Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

DUCK

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: DUCK

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:39 pm

I would have thought he might leave if he'd had more exposure this year. He just got thrown at so few times this year his name isn't as big as it was at the end of last year. I'm sure he wants a few more INTs/TDs to get his name out there more next year for NFL stock rise.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 am
TIGMA15 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am
My immense knowledge of NFL scouting & building a sub-par Madden roster tells me that he's a little small for NFL, no? I'm a big Duck fan though.
I'll bet money he plays in the NFL but getting drafted high and making it are two different things. Tae Hayes should get a shot and possibly make it but he is bigger than Duck. Stand near both of them and Hayes at least has some bulk. Duck is way too light right now. He needs to add some weight. Super thin frame right now. Tough as heck and fun to watch. He deserves to get drafted in 2020 as long as he stays healthy and has another good year.
I'd bet money that Hayes plays in the NFL. Much of Duck's "size" is his shoulder pads. Put on a standard size and he shrinks to the smallest guy on the field at any one time. The Honey Badger is probably only a little bigger but he is given his own position in a defense due to his speed and tenacity. Duck has the tenacity and all the intangibles you could want at any level, but he likely is just below the cut-off physically.

Another example of an undersized corner is Dante Jackson. Same story as the Honey Badger, elite speed and tenacity.
The Giants have a 5'9, 160 pound corner and there are some of Duck's size but there aren't many. I honestly think even with a big year Duck is a late round pick who makes it as a backup or a practice squad. He is a heck of a college player and great person from what people say. I hope that he overcomes the size by adding some weight and has a long career. He truly deserves it.
I agree with everything that you said. However, Marcus Cox deserved a shot in the NFL based on his character and output in college. He never got that opportunity. The NFL isn't about what you deserve but what you have the ability to earn. The 5'9 160 lb types are not only rare but incredibly improbable. You see Sproles success and longevity in the NFL, but name another player his stature who gets quality playing time, or has in the past 20 years.

Duck will get a shot to prove he belongs but ultimately I think his lack of length will hold him back. His arm measurements, speed, and agility drills will be the crux that determines how far he gets in the NFL. I think he will likely get into a camp and get to at least one preseason game. If he impresses in camp, he will move along in the process to getting to a PS or active roster. If not, he will be cut. But he isn't likely to be a hot commodity come draft day.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:39 pm
I would have thought he might leave if he'd had more exposure this year. He just got thrown at so few times this year his name isn't as big as it was at the end of last year. I'm sure he wants a few more INTs/TDs to get his name out there more next year for NFL stock rise.
If he was 6'0 190 lbs and ran a 4.4 40 he would leave regardless of his numbers. NFL Scouts know a player when they see one, regardless of statistics that a player accrues. Everyone, including scouts assigned to App State would know by watching Duck play that he doesn't get a ton of opportunities. If he was to be projected as a third round pick, he might leave because he won't improve his stock much more than that due to the lack of physical attributes.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dspro ... &genpos=cb

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm
biggie wrote:
If he was 6'0 190 lbs and ran a 4.4 40 he would leave regardless of his numbers. NFL Scouts know a player when they see one, regardless of statistics that a player accrues. Everyone, including scouts assigned to App State would know by watching Duck play that he doesn't get a ton of opportunities. If he was to be projected as a third round pick, he might leave because he won't improve his stock much more than that due to the lack of physical attributes.

Duck is not going in the 3rd round. I could see 5th or 6th but he is tiny. Media may love him cause of production but you will see his name fall a little bit when they get NFL feedback. I love Duck but he would have to run a 4.3 and blow the roof off the NFL combine to go in the top 100 because he is not only short but thin.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Boroneer10 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm
Duck is a great athlete with incredible natural coverage skills. His biggest obstacle for the NFL is that he is about 5'8 170
But The Duckster has the intangibles of IQ and heart. That and a lot of swag.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm
ericsaid wrote:
biggie wrote:

Duck is not going in the 3rd round. I could see 5th or 6th but he is tiny. Media may love him cause of production but you will see his name fall a little bit when they get NFL feedback. I love Duck but he would have to run a 4.3 and blow the roof off the NFL combine to go in the top 100 because he is not only short but thin.
Operative word was "If". It was less of a question and more of a statement that he wouldn't be a Top 3 round pick so he has no reason to leave.

