Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:50 pm

I feel like some of you are just feeding off the reactions of others and none of you know anything about it.

If he announces he’s switching us to a 4-3, I’ll be worried. I don’t think much evidence supports the notion that Drink is responsible for State sucking at defense.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Ugh... I will reserve final judgement once we see the on field results. However, on the surface this is a let down. Hopefully Roof knows the 3-4 or is willing to learn. Don’t see it happening now, but Gasparato is a 3-4 guy and could be key if we intend to keep the 3-4. GO APPS!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 pm

mtnjax wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:43 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 pm
And D. J. Smith didn't play in our 3-4 defense either and this year was his first year as an actual coach. But I guess since he's "one of us" he can do no wrong. Y'all crack me up. We're gonna be just fine.
but DJ did play in a 3-4 in the NFL for the Packers
For a season and a half. Let's not kid ourselves, the jury still has a lot of deliberation before it determines how good a coach he will be. I'm not super excited about the possibility, which is all it is right, of Roof being our DC but he does have a wealth of experience, both good and bad. I'm just not willing to predict damnation on our defense as easily as some are. The defensive staff will be just as important as the DC, so let's just wait and see.
WE ARE YOSEF!

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Good afternoon!

First of all let me say that I truly appreciate all you have done for my university. You have been the best AD in our history. I have been nothing but impressed with the hires you have made. However, I do not see how Ted Roof fits our culture. To my knowledge he hasn’t even coached a 3-4 defense. Our defense was top notch this season and incredibly fun to watch. The defense is always my favorite part of the game and this year was amazing. I just don’t see how someone who was about to be fired at GaTech and who State fans are praying that he leaves will be a good fit for us.

Thanks again for all you have done! I am truly grateful and I am hoping these are just rumors and Roof is not our guy.

Thanks!
06’ and 13’

Yosef Donor

Sent that to Doug.
Last edited by asu7 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asacco1

Unread post by asacco1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:53 pm
Good afternoon!

First of all let me say that I truly appreciate all you have done for my university. You have been the best AD in our history. I have been nothing but impressed with the hires you have made. However, I do not see how Ted Roof fits our culture. To my knowledge he hasn’t even coached a 3-4 defense. Our defense was top notch this season and incredibly fun to watch. The defense is always my favorite part of the game and this year was amazing. I just don’t see how someone who was about to be fired at GaTech and who State fans are praying that he leaves will be a good fit for us.

Thanks again for all you have done! I am truly grateful and I am hoping these are just rumors and Roof is not our guy.

Thanks!
Ben Grindstaff 06’ and 13’

Yosef Donor

Sent that to Doug.

Damn dude, you told him! Hope it ends up in the trash folder.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

A thousand complaints can be sent to DG and he will ignore every one of them. He just hired a new coach and you think he is going to tell the head coach he can't hire who he wants to? No way that'll happen. Got to trust Drinkwitz. And not the opinions of fans. They call this a chat board - it's just for chatting, not for hiring and firing and telling coaches what to do.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm
A thousand complaints can be sent to DG and he will ignore every one of them. He just hired a new coach and you think he is going to tell the head coach he can't hire who he wants to? No way that'll happen. Got to trust Drinkwitz. And not the opinions of fans. They call this a chat board - it's just for chatting, not for hiring and firing and telling coaches what to do.
“Hey Eli, this guy Ben Grindstaff sent me an email and doesn’t think Ted Roof fits into App’s football culture (the heck do you know about Ted Roof and how he fits into the culture inside the building Ben Grindstaff?) so long story short Drink we can’t make that hire” LMAO

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't see how anyone can blame Roof for anything at State. Huxtable was the one calling their defense. Roof was an assoc. head coach/safeties coach for one season. Good or bad that's not enough sample size, especially considering their defense lost 9 starters from the previous season to make any judgment. His second time at GT as DC didn't go as well, but he has a history of being a good DC prior to that.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
“Hey Eli, this guy Ben Grindstaff sent me an email and doesn’t think Ted Roof fits into App’s football culture (the heck do you know about Ted Roof and how he fits into the culture inside the building Ben Grindstaff?) so long story short Drink we can’t make that hire” LMAO
I'm recalling three sage words of wisdom spoken by one Herm Edwards, "Don't press send".
WE ARE YOSEF!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:05 pm

I’ve listened to every Drinkwitz interview he’s given over the last week or two and literally all of them repeat the “practicality over preference” monicre.

