Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

goapps93

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:04 pm

asu7 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:43 pm
The many have spoken I will go. Enjoy the kool aid. If our players get concerned over what is posted on a board then we have bigger problems than Roof. Audios.
You said about 5 pages ago you were done. We all know and even appreciate your opinion but having to hear it over and over gets old quite quickly. Nobody said you should leave. It appears you enjoy the drama though.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm
AppNC wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm
As a parent of a defensive lineman, who is hearing negativity on social media, all I can do is speak positivity into the situation. Am I concerned? Yes, but we should also give Roof a chance. Yes, change is hard and we wish Ivey would have been retained, but he wasn't. I'm remaining positive because these players have a great work ethic and truly do give their all to App State.
Wow great perspective.

I hope the players know the fans are behind them 100%, which probably leads a few of us to act like divas when administration does something we might not agree with totally (myself included)

But its important to remember that Roof is by all accounts a players' coach and has worlds of experience that all players can benefit from.

Best is yet to come! GO APP!
I'm glad we have parents like this! No reason to be down until we see evidence such as transfers for no reason or bad performance on the field.

A good coach is going to have a strong year in 2019 because we do have the talent. If we struggle this year I'll blame coaches 100% for putting players in bad positions and not getting them coached up.

I support Roof 100% unless I see our defense decline this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:01 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
AppNC wrote:
As a parent of a defensive lineman, who is hearing negativity on social media, all I can do is speak positivity into the situation. Am I concerned? Yes, but we should also give Roof a chance. Yes, change is hard and we wish Ivey would have been retained, but he wasn't. I'm remaining positive because these players have a great work ethic and truly do give their all to App State.
Wow great perspective.

I hope the players know the fans are behind them 100%, which probably leads a few of us to act like divas when administration does something we might not agree with totally (myself included)

But its important to remember that Roof is by all accounts a players' coach and has worlds of experience that all players can benefit from.

I'm glad we have parents like this! No reason to be down until we see evidence such as transfers for no reason or bad performance on the field.

A good coach is going to have a strong year in 2019 because we do have the talent. If we struggle this year I'll blame coaches 100% for putting players in bad positions and not getting them coached up.

So I will ask you the same question as the other skeptic. What, in your mind is a decline? Wins/losses, YPG, PPG?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm

I would use this metric (see link)... If we maintain our #1 Team Defense Ranking in the Sunbelt Conference then we are not in decline. We remain the hunted this off season. Nothing has changed. Mountaineers must work harder than everyone to remain the #LOB “Kings of the Mountain”. Go Apps!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/co ... fense.html
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Buzzinga
School: Georgia Tech

Unread post by Buzzinga » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 pm

1st time poster here. Longtime GT and Ted Roof fan. In 1985 he was 1st team all acc ilb playing in an aggressive 3-4 scheme, so I think he knows more about 3-4 than most give him credit for. His history has always been to use whatever suits his personnel unless the HC dictates something different. I believe Apps D is in good hands and the players will love playing for him.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Any player reading this board should only have one focus...:
https://youtu.be/2zIRcniUVgU

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

I’ve said this before and will say it again-the App defense will be without 3-4 all conference performers next season. To say that there can be absolutely no steps back or learning opportunities along the way is being unfair to the team and coaching staff. Please try to remember this as you judge each performance next season, especially early. We know there is talent stepping up, but let’s be realistic.
Give 'em hell!

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:45 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am
Appster99
"Uh...no! I never said we are supposed to do anything. I italicized hope about consistent top 25 rankings and also said i hope the team we field is good enough to beat tougher opponents. The first time "supposed" is used in our friendly debate is by you in your last retort. I hope we get that good. Our goal should be to get that good. I even said it would take years of dominating G 5s to become a P5 program. If that isnt our goal we might as well go back down to FCS and try to compete with NDS. You must have assumed I expected it to happen or it is supposed to happen in successive years but I never stated that."

You can interchange the words expect, supposed and hope all you want. The bottom line is that we can get better and better every year, we can consistently put together 10 win seasons and we can consistently compete for a conference championship, but it isn't going to get us into the P5 level. There aren't enough seats at the big boy table to accommodate all of the teams ahead of us in the pecking order. The best that we can hope for is a shift to a more geographical centric conference that will increase revenue through ticket sales and reduce expenditures though easier travel. Until there is a more equitable split of television money among all conferences and schools, there isn't going to be a level playing field. We are where we are. Sorry if that seems as though I am complacent, but it is reality.
So at the end of the day your goal is to belittle and prove impossible my examples of setting goals to get better? Maybe I overstated realistic possibilities. I dont know. I never claimed to be an expert. Im just a guy on a message board trying to learn more about the school I love and express my hopes and expectations. I want our team to field the best it can be and strive for greatness. I want App football to achieve every attainable goal possible, and maybe even a few some (you) think impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but were we not the first back to back to back FCS Champions? We beat Michigan in 2007 when everyone except App thought it was impossible. We are definitely the first team to win four bowls in our first 4 years of eligibility. We keep on doing what people say we can't and what others have never done. Just because it hasnt been done doesnt mean it cant be done. If anyone is going to defy those who say it cant be done I want it to be the Appalachian State University Mountaineer Football Team. In the words of Forrest Gump, thats all I have to say about that.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Put me down as excited about the Roof hire. All that experience coming to a winning culture, where he can succeed, it’s going to be big. Drink putting together an all star cast.

