Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Keep Ivey and as much of this current staff as possible

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Keep Ivey and as much of this current staff as possible

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm
According to Drinks own statement he plans on going multiple, not just 3-4. Not sure if App currently has the horses to align in a 4-3 look properly which is worrisome. If he has success, in two years he may be gone. No need t ok blow up the defense and I'm hopeful that he will l.j watch film from the past two seasons to see just how dominant the unit can be in the current scheme with current coaching.
When was this said?
[/quote]

Going multiple looks is a great thing. I have never been a big fan of just 4-3 or just 3-4. I love having different sets. Same on offense. Satt never wanted to go under center and I think we should be able to do every look. Just using the same look on both sides is much easier to prepare for than if we go with multiple sets on both sides.

We actually do have the personnel to run a 4-3. You do realize that our personnel is not the typical 3-4 personnel you would see in the SEC or ACC, right? Go look at the size of our DL and LB and then look at UGA and those who run a 3-4. We run a different version with smaller players.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm
When was this said?
Donor breakfast in NOLA. Drink also said we'll have a spring game.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Beware...Do not over complicate this. A significant key to our smaller D is to be able to play fast, aggressive, instinctively and to have enough depth on D line to rotate fresh players. Know your job and do your job.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Not gonna lie the latest highlight video App State posted where Ivey is saying “I love you guys and I love being a Mountaineer” had me misty eyed. We gotta keep someone around the program who loves it so much..
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm

beav910 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm
Not gonna lie the latest highlight video App State posted where Ivey is saying “I love you guys and I love being a Mountaineer” had me misty eyed. We gotta keep someone around the program who loves it so much..
I'm actually glad we lost many of those we did. Word on the street is that Iron Mike was very tough to work with and he wore people down. I was never impressed with Ponce but I hate to see Brown go. None of them had App ties except for Satt and they clearly were just here as a stop on the way to the big paycheck and that is okay. I prefer we get people who just love being here but that is hard to find. It makes a difference when you do it not just for yourself but for the players and the program and that's what we get with Ivey. He may get an offer he can't refuse but I hope Drink does everything he can to keep him. I have no doubt Ivey would stay on a discount.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm
beav910 wrote:
That is why I'm actually glad we lost all we have lost from the staff. Every one of them has a big ego and was in this only for themselves. They don't love being at App State and that is okay. I prefer we get people who just love being here. It makes a difference when you do it not just for yourself but for the players and the program and that's what we get with Ivey.
You’ve made some good comments but this one is terribly naive.

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 pm

No inside info but just have a gut feeling that Satterfield will make Ivey an offer he can't turn down. Ivey was one heck of a leader through the last 2 weeks but you have to think not getting the head job has to factor in any decision.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
beav910 wrote:
That is why I'm actually glad we lost all we have lost from the staff. Every one of them has a big ego and was in this only for themselves. They don't love being at App State and that is okay. I prefer we get people who just love being here. It makes a difference when you do it not just for yourself but for the players and the program and that's what we get with Ivey.
Awful lot of conclusions drawn here about men you don't know. We literally never ask this of any other profession than college coaches...that you must stay forever, or you don't love our school, and you never cared about your players. Utterly ridiculous.

There is never a great time to make a move - but just because these men have different goals for themselves, ones that don't align with what you think they should be - doesn't mean that they don't care for their players or this school. They have other things to consider, including their family, their long-term career goals, etc.

Most of these guys spent at least a few years sleeping on couches or haring houses with other young coaches, really making less than minimum wage, just so they could call themselves college coaches...but lets bash them as they make a move to secure their future because they are "only in it form themselves".

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 am

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
beav910 wrote:
I'm actually glad we lost many of those we did. Word on the street is that Iron Mike was very tough to work with and he wore people down. I was never impressed with Ponce but I hate to see Brown go. None of them had App ties except for Satt and they clearly were just here as a stop on the way to the big paycheck and that is okay. I prefer we get people who just love being here but that is hard to find. It makes a difference when you do it not just for yourself but for the players and the program and that's what we get with Ivey. He may get an offer he can't refuse but I hope Drink does everything he can to keep him. I have no doubt Ivey would stay on a discount.
Awful lot of conclusions drawn here about men you don't know. We literally never ask this of any other profession than college coaches...that you must stay forever, or you don't love our school, and you never cared about your players. Utterly ridiculous.

There is never a great time to make a move - but just because these men have different goals for themselves, ones that don't align with what you think they should be - doesn't mean that they don't care for their players or this school. They have other things to consider, including their family, their long-term career goals, etc.

Most of these guys spent at least a few years sleeping on couches or haring houses with other young coaches, really making less than minimum wage, just so they could call themselves college coaches...but lets bash them as they make a move to secure their future because they are "only in it form themselves".
I'm not bashing them for making the move in general. I did edit it some to say more of what I meant. I'm not the greatest writer so it is hard to say what I mean and know what my emotion or motive is in a comment.

All I said was that they clearly didn't love just being here at this point and were wanting to go make big money, which is fine. I know plenty of people who know them and all of them were nice in general but the word around is that Ponce is just a buddy of Satt and rode his coattails out of FIU, Iron Mike was very hard to work for, and Satt had got to the point where he felt he could not do anything bigger at App and wanted to go ahead and get the big paycheck so if fired in a few years he is still set for life.

I felt Satt and Ponce were just average on offense and that we could do more with what we have and we saw in the bowl game that we could. Hopefully Drink runs the same type of culture as Satt and those who did our recruiting evals remain at App for most part and we should be able to maintain and even build more on what Satt led.

