Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

YosefNinja5
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by YosefNinja5 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 pm

App Alum Steve Wilks!

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Can’t people cool it on Roof criticism? Geez people give the guy a chance and trust our new coach a little.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Just curious, but if he is so bad, how is it that he keeps getting employed? Not saying that he is ideal, but all of the things that you state should be a detriment, but yet he keeps getting hired.
Football is an old boys club. Same reason that Hue Jackson is about to get the Bengals HC job. It’s more about who you know than how good you are. And Ted Roof knows people. Plus once you have a ring, you can coach for as long as you want. You don’t think it’s worrying that our DC went from being Auburn’s DC on a Natty squad to being NCSUs 10th assisstant and their safeties guy, and then further going down to a (perceived) lower position at a G5 for likely a pay cut? That’s a bad trajectory he’s on. Guys with his experience don’t coach for App. They coach at the big boy schools. That gives me pause.
Wasn’t he still owed money from Ga Tech last year? If so, he could afford to work as a 10th Asst. I don’t have a problem with Roof because he is a short term solution. His experience will be invaluable to Drink. First time HC that can bring in a guy that he trust to do the job he was hired to do with minimal supervision. He also can help mentor Drink through the HC life. Another aspect is that he can mentor a member of the defensive staff to become the DC in a couple of years. The easy rebuttal would be to hire Woody or Sloan, but he doesn’t know them.
Have you seen his record as a head coach? I don’t think I want him giving Drink any pointers, and if Drink is the right guy, he isn’t taking any from him
Sure have. He inherited a shit show program that was hard to win with.

And did nothing at all to improve it in 4 years. Look at the success their current coach has in comparison.

The last coach he “mentored” was Scottie Montgomery, and I think we can all agree we don’t want a repeat of that performance at App.

Also, here is a review of the defense in the championship season:

Defensively the Tigers were improved from 2009 but less impressive than on offense, ranking in the lower half of the SEC for most defensive categories.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Where’s this announcement we were told was happening today?
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm
Where’s this announcement we were told was happening today?
It ain’t happening.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Ever?
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 pm
Ever?
Not tonight, not tonight, not tomorrow, nor the next day. 😂
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Hire Woody. Or go get someone like Todd Bates at Clemson. The right DC guy must be able to recruit and get commits for us to continue our climb. We don’t need a gray beard dinosaur, we have a winning culture.
You guys assume we want Nate back. I think Nate is a defensive mastermind, but I’m not sure if he really “connected” with the kids. I believe there is a reason Brown had the “defense that Woody built” playing at a different level this season.
The Appalachian State

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:40 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Hire Woody. Or go get someone like Todd Bates at Clemson. The right DC guy must be able to recruit and get commits for us to continue our climb. We don’t need a gray beard dinosaur, we have a winning culture.
You guys assume we want Nate back. I think Nate is a defensive mastermind, but I’m not sure if he really “connected” with the kids. I believe there is a reason Brown had the “defense that Woody built” playing at a different level this season.
I agree with you. Brown got them to play to their potential. #jackboyz. Nate has the system that dominates the G5. App State can recruit a smaller yet, fast athletic tackler.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 am

I get it now. You guys don’t like Roof as the alleged DC because he wouldn’t be your guy that you want. Admittedly, he isn’t the sexiest choice but that doesn’t mean that he is isn’t the right choice. You guys are cherry picking things out to make your case without looking at the holistic picture of the situation. Was he a successful HC at Duke? No. Was it totally his fault? How do we know? Did Duke put the kind of money into the program that they do today? Is it an apples to apples situation regarding the resources available to Roof versus Cut? As for the Scottie Montgomery mentor comment. ECU is a dumpster fire of a program with no true leadership in the athletic department. He inherited a bad situation and had no help to fix it. I honestly don’t care if you like Roof or not, but some of you need to stop pretending that you know more than the decision makers because you don’t. Trust DG, trust Drink and the fact that there is a plan for continued success. No one is looking to ruin what we have going. Least of all a HC and AD that make a good living that is dependent on our success.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Football is an old boys club. Same reason that Hue Jackson is about to get the Bengals HC job. It’s more about who you know than how good you are. And Ted Roof knows people. Plus once you have a ring, you can coach for as long as you want. You don’t think it’s worrying that our DC went from being Auburn’s DC on a Natty squad to being NCSUs 10th assisstant and their safeties guy, and then further going down to a (perceived) lower position at a G5 for likely a pay cut? That’s a bad trajectory he’s on. Guys with his experience don’t coach for App. They coach at the big boy schools. That gives me pause.
Wasn’t he still owed money from Ga Tech last year? If so, he could afford to work as a 10th Asst. I don’t have a problem with Roof because he is a short term solution. His experience will be invaluable to Drink. First time HC that can bring in a guy that he trust to do the job he was hired to do with minimal supervision. He also can help mentor Drink through the HC life. Another aspect is that he can mentor a member of the defensive staff to become the DC in a couple of years. The easy rebuttal would be to hire Woody or Sloan, but he doesn’t know them.
Have you seen his record as a head coach? I don’t think I want him giving Drink any pointers, and if Drink is the right guy, he isn’t taking any from him

And did nothing at all to improve it in 4 years. Look at the success their current coach has in comparison.

