Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 am

I have not heard of anyone transferring out because of Ted Roof apparently being hired.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:45 am
appst89 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 am
He has my support until I see a reason not to, but I am disappointed in this hire.

Much more troubling to me is all I'm hearing about unhappy players (and I mean prominent defensive players) ready to leave because of this. I would hope the kids would realize that's not a smart decision, but 18-22 year old kids are not always going to make smart decisions. The X's and the O's may be irrelevant if the Jimmy's and the Joe's aren't there.
They are probably speaking out of loyalty to the old coaches. That’s understandable. But cooler heads will prevail and if they feel that they don’t want to be here anymore, then Godspeed.
I'm hoping for cooler heads.

But I can't help but remember 1988. The '89 team would have been the best in App history at that time, but the attrition because of the coaching change wiped that out.

History doesn't have to repeat itself, but those of us who witnessed that in '89 can't help but be a little leery of it happening again.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:54 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am
So we need a DL, RB coach and two more possibly Defensive coaches.
Based on recent hires, my guess is Mike Pelton for Dline.
This one would be problematic as he is a 4-3 guy. Good coach but he might not fit here.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 am

Reading all I can find, I admit to being conflicted. My mind has concerns while my gut thinks it's a good call. For the moment, I'll "trust the visor".

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am

Drink is not just going to let kids blow out of here. He has stated that one of his primary responsibilities is player retention. Gillin told me in New Orleans that the next goals for the program were consistently being ranked in the Top 25, a NY6 bowl and a ultimately a new conference. If a kid sits down with Drink and Gillin, listens to what they have to say about our program, and then chooses not to be a part of that....then whatever.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am
Yeah I am still not impressed with Roof. I just think there were better options but that is my opinion. I hope he doesn't kill our defense. Defense is my favorite part of the game and for the first time in a long time it was amazing this year. Of course it was getting better over the years.

The thing is ... our defense was a top 20 defense this past year. We have all the talent still among us. If our defense is not a top 20 defense this year barring injuries then this will be Roof's fault. He is the only thing changing to our defense so it is his now. He either makes it better, keeps it the same or (I hope not) makes it worse. if the latter happens it is on him.
Those young men on that D would be hard to kill.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am

We are heading east to Raleigh for the weekend to see our oldest son. We are going to the NC State basketball game tonight and will talk with friends to see what they think of our football coaches coming from State. I have always heard good things about them I am pretty sure.

BBQ - Also, will get some of that great Eastern NC BBQ this weekend. As agreed by all on this board Eastern NC BBQ is the best! ;)
Give Em Hell!!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:05 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am
We are heading east to Raleigh for the weekend to see our oldest son. We are going to the NC State basketball game tonight and will talk with friends to see what they think of our football coaches coming from State. I have always heard good things about them I am pretty sure.

BBQ - Also, will get some of that great Eastern NC BBQ this weekend. As agreed by all on this board Eastern NC BBQ is the best! ;)
Jealous.......Love the Eastern Q
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:33 am
asu66 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:01 am
You are entitled to your opinion asu66. Not trying to change it, just trying to add a perspective to all of this other than doom and gloom. Enjoy the ride.
No harm; no foul. Appsolutely no one's enjoyin' this 'cept gsu iggle fans.
I’m having a pretty good time actually.
66 and 10: I'm having a fun time reading all the "experts" here as well. Last time I checked I learned quite a bit of football from Coach Brakefield and from Fisher DeBerry's football class but I'm confident that Drink and his staff have forgotten more than I'll ever know. Doug Gillen has hired quite a few coaches in his career and he's done it again. I'm always in favor of hiring folks and then letting them do their job; don't micro-manage. Satt is gone; that train has left the station weeks ago. Everyone needs to hop on board the Drinkwitz train, support him and his staff, join Yosef and encourage others to join, and let's enjoy the ride! The move to FBS resulted in changes and it's continuing! It's just like Dylan sang, and I for one am looking forward to it! Give 'em hell, APPS!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 am

97APP wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:27 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am
97APP wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am
What's funny is that nationally this will be seen as a Splash hire for App and will generate good press. Here some are acting like Roof stole their girlfriend and keyed their car.
Yep, just yesterday here in Raleigh they were on the radio talking about what an impressive staff Drink is putting together on the mountain.
We're going to be fine. There will be an adjustment period. I don't know if that will result in a change to our W/L record and neither does anyone else. Roof is well respected among coaching circles.

Most of the complaints here with Roof are regarding his last stint at Ga Tech and his head coaching experience at Duke (last I heard he's going to be our DC not HC). I hope most are aware that Ga Tech and Duke aren't playing on an even field against their peer conference and P5 opponents. The academic restrictions at Duke (for football) and Ga Tech are real and cannot be glossed over. Also, while I respect Paul Johnson and enjoy watching option football, the defense spends all spring and fall camp defending the option with only getting cursory spread or pro-style offensive looks . What D-lineman wants to sign up for an off-season of cut blocks. How can the defense adequately prepare for a pro-style offense against a scout team formed by option QBs and WRs /slot backs recruited to run and block for the option.

