Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

fjblair

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am

"Natty"? Okay.

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 am
There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with hires, players, staff than most of us will ever know. It's easy to say "we should have this, we should have that" when we aren't privy to the same information that DG and Drink are. It can't always be "App Family" guys. I think Roof will be fine, the Tweet from Ethan Joyce about Roof meeting with the writers leads me to believe that he is not a "only my way" type of coach.

The biggest concern any of us should have is how our current players react to the hire. I can tell you now that I know at least one player, who is integral to our defense, that is considering leaving (early... Hint hint) due to this hire. Overreaction, absolutely... But that's what kids do and I hope the current staff is prepared to diffuse.
Tell Mr Duck to hang around one more year.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 am

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am
asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am
Yeah I am still not impressed with Roof. I just think there were better options but that is my opinion. I hope he doesn't kill our defense. Defense is my favorite part of the game and for the first time in a long time it was amazing this year. Of course it was getting better over the years.

The thing is ... our defense was a top 20 defense this past year. We have all the talent still among us. If our defense is not a top 20 defense this year barring injuries then this will be Roof's fault. He is the only thing changing to our defense so it is his now. He either makes it better, keeps it the same or (I hope not) makes it worse. if the latter happens it is on him.
Like who? Who would you have picked up the phone and offered the job to?
I would have offered it to Gasparato. Ivey would have been first choice but since he wanted 3 years then I dunno it would have been tough. Gasparato would have been next on my list. Yes I know not as experienced but he knows our defense. This is one area that isn't broke and doesn't need to be tweaked just maintained. Gasparato would have maintained what we have. I would have at least given him a shot over Roof. If not Gasparato then my next choice would have been Nate Woody. Yes would have taken some coin but the guy knows our defense and is experienced. Bet we could have gotten Woody for what we will be paying Roof. So to me there were better options than some one who is washed up and on paper he looks washed up. Before I get bashed for saying that ... I am entitled to my opinion and I am also entitled to not agree with what every one who gets hired here. So far it has been good except for the Roof hire.
Does anyone have knowledge that Woody would even have a desire to come back to App for G5 coordinator money?

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am
"Natty"? Okay.
That is all you got from that post? Okay.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am

AppSt94 wrote:
asu7 wrote:
Yeah I am still not impressed with Roof. I just think there were better options but that is my opinion. I hope he doesn't kill our defense. Defense is my favorite part of the game and for the first time in a long time it was amazing this year. Of course it was getting better over the years.

The thing is ... our defense was a top 20 defense this past year. We have all the talent still among us. If our defense is not a top 20 defense this year barring injuries then this will be Roof's fault. He is the only thing changing to our defense so it is his now. He either makes it better, keeps it the same or (I hope not) makes it worse. if the latter happens it is on him.
Brian VanGorder was available.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Again ...

Roof's defense was not why Auburn won the natty. If any of you think that Roof's defense that year won them the Natty ... then wow.
I'm a Panthers PSL owner, so I'm very familiar with the phenomenon of Cam Newton making an otherwise terrible team a great one, but you'll never convince me that Ted Roof doesn't know what he's doing.

Maybe a disappointing fit based on his recent schemes vs ours and a failed stint as HC at Duke (which is a difficult job, btw -- only Spurrier has done a good job there) might raise concern. Those are reasonable takes, but he's HIGHLY qualified. You don't win like that in the SEC with a terrible defense. I have 0 doubt that he can adequately understand the multi-front/3-4, especially since he was running that scheme before Bryan Brown was even a position coach.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:03 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
asu7 wrote:

Brian VanGorder was available.
The Gumroots would have liked that.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am
asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Again ...

Roof's defense was not why Auburn won the natty. If any of you think that Roof's defense that year won them the Natty ... then wow.
I'm a Panthers PSL owner, so I'm very familiar with the phenomenon of Cam Newton making an otherwise terrible team a great one, but you'll never convince me that Ted Roof doesn't know what he's doing.

