Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

Louisville did just fine! Will the fans be patient there? Will be interested to see how SS handles unrealistic short-term expectations of that base.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am
new hire updates imminent...

between now and 8-31
2 of them

swva appfan

Unread post by swva appfan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:57 pm
Andy Lutz’s twitter profile now confirms he is now the Director of Football Operations. Lutz has a ton of experience, mostly at the P5/SEC/ACC level. He was most recently at Georgia Tech. This is a much more important hire than most might know. Looks to be another great hire by Drink. GO APPS!!
Is Andy kin to Bobby? Like to get him here too wink wink nudge nudge...

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am
The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am
new hire updates imminent...

between now and 8-31
2 of them
No announcement until after the coaches have finished their bowl game- So we are down to Senior, Super, and Pro. ;)

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 am
Louisville may be wishing they had brought Drink on instead of Satt.....
Just curious what makes you say this?
Bigger names on App's staff for less money would be my guess.
Bingo. Not a slight on Satt & Co. as we know how good they are/can be. But on the surface, if I am a UL fan, I’m a little jealous of the staff App put together in Satts wake for half the price tag.
The Appalachian State

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 pm
5 hours...
Are there issues finding the right fit? Having to go to backup choices?
Slow HR?
This has certainly been a “process”
I’d be pretty surprised if the two unannounced aren’t already on campus and working with the staff. If they’re not, then my level of concern on Drinks contacts within the business rises exponentially.
The selectees simply won't be announced unless and until all of the admin's "i"s have been dotted and the "t"s crossed.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:55 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 pm
Football scoop say kegan McDaniel is being hired as offensive analyst. Is that different from coach?
Drink is raiding Louisiana Tech. Link and now McDaniel.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Bingo. Not a slight on Satt & Co. as we know how good they are/can be. But on the surface, if I am a UL fan, I’m a little jealous of the staff App put together in Satts wake for half the price tag.
The one thing Scott has is credibility as a head coach. Unfortunately, I think he has a reputation as a Program Builder due to App's transition. But the fact of the matter is that App was likely at a lower point at the beginning of the transition than in 2008. 2013 gave the impression that he came in and had to fix the program which wasn't the case.

App had a foundation firmly in place and Satterfield built on top of that. Louisville is in a similar position but they have done next to nothing since joining the ACC. Pitt was the first Big East team, next to Virginia Tech, to actually win a division in the ACC. He will likely be able to do good work at Louisville but I don't have confidence in Ponce to develop an offense sophisticated enough to hit the Clemson types where they are weak.

Week One Louisville gets Notre Dame. We will see what App's former offense and defense can do with new players.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
The one thing Scott has is credibility as a head coach. Unfortunately, I think he has a reputation as a Program Builder due to App's transition. But the fact of the matter is that App was likely at a lower point at the beginning of the transition than in 2008. 2013 gave the impression that he came in and had to fix the program which wasn't the case.

App had a foundation firmly in place and Satterfield built on top of that. Louisville is in a similar position but they have done next to nothing since joining the ACC. Pitt was the first Big East team, next to Virginia Tech, to actually win a division in the ACC. He will likely be able to do good work at Louisville but I don't have confidence in Ponce to develop an offense sophisticated enough to hit the Clemson types where they are weak.

Week One Louisville gets Notre Dame. We will see what App's former offense and defense can do with new players.
Apparently Scott doesn't have confidence in Ponce either since he named Ledford Offensive Coordinator outright. I thought that was interesting considering the perceived involvement Ponce had with our offense.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appstate35

Unread post by Appstate35 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Roof says we will have 3 down linemen and this also confirms that we are hiring a DL and CB coach. Also love how he put the parentheses in to make sure there was no outrage

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Apparently Scott doesn't have confidence in Ponce either since he named Ledford Offensive Coordinator outright. I thought that was interesting considering the perceived involvement Ponce had with our offense.
I was told that Satterfield was the one controlling the offense, despite what many believed regarding who was calling the plays.
The Appalachian State

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Appstate35 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Roof says we will have 3 down linemen and this also confirms that we are hiring a DL and CB coach. Also love how he put the parentheses in to make sure there was no outrage
So that should settle everyone down regarding him changing our d from 3 down linemen. I can’t wait for next fall!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm

I heard we are going to a 10man front... 1 safety. Try and run on that.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm
Goal line D always works great in Madden!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:47 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Appstate35 wrote:

So that should settle everyone down regarding him changing our d from 3 down linemen. I can’t wait for next fall!

So that sounds like someone on the offense is taking over the RBs if we plan on hiring 2 defense coaches

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

goapps93 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

He did that because he wants to run Drink's offense as well.

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:47 pm
ukappfan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Appstate35 wrote:

So that sounds like someone on the offense is taking over the RBs if we plan on hiring 2 defense coaches
I'm excited for DJ Smith to get going as a position coach. Gasporato and Smith should make quite the tandem with this new blood coming in as well.

I'm hopeful Roof brings in some aggressive 3-4 types. If anyone learned anything from Clemson's game against Alabama, the game should be attack, attack, attack. Always attack. App lacked a killer instinct on offense the past two seasons and that cost the game against Wake and Tennessee. No more running clock with ten minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

I'll Drink to that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:14 pm

appstatealum wrote:
52 Stack Monster.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:29 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Punt Block Defense was a wrinkle I used to use occasionally on regular downs in Madden. I’d take control of the return man in case the QB got a pass off. Maybe we can get Roof to add to the D playbook.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm
goapps93 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

I was told that Satterfield was the one controlling the offense, despite what many believed regarding who was calling the plays.
That is the common theme myself and others have heard as well. I'm 99% sure Satt called the plays and just took input from those guys.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”