There is a lot to like about him as a college athlete but he doesn't have hardly any of the measurable or tangible qualities that NFL teams look for.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Duck is not as thin as most of you may think. He may be very short and that's no doubt what will hold him back, but he is not a thin guy by any stretch. He is a great open field tackler and if you've ever seen him without pads you'll see he's a pretty muscular dude for a corner. If he was 2-3 inches taller no doubt he's in the middle of the draft. But he'll be a 6/7th rounder or UDFA next year for sure.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm

If Duck listens to some wacked our agent trying to convince him he is ready he may think about it. He needs another year.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm
If Duck listens to some wacked our agent trying to convince him he is ready he may think about it. He needs another year.
He's not going anywhere this year.

">

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:29 pm

I asked Satt this question at the Yosef gathering in Charlotte. He was very clear in his answer. "No".

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
biggie wrote:

Operative word was "If". It was less of a question and more of a statement that he wouldn't be a Top 3 round pick so he has no reason to leave.

There is a lot to like about him as a college athlete but he doesn't have hardly any of the measurable or tangible qualities that NFL teams look for.
I agree Duck won't be a starter and it will be interesting to see what kind of year he has next year but if he can play well against the SEC and ACC opponents next year there is no question he will get a shot. Once there, it is up to him to play well and the coaches whether or not they think he is worth a practice squad or 53 man spot. I truly hope he at least plays a couple years because he deserves to make it for a little bit, at the very least, with the career he has had. He is going to have to test very well and show he can gain some weight.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
biggie wrote:

I agree Duck won't be a starter and it will be interesting to see what kind of year he has next year but if he can play well against the SEC and ACC opponents next year there is no question he will get a shot. Once there, it is up to him to play well and the coaches whether or not they think he is worth a practice squad or 53 man spot. I truly hope he at least plays a couple years because he deserves to make it for a little bit, at the very least, with the career he has had. He is going to have to test very well and show he can gain some weight.
I like how Duck plays for App but the mentality of deserving something isn't the nature of the business. You have to go out and take it. If there is an opportunity, he needs to snatch it, because it's not going to come to him because of his numbers. He's not going to test that well at App's Pro Day and likely the Senior Bowl. He won't measure as well either. It will all come down to drills and football IQ.

But the thought of him lining up on a Josh Gordon, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, or even a Smith-Schuster, makes me not see where he really fits in the NFL.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Clifton Duck has NFL nickle back all over him..........

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm
Eh I think a lot of people just say that because he's small. That's the hardest skill position in the league to play. Will see how he does in all the lateral movement tests but I'm not quite sure that's his strong suit.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

I like how Duck plays for App but the mentality of deserving something isn't the nature of the business. You have to go out and take it. If there is an opportunity, he needs to snatch it, because it's not going to come to him because of his numbers. He's not going to test that well at App's Pro Day and likely the Senior Bowl. He won't measure as well either. It will all come down to drills and football IQ.

But the thought of him lining up on a Josh Gordon, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, or even a Smith-Schuster, makes me not see where he really fits in the NFL.
Duck is one of those who I think will go snatch the chance. Go look at NFL rosters and there are more 5'9 corners than people think. I also don't see him guarding Julio and I also don' see him starting in the NFL but he could make a practice squad or the back end of a roster and play special teams.

I'm certainly pulling for all of our guys but we all know the chances of making it are hard. We have more NFL talent than we ever had for sure.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm

TomA415 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Eh I think a lot of people just say that because he's small. That's the hardest skill position in the league to play. Will see how he does in all the lateral movement tests but I'm not quite sure that's his strong suit.
I want to see him play the nickel because I was thinking if he has the change of direction and quickness to play there he could fit nicely as a nickel back on 3rd downs and play special teams.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is special teams play. A lot of players in the NFL make it because they can play special teams and even some who excel there make it over someone who may be a little better as a position player. If you are the 4th corner it is key you make it on special teams and that is why Duck will at least last a couple years because he can contribute there.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm
TomA415 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
I want to see him play the nickel because I was thinking if he has the change of direction and quickness to play there he could fit nicely as a nickel back on 3rd downs and play special teams.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is special teams play. A lot of players in the NFL make it because they can play special teams and even some who excel there make it over someone who may be a little better as a position player. If you are the 4th corner it is key you make it on special teams and that is why Duck will at least last a couple years because he can contribute there.
There are a lot of starters on special teams units now as well. I'm not sure that guys are signed anymore purely for special teams. That is where you can make your money if you're a tweener on the roster. However, I'm not sure that Duck get's that far. He's pretty quick straightline but he runs flat footed and doesn't really rotate very well. He probably runs a 4.6 which isn't ideal for a guy with no length.

