Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I do wonder, if you're a Louisville fan are you skeptical at all of the staff Satterfield is bringing in? Brown and Sirignano seemed like obvious slam dunk additions. But I'm a bit surprised Satterfield is turning to basically his entire App staff to fill his staff at Louisville. I mean he's filling his staff with guys that have very little to no P5 experience. I'm not even mad I'm just more surprised at just how heavily Satterfield is relying on his App guys. This is probably completely normal and I just never realized it?
Seems like I remember in the Satt presser at UL him saying that "if you can coach football, you can coach football." Meaning it doesn't matter what level, but I suspect they may learn some hard lessons along the way. Houston brought all of his guys to ECU apparently...not sure what normally happens.
If you are a good line coach at App you can do the same job at Louisville. To me the key is being able to recruit. Too many coaches get tagged with the title of “genius “. These guys aren’t geniuses.
Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein. - Joe Theismann

In his defense, Norman Einstein was the valedictorian at Theismann's high school. Everyone always thought he meant to say Albert Einstein, but he really meant to say Norman.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm

unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I do wonder, if you're a Louisville fan are you skeptical at all of the staff Satterfield is bringing in? Brown and Sirignano seemed like obvious slam dunk additions. But I'm a bit surprised Satterfield is turning to basically his entire App staff to fill his staff at Louisville. I mean he's filling his staff with guys that have very little to no P5 experience. I'm not even mad I'm just more surprised at just how heavily Satterfield is relying on his App guys. This is probably completely normal and I just never realized it?
Seems like I remember in the Satt presser at UL him saying that "if you can coach football, you can coach football." Meaning it doesn't matter what level, but I suspect they may learn some hard lessons along the way. Houston brought all of his guys to ECU apparently...not sure what normally happens.
If you are a good line coach at App you can do the same job at Louisville. To me the key is being able to recruit. Too many coaches get tagged with the title of “genius “. These guys aren’t geniuses.
^^^^^^ This right here. Recruiting is the key
It will be interesting to see what happens there. I'm still a fan of Satt, appreciate what he's done for us and wish him well. But sometimes the transition from the underdog to the Big dog isn't as smooth as most would think. His career has centered around taking kids that have chips on their shoulders and coaching them up. Now He'll be recruiting that top tier talent. Will the message he sends be received as well? Who knows.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Football Chick
School: Tennessee

Unread post by Football Chick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:22 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm
It really sounds like they were trying to leverage their offer with UL to get more money here. Maybe someone called their bluff.
If Satterfield were still here would they have expected or been able to get raises?
If no, why expect them now?
If yes, realistically, how much could the expect? 5-10k maybe? would that have kept them here now? Did Drink Offer this? I don’t know.
Did they expect us to match UL offer? Obviously we can’t do that as they can probably nearly double or more their current salary.
I will miss those guys and really appreciate all their contributions, and maybe they will be back one day, but I can’t really see how we can get mad or blame the new guy about this
They wanted a multi year contract and would have stayed even with a demotion and same salary. Their expectations weren't unreasonable. The Administration was not open to this period! This is a fact.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Can’t imagine FSU will be down for long, Clemson, a resurgent Top 25 Syracuse, solid top 25 NCSU, and pesky Wake; Satt grabbed the cash and opportunity, he’s got a tough road ahead of him. Yes there were the Lamar years, but not necessarily a winning football culture at a basketball school. Maybe he will be back after Drink takes us to the access bowl and gets poached.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm

I've coached high school kids for 40 years. Coaching kids that have a chip on their shoulder is completely different than coaching kids that have been atbthevfrontnofvthe line most of their playing days. Now, if you get a kid that sports a chip on his shoulder and he is a top of the line player/athlete - you got a kid that is gonna win any situation.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm

After the press conference, I came away thinking that Clark was the guy Drink was more enamored with keeping around. I think the next guy behind Drink with a strong hand on the team will be the DC, and it sounds like Drink is going to take his time finding the right guy to compliment his vision.

The “Ivey” chant and Stout comment probably made things a little clearer for Drink on what he should do, whether he wanted to or not. I’m guessing he had some great probing questions for the staff yesterday to see where their loyalties lie.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:44 pm

unknown wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 pm
StorminASU wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:18 pm
"Strong push" is not accurate. Sorry, but that just isn't true
Then why don’t you expand just a bit further? Your comments really do nothing but divide further. Congrats.
I'm not trying to divide anything. I'm App THROUGH AND THROUGH. I just don't think everything, all of the time is perfect. I like accuracy but you are right and I can see that this subject is very touchy. I will refrain from saying anything that may be construed as negative. My apologies!
I don't believe anyone doubts you are an App person. However, in tumultuous times, it's best to leave the divisive comments behind a pay wall. Especially if recruits visit this page at all.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm
After the press conference, I came away thinking that Clark was the guy Drink was more enamored with keeping around. I think the next guy behind Drink with a strong hand on the team will be the DC, and it sounds like Drink is going to take his time finding the right guy to compliment his vision.

