Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

JROCK98

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by JROCK98 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 am

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 am
Appster99 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm
NC State fans are thanking us on twitter for taking Roof from them. How can a guy be so loved by other coaches and so disliked by fans? I keep waiting for someone, anyone, who played for him to chime in. It just defies logic that a coach could be that bad and still keep getting hired.
To clarify, depending if you have an optimistic or pessimistic personality, my intent was to imply optimism. There is no way he could work in college football for 30 years if he is as bad as some fans may think. There is a reason we have our day jobs as fans and his is as coach.
The coaching profession (college and pro) is littered with coaches who have had long careers and continually get recycled.
Just because a coach has had a long career does that make them the right fit to run our defense??? Time will tell. Some coaches are better position coaches than head coaches or coordinators.
Perfect example and a coach most will recognize because at one time he coached down at the stink. Brian VanGorder; he’s had a long career and been the DC at several P5 schools. Not sure his resume is all that different from Roof’s. Would anyone be excited he he was gonna be our next DC??

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 am

How simple some of y’all make this stuff is laughable. Do you know how much attrition State faced in the secondary? Do you know how many recruiting misses State had in the secondary, especially Safety? Do you know the level of talent they are currently playing with in their defensive backfield? If you don’t know the answers to those three questions you’re probably better off not posting about Ted Roof and his short stint at NCSU.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 am
How simple some of y’all make this stuff is laughable. Do you know how much attrition State faced in the secondary? Do you know how many recruiting misses State had in the secondary, especially Safety? Do you know the level of talent they are currently playing with in their defensive backfield? If you don’t know the answers to those three questions you’re probably better off not posting about Ted Roof and his short stint at NCSU.
I second all of this! Also look at the resumes of our current coaching staff. Two to three years ago we would have considered this level of coaching experience a pipe dream.

Yes Woody came in and installed a great D, but why can't someone from off the mountain build upon that foundation? We still have guys who are steeped in what Woody taught. I get it change is different and brings a lot of unknowns to the table. All we can do is wait and see how it plays out.

I my self am estatic for this upcoming season; Drink appears to understand he can walk in the door and have a magical season and is building his staff around that.

#GoApp
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm
Pinning our success or failure on one game , especially a P5 game,given the resource diffences ? Not me. The body of work throughout the year will tell the tale.
Agreed, and the 2019 UNC team could be much improved over the 2018 team. Look at the 1 season turn-around Ga Southern did.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 am

Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has a good APP State Football article on our new DC -
"App Trail: App State officially announces the hiring of Ted Roof as defensive coordinator"

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... t=headline

Welcome Coach Roof!!
Give Em Hell!!

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 am

Rick83 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 am
Stonewall wrote:
Pinning our success or failure on one game , especially a P5 game,given the resource diffences ? Not me. The body of work throughout the year will tell the tale.
Agreed, and the 2019 UNC team could be much improved over the 2018 team. Look at the 1 season turn-around Ga Southern did.
IMO if they make that drastic a turn around it will be just short of a miracle. I could be wrong, but I dont think Ga So had the other distractions that Carolina has had in recent history with academic issues and such. Those things further complicate a situation. Even if they improve significantly, if we play to our potential we will be the best team, head to head, in NC.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am

I caught a lot of good natured grief for stealing their OC from my woof pack friends. They really liked the guy but knew he was headed to a HC position and were genuinely happy for him. They would love to see us win in Chapel Hill. As to that point Mack Brown knows what’s at stake in that game.Its much more important to them than it is to us. We can win that game , and if we do it’s a big step back for him and their program. I expect them to come out with fire in their eyes.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 am

The DC position is critical to Drink's success in his first HC position. He has seen first hand what Roof has done at multiple programs and knows way more about him and his capabilities than any football expert posting on this board. Drink has to work within a fixed budget and a pool of credible and "attainable" (based on budget) candidates that will fit into his vision for the team. We have hired him for his expertise in managing and coaching football programs and he strikes me as being really smart...he obviously has his reasons for hiring Roof.
You're either adding energy to the program or you're taking it away...I'm choosing to stay positive until I have a reason not to.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 am

Rick83 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Only if our luck stays the same.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am

Appster99
"Uh...no! I never said we are supposed to do anything. I italicized hope about consistent top 25 rankings and also said i hope the team we field is good enough to beat tougher opponents. The first time "supposed" is used in our friendly debate is by you in your last retort. I hope we get that good. Our goal should be to get that good. I even said it would take years of dominating G 5s to become a P5 program. If that isnt our goal we might as well go back down to FCS and try to compete with NDS. You must have assumed I expected it to happen or it is supposed to happen in successive years but I never stated that."

