Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Keep Ivey and as much of this current staff as possible

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Keep Ivey and as much of this current staff as possible

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm
We now have an Assistant Head Coach and O Line Coach. CONGRATULATIONS Shawn Clark
I still maintain it was more Clark than Ivey in the bowl game.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm
It is certainly ironic that so many people were already getting upset about Ivey being "snubbed" for HC or DC, demanding we try to keep him etc. The shoe ended up being on the other foot and he took off for more $ despite our efforts to retain him.

I think segment of our fanbase has learned a valuable lesson from this coaching transition.
Thank you. As much as we love Appalachian and as much as these coaches, many of whom played here love Appalachian, they are career coaches. All of them want to move up in their chosen field. Appalachian will likely never get to a point we can offer assistants the kind of money they could get at even bad P5 schools. Appreciate the contributions they made while here but don't expect loyalty uber alles
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ColorAdo App

Unread post by ColorAdo App » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

I’m new to posting on the board here, so I know this won’t be taken too seriously or at least without questions of authenticity. However, DJ and Ivey wanted to stay at App but DG wouldn’t offer them more than a 1yr contract. It sounded like they were both pretty upset about it. Apparently DG only wants to give out longer contracts to coordinators per my understanding. Which means Ivey wasn’t going to be the DC anyway...?

Those that have more connections or an inside track should look into it and/or help us dig a little deeper.

My source is a coach that called DJ to congratulate him and DJ gave him this response.
Give 'Em Hell

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:16 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Satt taking Ivey might be a blessing in disguise. Drink can choose whomever he wants and it’s not like he got rid of Ivey, Ivey left us. The players should have no hard feelings toward Drink over this.
It is/was overblown in this forum, but I agree 100%. This dodges a potential huge political sticking point, both within the coaching staff, with the players, and with the fans.
Ivey is Satt’s right hand. It would have taken a lot to keep him, like $ and an AHC and DC title. From what I was hearing in NO, that was not in the cards right now. All former coaches have a passion for the program and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some back one day,

After the press conference, I came away thinking that Clark was the guy Drink was more enamored with keeping around. I think the next guy with a strong hand on the team will be the DC, and it sounds like Drink is going to take his time finding the right guy to compliment his vision.
You nailed it, man.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:20 pm

ColorAdo App wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm
I’m new to posting on the board here, so I know this won’t be taken too seriously or at least without questions of authenticity. However, DJ and Ivey wanted to stay at App but DG wouldn’t offer them more than a 1yr contract. It sounded like they were both pretty upset about it. Apparently DG only wants to give out longer contracts to coordinators per my understanding. Which means Ivey wasn’t going to be the DC anyway...?

Those that have more connections or an inside track should look into it and/or help us dig a little deeper.

My source is a coach that called DJ to congratulate him and DJ gave him this response.
You're right it will be questioned. Seems like all the inside scoop is now originating from "fans" that have been around for a few days to a few hours. In any event, nobody cares now, it's over. They are gone, and ASU football will embrace the future with a new coaching regime.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:47 pm

ColorAdo App wrote:

They were going to ask for something rarely given a G5 assistant - and definitely not position coaches - and leave otherwise. Can’t blame them for trying, but we’ll be fine without them.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:32 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm
We now have an Assistant Head Coach and O Line Coach. CONGRATULATIONS Shawn Clark
I still maintain it was more Clark than Ivey in the bowl game.
There is a lot of things that happened after Satt and staff left and Ivey really was the glue to keep these boys focused. As far as preparation and X and Os, yes, Clark was an integral part of that. But in terms of rallying the kids and overcoming some “trivial” obstacles (ie. Equipment not making it to NO!), that was Ivey.

With that said, Clark is an App guy too and he will help rally the kids behind Eli. I’m a business guy, and I can absolutely see why DG did the things he did. The Drink era has begun and I get the feeling it’ll be a great ride! Let’s all toast and Drink to that!
The Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am

Anyone think that Clark may be the head coach in waiting if Drink does well and moves on to greener pastures? My hope is that Drink will eventually hand the playcalling duties off to Clark once they have some time under their belt working together.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 am

ColorAdo App wrote:

If this horse ain't dead yet , put a bullet between it's eyes.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am

I like what Ivey and DJ have done over the years but given the situation Drink handled this well. He offered them a position for at least a year which would have given him a chance to see how their chemistry and philosophy worked with his...also a chance to see if lingering attitudes about being passed over and an outsider brought in affected their performance and locker room culture. Not saying their attitudes would have negative going forward but I've been in similar situations in the corporate world and I regretted keeping the guy on board that was up for my position and was passed over to bring me in from outside the company. Everybody's different but in my situation, with hindsight, I should have shown that guy the door as soon as my boxes were unpacked in my office. Again, not saying that would have been the case with Ivey & DJ, but bruised egos are tricky things to manage and deal with for anybody.
Drink is our guy and I support everything he's done so far.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am

It’s hard to keep a guy on who might feel like he was snubbed. I would not want that guy on my staff- nothing personal against snubbed guy but a head coach must have the buy in from the administration and his staff. He can’t afford to deal with butt hurt.

