Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am

i dont know why we want someone with a 6-45 record as HC to be around to "help" the new HC

Chaz

Unread post by Chaz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am
i dont know why we want someone with a 6-45 record as HC to be around to "help" the new HC
I honestly hope someone asks him that question verbatim at the next presser. I do think it's a valid question why we would bring someone in who has had so little success as a coach and is on the downside of his career. I don't pretend to be an expert, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:43 am

One thing Roof is able to do is take a back seat and has no ego. Drink had stated he wanted no egos around. Roof is probably the only person with his experience that would be ok with coming in and letting a guy with only a few years experience, Gasparato, have a major role in the defensive scheme. Roof will probably help with the overall game plan and provide insight when needed, but I think this is a grooming role for him mostly to get Gasparato ready to take the next step. Also a backup in case Gasparato is not who everyone says he can be.

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:54 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Hire Woody. Or go get someone like Todd Bates at Clemson. The right DC guy must be able to recruit and get commits for us to continue our climb. We don’t need a gray beard dinosaur, we have a winning culture.
You guys assume we want Nate back. I think Nate is a defensive mastermind, but I’m not sure if he really “connected” with the kids. I believe there is a reason Brown had the “defense that Woody built” playing at a different level this season.
Brown is a great coach and had a great year but he also walked into a great situation left by Woody. The defense was built, had seasoned players in the scheme and our recruiting was getting better each year and we had depth. In the back half of the 2017 season the defense really started to click and then capped it off in the bowl game by totally dominating a very good Toledo team.
Let's not kid ourselves, we would all be very excited if Woody was coming back as DC and I have a feeling the players would feel the same way.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am

JROCK98 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:54 am
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Hire Woody. Or go get someone like Todd Bates at Clemson. The right DC guy must be able to recruit and get commits for us to continue our climb. We don’t need a gray beard dinosaur, we have a winning culture.
You guys assume we want Nate back. I think Nate is a defensive mastermind, but I’m not sure if he really “connected” with the kids. I believe there is a reason Brown had the “defense that Woody built” playing at a different level this season.
Brown is a great coach and had a great year but he also walked into a great situation left by Woody. The defense was built, had seasoned players in the scheme and our recruiting was getting better each year and we had depth. In the back half of the 2017 season the defense really started to click and then capped it off in the bowl game by totally dominating a very good Toledo team.
Let's not kid ourselves, we would all be very excited if Woody was coming back as DC and I have a feeling the players would feel the same way.
You missed what I said.
I credited Nate for being the mastermind that installed this defense. That is his strength. What I was alluding to was that Nate is known for being a "different guy" and he didn't exactly "relate" with the kids that well. Brown absolutely benefited from Nates foundation, and Browns personality and aggressiveness took our defense to a new level.
I would have loved having Nate back, but that not be the same sentiment you would hear from the team (maybe...)
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:35 am

Just heard that we may be getting a DB coach who use to be at Alabama, Auburn, Lafayette, and has NFL experience. He is a minority with an impeccable reputation. If this person is indeed coming to Boone we may have just upgraded our secondary coaching. He and Greg will be a GREAT tandem. Anyone else able to confirm this?

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 am

0849D3B3-CB76-43A6-B5D2-D9346EE82002.jpeg
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

asacco1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Have you seen his record as a head coach? I don’t think I want him giving Drink any pointers, and if Drink is the right guy, he isn’t taking any from him
Sure have. He inherited a shit show program that was hard to win with.

And did nothing at all to improve it in 4 years. Look at the success their current coach has in comparison.

The last coach he “mentored” was Scottie Montgomery, and I think we can all agree we don’t want a repeat of that performance at App.

Also, here is a review of the defense in the championship season:

Defensively the Tigers were improved from 2009 but less impressive than on offense, ranking in the lower half of the SEC for most defensive categories.
You do know Scottie Montgomery was an OC while Roof coaches defense....right? The stuff some of y’all pull out of your arse to dismiss someone lol.

I hope some of y’all get your shot at AD one day since you clearly have more knowledge than the folks in charge lol.
Scottie Montgomery was an essential part in Duke's total turn around. His tenure at ECU means nothing in terms of his coaching ability. He would actually be a great addition to the offensive staff at App. Wish we could also poach Derek Jones ( Associate Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach at Duke).
Jones is a guy I thought of as well for the DC position. He seems like he would be an inspiring coach to be around.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:23 pm
If roof was a co-dc or any defense assistant in a top 10-20 P5 team, I would be ecstatic, but the fact is he is a co-dc at a school that ranked below App at virtually every defensive catergory and was a weak spot to the team, as they were offensively sound overall. That along with his other less than stellar resume makes me not excited.
He won a ring at Auburn because of Cam Newton, not because of his lock down defense. I remember that game, it was a shootout with all offense and no defense that took heroics from cam to win the game.
While I dislike the idea of Roof being hired to do anything other than support Gasporato and Smith in running the defense and other administrative matters including roster evaluation, the National Championship game was won with complementary football. The only loss Nick Saban has suffered with a 21 point lead was to Cam Newton and Auburn; Cam deservedly gets a lot of credit for that but the defense locked down in the second half of that game as well.

