Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

johnoralex
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Head Coach - Eliah Drinkwitz

Unread post by johnoralex » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 pm

I feel like we should be supportive until he gives us a reason to not be. He's currently undefeated as our head coach. Also, at one point in our lives none of us were "App guys". You have to start somewhere. He's a mountaineer now!

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Wow. Like what do you say to that. Just wow.

Jerry Moore was an outsider.

If we only hire within who has AD experience that we can hire? If we do that then we result to good ole boy network and end up with Chris Moore putting his legs up on the desks and doing things that I am not gonna mention on here.

Geez

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 pm

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm
As a ASU Football Hall of Famer this hire is EMBARRASSING when you consider the multiple coaches out there with App State Connections who were more qualified than this guy. Johnn Settles, greatest RB in App State history and currently coaching at Wisconsin. Has coached on every level. Ruffin McNeil, former head coach at ECU and now Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. Those two were the most qualified and also happen to be African-American. It’s time for us to diversify our football program. Over the past 30yrs I don’t think we’ve had more than 2 full-time minority Assistant Football Coaches on our staff at any one time. Go look at all the Power 5 Conferences and look at the makeup of their Assistant Football Coaches. But the real problem is that we now have an AD in Doug Gillin who doesn’t respect the winning culture that has been built over the last 30yrs at App State. Yes, we are still winning, but those of us who Built the Rock are loosing faith and pulling our support for an AD who clearly doesn’t understand the history of App State Football... Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham
TROLL???

If you have such a gripe, contact the AD and have a discussion with him. Don't hide behind a message board username.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm
NC States staff has been fighting off getting fired for the past 3yrs. I’m trying to figure out what games you guys have been watching. There’s nothing about the NC State Football program that would beg for us to skip over multiple coaches with strong App State Connections for this guy. I smell trouble brewing for our program. Our AD is an outsider who doesn’t understand the culture of Boone and our football program m. Remember that this App State Hall of Famer warned you. Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham.
I guess them trying not to get fired is why NC State did so poorly this year: being ranked in the top 25 for consecutive weeks, being 9-3 (lose to Clemson in there), and playing in the Gator bowl, right? I mean, I know as a fanbase I'd want that staff out too, so just because this guy isn't from AppState, we should hate him, right? If you really smell trouble brewing, you need to get your nose checked out.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Hire the most qualified guys in our price range. Doesn't matter what they look like. Back off the identity politics Mr "Hall of Famer".
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Roachel Laney had App connections and we wandered around in the desert of a middling 1-AA athletics program. I don’t buy into keeping it in the family.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Futfibal wrote:
NC States staff has been fighting off getting fired for the past 3yrs. I’m trying to figure out what games you guys have been watching. There’s nothing about the NC State Football program that would beg for us to skip over multiple coaches with strong App State Connections for this guy. I smell trouble brewing for our program. Our AD is an outsider who doesn’t understand the culture of Boone and our football program m. Remember that this App State Hall of Famer warned you. Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham.
Funny, Dwayne has a signon with Yosef, but it's HoFLB21. Oh, and his school of choice would not be Charleston.

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Were you ever able to grift enough from the Appalachian faithful to get you to the World Series of Poker?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Futfibal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm
As a ASU Football Hall of Famer this hire is EMBARRASSING when you consider the multiple coaches out there with App State Connections who were more qualified than this guy. Johnn Settles, greatest RB in App State history and currently coaching at Wisconsin. Has coached on every level. Ruffin McNeil, former head coach at ECU and now Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma. Those two were the most qualified and also happen to be African-American. It’s time for us to diversify our football program. Over the past 30yrs I don’t think we’ve had more than 2 full-time minority Assistant Football Coaches on our staff at any one time. Go look at all the Power 5 Conferences and look at the makeup of their Assistant Football Coaches. But the real problem is that we now have an AD in Doug Gillin who doesn’t respect the winning culture that has been built over the last 30yrs at App State. Yes, we are still winning, but those of us who Built the Rock are loosing faith and pulling our support for an AD who clearly doesn’t understand the history of App State Football... Dwayne “Hollywood” Pelham
nepotism and "good ole boy" preferences should not be the precedent for hiring in any organization. You go with who fits what we do and how we do it, and who is most likely to continue the success on and off the field. Who says that Settles and McNeill were even interested in the job? If they were, who says that the committee thought they were good fits after the interviews?

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm
Hire the most qualified guys in our price range. Doesn't matter what they look like. Back off the identity politics Mr "Hall of Famer".
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xQdtC ... /giphy.gif

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:34 pm

He’s on a flight from Raleigh toNO with friends of mine. They sent the picture. I’ll try to copy it

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm

TROLL???

If you have such a gripe, contact the AD and have a discussion with him. Don't hide behind a message board username.
[/quote]

I apologize. You're not a troll. Thank you for what you have done for ASU and it's football program. Still contact the AD.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:42 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:24 pm
Futfibal wrote:
Funny, Dwayne has a signon with Yosef, but it's HoFLB21. Oh, and his school of choice would not be Charleston.
I take that back, it is him. He was a runningback's coach at Charleston Southern and has an email with the same name.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:43 pm

This isn’t the first “Legacy” guy I’ve talked to that has this point of view. In fact, I talked one off the ledge earlier today. What is hard for the Jerry Era guys is they are used to that 30 year coach and FCS mentality. This is an all new ballgame, a brand new landscape, those days are gone. No one forgets what that era gave us, it is the soil upon which we have grown this beautiful program. But no one wants to rip our turf up and go back to staring at the dirt. We are adding new fertilizer and taking this thing up a notch. Eli seems young, knowledgeable, successful and hungry. What more can we ask for? I was wanting Gattis, but Eli is a more proven “young offensive mind”. I’m good with it. Ruffin was never a good option, Settles, Searles, Elliot, Ledford etc we’re not ideal for multiple reasons stated on the many threads recently. I liked Horton, but more for a culture and recruiting reason. But with his level of experience, he would have needed to bring in a stout staff to maintain our momentum. Apps future is bringing in young guys who want to jump in the driver’s seat of a nice car and see if the can prove themselves on the Busch (not sure what it’s called now, haha) Series so they can make the Monster Series.

As far as the “identity politics”, there is no need for that here. I never even factored in or though about Gattis’ skin color or any other candidate until it was brought up yesterday. The root of the comment was respectable as he would’ve been the first AA to hold the position in Boone. But if we keep identifying ourselves as anything other than Americans, we aren’t helping the cause. Now, that’s all I’ll say on that.
Last edited by appstatealum on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Appalachian State

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Man, it's going to be an awkward day when/if Coach Drink and ol' "Hollywood" have to share a table at a future Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 pm

We don't even know for sure that John Settle or Ruffin were even interested in the job. Why would either leave their current positions with high level programs?
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:49 pm

It's "Settle" .

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm

I know Hollywood. You can never know if the poster actually is who they say they are, but if this is really Hollywood, I can see both sides.

On one hand, I think Drink really has the potential to be a homerun hire. Specifically what he has done and the programs where he has done it get me excited.

I feel like the NCSU defense was really to blame for the Wake & Syracuse games and if you want to get very specific, their secondary.

But on the other side, I totally respect the points on the Appalachian family and minorities. And I guess I’m still hesitant to emphasize that argument until we see who all of the assistants are....And not sure if we will know if we reached out to those guys or potentially Brown, who would also be a minority in the App family.

At this point it is too early to tell Drink’s fate, but to say this is a terrible hire, I respectfully disagree.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:51 pm

biggie wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am
Do hope he can learn to hate Ark St.
I don't find that difficult.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”