Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Press Conference

Lowcountry App
School: Appalachian State

Re: Press Conference

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Wow, I’m very impressed. One of the first things I noticed was his public speaking ability. Very smooth and no stumbling or searching for words. I’m anxious to see who the defensive coordinator will be. Don’t want to screw that up. Can’t wait for next year.

Now for you WWE fans...Who wants to walk with Eliah! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Lowcountry App wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 pm
Wow, I’m very impressed. One of the first things I noticed was his public speaking ability. Very smooth and no stumbling or searching for words. I’m anxious to see who the defensive coordinator will be. Don’t want to screw that up. Can’t wait for next year.

Now for you WWE fans...Who wants to walk with Eliah! Sorry, couldn’t resist.
hahahahaha! Epic!

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Just watched and I thought it was a great press conference. Looking forward to next season!

Beat ETSU!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:30 pm
I met coach Drink on Friday night in NOLA and spent about 10 minutes 1 on 1 with him and then spoke to him again after the game. I also watched the presser on FB live.

We have the right guy.
I'm with you. I firmly believe he will improve the offense. I expect the offense to be harder to gameplan against and to see us be more aggressive on teams when are are up just 10-17 points. I love the approach. ETSU is not joke next year. They return a lot of people and we have to beat them first. We can't achieve the major goals with even one loss. 2019 has to almost be perfect for us to do what we want and I think Drink can get it done.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:57 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am
"This is not a stepping stone job. This is a job coaching a Top 25 program."

That sums it up nicely.
If he moves on in two years, it's a stepping stone despite being a Top 25 Program. Time will tell.

Here's to hoping App doesn't turn in to the new Arkansas State where they had Freeze, Harsin, and Malzahn in three consecutive seasons then got stuck with Blake Anderson. Anderson has done a good job building a foundation of success and continuity at stAte which they previously lacked at the FBS level but he is also holding them back.

Comments on Anderson aside (which have been hashed over already), Ark State just had bad luck really...they were aggressive with their hires going after 3 guys that had strong ties to programs with a high profile. Then, all 3 of those programs immediately needed a coach, and their fanbases wanted these guys specifically.

In an odd way, I think we're ok in that Drink doesn't have a direct tie to a program like that. He was only at State briefly, and he went to Arkansas Tech. Because of that - even if he goes 12-0 next year, I don't think we're in trouble. If he does what Satt did, he'll be around at least as long as him.

He seems to have the mettle for the task - and I hope we found a hidden gem.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:19 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm
Maybe Nate Woody returns and we roll.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... P/amp.html

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:02 am

Great press conference. The guy is all in. If he coaches as well as he speaks, next season we may be busy on New Year’s Day.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am

Apptiger wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:10 pm
Finally got to watch the press conference. Must say I'm impressed. Impressed with DG as well. Drink kept repeating how many people wanted to coach here. That leads me to believe he has some folks already in mind. I hope he will retain enough of the staff to keep the culture intact or at least to lessen the pain of change.

Something else to think about regarding current staff, Scott will probably take everyone he wants. Those he leaves behind may be for reasons we don't or can't understand. Drink may have a better fit in mind, not want them for the same reasons or Scott or Moore may have filled him in on background.

At any rate, still looks like a great hire. Never thought I say this but......If we can't keep Scott glad to get E.D.! (so far and for now)
Glad to get ED? I’d prefer Drink, being an older dude. How about we refer to him as ED if the team underperforms, falls flat, or doesn’t rise to the occasion?

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 am

I am not seeing where Woody would come back. He went to GT for more money. Unless he can’t find a job at the level he is at now which would be highly unlikely.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am

He supposedly already accepted at Army.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 am

appgrad wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 pm
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

That sums it up nicely.
If he moves on in two years, it's a stepping stone despite being a Top 25 Program. Time will tell.

Here's to hoping App doesn't turn in to the new Arkansas State where they had Freeze, Harsin, and Malzahn in three consecutive seasons then got stuck with Blake Anderson. Anderson has done a good job building a foundation of success and continuity at stAte which they previously lacked at the FBS level but he is also holding them back.

Comments on Anderson aside (which have been hashed over already), Ark State just had bad luck really...they were aggressive with their hires going after 3 guys that had strong ties to programs with a high profile. Then, all 3 of those programs immediately needed a coach, and their fanbases wanted these guys specifically.

In an odd way, I think we're ok in that Drink doesn't have a direct tie to a program like that. He was only at State briefly, and he went to Arkansas Tech. Because of that - even if he goes 12-0 next year, I don't think we're in trouble. If he does what Satt did, he'll be around at least as long as him.

If he approaches this hire as a destination and not a place to gas up the car he'll probably be able to stay for as long as he wants. From the press conference it sounds as if this is beyond his wildest expectations of where he thought life would bring him, and maybe with that attitude, he won't be so focused on moving on to an eventual P5 gig (seeing how apparently his original intent was to be a high school coach). We'll see. As has been said before, we are a rare program which only had what? Three coaches in the last 30 years or something? As an outsider maybe he'll do like all of us did and fall in love with the school and the area and just take root.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 am
appgrad wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

That sums it up nicely.

