Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

DUCK

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: DUCK

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:17 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 am

I'd bet money that Hayes plays in the NFL. Much of Duck's "size" is his shoulder pads. Put on a standard size and he shrinks to the smallest guy on the field at any one time. The Honey Badger is probably only a little bigger but he is given his own position in a defense due to his speed and tenacity. Duck has the tenacity and all the intangibles you could want at any level, but he likely is just below the cut-off physically.

Another example of an undersized corner is Dante Jackson. Same story as the Honey Badger, elite speed and tenacity.
The Giants have a 5'9, 160 pound corner and there are some of Duck's size but there aren't many. I honestly think even with a big year Duck is a late round pick who makes it as a backup or a practice squad. He is a heck of a college player and great person from what people say. I hope that he overcomes the size by adding some weight and has a long career. He truly deserves it.
I agree with everything that you said. However, Marcus Cox deserved a shot in the NFL based on his character and output in college. He never got that opportunity. The NFL isn't about what you deserve but what you have the ability to earn. The 5'9 160 lb types are not only rare but incredibly improbable. You see Sproles success and longevity in the NFL, but name another player his stature who gets quality playing time, or has in the past 20 years.

Duck will get a shot to prove he belongs but ultimately I think his lack of length will hold him back. His arm measurements, speed, and agility drills will be the crux that determines how far he gets in the NFL. I think he will likely get into a camp and get to at least one preseason game. If he impresses in camp, he will move along in the process to getting to a PS or active roster. If not, he will be cut. But he isn't likely to be a hot commodity come draft day.
Dexter Coakley went out at 5-9 215 as a linebacker and got a little playing time at Dallas.
He was actually about 220 when he left App and he could absolutely fly. Size is not quite the big deal it us to be as long as you can run and make plays. If Duck runs very well then he will make it but if he can't then he may just be a journeyman type NFL player for a year or two.

Coakley was the best defender we have ever had still to this day. We have studs now but Coakley and Stevens were to players who played together that at 22 years old could step in and start anywhere in the SBC, ACC, or SEC (except maybe Alabama).
Actually he was 215. See that is one of those things that sometimes people know for a fact.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 am

Unfortunately, I just do not see Duck making a NFL roster. He has all of the things you want to see for an outside corner, except the size. If he was 6'0 200+, he is looking like a solid mid rounder. His size could work for the nickel, but it is still not ideal and he really does not have the skill set for that. I would love to see a fellow Butler guy make it, but the size/speed just isn't there for the NFL.

Looking at Hayes, he has better measurables, but he really struggled this year compared to the bar he set the seasons prior. Good thing with Hayes is that he worked out of the slot some and shows better hips which translates to playing the nickel. He will get a look based on resume, but may be UDFA.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am

The Giants have a 5'9, 160 pound corner and there are some of Duck's size but there aren't many. I honestly think even with a big year Duck is a late round pick who makes it as a backup or a practice squad. He is a heck of a college player and great person from what people say. I hope that he overcomes the size by adding some weight and has a long career. He truly deserves it.
I agree with everything that you said. However, Marcus Cox deserved a shot in the NFL based on his character and output in college. He never got that opportunity. The NFL isn't about what you deserve but what you have the ability to earn. The 5'9 160 lb types are not only rare but incredibly improbable. You see Sproles success and longevity in the NFL, but name another player his stature who gets quality playing time, or has in the past 20 years.

Duck will get a shot to prove he belongs but ultimately I think his lack of length will hold him back. His arm measurements, speed, and agility drills will be the crux that determines how far he gets in the NFL. I think he will likely get into a camp and get to at least one preseason game. If he impresses in camp, he will move along in the process to getting to a PS or active roster. If not, he will be cut. But he isn't likely to be a hot commodity come draft day.
Dexter Coakley went out at 5-9 215 as a linebacker and got a little playing time at Dallas.
He was actually about 220 when he left App and he could absolutely fly. Size is not quite the big deal it us to be as long as you can run and make plays. If Duck runs very well then he will make it but if he can't then he may just be a journeyman type NFL player for a year or two.

Coakley was the best defender we have ever had still to this day. We have studs now but Coakley and Stevens were to players who played together that at 22 years old could step in and start anywhere in the SBC, ACC, or SEC (except maybe Alabama).
Actually he was 215. See that is one of those things that sometimes people know for a fact.
You know what, I looked it up and he was indeed. 5'9 1/2, 215 pounds when he left App. He ran a high 4.4 40 with a 38 inch vertical, 10'6 broad jump, and did 21 reps for the NFL. Truly a test freak. He ended up bulking up to about 220-225 range while in the NFL though.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Love the Duck but I saw him get beat several times last year. I think he’s lived on a good bit of his freshman year success. Again, love the Duck but he’s not that great. Hoping for a phenomenal senior season!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

You know what, I looked it up and he was indeed. 5'9 1/2, 215 pounds when he left App. He ran a high 4.4 40 with a 38 inch vertical, 10'6 broad jump, and did 21 reps for the NFL. Truly a test freak. He ended up bulking up to about 220-225 range while in the NFL though.
A friend of mine was a scout for the Saints at the time and wanted him bad. He went up to Boone 3-4 times to watch him. I also have a very close relationship with someone who was a trainer during that time. Spent time with him and three other scouts from other teams and listened to them tell him Dexter would never make it. His only answer to them was good don't draft him. Dallas got him and we know what happened.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 pm

A Madden Turkey Bowl award winner
BLACK SATURDAY

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:11 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 pm
A Madden Turkey Bowl award winner
I used to love his official NFL profile pic....... goofy as H***
The Appalachian State

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 am

I had a class or 2 with Coakley. He was a freak of nature.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 am
I had a class or 2 with Coakley. He was a freak of nature.
Indeed, just remember seeing him on campus walking to classes, my freshman year was his senior.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

A friend of mine was a scout for the Saints at the time and wanted him bad. He went up to Boone 3-4 times to watch him. I also have a very close relationship with someone who was a trainer during that time. Spent time with him and three other scouts from other teams and listened to them tell him Dexter would never make it. His only answer to them was good don't draft him. Dallas got him and we know what happened.
They all thought he was too small coming from a small school and would have to be a safety. I remember the media talk back then and saw articles where some thought he went too high in the 3rd round. I always thought he was too low. He is still to this day the best player I have ever seen in an App uniform.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Sounds like UNC went out and got their own Duck for cornerback in 19. We’ll be lining up Duck vs. Duck.

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/north-caro ... nouncement

AAPP1

Unread post by AAPP1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Well hell

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm

So did the other thread get deleted? If so I’m glad to be honest.
YNWA

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:53 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm
So did the other thread get deleted? If so I’m glad to be honest.
Moved them all to the Lodge

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”