The “Ivey” chant and Stout comment probably made things a little clearer for Drink on what he should do, whether he wanted to or not. I’m guessing he had some great probing questions for the staff yesterday to see where their loyalties lie.
Clark appeared ready to take a more active roll in the game day operations of the offense. The offensive line and wide receivers were specifically mentioned by Drink on more than one occassion in his presser as well. I am hopeful that he doesn't allow his offensive mindset to be blind to how special this defense has been for going on three seasons now. The foundation is laid for the group to have sustained success through coaching changes in the event guys from the same tree are retained.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:49 pm

unknown wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
unknown wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 pm
StorminASU wrote:
"Strong push" is not accurate. Sorry, but that just isn't true
Then why don’t you expand just a bit further? Your comments really do nothing but divide further. Congrats.
I'm not trying to divide anything. I'm App THROUGH AND THROUGH. I just don't think everything, all of the time is perfect. I like accuracy but you are right and I can see that this subject is very touchy. I will refrain from saying anything that may be construed as negative. My apologies!
No if something negative needs to be said go right ahead. I just don’t think it’s productive to refute what a national guy like Thamel says with something as simple as “not true” or whatever without expanding just a tiny bit. I just think that tends to draw sides. But don’t let me tell you how to do your posting lol, i have found it a little helpful.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:41 pm
We are getting a little snarky here. We are on the same team.
Surely someone with the name Stonewall would've read "A Team of Rivals". Great ideas come out of pushback, not that any of that matters because decisions, as far as 78% of members here know, are not made in the Cabin of Yosef.

Football Chick
School: Tennessee

Unread post by Football Chick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:19 pm

StorminASU wrote:
This is totally inaccurate. App Administration did not make a strong push to keep Jones and Ivey. They wanted a multi year contract. Would have stayed with similar pay and even a demotion. This is a fact.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:22 pm
The Rock wrote:
It really sounds like they were trying to leverage their offer with UL to get more money here. Maybe someone called their bluff.
If Satterfield were still here would they have expected or been able to get raises?
If no, why expect them now?
If yes, realistically, how much could the expect? 5-10k maybe? would that have kept them here now? Did Drink Offer this? I don’t know.
Did they expect us to match UL offer? Obviously we can’t do that as they can probably nearly double or more their current salary.
I will miss those guys and really appreciate all their contributions, and maybe they will be back one day, but I can’t really see how we can get mad or blame the new guy about this
They wanted a multi year contract and would have stayed even with a demotion and same salary. Their expectations weren't unreasonable. The Administration was not open to this period! This is a fact.
Thank you "join date of Dec. 19th" person, who lists Tennessee as their school

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:19 pm
StorminASU wrote:
This is totally inaccurate. App Administration did not make a strong push to keep Jones and Ivey. They wanted a multi year contract. Would have stayed with similar pay and even a demotion. This is a fact.
Trust this one guys, they joined the MMB just over 6 hours ago

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Football Chick wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
Oh boy! Another troll that pops up during a coach search, and tries to sow seeds of discord.
I’m sure you have an “inside” source so close you cannot diclose who it is, right?

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Is that you Mrs Jones?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Football Chick wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
I’m not saying you are wrong, but they absolutely wanted more money, albeit not a ton as we did not have to match ULs offer. I know we did have interest in keeping them, but as I pointed out in previous posts, both Ivey and Jones are big Satt guys and after the events of the last two weeks, it was becoming clear that keeping certain staff members could be counterproductive for Drink when implementing his vision.

Obviously you have some closer knowledge of the situation than most, but I did too and only post what things I have connected the dots on or verified with little doubt. Everything else I clarify by saying “I think”. Unless you are related to DG, Drink, Ivey or Jones, it is all hearsay. Trust me, I’ve heard certain things one minute, just to be told the opposite minutes later (from extremely reliable folks).
The Appalachian State

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:32 pm

It seems that whoever Satt wants from the old staff in Louisville is going to end up there. Doesn't really matter why (more money in Louisville, didn't get all of what they wanted here etc...), fact is these guys are leaving. Oh well, thanks for your time at APP, best of luck in Louisville. Now, I am ready to stop hearing about who is leaving and start hearing about who is going to be on staff for us. When do we hear about some hires?

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:32 pm
It seems that whoever Satt wants from the old staff in Louisville is going to end up there. Doesn't really matter why (more money in Louisville, didn't get all of what they wanted here etc...), fact is these guys are leaving. Oh well, thanks for your time at APP, best of luck in Louisville. Now, I am ready to stop hearing about who is leaving and start hearing about who is going to be on staff for us. When do we hear about some hires?
Right on!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 pm

I assure you that Satt didnt take Jones and Ivey because DG And Drinkwitz decided to do what ever they did. he took them because he wanted them.

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm
Football Chick wrote:
StorminASU wrote:
I’m not saying you are wrong, but they absolutely wanted more money, albeit not a ton as we did not have to match ULs offer. I know we did have interest in keeping them, but as I pointed out in previous posts, both Ivey and Jones are big Satt guys and after the events of the last two weeks, it was becoming clear that keeping certain staff members could be counterproductive for Drink when implementing his vision.

Obviously you have some closer knowledge of the situation than most, but I did too and only post what things I have connected the dots on or verified with little doubt. Everything else I clarify by saying “I think”. Unless you are related to DG, Drink, Ivey or Jones, it is all hearsay. Trust me, I’ve heard certain things one minute, just to be told the opposite minutes later (from extremely reliable folks).
They were OK with a small bump in salary. The bigger issue is they wanted a 3 yr contract. App said no. The new coach has every right to want to bring in his own guys. Nothing wrong with that but Ivey and Jones were not chasing a big payday at Louisville. They are App guys all the way and wanted to be here if they were really wanted here. That's really all there is to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”