Coach Drink Staff Thread

Appster99
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am
Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has another good App State Football article about 3 of our new football coaches - "App Trail: App State's Ted Roof, Ken Dorsey and Erik Link talk about their new roles."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Multiple and base out of a 3-4. As I said multiple times, it would be a mistake to switch to a base 4 man front so I'm glad to be vindicated by Roof. Having played the NCAA Franchise, it's difficult to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 :lol: (kidding)

Also, based on his interview, it sounds like he is here for more than just a chance to get back to a P5 school.
I thought he certainly said the right things. If wants to be at a place where he can enjoy the people he works with and enjoy the guys he coaches he is now in a place that should make him happy. I hope he is at a point where he is financially well off and does it more for the love of the game. Winning is fun and less stressful and that would be what I would want late in my career. He is inheriting a solid foundation. If can continue to build upon that then even the worst doubters here will be converted.
Wonder if this is his last stop. If so, I bet he gets himself a retirement place in the high country.
At 45 I'm already looking for my retirement place in the high country. By the time I actually retire in 20-25 years there will be no place to buy or build on under $1M. Supply and demand my friend! You can't make more land out of thin air.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 4071
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 1453 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am
Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has another good App State Football article about 3 of our new football coaches - "App Trail: App State's Ted Roof, Ken Dorsey and Erik Link talk about their new roles."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Multiple and base out of a 3-4. As I said multiple times, it would be a mistake to switch to a base 4 man front so I'm glad to be vindicated by Roof. Having played the NCAA Franchise, it's difficult to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 :lol: (kidding)

Also, based on his interview, it sounds like he is here for more than just a chance to get back to a P5 school.
I thought he certainly said the right things. If wants to be at a place where he can enjoy the people he works with and enjoy the guys he coaches he is now in a place that should make him happy. I hope he is at a point where he is financially well off and does it more for the love of the game. Winning is fun and less stressful and that would be what I would want late in my career. He is inheriting a solid foundation. If can continue to build upon that then even the worst doubters here will be converted.
Wonder if this is his last stop. If so, I bet he gets himself a retirement place in the high country.
At 45 I'm already looking for my retirement place in the high country. By the time I actually retire in 20-25 years there will be no place to buy or build on under $1M. Supply and demand my friend! You can't make more land out of thin air.
I got my place between West Jefferson and Todd with a million $ view at 4500 feet. Ashe County is a great value and it doesn’t cost a mil.



ComebackShack
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by ComebackShack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Wyatt’s mostly been a 4-3 guy by the looks of it.


Go Apps!

Appstate88
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm



One more to go.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
No, you're not. Many moons ago we could eat for $5.00. Now last I checked it's $17.00. The chicken and ham biscuits are still great but the veggies......


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

HighlandsApp
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 482 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 am

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
No, you're not. Many moons ago we could eat for $5.00. Now last I checked it's $17.00. The chicken and ham biscuits are still great but the veggies......
Went a couple of years ago for my oldest graduation; we were not impressed and I don't intend to return.



User avatar
appaneer1984
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:21 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Cary, NC
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:05 am

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am
Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has another good App State Football article about 3 of our new football coaches - "App Trail: App State's Ted Roof, Ken Dorsey and Erik Link talk about their new roles."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Multiple and base out of a 3-4. As I said multiple times, it would be a mistake to switch to a base 4 man front so I'm glad to be vindicated by Roof. Having played the NCAA Franchise, it's difficult to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 :lol: (kidding)

Also, based on his interview, it sounds like he is here for more than just a chance to get back to a P5 school.
I thought he certainly said the right things. If wants to be at a place where he can enjoy the people he works with and enjoy the guys he coaches he is now in a place that should make him happy. I hope he is at a point where he is financially well off and does it more for the love of the game. Winning is fun and less stressful and that would be what I would want late in my career. He is inheriting a solid foundation. If can continue to build upon that then even the worst doubters here will be converted.
Wonder if this is his last stop. If so, I bet he gets himself a retirement place in the high country.
At 45 I'm already looking for my retirement place in the high country. By the time I actually retire in 20-25 years there will be no place to buy or build on under $1M. Supply and demand my friend! You can't make more land out of thin air.
Tell that to China :lol:


I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

AppinVA
Posts: 11498
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1242 times
Been thanked: 1038 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 am
scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
No, you're not. Many moons ago we could eat for $5.00. Now last I checked it's $17.00. The chicken and ham biscuits are still great but the veggies......
Went a couple of years ago for my oldest graduation; we were not impressed and I don't intend to return.
I LOVVVVVE the DBI. I don’t go. My mom and dad took me once when I was a freshman back in ‘92 and we didn’t care for it. As I see it, every person who goes there and waits in line for overpriced Cracker Barrel, isn’t clogging up some place I’d choose to go. So, I hope it remains the “go to” destination in Boone for many, many years to come.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Apple@chin1
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl.
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
Shatley Springs is a thousand times better than the Dan’l Boone Inn. This from a former DBI employee.



AppinVA
Posts: 11498
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1242 times
Been thanked: 1038 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 am

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
Shatley Springs is a thousand times better than the Dan’l Boone Inn. This from a former DBI employee.
I find this hilarious. This thread has been derailed so many times, it has off-road tires.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

mgsouth
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 am
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by mgsouth » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 am
Apple@chin1 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am
appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
Shatley Springs is a thousand times better than the Dan’l Boone Inn. This from a former DBI employee.
I find this hilarious. This thread has been derailed so many times, it has off-road tires.
Did I mention, I really love my new 18 Camaro SS? Its really fun to drive. :D



User avatar
87ASUgrad
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

Here is link below to Ethan Joyce's App State Football article in the Winston-Salem Journal on Coach Buddy Wyatt's hire as our new DL Coach - "App Trail: App State hires former Big 12, SEC assistant Buddy Wyatt as defensive line coach."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!


Give Em Hell!!

fjblair
Posts: 2867
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 am

DBI is okay, but this coaching staff is frikking great!



Yosef84
Posts: 1776
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 731 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am

I am loving the hires for this staff. There's no doubt that it looks great on paper. I hope Coach Drinkwitz is as good a leader as he seems to be and that he can makes these guys mesh.

The "culture" that has made App so successful also involves finding hidden talent (since we have to recruit in ACC/SEC country) and developing it. I hope these guys understand that recruiting at App is more than monitoring the "stars" and sending out offers. I'm sure they do, but that's the part where a P5 backgrounds might not be an advantage. I'm not trying to pick nits. I'm can't wait to see these guys in action!



ComebackShack
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm



Go Apps!

TomA415
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by TomA415 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Just looking through Harbison’s resume it looks like a home run hire. Now that the staff is complete, I’ve got to say I am beyond impressed with the staff as a whole.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 1412 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm

I am in utter awe of this staff. I’m honestly worried that some secrete millionaire is illegally paying some of these guys under the table.



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Norfolk, VA
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm
I am in utter awe of this staff. I’m honestly worried that some secrete millionaire is illegally paying some of these guys under the table.
Add in the fact that Harbison is a noted recruiter especially in our region. Oh and he was a position coach at the next level last year....Huge!


FREQS AND GEEKS!

User avatar
appfan1991
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by appfan1991 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Coached with Sloan last year at the stink - should be interesting



ComebackShack
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by ComebackShack » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

appfan1991 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Coached with Sloan last year at the stink - should be interesting

That didn’t happen. We covered this haha


Go Apps!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online