The last coach he “mentored” was Scottie Montgomery, and I think we can all agree we don’t want a repeat of that performance at App.

Defensively the Tigers were improved from 2009 but less impressive than on offense, ranking in the lower half of the SEC for most defensive categories.
You do know Scottie Montgomery was an OC while Roof coaches defense....right? The stuff some of y’all pull out of your arse to dismiss someone lol.

I hope some of y’all get your shot at AD one day since you clearly have more knowledge than the folks in charge lol.

asacco1

Unread post by asacco1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

You do know Scottie Montgomery was an OC while Roof coaches defense....right? The stuff some of y’all pull out of your arse to dismiss someone lol.

I hope some of y’all get your shot at AD one day since you clearly have more knowledge than the folks in charge lol.
Scottie Montgomery was an essential part in Duke's total turn around. His tenure at ECU means nothing in terms of his coaching ability. He would actually be a great addition to the offensive staff at App. Wish we could also poach Derek Jones ( Associate Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach at Duke).

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 am

When reported that Roof had been hired, it was stated that he was hired on December 15th by the same source. I find it odd that if he were already hired why hasn't he been announced? The game was 4 days ago.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 am
When reported that Roof had been hired, it was stated that he was hired on December 15th by the same source. I find it odd that if he were already hired why hasn't he been announced? The game was 4 days ago.
I agree, weird if he's our guy. Also weird that Ivey and Jones haven't been announced at UL yet unless I've missed it.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am

Not sure about Roof, but Ivey and Jones are indeed gone.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 am

Yosef10 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I am aware of what side of the ball each person coaches. The mention of Montgomery was related to the comment that Drink could use Roof's experience as a HC to help him out and give him advice as a new coach. Thus I demonstrated the track record of the last coach who was mentored by Roof.

Look, If he is the new DC, I hope he succeeds and makes all the doubters eat crow. We have great talent, so its likely a couple years before we know the real truth, but with the number of moves he has made, never putting a consistently dominant defense on the field, and the way NC State's Defense, particularly their secondary which is coached by him, performed this year, I think it is fair for those of us who aren't sold or excited about this (potential)hire.
That doesn't mean that we aren't true App supporters, or think we know more than Doug Gillin, Drink or any other insult that you want to assign. It simply means that we are objective enough to look at the track record and question how it will fit in with our current, strong defense.
In the championship year Auburn's defense was in the bottom half of the conference, the next year it was the bottom of the conference. His defense at Penn St did great for a year, and GT was pretty inconsistent under him and he went to NC State to avoid being fired by Tech.
Which DC will we get? The successful one from Penn State or the one about to be fired from Auburn, and GT?
I think these are fair concerns

BooneAnonymous

Unread post by BooneAnonymous » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 am

Not sure what happened to the announcement yesterday. This is certainly strange and almost certainly means a hold up in the final contract/HR side of things. If we don't hear anything today about a hire, I would wager there is a major hold-up. Ted Roof is our guy, but that can change if he can't pass background or if there is a contract dispute. Stay tuned.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 am

BooneAnonymous wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 am
Not sure what happened to the announcement yesterday. This is certainly strange and almost certainly means a hold up in the final contract/HR side of things. If we don't hear anything today about a hire, I would wager there is a major hold-up. Ted Roof is our guy, but that can change if he can't pass background or if there is a contract dispute. Stay tuned.
Drink got some tips from the Trump organization to dump all their bad news on a Friday. I fully expect Roof to be announced Friday at 4:59pm right before the weekend tomorrow. :lol:

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 am
BooneAnonymous wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 am
Drink got some tips from the Trump organization to dump all their bad news on a Friday. I fully expect Roof to be announced Friday at 4:59pm right before the weekend tomorrow. :lol:
That's not Trump's invention, UNC mastered that art during the academic and athletic scandal investigations.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 am
Yosef10 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

I am aware of what side of the ball each person coaches. The mention of Montgomery was related to the comment that Drink could use Roof's experience as a HC to help him out and give him advice as a new coach. Thus I demonstrated the track record of the last coach who was mentored by Roof.

Look, If he is the new DC, I hope he succeeds and makes all the doubters eat crow. We have great talent, so its likely a couple years before we know the real truth, but with the number of moves he has made, never putting a consistently dominant defense on the field, and the way NC State's Defense, particularly their secondary which is coached by him, performed this year, I think it is fair for those of us who aren't sold or excited about this (potential)hire.
That doesn't mean that we aren't true App supporters, or think we know more than Doug Gillin, Drink or any other insult that you want to assign. It simply means that we are objective enough to look at the track record and question how it will fit in with our current, strong defense.
In the championship year Auburn's defense was in the bottom half of the conference, the next year it was the bottom of the conference. His defense at Penn St did great for a year, and GT was pretty inconsistent under him and he went to NC State to avoid being fired by Tech.
Which DC will we get? The successful one from Penn State or the one about to be fired from Auburn, and GT?
I think these are fair concerns
Just not sure where you came up with the idea that Ted Roof was Scottie Montgomery’s “mentor”. Ted Roof was at Duke almost a decade before Montgomery showed up lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”