Maybe a disappointing fit based on his recent schemes vs ours and a failed stint as HC at Duke (which is a difficult job, btw -- only Spurrier has done a good job there) might raise concern. Those are reasonable takes, but he's HIGHLY qualified. You don't win like that in the SEC with a terrible defense. I have 0 doubt that he can adequately understand the multi-front/3-4, especially since he was running that scheme before Bryan Brown was even a position coach.
I hope you are right. I really do. I hope I eat crow. I just don't feel good about it yet. I was on the Gattis train big time. Then Drink emerged and I am happy with Drink and 90% happy with all the hires he has made except this one. I know they know more than me and I hope they are making the right decision. I hope he is successful and makes our D better. I just don't feel as though he is the right fit for here.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 pm

asu7 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
asu7 wrote:

I would have offered it to Gasparato. Ivey would have been first choice but since he wanted 3 years then I dunno it would have been tough. Gasparato would have been next on my list. Yes I know not as experienced but he knows our defense. This is one area that isn't broke and doesn't need to be tweaked just maintained. Gasparato would have maintained what we have. I would have at least given him a shot over Roof. If not Gasparato then my next choice would have been Nate Woody. Yes would have taken some coin but the guy knows our defense and is experienced. Bet we could have gotten Woody for what we will be paying Roof. So to me there were better options than some one who is washed up and on paper he looks washed up. Before I get bashed for saying that ... I am entitled to my opinion and I am also entitled to not agree with what every one who gets hired here. So far it has been good except for the Roof hire.
Gasparato and Ivey are better choices than Roof? OK. You are right, you are entitled to your opinion and I will leave it at that.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Every time I read Gasparato's name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ov3FhRB_Wc

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:10 pm

asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 am
asu7 wrote:

Well sure there are better options but Brent Venables ain't leaving Clemson. Its a matter of who's available, who's interested, who can we afford, who runs the 3-4, and who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. That list of options gets smaller and smaller with every criteria you attach.

I'm surprised Doug and Eli are even engaged in a coaching search. It's obvious the Superman they're looking for is right here on this message board.
So because I am a fan I can't have an opinion that differs from the Administration? I have to be called superman? I am not claiming to know everything I am claiming that my opinion of hiring Roof is not what I would have done. Can I not do that? If not this baord is not what it is supposed to be and I will check out. Geez ...

I didn't want Roof as a DC can I not be unhappy with the hire?

Maybe they should have called you App Diesel ... since we are going to result to name calling ...
You have every right to express your opinion but don't expect to not be challenged. That's what a forum is all about. When it's all said and done we can all meet for a drink of choice and shake hands, pat each other on the back and cheer for the Mountaineers.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:12 pm

asu7 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
asu7 wrote:

Don't sweat it man. Emotions are high, which is better than people not caring. Gasp would be a risky hire because he has little experience. Him learning under Roof would be a better scenario, if we keep him. I'm by no means an "insider", but definetely have some good "peaks behind the curtain" and what I have taken away is that DG is a chess player and he actually thinks along the same lines as we do about certain things..... And Eli Drinkwitz is a splash hire, this guy is next level good. I am just going to trust him.

I feel for you Asu7, you are just voicing your opinion and you are getting flak for it. Reminds me of 2015 when I said I liked Taylor Lamb as a good "transition" QB, but felt he did not have the tangibles to properly compete with or win the big P5 games. I thought I would have to go into witness protection. After we saw how Zac was able to more effectively use our offense this year, most people came around. I believe Taylor himself was quoted on Twitter saying that App finally had a "real" QB. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, whether you end up being right or wrong.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 pm
Every time I read Gasparato's name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ov3FhRB_Wc
:lol: :lol:
Yes! I've been singing "Gasssssp ahhhh ranoooo" all week, much to my wife's displeasure. Occasionally she gets tired of my ability to tie every thing back to a Seinfeld episode. Greatest sitcom ever. It's funny how many other "great sitcoms" copied storylines from Seinfeld over the years.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:23 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 am
There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with hires, players, staff than most of us will ever know. It's easy to say "we should have this, we should have that" when we aren't privy to the same information that DG and Drink are. It can't always be "App Family" guys. I think Roof will be fine, the Tweet from Ethan Joyce about Roof meeting with the writers leads me to believe that he is not a "only my way" type of coach.

