Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Football Chick
School: Tennessee

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Football Chick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 am

I think it's unrealistic to think that ASU could be considered for a consistent Top 25 ranking. Tougher competition weekly would not yield the same results as playing in the Sun Belt. Tough market to recruit in and ASU doesn't have the money resources to make that happen. Wishful thinking but don't see it happening from a resource standpoint. Cannot compete with the P5 programs except for an occasional upset here and there.

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 am

I'm just scared our 3-4 is about to become a thing of the past and we'll be losing several defensive players to transfer. Shame we can't see the National Transfer database to see who has put their names in it.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

The most significant thing I gleaned from the presser was that Drink doesn't want to just "house sit" the program. As good as our former coach was, If we just want Drink to be Satt 2.0, we are selling him, and the entire App Nation short. Despite what some believe, we CAN get better and there IS room to grow. How about a Top 20 ranking? A NY6 Bowl? VICTORIES (not just near misses) against ranked, P5 teams (watch out Wisconsin)? How about WINS against UNC, ECU, NCSU, South Carolina, ...(Can you remember the last one?)

Also, we need to be realistic and know that just because our new coach favors our old one in a visor, there are going to be tremendous changes that may temporarily be reflected in our win-loss record and overall performance in 2019. Even with a talented team, it is not unthinkable that we might take a baby step back before taking our next leap forward. If we go 8-4, it will not be Armageddon, just growing pains.

Some thought that when Armanti walked off the snowy field in Montana in 2009, our run was over. Boy, was that not the case. The past four years have given us a great deal of hardware and national respect, and we are now mentioned in the same company as Boise State, UCF, etc...In a few short years we have gone from "just glad to get in an FBS Conference" to one of the top G5 programs in the nation! Success breeds success. Our winning enabled us to hire a Doug Gillen, which led to more winning on a bigger stage, and then garnering interest from perspective coaches that would have never considered us even earlier in this current decade.

Drink understands that our ceiling, like our elevation, is much higher than most. If he needs an entirely new staff to get it done, then so be it. While I don't doubt their sincerity, I'm also not seeing former coaches passing up promotions and raises to remain at dear old App State, so I believe Drink is certainly free to move about the country. It's actually pretty darn exciting thinking about who he might bring in.

During the past few weeks I've seen plenty of photos of former coaches wearing their red shirts and smiling like possums eating s---. They have certainly moved on, and so should we. Let'em go. Reflect fondly on the Satterfield regime, but embrace the new.
Last edited by MAD Doctor on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 am
I'm just scared our 3-4 is about to become a thing of the past and we'll be losing several defensive players to transfer. Shame we can't see the National Transfer database to see who has put their names in it.
Highly doubt we have anyone significant transfer out.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 am
I think it's unrealistic to think that ASU could be considered for a consistent Top 25 ranking. Tougher competition weekly would not yield the same results as playing in the Sun Belt. Tough market to recruit in and ASU doesn't have the money resources to make that happen. Wishful thinking but don't see it happening from a resource standpoint. Cannot compete with the P5 programs except for an occasional upset here and there.
I don't think any of that is unrealistic. But thanks for putting us in our place. We obviously need someone from a P5 to tell us what we are allowed to expect.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:10 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am
The most significant thing I gleaned from the presser was that Drink doesn't want to just "house sit" the program. As good as our former coach was, If we just want Drink to be Satt 2.0, we are selling him, and the entire App Nation short. Despite what some believe, we CAN get better and there IS room to grow. How about a Top 20 ranking? A NY6 Bowl? VICTORIES (not just near misses) against ranked, P5 teams (watch out Wisconsin)? How about WINS against UNC, ECU, NCSU, South Carolina, ...(Can you remember the last one?)

Also, we need to be realistic and know that just because our new coach favors our old one in a visor, there are going to be tremendous changes that may temporarily be reflected in our win-loss record and overall performance in 2019. Even with a talented team, it is not unthinkable that we might take a baby step back before taking our next leap forward. If we go 8-4, it will not be Armageddon, just growing pains.

Some thought that when Armanti walked off the snowy field in Montana in 2009, our run was over. Boy, was that not the case. The past four years have given us a great deal of hardware and national respect, and we are now mentioned in the same company as Boise State, UCF, etc...In a few short years we have gone from "just glad to get in an FBS Conference" to one of the top G5 programs in the nation! Success breeds success. Our winning enabled us to hire a Doug Gillen, which led to more winning on a bigger stage, and then garnering interest from perspective coaches that would have never considered us even earlier in this current decade.

Drink understands that our ceiling, like our elevation, is much higher than most. If he needs an entirely new staff to get it done, then so be it. While I don't doubt their sincerity, I'm also not seeing former coaches passing up promotions and raises to remain at dear old App State, so I believe Drink is certainly free to move about the country. It's actually pretty darn exciting thinking about who he might bring in.