If he approaches this hire as a destination and not a place to gas up the car he'll probably be able to stay for as long as he wants. From the press conference it sounds as if this is beyond his wildest expectations of where he thought life would bring him, and maybe with that attitude, he won't be so focused on moving on to an eventual P5 gig (seeing how apparently his original intent was to be a high school coach). We'll see. As has been said before, we are a rare program which only had what? Three coaches in the last 30 years or something? As an outsider maybe he'll do like all of us did and fall in love with the school and the area and just take root.
I enjoy the sentiment, but it isn't realistic. I thought Satterfield surely would stick around because he had taken root in the area. Come to find out from some reporting, they had said they would take the first offer that came their way. It's not really the nature of college football so much as it is the nature of ones ego and taking advantage of your earning potential.

If Drink goes 12-0 in the next two years, he will likely be gone to a P5 as well. However, I don't believe he would do like Willie Fritz and jump to an AAC school from App. The good thing for App State is that the program is on equal footing with most ever AAC school at any given time, thus negating the need to make a jump from G5 to G5.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

That sums it up nicely.

I enjoy the sentiment, but it isn't realistic. I thought Satterfield surely would stick around because he had taken root in the area. Come to find out from some reporting, they had said they would take the first offer that came their way. It's not really the nature of college football so much as it is the nature of ones ego and taking advantage of your earning potential.

If Drink goes 12-0 in the next two years, he will likely be gone to a P5 as well. However, I don't believe he would do like Willie Fritz and jump to an AAC school from App. The good thing for App State is that the program is on equal footing with most ever AAC school at any given time, thus negating the need to make a jump from G5 to G5.
Except that the AAC schools pay significantly more...

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

I really don't understand why so many are agonizing over this whole "stepping stone program" vs. "destination program" thing. Regardless of which concept a coach MIGHT have in the back of his head, the goal is to built the team and win. If he does that, almost ANY successful young coach is going to entertain offers when they come. To believe otherwise is naïve. If he doesn't build the program and win, chances are we will wind up terminating the relationship ourselves. The next couple of years (at the least) look exactly the same regardless of his motivation.

Coach Drink's age and relative inexperience might actually play in our favor, especially when combined with App's success this year. He won't wow people with a major turn around because he's inheriting a program at a high point. P5 programs will want to see him sustain the success over time before offering the big bucks. I think we'll get a few good years out of Coach Drink. I don't think we are in for the bouncing around that GS has done. I am a big Satterfield fan and have been since his playing days. I truly appreciate what he has done for our alma mater and wish him well. That said, I think we are going to be fine moving into the Drink era. Satterfield has left the cupboards well stocked!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm
I really don't understand why so many are agonizing over this whole "stepping stone program" vs. "destination program" thing. Regardless of which concept a coach MIGHT have in the back of his head, the goal is to built the team and win. If he does that, almost ANY successful young coach is going to entertain offers when they come. To believe otherwise is naïve. If he doesn't build the program and win, chances are we will wind up terminating the relationship ourselves. The next couple of years (at the least) look exactly the same regardless of his motivation.

Coach Drink's age and relative inexperience might actually play in our favor, especially when combined with App's success this year. He won't wow people with a major turn around because he's inheriting a program at a high point. P5 programs will want to see him sustain the success over time before offering the big bucks. I think we'll get a few good years out of Coach Drink. I don't think we are in for the bouncing around that GS has done. I am a big Satterfield fan and have been since his playing days. I truly appreciate what he has done for our alma mater and wish him well. That said, I think we are going to be fine moving into the Drink era. Satterfield has left the cupboards well stocked!
I think he will be here 4-5 years for sure unless he comes in and goes undefeated for two straight years and knocks off say 3-4 P5 programs in 2 years. If he were to do that and win a NY6 bowl then I could see it. If he just has same record as Satt then yeah I'm with you it may take him 4-5 years before those offers come.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
appgrad wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Except that the AAC schools pay significantly more...
Yes, AAC schools pay more; however, we have now shown that you can land a P5 HC position from here. A coach, if offered by an AAC school would have to weigh the opportunity cost of taking the AAC position vs waiting an additional year or two and having a P5 position open up. Quite honestly I think that is what happened with Satt and Cincinnati.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 pm

The value of the "you can land a P5 coaching job from here" position will be greatly diminished if Satterfield struggles at Louisville. I don't expect App fans to run out and buy Cardinal gear, but I would hope that folks want to see Satterfield succeed. It continues to benefit us all.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Stu Holt is gone per Dan Wolken, he will join Coach Satterfield at Louisville. Thanks for all you did for App State!

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 pm

If that is all we lose then we would be lucky.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am
Apptiger wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:10 pm
Finally got to watch the press conference. Must say I'm impressed. Impressed with DG as well. Drink kept repeating how many people wanted to coach here. That leads me to believe he has some folks already in mind. I hope he will retain enough of the staff to keep the culture intact or at least to lessen the pain of change.

Something else to think about regarding current staff, Scott will probably take everyone he wants. Those he leaves behind may be for reasons we don't or can't understand. Drink may have a better fit in mind, not want them for the same reasons or Scott or Moore may have filled him in on background.

At any rate, still looks like a great hire. Never thought I say this but......If we can't keep Scott glad to get E.D.! (so far and for now)
Glad to get ED? I’d prefer Drink, being an older dude. How about we refer to him as ED if the team underperforms, falls flat, or doesn’t rise to the occasion?
Oh it is Drink, no doubt. The ED was a joke, glad someone picked up on it. Figures it would be another old dude like me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”