Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

asu7
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:57 am

The longer we go without a DC the more it looks like Roof.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 am

I have no intel but the fact that nothing has been said about Cardwell so far I think means he’s not being kept. Hope I’m wrong but if he was being retained, why keep so quiet about it for over a week?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 am
I have no intel but the fact that nothing has been said about Cardwell so far I think means he’s not being kept. Hope I’m wrong but if he was being retained, why keep so quiet about it for over a week?
And what position would he coach since it’s not TEs? Hate it, but I don’t see him staying

Lenoir App Fan

Unread post by Lenoir App Fan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 am

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:57 am
OH Please No!!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 am

asu7 wrote:
No one has had a scoop yet on any of the outside hires from the HC down. So I'm of the belief that if we hear it here first it must be wrong.

Also, I don't see Roof being hired as the next DC. Clark is the oldest coach on the new staff so far and all the outside hires are fairly young. What connects Roof to App other than He and Drink both coached at NC State for 1 season together? Why would we need to wait to announce his hiring as he's not the current DC at NC State (he's their Assoc. HC/Safeties coach)? Although he's listed as the Co-Defensive Coordinator, we all know he's not the one calling plays.

Here's where my opinion differs from everyone else. I don't think Roof is a bad coach. I don't see him as our next DC, and I'm not advocating for his hire, but my position stands that he's not a bad DC. He had success at Georgia Tech (1st time), Duke, Minnesota and Auburn. He stumbled the second time around at Ga Tech as he didn't seem to adjust quickly enough to the proliferation of the Spread offenses and fell behind. But he also is a 4-3 guy and that's not what we have recruited to and not the direction we're headed according to Drink's press conference or his statements on signing day.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:35 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:27 am
Since Collins has already let the entire GT staff go, I don't think that there would be a reason to wait to announce until after a bowl game if the hire was coming from that staff.
Agreed. With Drink being at Auburn and Boise.... check the D coaches he worked with there.
What is Gene Chizik up to these days?
Link coached under Chizik, right? I'm not for Chizik, but it would be funny to see IC lose their mind if we hired him when they wanted him to come along with Mack.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 am

97APP wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 am
asu7 wrote:
No one has had a scoop yet on any of the outside hires from the HC down. So I'm of the belief that if we hear it here first it must be wrong.

Also, I don't see Roof being hired as the next DC. Clark is the oldest coach on the new staff so far and all the outside hires are fairly young. What connects Roof to App other than He and Drink both coached at NC State for 1 season together? Why would we need to wait to announce his hiring as he's not the current DC at NC State (he's their Assoc. HC/Safeties coach)? Although he's listed as the Co-Defensive Coordinator, we all know he's not the one calling plays.

Here's where my opinion differs from everyone else. I don't think Roof is a bad coach. I don't see him as our next DC, and I'm not advocating for his hire, but my position stands that he's not a bad DC. He had success at Georgia Tech (1st time), Duke, Minnesota and Auburn. He stumbled the second time around at Ga Tech as he didn't seem to adjust quickly enough to the proliferation of the Spread offenses and fell behind. But he also is a 4-3 guy and that's not what we have recruited to and not the direction we're headed according to Drink's press conference or his statements on signing day.
I get what you're saying about Roof and his early career, but the second half of the statement gives me pause. He didn't adjust to spread offenses quick enough? The history of the Belt is offense. App has been so dominant because of its defense shutting those offenses down. For years, the teams that won (for the most part) outscored everyone, defense be damned. If we take a step or more back on defense, the conference suddenly becomes that much harder to win.

I have no opinion on Roof. If Drink and Gillen think he's the guy, then so be it. I personally believe that it will probably be someone else, just based on the hires so far. None of them have been on anyone's radar, and I expect the trend to continue.
Give 'em hell!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:32 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 am
I get what you're saying about Roof and his early career, but the second half of the statement gives me pause. He didn't adjust to spread offenses quick enough? The history of the Belt is offense. App has been so dominant because of its defense shutting those offenses down. For years, the teams that won (for the most part) outscored everyone, defense be damned. If we take a step or more back on defense, the conference suddenly becomes that much harder to win.

I have no opinion on Roof. If Drink and Gillen think he's the guy, then so be it. I personally believe that it will probably be someone else, just based on the hires so far. None of them have been on anyone's radar, and I expect the trend to continue.
It seems a lot of established DC's had issues adjusting to the Spread around that time. I also think he had issues with recruiting at GT the second time around. If you're on Defense, the whole spring then fall camp you're practicing against the Triple-O then you're asked to game prep against a scout team offense that was recruited to run the option and asked to perform on Saturday against spread or pro-style offenses, some with NFL caliber QBs. GT just wasn't set up for success his second time around.

I agree with you, I don't think he'll be our next hire. Like I stated above I think we'll go for a younger coach that has experience with the 3-4. One caveat, if we can hire Woody back I could see that happening as well. If it's not Woody then I expect a young, up-and-coming DC that no one has mentioned here.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:13 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:30 pm
We already brought in a guy, very solid with a great resume, but DG was waiting to clear something up with him (hence why it has yet to be announced). DG has been very involved in the hires, which is unusual for an AD, but nice considering DG wants to help ensure our culture thrives. Im pretty sure this individual will be the next coach announced.
I just got a wild idea on the WR coach, but i'm probably wrong. Lance Taylor, WR coach for the Panthers. coached with Dorsey and was also at App in 2009. theres been rumblings of changes in Carolina, so one would think he could be a casualty there

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:18 am

Why not go back to the well and hire Josh Conklin as DC...

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 am

mtnjax wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:13 am
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:30 pm
We already brought in a guy, very solid with a great resume, but DG was waiting to clear something up with him (hence why it has yet to be announced). DG has been very involved in the hires, which is unusual for an AD, but nice considering DG wants to help ensure our culture thrives. Im pretty sure this individual will be the next coach announced.
I just got a wild idea on the WR coach, but i'm probably wrong. Lance Taylor, WR coach for the Panthers. coached with Dorsey and was also at App in 2009. theres been rumblings of changes in Carolina, so one would think he could be a casualty there
Interesting thought.... But it's not him unless this other guy doesn't get DGs approval.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:41 am

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 am
I haven't heard anything definitive, but when I heard about the new WR C and Watts moving to TE C, the person pretty much chalked up Nic as being gone.
The Appalachian State

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Appmanrcb

Unread post by Appmanrcb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Looking like Roof based on the rumblings. I’ll reserve judgement until I see the product on the field. If it is him, he has been handed one of the best defenses he has ever coached.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ll wait to judge until games are played but save for his last stop at GT he seems to have improved basically every defense he’s inherited as a new DC.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:47 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:35 pm
I don’t like it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I don’t see him as a proven winner. Coach Drink said performance over preference. If Roof is DC, he better perform on Day 1, because he is not my preferred choice. I like Nate.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:51 pm

If he (Roof) looks at our tape from the last few years and decides to switch from the 3-4 he doesn’t deserve to be employed at all.
I will email the AD and encourage all of you to as well (if that scenario come say to fruition)

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:53 pm

I don't like that he spent a year at west carolina.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Hope Roof is a quick learner and DJ Smith is a heck of a teacher.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Drink had an up close and personal look at Roof's defense at NC State and if he thinks Roof is good for App, then I'd start to question Drink's decision making. They will throw a party on Packpride if we hire Roof.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”