Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Draft and FA prospects

stafford
School: Appalachian State

Draft and FA prospects

Unread post by stafford » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Out of the current senior class, who has a real shot at the next level?

TomA415

Re: Draft and FA prospects

Unread post by TomA415 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Well considering there were only four starting seniors (not including Jalin), not many. I could see Myquon maybe being a 6th/7th round pick. But more than likely I imagine Him, Flory, and maybe even Tae get a few UDFA looks.

As far as Jalin goes, I think coming in to this year he was probably in the 3/4 range. With his injury its really going to depend on whether he can play in the senior bowl and do well at the combine. I'm hoping he still gets drafted but his injury was an ugly one.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm assuming somebody up on the mountain is continuing to support Jalin and his quest to the NFL?!?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:53 pm

stafford wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm
Out of the current senior class, who has a real shot at the next level?
RB Jalin Moore- probably a 5th or 6th round pick prior to his injury. If he is 100% and can stay healthy in pre-draft process there is no reason to believe he won't go in the 150-200 range.

CB Tae Hayes is our second best for sure. I would think if he tests well at pro day someone may take him in the 200-250 range but if not he would be a good free agent who makes a practice squad at least.

DT Stout is a really good player and fun to watch but no shot he gets drafted. They will think he is too small to draft but should get a contract or tryout and if he gets the right chance maybe he makes a practice squad.

I would think LB Anthony Flory gets a contract or tryout and maybe Dominique Heath gets a shot since he can really run. I would be surprised if all 5 don't get at least a tryout.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:55 pm

TomA415 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm
Well considering there were only four starting seniors (not including Jalin), not many. I could see Myquon maybe being a 6th/7th round pick. But more than likely I imagine Him, Flory, and maybe even Tae get a few UDFA looks.

As far as Jalin goes, I think coming in to this year he was probably in the 3/4 range. With his injury its really going to depend on whether he can play in the senior bowl and do well at the combine. I'm hoping he still gets drafted but his injury was an ugly one.
Way too many good RBs. I would have been shocked if Jalin ever went in the 3rd or 4th round. He is a very good one but the draft is a numbers game. Usually about 20 are drafted (20 were in 2018) and about 8 of them were juniors from what I could find online. I would think Jalin is sitting in the 5-6 range.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Before the injury Jalin was squatting 650, he was going to be combine gold with numbers on the field to back it up. I have no doubt he was a 4th round pick or higher.

I think Stout will be a FA and surprise some folks.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:35 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:55 pm
TomA415 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Way too many good RBs. I would have been shocked if Jalin ever went in the 3rd or 4th round. He is a very good one but the draft is a numbers game. Usually about 20 are drafted (20 were in 2018) and about 8 of them were juniors from what I could find online. I would think Jalin is sitting in the 5-6 range.
Agreed, and thats if he's healthy and can show he's almost/at full strength come combine time. Ability wise he's a mid round guy for sure. But that injury really set him back.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:05 pm
Before the injury Jalin was squatting 650, he was going to be combine gold with numbers on the field to back it up. I have no doubt he was a 4th round pick or higher.

I think Stout will be a FA and surprise some folks.
Stout is the intriguing one because he has the speed and strength but he is so small. If he can get up to 290 or more then I could see him making it for a little bit. Stout is one heck of a player. If he were 6'3 310 it would be scary how good he could be. Stout was 6'0 275 prior to the season.

Flory is one who is a lot smaller than he is listed. I bet he measures around 6'0 at pro day. He is not that tall. Hayes would be something if he were a little bigger. He is just 5'9 180-185 range from what I heard from S&C folks.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 am

Who is right and honest? Nobody is playing any games with numbers.
Colleges just measure in gear and combine without. Cleats, pads and helmets add height and weight, but that is how you play....
maybe they should run the 40, test vertical, shuttle, etc in full gear.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am

For what it is worth, ESPN's Todd McShay has Jalin as the #7 running back in his projected rankings by position that was put up today.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insid ... n-rankings

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Contrary to much of the commentary which I respect.....If Jalin makes a solid recovery and performs well at the combine I think he will shock alot of people and go in the draft higher than thought....He is an NFL type runner with some work.

I also think someone might take a chance on Tae Hayes in the draft as well.....Tae really picked it up this year tremendously and I think scouts may see he hasn't reached his potential.
KICK ASS!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:54 pm
Contrary to much of the commentary which I respect.....If Jalin makes a solid recovery and performs well at the combine I think he will shock alot of people and go in the draft higher than thought....He is an NFL type runner with some work.

I also think someone might take a chance on Tae Hayes in the draft as well.....Tae really picked it up this year tremendously and I think scouts may see he hasn't reached his potential.
He is a NFL type runner unlike Marcus Cox was but he will need to test well and there is one other thing that must go well for him. The medical exams. If he does not do well in that then he probably won't even get drafted. Hopefully he is 100% and has a strong postseason because I think he is a top 100 talent but I had talked to a couple people on staff and they said that Jalin was considered a 4-6 pick this year by the scouts who came in.

I don't put much stock in the media like McShay and them simply because they don't make the picks and you can tell they have limited NFL contacts because there are always players taken in the mid rounds and late rounds who are not among the 1200 or so listed on ESPN.com every year.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:55 am

CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:54 pm

I agree with you on all of this. As long as Jalin recovers well from his ankle injury, he is absolutely NFL caliber.

As far as Hayes, he is on the small end, but decent measurables for his position. His body of work is great, but he did struggle this year in coverage compared to years prior. His hip movement is decent enough for him to get a look at Nickel.

Flory had a monster season and while a little undersized, he has some good measurables to translate to the NFL.

Stout is undersized for his position, but could get some looks for size /speed combination as an interior lineman on passing downs or OLB in a 3-4. He would probably be an UDFA.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”