He's probably also going to measure around 5-8 at the Combine or Senior Bowl if he gets an invite. 5-8 172 lbs or so would be my guess. So if he isn't running a 4.40 - 4.48 it's going to be tough. A scout would have to be incredibly high on him to get him into camp.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:17 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
TIGMA15 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am
My immense knowledge of NFL scouting & building a sub-par Madden roster tells me that he's a little small for NFL, no? I'm a big Duck fan though.
I'll bet money he plays in the NFL but getting drafted high and making it are two different things. Tae Hayes should get a shot and possibly make it but he is bigger than Duck. Stand near both of them and Hayes at least has some bulk. Duck is way too light right now. He needs to add some weight. Super thin frame right now. Tough as heck and fun to watch. He deserves to get drafted in 2020 as long as he stays healthy and has another good year.
I'd bet money that Hayes plays in the NFL. Much of Duck's "size" is his shoulder pads. Put on a standard size and he shrinks to the smallest guy on the field at any one time. The Honey Badger is probably only a little bigger but he is given his own position in a defense due to his speed and tenacity. Duck has the tenacity and all the intangibles you could want at any level, but he likely is just below the cut-off physically.

Another example of an undersized corner is Dante Jackson. Same story as the Honey Badger, elite speed and tenacity.
The Giants have a 5'9, 160 pound corner and there are some of Duck's size but there aren't many. I honestly think even with a big year Duck is a late round pick who makes it as a backup or a practice squad. He is a heck of a college player and great person from what people say. I hope that he overcomes the size by adding some weight and has a long career. He truly deserves it.
I agree with everything that you said. However, Marcus Cox deserved a shot in the NFL based on his character and output in college. He never got that opportunity. The NFL isn't about what you deserve but what you have the ability to earn. The 5'9 160 lb types are not only rare but incredibly improbable. You see Sproles success and longevity in the NFL, but name another player his stature who gets quality playing time, or has in the past 20 years.

Duck will get a shot to prove he belongs but ultimately I think his lack of length will hold him back. His arm measurements, speed, and agility drills will be the crux that determines how far he gets in the NFL. I think he will likely get into a camp and get to at least one preseason game. If he impresses in camp, he will move along in the process to getting to a PS or active roster. If not, he will be cut. But he isn't likely to be a hot commodity come draft day.
Dexter Coakley went out at 5-9 215 as a linebacker and got a little playing time at Dallas.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm
TomA415 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

There are a lot of starters on special teams units now as well. I'm not sure that guys are signed anymore purely for special teams. That is where you can make your money if you're a tweener on the roster. However, I'm not sure that Duck get's that far. He's pretty quick straightline but he runs flat footed and doesn't really rotate very well. He probably runs a 4.6 which isn't ideal for a guy with no length.

He's probably also going to measure around 5-8 at the Combine or Senior Bowl if he gets an invite. 5-8 172 lbs or so would be my guess. So if he isn't running a 4.40 - 4.48 it's going to be tough. A scout would have to be incredibly high on him to get him into camp.
I was thinking he would run a low 4.5 but if it turns out to be that slow he will definitely have a hard time sticking.

You do need to go pour through rosters and look at who is on special teams. Lots of starters but many players taken in rounds 6-7 and undrafted are brought in mainly for special teams. I like the idea of putting some starters out there but all of them can't be due to injury risk. You need guys who will fly down field and blow up the return game or players who can take a punt to the house, which Duck can do.

Either way, Duck will get a shot. He does need a nice 5+ plus picks or so to help since he is so small. It always look good for a small CB to have a lot of picks because if you show you can force turnovers then people will want to keep you around.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:17 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Dexter Coakley went out at 5-9 215 as a linebacker and got a little playing time at Dallas.
Size is not quite the big deal it us to be as long as you can run and make plays. Size is most important on the OL and DL in the NFL but in college it is not nearly as big of a deal. If Duck runs very well then he will make it but if he can't then he may just be a journeyman type NFL player for a year or two.

Coakley was the best defender we have ever had still to this day. We have studs now but Coakley and Stevens were to players who played together that at 22 years old could step in and start anywhere in the SBC, ACC, or SEC (except maybe Alabama).
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”