Unread post by 8993 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:41 am

ColorAdo App wrote:

I sincerely mean this when I ask what good does this kind of comment do? I am not going to tell you how to handle yourself on here or what to post, but this does nothing but cast doubt in people's minds and create more discourse amongst our fanbase. What's done is done, so why not just leave it at that rather than come on here and post what you're hearing to make our fans question what the truth really is?

As has been stated a hundred times on here the past few weeks, there is no one source that is going to tell you the whole truth without their own bias coming into play. We don't need more rumor mongering about stuff that was heard from your best friend's nephew's basketball coach. Spreading this kind of stuff on public forums does have an impact on this fanbase, on recruits, on our players, on our staff, and every other party that could come into play. People read this stuff and suddenly get a chip on their shoulder in believing that one man's word is the true word based off of pure rumors.

So seriously, think before you post. Remember that we need to be uniting this fanbase behind Drink regardless of his or DG's tough-to-swallow decisions, not finding ways to create discourse and doubt of who the "good guy" or "bad guy" really is. This is the future of App State, so we are either all in or all out and I, for one, am all in.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am

To quote Homer Simpson:
“I’ve already forgotten his name”

What’s gone is gone. I support the Black and Gold and only those who wear it. Go App.
The Appalachian State

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 am

8993 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:41 am
ColorAdo App wrote:

I sincerely mean this when I ask what good does this kind of comment do? I am not going to tell you how to handle yourself on here or what to post, but this does nothing but cast doubt in people's minds and create more discourse amongst our fanbase. What's done is done, so why not just leave it at that rather than come on here and post what you're hearing to make our fans question what the truth really is?

As has been stated a hundred times on here the past few weeks, there is no one source that is going to tell you the whole truth without their own bias coming into play. We don't need more rumor mongering about stuff that was heard from your best friend's nephew's basketball coach. Spreading this kind of stuff on public forums does have an impact on this fanbase, on recruits, on our players, on our staff, and every other party that could come into play. People read this stuff and suddenly get a chip on their shoulder in believing that one man's word is the true word based off of pure rumors.

So seriously, think before you post. Remember that we need to be uniting this fanbase behind Drink regardless of his or DG's tough-to-swallow decisions, not finding ways to create discourse and doubt of who the "good guy" or "bad guy" really is. This is the future of App State, so we are either all in or all out and I, for one, am all in.
Nothing wrong with ColorAdo App's post. Sharing information is the main purpose of this board. And I don't think knowing a bit about what happened behind the scenes somehow creates discord going forward. We will listen, learn and move on.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am

I'm sorry it didnt work out at App for Ivey et al that left. BUT everyone remember it's not because of anything DG or Coach D did or didnt or wasnt in a position to do. The leverage was all as a result of Satt's deal at UL and put us in an untenable situation. YOu dont hamstring your new coach with multiple year deals for assistants that he may not end up seeing eye-to-eye with. In the end it will be good for the departed financially and resume building and while Coach D is an unknown I'm optimistic.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 am

We all forget how Satterfield left to go get some other experience and came back. Maybe Ivey is doing the same thing. We can speculate til the cows come home. Regardless of the situation we are all still alumni, current students, fans, and family members. None of us have left. The other thing is that there are still a group of young men that still have to get an education and at the same time play some ball. I've learned one thing in my 40+ years on this Earth, that no matter how bad the situation looks....one of two things will happen. It'll get better or get worse. I hope for everyone's sake it gets better. As much as I didn't like the hire I think we will be fine.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 am

Heard from a source close to the program that coach Eric Taylor is in play as AHC. This is amazing since he has been out of the game for a while and only served as HC at TMU for a short period. His wife Tami is a smoke show so that alone gets my vote.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 am

There are some trouble makers about for sure. Why are they trying to get a group of people riled up? I think less of Jones and Ivey now if this is the case. No spilt milk coming for the other coaches. Holt, Ponce, Iron Mike and Brown are all on Twitter supporting and congratulating the players and everyone around AppState Football.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from another you've been messing around.
Last edited by goapps93 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

appbio91 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 am
Heard from a source close to the program that coach Eric Taylor is in play as AHC. This is amazing since he has been out of the game for a while and only served as HC at TMU for a short period. His wife Tami is a smoke show so that alone gets my vote.
Wasn’t Clark just named AHC?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”