. My healthy eating goes out the window this time of year.

Man, some good times at Geno's. I also loved the Mango Habeneros at Town Tavern after the games before they switched owners...
Town Tavern was my jam when I was a student. Once I asked the original owner how they made their wings so good. He said to bake them until they are almost done, then throw them in the deep fryer just long enough to get nice and crispy. That's how you get a nice cripsness on the outside while staying good and juicy on the inside. Now, that's how I always make wings at home.

One time I slipped on ice outside Town Tavern and skinned my knee, and those sriracha wings were really hot, plus it would get pretty hot if there were a bunch of people in there on a Saturday night. So, I guess you could say I left my blood, sweat, and tears at the Town Tavern. Do you think they'll give me a plaque?
I wish Town Tavern was there when I was a student, they would've got a lot of my money. My wife and I spent so much time in there after games, my son was practically raised in there. He would throw the football with fans and singalong to the songs... Good times. Their pub fare was so good and the atmosphere was awesome bc of how small it was.
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm
I hope I eat my words....but..... this is who we hire? Apparently the desire to be here wasn't as great as we were told if this is what we got.
I believe about 90% of us are really happy with the hire and it exceeded expectations. For less that $1MM, who were you hoping for and why would that have been a better hire?
The 90% of you that are "really happy" had no clue about this guy even being in the mix. The only reason people are saying they are glad is to save face. I bet if most were honest they have severe reservations about this hire. There were many names that people had out there that they wanted to see. Maybe one person mentioned this guy. I personally wanted Horton. It is what it is but I believe if there was as much interest as DG said we would not have went with Drinkawhoisthisguy?
Literally the only reason I’ve seen people say they’re not happy with Drink is because his name isn’t Tim Horton. Y’all will get over it. Once you actually check out Drinks resume let us know what you don’t like about it. Until then it’s just sour grapes cause your man didn’t the job.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm
Deloree’s
OMG! I completely forgot about Delorees! Yes! Best wings, period. They had those unreal hot wings they would dare you to eat.

Man, flashback Friday. I feel old now....Boone has changed so much. You made my day dude.
Last edited by appstatealum on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Burn your butt

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

app97 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am
this is entertaining....GS fans mostly think we made an underwhelming hire. My favorite line is "Very underwhelming hire. Not Summers-level underwhelming, but close."

A southern education apparently means that your research/analysis skills involve looking on the surface of what a coach did with one team in the last year. One GS fan says that Drinkwitz is an "offensive guru who is 70% pass and 30% run". They can't dig deep enough to understand that he has historically designed offense that best fits his personnel (one year at Boise having a mobile QB, another year involving a pocket QB).

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread. ... -Drinkwitz
Lol State was literally 50/50 run vs. pass in 2018, and the last 3 years for that matter.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm
I hope I eat my words....but..... this is who we hire? Apparently the desire to be here wasn't as great as we were told if this is what we got.
I believe about 90% of us are really happy with the hire and it exceeded expectations. For less that $1MM, who were you hoping for and why would that have been a better hire?
The 90% of you that are "really happy" had no clue about this guy even being in the mix. The only reason people are saying they are glad is to save face. I bet if most were honest they have severe reservations about this hire. There were many names that people had out there that they wanted to see. Maybe one person mentioned this guy. I personally wanted Horton. It is what it is but I believe if there was as much interest as DG said we would not have went with Drinkawhoisthisguy?
Literally the only reason I’ve seen people say they’re not happy with Drink is because his name isn’t Tim Horton. Y’all will get over it. Once you actually check out Drinks resume let us know what you don’t like about it. Until then it’s just sour grapes cause your man didn’t the job.
I was one of the first guys saying Horton on here. Let's just say I have a friend with a close connection with Horton and this is what I concluded about him earlier this week (he was never interviewed BTW) -
Horton would have been an interesting hire. He would be here long term ( his desire) and absolutely would know our culture... but he has never been more than a position coach. He would have some great experie ce in recruiting, but his X and Os would be a concern. He would have really had to build a strong staff to propel us forward. Going with a young coach with experience, ala Drink, was a strong move by DG. He knows the changes he is making is going to ruffle feathers, but he knows his moves are ushering in the new phase we all hardcore fans desire.
The Appalachian State

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm
app97 wrote:
this is entertaining....GS fans mostly think we made an underwhelming hire. My favorite line is "Very underwhelming hire. Not Summers-level underwhelming, but close."

A southern education apparently means that your research/analysis skills involve looking on the surface of what a coach did with one team in the last year. One GS fan says that Drinkwitz is an "offensive guru who is 70% pass and 30% run". They can't dig deep enough to understand that he has historically designed offense that best fits his personnel (one year at Boise having a mobile QB, another year involving a pocket QB).

Lol State was literally 50/50 run vs. pass in 2018, and the last 3 years for that matter.
Plus, I think they had (3) 1,000 yard rushers.... Sometimes I wished we had given some of our receiving talent a few more touches....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm
biggie wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm
Why Caribbean Cafe keep getting left out of nostalgia wing discussion. Was and is the best Boone's had.
The Scorching Squared wings ruined me for life on spicy food. My stomach hasn't been the same since.
Scorching Squared Jamaican was my go to.