Roof has had his moments and while I don't want him as the DC, I wouldn't mind him being around the program as an administrative type assistant. He's probably made enough money in his coaching career to take a stab at coming to an area with a little slower pace than the Triangle, Atlanta, and Orlando.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:51 am

app97 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am
asacco1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am
Yosef10 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

And did nothing at all to improve it in 4 years. Look at the success their current coach has in comparison.

The last coach he “mentored” was Scottie Montgomery, and I think we can all agree we don’t want a repeat of that performance at App.

Defensively the Tigers were improved from 2009 but less impressive than on offense, ranking in the lower half of the SEC for most defensive categories.
You do know Scottie Montgomery was an OC while Roof coaches defense....right? The stuff some of y’all pull out of your arse to dismiss someone lol.

I hope some of y’all get your shot at AD one day since you clearly have more knowledge than the folks in charge lol.
Scottie Montgomery was an essential part in Duke's total turn around. His tenure at ECU means nothing in terms of his coaching ability. He would actually be a great addition to the offensive staff at App. Wish we could also poach Derek Jones ( Associate Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach at Duke).
Jones is a guy I thought of as well for the DC position. He seems like he would be an inspiring coach to be around.
Scottie's tenure at ECU was an indictment on his lack of readiness to take over a program that had slowly become used to competing for Championships. ECU had a history of beating the P5 teams beginning with Logan in the 90's, Holtz and Ruff carried that on after a brief hiatus in the early 2000's, and then Ruff was fired because Compher wanted his guy. Compher is gone, and now is his mistake.

While Montgomery likely would do well as a position coach here to rebuild his credibility, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the top.

asacco1

Unread post by asacco1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:35 am
Just heard that we may be getting a DB coach who use to be at Alabama, Auburn, Lafayette, and has NFL experience. He is a minority with an impeccable reputation. If this person is indeed coming to Boone we may have just upgraded our secondary coaching. He and Greg will be a GREAT tandem. Anyone else able to confirm this?
Charlie Harbison?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am
The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 am
Yosef10 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I am aware of what side of the ball each person coaches. The mention of Montgomery was related to the comment that Drink could use Roof's experience as a HC to help him out and give him advice as a new coach. Thus I demonstrated the track record of the last coach who was mentored by Roof.

Look, If he is the new DC, I hope he succeeds and makes all the doubters eat crow. We have great talent, so its likely a couple years before we know the real truth, but with the number of moves he has made, never putting a consistently dominant defense on the field, and the way NC State's Defense, particularly their secondary which is coached by him, performed this year, I think it is fair for those of us who aren't sold or excited about this (potential)hire.
That doesn't mean that we aren't true App supporters, or think we know more than Doug Gillin, Drink or any other insult that you want to assign. It simply means that we are objective enough to look at the track record and question how it will fit in with our current, strong defense.
In the championship year Auburn's defense was in the bottom half of the conference, the next year it was the bottom of the conference. His defense at Penn St did great for a year, and GT was pretty inconsistent under him and he went to NC State to avoid being fired by Tech.
Which DC will we get? The successful one from Penn State or the one about to be fired from Auburn, and GT?
I think these are fair concerns
Just not sure where you came up with the idea that Ted Roof was Scottie Montgomery’s “mentor”. Ted Roof was at Duke almost a decade before Montgomery showed up lol.
Montgomery's first college coaching gig was at Duke under Roof in '06 and '07.
WE ARE YOSEF!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am

asacco1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
He was just hired by The Stink.

DoublySports

Unread post by DoublySports » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am

asacco1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
Isn't he at GSU though? Would be one heck of a pickup. That's for sure.

EDIT : OOOOPS, 2018 News.
Last edited by DoublySports on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

asacco1

Unread post by asacco1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am
asacco1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
Good addition to their staff tbh.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:07 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 am
0849D3B3-CB76-43A6-B5D2-D9346EE82002.jpeg
Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:11 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
asacco1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
That was last year. He "worked" there for a month then moved on to the Cardinals with coach Wilks.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 am

asucrutch23 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:11 am
TheMoody1 wrote:
asacco1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
That was last year. He "worked" there for a month then moved on to the Cardinals with coach Wilks.
Yep I noticed after I posted it was from January 2018. The decision to bail on the Stink shows he is intelligent.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:23 am

This Harbison guy is smart.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:32 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
asacco1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Charlie Harbison?
Fake News

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”