To me, the biggest loss of the group on gameday was Bryan Brown and he has no App ties so it is 100% understandable that he wanted to follow Satt for the big money.

And while I know Drink just got here I also know he has no App ties. I'm sure he wants to be here now but will go for the money when given the chance in a few years (if things go as they should).

I think some of you think when we say they did not want to be hear anymore or went for the money is a bad thing. It is just a fact, neither good or bad in general. Just how it is.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am

Here is my concern. Ivey and company stayed on and players left it on the field for those guys. Drink should let any man stay that will accept what we can pay them to stay. If the coaches leave on their own, no one should fault them for that. If Drink pushes Ivey and company out and Ivey and company want to stay, Drink is going to lose his team from the get go. I think Drink was a great hire, but he will quickly become a terrible hire if he mismanages the coaching staff situation.

That is his first test to pass. After that, try to keep current players on the team and not lose any major contributors to transfer. Third, regroup and reload on recruiting.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 am

No. You said they were only in it for themselves. That is not just telling it like it is.

Here - read this if you want to know what Scott and many others go through just to get to this point. Then ask yourself if he owes it to his wife to keep pushing himself higher. Guarantee you everyone of those guys has a story similar to this:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 330380002/

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 am

It does suck to lose our coach who has done a great job. But if we do, that means we are winning. It is hard to blame them for leavening. It is hard to turn down that money. No matter how much you love the school. He left the program in good shape and as long as we lose coaches to winning we will attract good coaches that can continue winning.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am
Here is my concern. Ivey and company stayed on and players left it on the field for those guys. Drink should let any man stay that will accept what we can pay them to stay. If the coaches leave on their own, no one should fault them for that. If Drink pushes Ivey and company out and Ivey and company want to stay, Drink is going to lose his team from the get go. I think Drink was a great hire, but he will quickly become a terrible hire if he mismanages the coaching staff situation.

That is his first test to pass. After that, try to keep current players on the team and not lose any major contributors to transfer. Third, regroup and reload on recruiting.
That is what I'm thinking and I believe if he thought he may want to do that he had his mind changed in New Orleans. He talked to Jerry Moore, many boosters, saw the staff and players, and saw how good the coaches who remained are. He would be a moron to not want to keep who he can. If some leave because they need the money for their family then that is okay but I agree it is 100% not okay if he pushed them out and Drink is smart enough not to, I think.

He has 3 big tests over this two weeks. 1. staff situation 2. keeping players on the team from transferring 3. Keep most of our commits and add a couple more so we don't have a lame duck type recruiting class. If he can do those 3 then he will have a great start to his tenure.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 am

Hasn't it already beed established that Ivey at least has been offered a chance to stay? All this discussion of if Drink does this or that is kind of moot at this point. It seems the ball is in Ivey's court. Does he want to stay for what we can afford to pay him? It's certainly not whether or not we or Drink want him here or not, we all do, but there is only so much money to pay.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 am

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 am
No. You said they were only in it for themselves. That is not just telling it like it is.

Here - read this if you want to know what Scott and many others go through just to get to this point. Then ask yourself if he owes it to his wife to keep pushing himself higher. Guarantee you everyone of those guys has a story similar to this:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 330380002/
I have read this before and I know what many go through early on. They are not full-time, have to live on the couch of someone or stay at home, and they often rely on others to help them get through those first couple years. It is tough but what they are willing to go through to become a head coach one day.

Some are acting like when I say they have an ego and go chase the money that it is bad. That is fact. Many coaches in D2, FCS, and G5 level have had chances to go and make more but love where they are more. All but Satt does not have App ties and we were just a stop on their journey to reach head coach status that they all want some day. Satt has App ties and it is believed at one time he was not looking to go anywhere but somewhere in the last 2 years he decided he needed to go get paid rather than stay at App and be comfortable. He felt he did all he could at App and wanted to go make the big money now. But let's not be naive here and think that Satt and his family was struggling with 600-900k a year at App. I know many people who made less than that for 30 years and retired with a lot of money in the bank.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:02 am

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 am
Hasn't it already been established that Ivey at least has been offered a chance to stay? All this discussion of if Drink does this or that is kind of moot at this point. It seems the ball is in Ivey's court. Does he want to stay for what we can afford to pay him? It's certainly not whether or not we or Drink want him here or not, we all do, but there is only so much money to pay.
It looks like he does. We just don't know what kind of offer. Is it a raise or the same as before? Would he keep assistant head coach title or just be a DL coach? Does anyone on here know what exact offer he has?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am

I saw Coach D reached out to Satt, former players and Jerry Moore. You dont do that just to blow smoke. He knows what we have and wants to take us to the next level. ANY asst. coach that needs to move to provide better for the family I have no problem with.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am
I saw Coach D reached out to Satt, former players and Jerry Moore. You dont do that just to blow smoke. He knows what we have and wants to take us to the next level. ANY asst. coach that needs to move to provide better for the family I have no problem with.
I saw him speaking to JM at the Bowl game on TV, but how did you "see" that he reached out to Satt and former players?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Not to answer for Rekdiver but Drink did mention in this morning's press conference that he called Coach Moore and Scott after he got the job and both offered to help him any way they can and that they love App State.
WE ARE YOSEF!

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:02 pm
Not to answer for Rekdiver but Drink did mention in this morning's press conference that he called Coach Moore and Scott after he got the job and both offered to help him any way they can and that they love App State.
For some reason my boss expected me to actually work during the press conference and asked about 4 ill timed questions, so I missed that part. Why doesn't the world go on hold during important App State events?

That is pretty cool from both sides though, Eli's and the other two. SS will always be a Mountaineer at heart I believe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”