While I'm surprised he's going to be our new DC (I thought we'd go for an up and coming coach), I like Roof as a coach. There are concerns, but there are positives too. I think he'll prove to be a good hire; however, he may not. We'll see soon enough. Until he proves otherwise he has my support.
Great post and i agree with it all. Idk what happened at GT, doesn’t look great on the surface but like you alluded to, I’m not sure how great you can be on defense at a school like Tech. Not sure how many top flight athletes wanna be forced into taking Calculus freshman year. PJ ran through DCs at GT.

Looking at defensive rankings for the schools prior to Roofs arrival vs year one of Roof has me pretty hopeful.

89gradX2

Unread post by 89gradX2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 am

I feel like this thread is the barber shop scene in 'Hoosiers.'

"Zone defense is the only thing we've played in the past and its the only thing that'll work this year."

I know. I know its a basketball reference but same.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:20 am

My boss is a big time Auburn alumni and has followed their football team closely. We were talking yesterday about Roof and the first this he said was he’s a good coach and was surprised he has been at 4-3 schools because he is a 3-4 guy. He will be fine with our 3-4 and we will still be dominant next year.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am

Go to Backyard Pit on hwy 55 in Durham. Right off of 40. Best Q in the Triangle.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 am

89gradX2 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 am
I feel like this thread is the barber shop scene in 'Hoosiers.'

"Zone defense is the only thing we've played in the past and its the only thing that'll work this year."

I know. I know its a basketball reference but same.
Great movie. Paraphrasing Coach Dale. “I’ve seen you guys run the 3-4, but there is more to the game than the 3-4.”

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 am

asu7 wrote:
Yeah I am still not impressed with Roof. I just think there were better options but that is my opinion. I hope he doesn't kill our defense. Defense is my favorite part of the game and for the first time in a long time it was amazing this year. Of course it was getting better over the years.

The thing is ... our defense was a top 20 defense this past year. We have all the talent still among us. If our defense is not a top 20 defense this year barring injuries then this will be Roof's fault. He is the only thing changing to our defense so it is his now. He either makes it better, keeps it the same or (I hope not) makes it worse. if the latter happens it is on him.
Well sure there are better options but Brent Venables ain't leaving Clemson. Its a matter of who's available, who's interested, who can we afford, who runs the 3-4, and who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. That list of options gets smaller and smaller with every criteria you attach.

I'm surprised Doug and Eli are even engaged in a coaching search. It's obvious the Superman they're looking for is right here on this message board.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 am
asu7 wrote:

Well sure there are better options but Brent Venables ain't leaving Clemson. Its a matter of who's available, who's interested, who can we afford, who runs the 3-4, and who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. That list of options gets smaller and smaller with every criteria you attach.

I'm surprised Doug and Eli are even engaged in a coaching search. It's obvious the Superman they're looking for is right here on this message board.
Let's be honest though. Most of these hysterical men posting on this thread over the past 48 hours would agree that a water boy who handed water to coach Woody one time is more qualified than a BCS national champ at DC. It's all about the Appalachian family.

Maybe we've earned the Appalachian incest stereotype.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am
asu7 wrote:

Like who? Who would you have picked up the phone and offered the job to?
I would have offered it to Gasparato. Ivey would have been first choice but since he wanted 3 years then I dunno it would have been tough. Gasparato would have been next on my list. Yes I know not as experienced but he knows our defense. This is one area that isn't broke and doesn't need to be tweaked just maintained. Gasparato would have maintained what we have. I would have at least given him a shot over Roof. If not Gasparato then my next choice would have been Nate Woody. Yes would have taken some coin but the guy knows our defense and is experienced. Bet we could have gotten Woody for what we will be paying Roof. So to me there were better options than some one who is washed up and on paper he looks washed up. Before I get bashed for saying that ... I am entitled to my opinion and I am also entitled to not agree with what every one who gets hired here. So far it has been good except for the Roof hire.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 am
asu7 wrote:

So because I am a fan I can't have an opinion that differs from the Administration? I have to be called superman? I am not claiming to know everything I am claiming that my opinion of hiring Roof is not what I would have done. Can I not do that? If not this baord is not what it is supposed to be and I will check out. Geez ...

I didn't want Roof as a DC can I not be unhappy with the hire?

Maybe they should have called you App Diesel ... since we are going to result to name calling ...

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am

Again ...

Roof's defense was not why Auburn won the natty. If any of you think that Roof's defense that year won them the Natty ... then wow.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 am

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with hires, players, staff than most of us will ever know. It's easy to say "we should have this, we should have that" when we aren't privy to the same information that DG and Drink are. It can't always be "App Family" guys. I think Roof will be fine, the Tweet from Ethan Joyce about Roof meeting with the writers leads me to believe that he is not a "only my way" type of coach.

The biggest concern any of us should have is how our current players react to the hire. I can tell you now that I know at least one player, who is integral to our defense, that is considering leaving (early... Hint hint) due to this hire. Overreaction, absolutely... But that's what kids do and I hope the current staff is prepared to diffuse.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”