Hudson2002

Unread post by Hudson2002 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Comments like the one from ASUTodd blow my mind. If you have some self awareness about who we are, meaning Saban ain’t applying for this job, I don’t see how someone could be so negative about this hire. This guy is extremely well regarded in his profession. Is a bright young offensive mind. Has been a coordinator for 4-5 years at big time football programs. I mean really. Whether or not he was on the radar as a candidate for any of us fans is 100% irrelevant.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:20 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm
Why Caribbean Cafe keep getting left out of nostalgia wing discussion. Was and is the best Boone's had.
Oh. Good call. Good, but still not better than Delorees....
The Appalachian State

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm

StinklikeRoses wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 pm
app97 wrote:

I think you guys made a decent move. Coaching searches are minefields, and there really aren't any red flags to cause alarm with Drinkwitz.

FWIW, that thread actually comes down about 20% being complimentary of the hire, 60% being curious as to how Drink will implement what he wants to do with your roster, and 20% being negative. (That's ignoring all the posts that are just hoping he will turn out to be your Tyson Summers, of course). The quoted post above is an extreme outlier.

Here's a question: A name that I thought might come up but never did was . . . . Butch Jones. He's had good success in a lot of places, although only modest success at UT. He was available and affordable . . . thought he might at least get a mention once y'all started talking about Ruffin McNeill.
Not sure that Butch would even be on the radar for us based on what we do and how we do it. He just doesn’t seem to fit the mold of our culture and institution. Neither does Ruffin McNeill

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm

app97 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm
StinklikeRoses wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 pm
app97 wrote:

I think you guys made a decent move. Coaching searches are minefields, and there really aren't any red flags to cause alarm with Drinkwitz.

FWIW, that thread actually comes down about 20% being complimentary of the hire, 60% being curious as to how Drink will implement what he wants to do with your roster, and 20% being negative. (That's ignoring all the posts that are just hoping he will turn out to be your Tyson Summers, of course). The quoted post above is an extreme outlier.

Here's a question: A name that I thought might come up but never did was . . . . Butch Jones. He's had good success in a lot of places, although only modest success at UT. He was available and affordable . . . thought he might at least get a mention once y'all started talking about Ruffin McNeill.
Not sure that Butch would even be on the radar for us based on what we do and how we do it. He just doesn’t seem to fit the mold of our culture and institution. Neither does Ruffin McNeill
I want nothing to do with Butch after he addressed our postgame huddle after we didn’t achieve our objective at Tennessee.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Maybe the fact that Drinkwitz wasn't on our radar (for the most part) means Gillen and others directly involved in the search process have a better radar than we do.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:37 pm

appchicago wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:28 pm
Maybe the fact that Drinkwitz wasn't on our radar (for the most part) means Gillen and others directly involved in the search process have a better radar than we do.
.No. Because he wasn't an APP guy and none of us were talking about him, he must suck and be the worst hire EVER. I'm pretty sure he didn't even get "Hollywood's" endorsement
Last edited by appstatealum on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I want nothing to do with Butch after he addressed our postgame huddle after we didn’t achieve our objective at Tennessee.
What is this in reference to? What did he say to our guys postgame?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:48 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 pm
AppinVA wrote:

He came to give us our participation trophy... He basically congratulated us on a good game like we were some little kid that tried hard but expectedly came up short.
The Appalachian State

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:52 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 pm
AppinVA wrote:

2:39:15

He apparently commended the players on a well-played game, which got praise, but in reality it was self-serving in front of the cameras and arrogant. Our players didn't want to hear from the opposing coach right then and there. He could have done that in private or a phone call, like Lloyd Carr did.

ImissKlondike

Unread post by ImissKlondike » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm
StorminASU wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am
For the record, I made Dean's List a few times back in the late 90's. I was also an excellent Foosball player. I also did pretty well on trivia nights at Geno's.
Oh man, I had forgotten about Genos!

Since Genos and Murphys are both gone, where is the best place to get wings in town now? I live there and haven't found anywhere better than "The Rock" now and that's not my preference at all.
Yep. It was Geno's, then Murpheys, then Town Tavern, now The Rock. You can find me at the Rock after every game consuming beer, wings, and football. My healthy eating goes out the window this time of year.

Man, some good times at Geno's. I also loved the Mango Habeneros at Town Tavern after the games before they switched owners...
Town Tavern was my jam when I was a student. Once I asked the original owner how they made their wings so good. He said to bake them until they are almost done, then throw them in the deep fryer just long enough to get nice and crispy. That's how you get a nice cripsness on the outside while staying good and juicy on the inside. Now, that's how I always make wings at home.

One time I slipped on ice outside Town Tavern and skinned my knee, and those sriracha wings were really hot, plus it would get pretty hot if there were a bunch of people in there on a Saturday night. So, I guess you could say I left my blood, sweat, and tears at the Town Tavern. Do you think they'll give me a plaque?
Literally sitting in Buffalo Wild Wing as I write this. I miss Klondike’s wings. They grilled them so they had that nice char. Mmm

Vivid memories of skipping some class on a unseasonably warm afternoon in March there. Maybe even hear the crack of a bat from a baseball game.
I believe my username explains where I fall in this discussion

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Football Scoop reporting Nate Woody to Army as DC. Weird.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”