During the past few weeks I've seen plenty of photos of former coaches wearing their red shirts and smiling like possums eating s---. They have certainly moved on, and so should we. Let'em go. Reflect fondly on the Satterfield regime, but embrace the new.
Way too much logic in this post for message board fodder. Well stated.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Football Chick wrote:
This coming from someone whose team has less of a chance at the CFP, much less a NY6 Bowl than App.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Signing these 9 kids today is a huge step in stabilizing the situation. Nest step is filling in the coaching roster and going after some needs for the Feb signing period. It would be a huge mistake for any of our current players to transfer out because of this coaching situation. Drink didn't create this situation, Satt did. Ivey did an awesome job, but he coached ONE game, ONE game using a team that was led and directed by Satt, Brown and Ponce.
If the current players are upset, they should be directing that anger at Satt, Brown and Ponce...not Drink or anyone he brings in as they didn't create the change.
It feels like our 2019 team has the potential to be the greatest team of all time at App and I would think they'd want to be part of that instead of trying to fit into a different program where they have to learn a new system, ride the bench perhaps. The players hopefully will give Drink and his staff a chance once the staff gets in place and settled in. Drink is smart, passionate, and a man of character.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm

asu7 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am
I really wanted Ivey but the players never would have respected Drink if Ivey stayed. I saw it Saturday when they were chanting Ivey and carried him to the middle of the field. It would have been hard for Drink to win them over. Now we ain’t out of the woods. Some players could transfer because of this do just be prepared.

If we hire Roof this hire of Drink turns to drunk and loses its luster.
I’d be surprised if anyone transferred over Ivey not being here. The players, and even us as fans, were caught up in the moment. These players play for App a State, not Ivey. If a kid decides to transfer over this, than they truly did not believe in our culture and I don’t want them here. Like I said in another thread, our culture is built and nurtured by former players, Alumni, fans and current players. It is up to us to maintain it, not a coaching staff.

There will have to be some staff that stay, and those guys will be bought in on Drink and will be tasked with rallying the kids behind him. 2019 will be AWESOME. I watched the presser twice and it is clear that Drink came out of nowhere in this coaching search, but I feel this may be the greatest thing to happen to this program. Just watching him and Gillian, these guys are big time and playing big boy football.

If you dig deep and think about it, a lot of us have ran up to the door with giddy excitement, but we froze on the porch. We are peaking inside, but we are not sure if we actual belong inside yet. DG and Drink have been inside, and they have come outside to prepare us and lead us to step through that doorway. A lot of former players and alumni aren’t comfortable with that though, they know we got to the door on our own and feel like we can bust up into the party without any help. DG has been helping us get some nicer clothes on, comb our hair, trim our beards...and now Drink is is here to straighten our posture, show us how to act to fit in with the big boys, and give us a little swag. Neither of them have come to change who we are, they just came to polish us up so we can be comfortable at the party. These things are necessary, on top of winning, to make it into this “Nationally relevant” FBS party. We have been running around outside in the yard and they have been seeing us out the window, they saw how good we were and invited us inside. I don’t think we will ever lose our “grassroots” edge, it is all over our team messaging, our history, and engrained into our fan base. We need these guys to propel us forward, but we need to show them the App way. Become involved, give to Yosef Club, show up to games and events, throw your Carolina gear in the trash ( :lol: ) and start believing in where this program is going.
The Appalachian State

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Russian troll bot

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Wow. Ok. Well then let's just forget the whole excellence idea, then. Forget goals and let's just maintain the status quo. Hell, let's just go back to FCS. Maybe the SoCon will take us back.
I've never seen so much negativity isn a short paragraph. Negative waves, Moriarty!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Wow. Ok. Well then let's just forget the whole excellence idea, then. Forget goals and let's just maintain the status quo. Hell, let's just go back to FCS. Maybe the SoCon will take us back.
I've never seen so much negativity isn a short paragraph. Negative waves, Moriarty!

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Football Chick wrote:
It's a Tennessee fan, so probably really doesn't care about App's future goals

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Football Chick wrote:

It's just that constant striving for new heights that has gotten us to where we are now. I hope we never forget that.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:48 pm

would Everett Withers be a candidate for our DC since he's currently unemployed? I know he's coached defense and has been a DC at high-level programs, but wasn't sure if he would be a desirable pick based on our scheme.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Just because a school with the seemingly unlimited resources can’t compete in FBS, doesn’t mean App can’t. Culture can’t be bought.
Give 'em hell!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Just because a school with the seemingly unlimited resources can’t compete in FBS, doesn’t mean App can’t. Culture can’t be bought.
Give 'em hell!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 pm
Football Chick wrote:
I don't think any of that is unrealistic. But thanks for putting us in our place. We obviously need someone from a P5 to tell us what we are allowed to expect.
Maybe because her experience is with TN. With all their resources how could a storied P5 like Tennessee not be competing for a national championship every year?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Football Chick wrote:
It's a Tennessee fan, so probably really doesn't care about App's future goals
That explains a lot. Its probably that attitude that has had Tennessee spinning its wheels for the last several years.

Sorry about the multiple posts. Its doing a thing where it does not look like my posts are uploading so I hit the button again.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Football Chick wrote:
Consistent Top 25 is a lot more realistic than a NY6. Had we beaten GASO, we would have cracked the Top 20 before the end of the season. There’s a chance we make it back into the Top 25 this year. If we do so, we would probably open in the Top 25 next year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”