Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Appster99
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 pm
So you aren’t asking App to do something that no one has done, you are expecting it?
What I expect is for App to field the best team it can. Every fan should expect that of their team. That is what our culture is about. We expect to win on any given day. I hope the best team we field is good enough to win games against tougher opponents every year. It is my hope that we are consistently in the top 25. And once that happens consistently, it will become an expectation. Bama and Clemson do not hope to win the National Championship. They are consistently a contender so it becomes an expectation.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm
It is remarkable that Gillen and company are announcing this on a Saturday and rolling out a PR wagon along with the announcement. App Football twitter posted a Dan Quinn and Bill Curry quote talking up Roof. I don’t think it’s an indicator of good vs bad hire, but obviously DG has his ear to the fan base and anticipated negative reactions. Gillen is very good at his job.
DG is all over it. He hears a lot of what we say from message boards to gameday, trust me.....
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm
NC State fans are thanking us on twitter for taking Roof from them. How can a guy be so loved by other coaches and so disliked by fans? I keep waiting for someone, anyone, who played for him to chime in. It just defies logic that a coach could be that bad and still keep getting hired.
This is just an indictment of how dumb that fan base is, they are consistent underachievers (in every sport). How many of us blamed our Safeties Coach for our favorite team’s Swiss cheese defense? They are grasping at anything to blame their woes and put down a rival, that’s right RIVAL, school. NCST is known for cheering against their rivals more than rooting for their own team.
The Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 pm

State is a very good school.....it ends there.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
So you aren’t asking App to do something that no one has done, you are expecting it?
What I expect is for App to field the best team it can. Every fan should expect that of their team. That is what our culture is about. We expect to win on any given day. I hope the best team we field is good enough to win games against tougher opponents every year. It is my hope that we are consistently in the top 25. And once that happens consistently, it will become an expectation. Bama and Clemson do not hope to win the National Championship. They are consistently a contender so it becomes an expectation.
Fielding the best team possible is the goal of every coach paid to do just that. If they don’t, there is a good chance that they are out of a job. What you, as a fan, are expecting is unreasonable and unsustainable given our resources and talent pool. But good luck with that.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Appster99 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Fielding the best team possible is the goal of every coach paid to do just that. If they don’t, there is a good chance that they are out of a job. What you, as a fan, are expecting is unreasonable and unsustainable given our resources and talent pool. But good luck with that.
So if our fb program starts to lose you will be like, oh well, better luck next year? I do not expect our fb program to turn into our MBB program of the last near decade. Successes like we have had are never sustainable forever. But I will never give up on improving myself personally, nor will I give up on my Mountaineers improving year after year. There will be years with setbacks, but I will continue to support my University by wearing App gear, attending events, and giving financially. The point you cant seem to grasp is that there has to be a GOAL to be better. Even the best get knocked down sometimes, but if you lay there on your ass afterwards and dont try to get up and get better you arent worthy of my, or anyone elses support. If we continue to win we will earn the support and financial resources of more prominent programs. Its the building blocks of success.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Things will happen, ala Georgia Southern this year, but my expectation is to win the following 7 games:

ETSU
UNC
USC
GS
GSt
Conference Championship
Bowl Game

Hopefully the greatest asset Roof brings is the inability to be intimidated by Keenan Stadium or William Bryce... this guy coached in a NC game and Iron Bowl....as a former fringe Auburn fan (our FCS days) his defense had to slow some of those SEC teams down to give Cam Newton a chance to win the games.
The Appalachian State

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 pm

Eliah Drinkwitz- Head Coach

1. Shawn Clark- Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line

2. Ken Dorsey- QB coach

3. Greg Gasparato- Safeties

4. Erik Link- Special Teams Coordinator

5. D.J. Smith- Outside Linebackers

6. Justin Watts- TE

7. Junior Adams- WR Coach

8. Ted Roof- DC/insider linebackers

9. RB coach ??

10. Cornerback coach ??

Does this seem right?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So if our fb program starts to lose you will be like, oh well, better luck next year? I do not expect our fb program to turn into our MBB program of the last near decade. Successes like we have had are never sustainable forever. But I will never give up on improving myself personally, nor will I give up on my Mountaineers improving year after year. There will be years with setbacks, but I will continue to support my University by wearing App gear, attending events, and giving financially. The point you cant seem to grasp is that there has to be a GOAL to be better. Even the best get knocked down sometimes, but if you lay there on your ass afterwards and dont try to get up and get better you arent worthy of my, or anyone elses support. If we continue to win we will earn the support and financial resources of more prominent programs. Its the building blocks of success.
So the highlighted text is in direct contradiction to what you have stated in previous posts. According to you, we are supposed to continue to get better and stay better with consistent Top 25 participation. Success for any sports team is an ebb and flow. And no, we should not be happy with a mediocre season, but they do happen and it doesn’t always call for a reinvention of the wheel. What you see as laying there and accepting it is how you see it. There are a thousand moving parts that make a program successful and what you fail to grasp is that we as fans don’t have the knowledge available to us to know about the condition of all of those parts. Winning is hard and not winning is not a call to claim failure, rather, it is an opportunity to ask the questions and to why it happened and what can we do to fix it. I grasp your point that the goal is to continuously get better. That is always the goal, but there are always underlying factors that we may not know about that are driving the issue.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 pm

2. Ken Dorsey- QB coach

6. Justin Watts- TE

9. RB coach ??

10. Cornerback coach ??

Does this seem right?
We need a DL coach.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 pm
ComebackShack wrote:

2. Ken Dorsey- QB coach

6. Justin Watts- TE

9. RB coach ??

10. Cornerback coach ??

Does this seem right?
We need a DL coach.
So we’d either let roof coach safeties and DJ coach all the line backers, or let Gas coach all the DBs. I’d prefer the latter.