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 pm

The remaining assistant coaching hires and what position Roof coaches will probably tell us if the scheme is going to change. If Roof helps with LBs then I’ll feel good the scheme stays the same. If he doesn’t then chances are the scheme changes because that would leave Smith as the only LB coach and I don’t see him coaching up outside and inside guys as their jobs are so different in this scheme

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:01 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
AppNC wrote:
Wow great perspective.

So I will ask you the same question as the other skeptic. What, in your mind is a decline? Wins/losses, YPG, PPG?
To me, a decline is if we start giving up a lot more PPG, YPG, and see games where our defense gets beaten late to cost us a win. We have so much back and honestly could be better at corner next year. We certainly have the best LB and S unit in the SBC. Word on the street is that the HS DT we signed is a big time player who may play next year. We return all of the DL except for Stout so yes I expect us to be as good or better on defense in 2019. We have way too much back. SJC, Jones, Dawson, Jolly, Price, and Beach are also DBs I am expecting good playing time from in 2019 so there is honestly no excuse not to see a good performance from our defense.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Stout, Flory Duck and Hayes are tough to replace imo. ...If ou D comes close to last year Roofgets a gold star.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:45 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am
Appster99
"Uh...no! I never said we are supposed to do anything. I italicized hope about consistent top 25 rankings and also said i hope the team we field is good enough to beat tougher opponents. The first time "supposed" is used in our friendly debate is by you in your last retort. I hope we get that good. Our goal should be to get that good. I even said it would take years of dominating G 5s to become a P5 program. If that isnt our goal we might as well go back down to FCS and try to compete with NDS. You must have assumed I expected it to happen or it is supposed to happen in successive years but I never stated that."

You can interchange the words expect, supposed and hope all you want. The bottom line is that we can get better and better every year, we can consistently put together 10 win seasons and we can consistently compete for a conference championship, but it isn't going to get us into the P5 level. There aren't enough seats at the big boy table to accommodate all of the teams ahead of us in the pecking order. The best that we can hope for is a shift to a more geographical centric conference that will increase revenue through ticket sales and reduce expenditures though easier travel. Until there is a more equitable split of television money among all conferences and schools, there isn't going to be a level playing field. We are where we are. Sorry if that seems as though I am complacent, but it is reality.
So at the end of the day your goal is to belittle and prove impossible my examples of setting goals to get better? Maybe I overstated realistic possibilities. I dont know. I never claimed to be an expert. Im just a guy on a message board trying to learn more about the school I love and express my hopes and expectations. I want our team to field the best it can be and strive for greatness. I want App football to achieve every attainable goal possible, and maybe even a few some (you) think impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but were we not the first back to back to back FCS Champions? We beat Michigan in 2007 when everyone except App thought it was impossible. We are definitely the first team to win four bowls in our first 4 years of eligibility. We keep on doing what people say we can't and what others have never done. Just because it hasnt been done doesnt mean it cant be done. If anyone is going to defy those who say it cant be done I want it to be the Appalachian State University Mountaineer Football Team. In the words of Forrest Gump, thats all I have to say about that.
Just pointing out reality. Our ceiling is double digit wins, conference championships and the NO Bowl, with an occasional NY6 discussion. Any hopes of getting a P5 offer for membership based off this trajectory is dillusional.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:43 pm
Stout, Flory Duck and Hayes are tough to replace imo. ...If ou D comes close to last year Roofgets a gold star.
Stout is the biggest deal. He was in on every play up the middle. Other teams raved about our nose tackle and wished they had him. That’s the biggest piece of puzzle.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm

The Adams hire was just made official per Drink twitter

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm
The Adams hire was just made official per Drink twitter

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:23 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Stout is the biggest deal. He was in on every play up the middle. Other teams raved about our nose tackle and wished they had him. That’s the biggest piece of puzzle.
Sorry if we missed it .. but what happened to flory?

Appstate35

Unread post by Appstate35 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

I would argue that Hayes and Duck are the biggest deal. Hard to replace the two best CB's in the sunbelt and two of the better in the country

Appstate35

Unread post by Appstate35 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:23 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Sorry if we missed it .. but what happened to flory?
He graduated

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Love the Junior Adams hire! Sounds like him and Drinkwitz lit it up together in Boise. Really like his experience and I think he will be a major asset on the recruiting trail. Good hire. GO APPS!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”