You can interchange the words expect, supposed and hope all you want. The bottom line is that we can get better and better every year, we can consistently put together 10 win seasons and we can consistently compete for a conference championship, but it isn't going to get us into the P5 level. There aren't enough seats at the big boy table to accommodate all of the teams ahead of us in the pecking order. The best that we can hope for is a shift to a more geographical centric conference that will increase revenue through ticket sales and reduce expenditures though easier travel. Until there is a more equitable split of television money among all conferences and schools, there isn't going to be a level playing field. We are where we are. Sorry if that seems as though I am complacent, but it is reality.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:02 am

Rick83 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
People forget that part of The Stink’s “amazing turnaround” this year was a +22 turnover margin which led the nation and will be impossible to match for them in 2019. They are giving too much credit to their idiot chair-smashing coach and not enough credit to luck dispensed by the football gods.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 am

AppRolls wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:02 am
Rick83 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
People forget that part of The Stink’s “amazing turnaround” this year was a +22 turnover margin which led the nation and will be impossible to match for them in 2019. They are giving too much credit to their idiot chair-smashing coach and not enough credit to luck dispensed by the football gods.
100% agree with this and I have said the same thing several times. There are some fans on their board that recognize this. That TO margin is crazy and a regression to the mean is likely. They also have a very difficult road schedule next year. They might actually be better next year and finish with a 7-5 regular season record.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I hate this hire not because I have anything against Roof, but because of the endless "told you so" posts that we will have to endure during his tenure anytime the D makes a mistake.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:16 pm

I won’t be here to say I told you so as I will be upset because our D is not what it could have been. What frustrates me with Roof hire is that we hire a guy who will change our scheme and we that scheme change does not suit the personnel we have. I see is going to more of a 4-2-5 base. I get we run multiple fronts but at the same time our base is a 3-4. I don’t see us staying that way. There were people available that are experienced in the 3-4 that we could have hired. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just don’t see us staying in the 3-4 which suits us. Therefore we struggle on D. Our D was great last year so this is on them if they screw it up barring injury. Like I have been saying I hope I am wrong.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm

asu7 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:16 pm
I won’t be here to say I told you so as I will be upset because our D is not what it could have been. What frustrates me with Roof hire is that we hire a guy who will change our scheme and we that scheme change does not suit the personnel we have. I see is going to more of a 4-2-5 base. I get we run multiple fronts but at the same time our base is a 3-4. I don’t see us staying that way. There were people available that are experienced in the 3-4 that we could have hired. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just don’t see us staying in the 3-4 which suits us. Therefore we struggle on D. Our D was great last year so this is on them if they screw it up barring injury. Like I have been saying I hope I am wrong.
You’ve stated your position dozens of times. Over and over! Our defensive players are already nervous about what lies ahead and you’ve certainly done your part to fuel that. I know I speak for many on this board: Give it a rest.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm

As a parent of a defensive lineman, who is hearing negativity on social media, all I can do is speak positivity into the situation. Am I concerned? Yes, but we should also give Roof a chance. Yes, change is hard and we wish Ivey would have been retained, but he wasn't. I'm remaining positive because these players have a great work ethic and truly do give their all to App State.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:43 pm

The many have spoken I will go. Enjoy the kool aid. If our players get concerned over what is posted on a board then we have bigger problems than Roof. Audios.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm

AppNC wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm
As a parent of a defensive lineman, who is hearing negativity on social media, all I can do is speak positivity into the situation. Am I concerned? Yes, but we should also give Roof a chance. Yes, change is hard and we wish Ivey would have been retained, but he wasn't. I'm remaining positive because these players have a great work ethic and truly do give their all to App State.
Thank you or weighing in on the subject. I am sure that the kids are a bit nervous with the new staff coming in but I think that the one common denominator between the new staff and the old one is that they care about the players as people first. It seemed to me that the message that Coach Drink was presenting in his initial interviews was pretty close to what was stressed by the old staff. I could be wrong though. Thank you again for your opine. It is important to remain positive.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 pm

AppNC wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Great post!! Everyone just chill. It doesn’t do anyone any good to freak out months before the season even starts. I’m cautiously optimistic and can’t wait to see black & gold take field next year! GO APPS!!

Any chance we get another hire announcements today??

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 pm

We need a DL coach announcement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”