Also possible we let Dorsey coach RBs and Drink is the QB coach.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:

2. Ken Dorsey- QB coach

6. Justin Watts- TE

9. RB coach ??

10. Cornerback coach ??

Does this seem right?
We need a DL coach.
So we’d either let roof coach safeties and DJ coach all the line backers, or let Gas coach all the DBs. I’d prefer the latter.

Not sure how it will play out. #TrustTheVisor

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:27 am

appfan1991 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:09 pm
Our D has been dominant against SunBelt/G5 teams - but there is a reason we do not have a P5 win - they've out scored us. Optimistically I believe Roof can provide some tweaks that will help us compete (and win) against P5s. After all, with all of his tenures he's gone against good-to-better P5 offenses.
#9 Tennessee scored 13 points in regulation. The only reason Penn State had a shot was because of a breakdown on special teams. In a more difficult league than the Sun Belt, there would be times that App has to win a game 38-31.

However, the primary difference between the levels is talent and development, not scheme. It doesn't matter what his experience is going again "better" P5 offensss because competition is relative.

If he doesn't keep the defense and Apps defense has a Southern-esque meltdown, it's not going to look good for Drink.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:33 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
So the highlighted text is in direct contradiction to what you have stated in previous posts. According to you, we are supposed to continue to get better and stay better with consistent Top 25 participation. Success for any sports team is an ebb and flow. And no, we should not be happy with a mediocre season, but they do happen and it doesn’t always call for a reinvention of the wheel. What you see as laying there and accepting it is how you see it. There are a thousand moving parts that make a program successful and what you fail to grasp is that we as fans don’t have the knowledge available to us to know about the condition of all of those parts. Winning is hard and not winning is not a call to claim failure, rather, it is an opportunity to ask the questions and to why it happened and what can we do to fix it. I grasp your point that the goal is to continuously get better. That is always the goal, but there are always underlying factors that we may not know about that are driving the issue.
Uh...no! I never said we are supposed to do anything. I italicized hope about consistent top 25 rankings and also said i hope the team we field is good enough to beat tougher opponents. The first time "supposed" is used in our friendly debate is by you in your last retort. I hope we get that good. Our goal should be to get that good. I even said it would take years of dominating G 5s to become a P5 program. If that isnt our goal we might as well go back down to FCS and try to compete with NDS. You must have assumed I expected it to happen or it is supposed to happen in successive years but I never stated that.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm
NC State fans are thanking us on twitter for taking Roof from them. How can a guy be so loved by other coaches and so disliked by fans? I keep waiting for someone, anyone, who played for him to chime in. It just defies logic that a coach could be that bad and still keep getting hired.
To clarify, depending if you have an optimistic or pessimistic personality, my intent was to imply optimism. There is no way he could work in college football for 30 years if he is as bad as some fans may think. There is a reason we have our day jobs as fans and his is as coach.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 am

I hope aTed and all the other new coaches feel the energy in Boone at ASU and understand this is special. I know every homer thinks their school is special but ours really is. And if the DC gig doesn't cut it I'm sure someone will hit the roof.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:53 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm
It is remarkable that Gillen and company are announcing this on a Saturday and rolling out a PR wagon along with the announcement. App Football twitter posted a Dan Quinn and Bill Curry quote talking up Roof. I don’t think it’s an indicator of good vs bad hire, but obviously DG has his ear to the fan base and anticipated negative reactions. Gillen is very good at his job.
DG is all over it. He hears a lot of what we say from message boards to gameday, trust me.....
How is Dan Quinn familiar with Roof’s body of work? I don’t see any past coaching positions in common or any link that I know of. Not that his endorsement matters either way, but how does he know about Roof’s qualifications?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 am

I put zero credence in the sour grapes response from any Wolfpack fans. The fact is, that in the one season Roof was there, they matched their second highest win total in their 113 year history.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

I believe that State fans are hurt to think that little old App State has come in and raided their coaching squad after one of their most successful seasons. It’s as if they (NCSU) were the G5 school being raided by a P5.
So to all State fans who say, “thank you” I say, “You’re more than welcome.”

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:

2. Ken Dorsey- QB coach

6. Justin Watts- TE

9. RB coach ??

10. Cornerback coach ??

Does this seem right?
We need a DL coach.

The hiring of a ST coach that doesn’t appear is going to coach any other position is limiting our need to hire other assistants especially on the defensive side. Drink and Roof need to get the right guy as DL coach because that’s where it all begins on D

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 am
I put zero credence in the sour grapes response from any Wolfpack fans. The fact is, that in the one season Roof was there, they matched their second highest win total in their 113 year history.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html

I believe that State fans are hurt to think that little old App State has come in and raided their coaching squad after one of their most successful seasons. It’s as if they (NCSU) were the G5 school being raided by a P5.
So to all State fans who say, “thank you” I say, “You’re more than welcome.”
After that drubbing by Texas A&M, we will pass them in votes for both polls. They’ve lost their OC, their running game coordinator, their NFL caliber QB, and they still have Huxtable. I’m not sure they can be thankful for anything right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”