Maybe he’s not the best fit for our personnel having mainly coached 4-3, but I would be shocked if our head coach allowed his new DC to undermine his primary philosophy and start changing our scheme to suit his own expertise.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Go ahead ... our D will not be what it was this year. If he has never coached the 3-4 then how can we use it? You expect him to learn it over winter? Oh wait let’s let him talk to the Defensive staff we kept. Oh bummer they are all gone!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:25 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:21 pm
Well, he was the DC for Auburn's Nat' Championship team in 2011 under Gene Chizik, so there's that. That's also the real connection to Drink. He was not the coordinator at NC State. No reason he can't coach a 3-4 and if we do switch over time we've had really good 4-3 defenses in the past as well. He has been successful in his career. We don't know what Ted Roof understands. I'd bet he's forgotten a lot more than some of us know. But I'm certainly not the expert some of you are. Let's lighten up a little bit. These are real people we're talking about. Wonder how many of us were poo-pooed when we were hired for our jobs.
At least you recognize this. :lol:
NattyBump, the expert on how those on NCSU and GT message board will react :lol:
I prefer idiot savant

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:05 pm
I’ve listened to every Drinkwitz interview he’s given over the last week or two and literally all of them repeat the “practicality over preference” monicre.

Maybe he’s not the best fit for our personnel having mainly coached 4-3, but I would be shocked if our head coach allowed his new DC to undermine his primary philosophy and start changing our scheme to suit his own expertise.
I respect your posts Gonzo, just want to clarify Drink said "Performance over Preference".
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Some of you need to stop drinking the kool aid and realize that our DC is the 2nd most important hire we will make. We won at coastal because of our D. This is just not good. We could have done better.

Losing Ivey and Brown are going to hurt now.
Last edited by asu7 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah, my bad. Suffice it to say: he is specifically telling the fans that if it isn’t broken, he isn’t going to fix it.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Roof is a dinosaur. A dinosaur who has coached at a number of P5 programs and so he knows what it looks like at that level and what kind of athletes and resources are needed to compete. In the past he also had a good reputation as a teacher.

If this is a hire primarily based on that experience and because he has said he wants to be here to help this program take the next step in becoming a perennial top 25 type team, then great. If he can really set aside his ego like Drink says everyone on his staff will be expected to do - "low ego, high output" and "performance over preference" - then, again, great.

But if this is a hire based primarily on the fact that Drink believes Roof is the guy to hand the keys to the defense over to, and Roof is set in his 4-3, Cover 2 ways, then this has a better than 50% chance to be a disaster.

He knows a lot of football. But like I said, he is a dinosaur. Not every hire can be an inspired choice, but this sure smells like a budget move.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 pm

asu7 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm
Go ahead ... our D will not be what it was this year. If he has never coached the 3-4 then how can we use it? You expect him to learn it over winter? Oh wait let’s let him talk to the Defensive staff we kept. Oh bummer they are all gone!
This isn't rocket science, it's football. Professional football coaches can adjust. Hell, our former staff COMPLETELY overhauled our offense in one offseason and the rest has been history that is still being made. Roof has experience with the Tampa 2 that is based out of a 4-3 but the personnel for the T2 is similar to that of our 3-4, smaller and fast. Quite frankly I think if I were in his shoes I would be frothing from the mouth to work with our 3-4 and add some T2 components. I'm willing to get behind him and see what happens. Especially since it's not up to us anyway who is hired.
WE ARE YOSEF!

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm

A lot of fanboard experts also said that the move to FBS was horrible and that Satterfield should have been fired in 2014. I'll hold my judgement until after the season has begun.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm

If I'm trying to be open-minded, I would anticipate that Roof has good recruiting connections in Georgia and with his stint at NC State and Duke, probably had developed relationships in NC. I don't believe he is a top recruiter, but he has name recognition. As some have mentioned, he did not do well with his 2nd stint at GTech, however, was not the play-caller for NC State and he's done pretty well everywhere else. He's got significant SEC and ACC experience, whereas most of the current staff has very little. I would feel better bringing him on if we could also retain Gasparato as co-DC and still run the 3-4 with some wrinkles that Roof could add. Also, I believe the Duke message board is happy for him.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Not saying you are wrong, but DG is very involved in the hiring of all staff, all the way down to assistants. He is one of the very few in the country that do this. DG also cares a lot about what the fans and Alumni think. There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion to him, he really does care, regardless of whether he does anything about it or not.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”