Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:19 pm
I know “unknown” and he is very much in the know but I’ll leave it at that. Ivey and Jones are app to the core and if we don’t keep that app family tradition, when drink eventually moves on, who would fill that transition? It will hurt recruiting too. Satt left...fine but these guys love app and maybe wanted a little more money but if you don’t pay them and offer extended contracts, and then you bring in new staff that will demand more money, that’s a slap in the face of these coaches that have played or worked for the black and gold for decades
Satt wants the coaches at Lousyville. he's the boss and he knows what he's working with. Deeper pockets and more likelyhood of lasting more that a season or 2. Not Drink's fault.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm

unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 pm
StorminASU wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:18 pm
"Strong push" is not accurate. Sorry, but that just isn't true
Then why don’t you expand just a bit further? Your comments really do nothing but divide further. Congrats.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:30 pm

We can't compete financially . It's just not there.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I know “unknown” and he is very much in the know but I’ll leave it at that. Ivey and Jones are app to the core and if we don’t keep that app family tradition, when drink eventually moves on, who would fill that transition? It will hurt recruiting too. Satt left...fine but these guys love app and maybe wanted a little more money but if you don’t pay them and offer extended contracts, and then you bring in new staff that will demand more money, that’s a slap in the face of these coaches that have played or worked for the black and gold for decades
Like Drink said on Monday, the time to pat ourselves on the back is over. He is getting ready for 2019 and We need to be ready to propel this thing even further.

PS- It was great meeting you after the game.
The Appalachian State

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:30 pm
We can't compete financially . It's just not there.
Agree, nor should we ever try to get into a bidding war with a P5. Even if we win we lose.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 pm

I fully appreciate their contributions and dedication, and I'm glad they wanted to stay. I don't know what kind of effort we made to keep them. What I do know is that you can't serve two masters. I'm not saying the coaches themselves would have created division amongst the players, but I can almost guarantee there would have been some serious division in the locker room with guys being loyal to coaches from the previous regime. Unfortunately, it's probably for the best that they're moving on.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:33 pm

You can bring one of those guys back from Louisville with more experience, broadened horizons, and ultimately a changed perspective. Satterfield left and everyone wondered who would take over for Moore when his retirement came.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm
unknown wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
None of your predictions throughout this entire coaching shit has been true.
You may want to go back and check that
Don't recall you mentioning Drink as being on the radar. And whether or not Ivey and Jones were pursued that hard is a non-issue and describing it as such does nothing but divide people.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
unknown wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
Then why don’t you expand just a bit further? Your comments really do nothing but divide further. Congrats.
I'm not trying to divide anything. I'm App THROUGH AND THROUGH. I just don't think everything, all of the time is perfect. I like accuracy but you are right and I can see that this subject is very touchy. I will refrain from saying anything that may be construed as negative. My apologies!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm

It really sounds like they were trying to leverage their offer with UL to get more money here. Maybe someone called their bluff.
If Satterfield were still here would they have expected or been able to get raises?
If no, why expect them now?
If yes, realistically, how much could the expect? 5-10k maybe? would that have kept them here now? Did Drink Offer this? I don’t know.
Did they expect us to match UL offer? Obviously we can’t do that as they can probably nearly double or more their current salary.
I will miss those guys and really appreciate all their contributions, and maybe they will be back one day, but I can’t really see how we can get mad or blame the new guy about this
Last edited by The Rock on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm

unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm not trying to divide anything. I'm App THROUGH AND THROUGH. I just don't think everything, all of the time is perfect. I like accuracy but you are right and I can see that this subject is very touchy. I will refrain from saying anything that may be construed as negative. My apologies!
Too late

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:40 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm
unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm
unknown wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
None of your predictions throughout this entire coaching shit has been true.
You may want to go back and check that
Don't recall you mentioning Drink as being on the radar. And whether or not Ivey and Jones were pursued that hard is a non-issue and describing it as such does nothing but divide people.
That's because I did not know his name. I was told it was a name that was completely off the radar and out of left field. There were VERY few people that knew the name. App kept that CIA tight.

Again, sorry to ruffle feathers. Won't do that anymore!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:41 pm

We are getting a little snarky here. We are on the same team.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I do wonder, if you're a Louisville fan are you skeptical at all of the staff Satterfield is bringing in? Brown and Sirignano seemed like obvious slam dunk additions. But I'm a bit surprised Satterfield is turning to basically his entire App staff to fill his staff at Louisville. I mean he's filling his staff with guys that have very little to no P5 experience. I'm not even mad I'm just more surprised at just how heavily Satterfield is relying on his App guys. This is probably completely normal and I just never realized it?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I do wonder, if you're a Louisville fan are you skeptical at all of the staff Satterfield is bringing in? Brown and Sirignano seemed like obvious slam dunk additions. But I'm a bit surprised Satterfield is turning to basically his entire App staff to fill his staff at Louisville. I mean he's filling his staff with guys that have very little to no P5 experience. I'm not even mad I'm just more surprised at just how heavily Satterfield is relying on his App guys. This is probably completely normal and I just never realized it?
I agree, and feel the same way about Houston at ECU. He has taken his whole crew with him from FCS to an AAC conference. You surround yourself by people you are familiar with and trust, but you would think there would be better candidates with more experience at that level

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Seems like I remember in the Satt presser at UL him saying that "if you can coach football, you can coach football." Meaning it doesn't matter what level, but I suspect they may learn some hard lessons along the way. Houston brought all of his guys to ECU apparently...not sure what normally happens.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
It seems like it's usually about half that goes with a coach that gets a new job. Then they sometimes keep one or two and then the rest are new.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Seems like I remember in the Satt presser at UL him saying that "if you can coach football, you can coach football." Meaning it doesn't matter what level, but I suspect they may learn some hard lessons along the way. Houston brought all of his guys to ECU apparently...not sure what normally happens.
This. I have no doubt that Satt and his staff can coach and now they theoretically will have a higher caliber of talent to work with at UL. I think the biggest challenge along the way for them will be training their eyes to identify who is really a P5 talent vs who isn't.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Rick83 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
If you are a good line coach at App you can do the same job at Louisville. To me the key is being able to recruit. Too many coaches get tagged with the title of “genius “. These guys aren’t geniuses.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Rick83 wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
If you are a good line coach at App you can do the same job at Louisville. To me the key is being able to recruit. Too many coaches get tagged with the title of “genius “. These guys aren’t geniuses.
^^^^^^ This right here. Recruiting is the key

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”