The biggest concern any of us should have is how our current players react to the hire. I can tell you now that I know at least one player, who is integral to our defense, that is considering leaving (early... Hint hint) due to this hire. Overreaction, absolutely... But that's what kids do and I hope the current staff is prepared to diffuse.
Tell Mr Duck to hang around one more year.
If it were him, and I'm not saying it is, I would have already done my best to relay a message to him on why he should take time to think about his decision and why he should stay.....
The Appalachian State

CYAattheRock

Unread post by CYAattheRock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Top 20 defense was great this past year, but you have to consider our schedule as well. Roof has been coaching against a little different competition than we play on a weekly basis. With our returning talent, our D should put up similar #s in conference as the last couple of years.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Maybe NCSU and GT's defensive woes were their talent level relative to the competition.

We have the best talent on defense in the SBC.

Players aren't going to turn their backs on their brothers because of a couple dozen internet warriors.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Honestly, I hate this hire, if it is Roof. Hiring a guy our former DC was hired to to replace doesn't look good, and it reeks of not looking outside the box.

I hope I'm wrong.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:37 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:10 pm
asu7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 am
asu7 wrote:

Well sure there are better options but Brent Venables ain't leaving Clemson. Its a matter of who's available, who's interested, who can we afford, who runs the 3-4, and who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. That list of options gets smaller and smaller with every criteria you attach.

I'm surprised Doug and Eli are even engaged in a coaching search. It's obvious the Superman they're looking for is right here on this message board.
So because I am a fan I can't have an opinion that differs from the Administration? I have to be called superman? I am not claiming to know everything I am claiming that my opinion of hiring Roof is not what I would have done. Can I not do that? If not this baord is not what it is supposed to be and I will check out. Geez ...

I didn't want Roof as a DC can I not be unhappy with the hire?

Maybe they should have called you App Diesel ... since we are going to result to name calling ...
You have every right to express your opinion but don't expect to not be challenged. That's what a forum is all about. When it's all said and done we can all meet for a drink of choice and shake hands, pat each other on the back and cheer for the Mountaineers.
Challenged yes. I have never once said that I know everything ... I just said I don't like this hire and that IMO there were better options. Diesel seems to think I said I was superman because that is what he used.

Being challenged is what Gonzo said. I will not stop donating my 1000 a year. I just don't like the hire. At the end of the day we all still hate GaSo and that is all that matters.

I guess what scares me is that Drink is buddies with this guy and if he does stink up the neighborhood and can't recruit, does Drink have the stones to fire him? I hope so. Now I dunno what Drink will do if a staff member doesn't perform (Did you hear that Diesel?) so I am going on speculation here and as fan that is what we do.

I love my university and all the sports even basketball. God love them. However, I do not have to agree with everything we do here. I will still support them and be at all the games and the two big away games this year. This will be the last I say on the Roof issue as my opinion has been stated. Some of you need to grow the heck up. I hope I eat crow but if Roof fails I won't be saying told you so either because well I will be pissed if he fails too. I hope he goes down as one of the best DCs we ever have. I just wish my mind and gut felt that too.

We agree to disagree. Our O will probably outscore folks like we did in 2007. Hopefully we won't need a defense. I just like a good defensive team. It makes me feel comfy when the O is stinking up the place.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm

3 and outs. Lots of them.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:12 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:05 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am
We are heading east to Raleigh for the weekend to see our oldest son. We are going to the NC State basketball game tonight and will talk with friends to see what they think of our football coaches coming from State. I have always heard good things about them I am pretty sure.

BBQ - Also, will get some of that great Eastern NC BBQ this weekend. As agreed by all on this board Eastern NC BBQ is the best! ;)
Jealous.......Love the Eastern Q
Getting ready to head to mom and dad's house (1:11pm) to eat some BBQ they brought home from Wilson, NC yesterday. Yummy yummy yummy. LOL
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”