Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am

Coaching staff assignments don't appear to support a 3-4 defense, just an observation, not a criticism. Unless DJ is going to coach all linebacker positions. We have two spots left and don't have a RB or Dline coach, yet. If we were in the 3-4 still, we traditionally had a ILB coach and an OLB coach. So for a 3-4, it seems we would need 3 coaches with only 2 spots remaining.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am
Coaching staff assignments don't appear to support a 3-4 defense, just an observation, not a criticism. Unless DJ is going to coach all linebacker positions. We have two spots left and don't have a RB or Dline coach, yet. If we were in the 3-4 still, we traditionally had a ILB coach and an OLB coach. So for a 3-4, it seems we would need 3 coaches with only 2 spots remaining.
Could Drink coach the RBs and use the remaining 2 spots for defense?

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am
Could Drink coach the RBs and use the remaining 2 spots for defense?
I think that would be the wise decision, 5 defensive coaches since Drink is an O guy. They could combine RBs with TEs, OLine or have Drink cover. Also had thought maybe Gas could cover Safeties and ILBs. Those guys are working in tandem on run support/midfield coverage.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 am

It doesn't appear position assignments have been finalized yet. Let's give it some time to come together. I highly doubt Link's sole responsibility will be Special Teams.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 am

In Coach Drink's tweet announcing Ted Roof, he mentioned Roof will "utilize our players' strengths in a multiple front defense" so it appears there will be some wrinkles in our defensive schemes
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am

Also, I really dig and appreciate Drink doing so much posting on the interwebs. He knows social media is how you get the attention of the younger kids and this type of exposure will do nothing but benefit App and future players looking to don the Black & Gold!
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am
Also, I really dig and appreciate Drink doing so much posting on the interwebs. He knows social media is how you get the attention of the younger kids and this type of exposure will do nothing but benefit App and future players looking to don the Black & Gold!
Satt used to use Twitter a bunch, especially when he was in Toledo and Florida. As his responsibilities grew, it appeared that he used it less and less. I can understand that, and don't hold it against him, but it's nice to see Drink interacting out there on the webs.
Give 'em hell!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am

I'm not knocking our previous coaching staff, those guys were awesome. But, am I right in saying that our new coaching staff has far more NFL experience in both playing themselves and coaching other student athletes that made it to the NFL? If true, that should be a big selling point for potential recruits.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am
appaneer1984 wrote:
Satt used to use Twitter a bunch, especially when he was in Toledo and Florida. As his responsibilities grew, it appeared that he used it less and less. I can understand that, and don't hold it against him, but it's nice to see Drink interacting out there on the webs.

I hope that when he takes full responsibilities during the playing season that he can't find the time for such foolishness and instead delegates it to his assistants and devotes his time to building and winning.
Last edited by NewApp on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:16 am

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am
I'm not knocking our previous coaching staff, those guys were awesome. But, am I right in saying that our new coaching staff has far more NFL experience in both playing themselves and coaching other student athletes that made it to the NFL? If true, that should be a big selling point for potential recruits.
Very true. We are definitely hiring the “been there, done that” coach as opposed to the “up and comer” as Satterfield hired.
If we can afford it, and they are still able to coach at a high level, I’m all for it.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am
appaneer1984 wrote:

I hope that when he takes full responsibilities during the playing season that he can't find the time for such foolishness and instead delegates it to his assistants and devotes his time to building and winning.

Come on, dude. It take 20 seconds to send out a tweet, and less than that to “re-tweet” something.
Like it or not, it is definitely something the student athletes and recruits use constantly and helps keep the coaches seem current and relatable.
Social media is almost part of the job these days and don’t mean you aren’t focused on winning.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 am

Ethan Joyce article on our new coach hire - Junior Adams , in the Winston-Salem Journal - "App State hires former Western Kentucky offensive coordinator Junior Adams as offensive assistant."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... t=headline

I think this staff being assembled is impressive and can't wait to see them operate.
Give Em Hell!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:30 am

The resumes are there , Just Win Baby!

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:57 am

Once the hires are all said and done, who has the better staff, Louisville or Appalachian? I feel like Satterfield made some great hires to complete his staff. But, Drink brought so much experience to Boone that it's impossible to overlook the amount of sideline talent we have for 2019 and beyond. I'm excited for our future. I hope Satt turns Louisville around. It will only shine a brighter light on our program and all of our accomplishments. Go App!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:16 am
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am
Very true. We are definitely hiring the “been there, done that” coach as opposed to the “up and comer” as Satterfield hired.
If we can afford it, and they are still able to coach at a high level, I’m all for it.
Hope the remaining two coaches will be young up and comers. Coaches that have well established connections with HCs from dominate HS programs in SC, GA and AL.

Since Dorsey is relatively new at recuriting and Adams & Link have not been recently working our traditional recruiting grounds, the remaining two position coaches need to have strong connections to SC, GA and AL schools.

More important, is to find quality position coaches that have positive outgoing personalities, ones that build strong relationships and trust with players, and these HS players want to be around.

We want to continue to see young ballers buy-in to the App State "Family" Culture and remain committed during their recuriting process while we improve football facilities and player dorm rooms the next few years. Got to keep the talent pipeline flowing to keep climbing.

Go Apps!.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 am
In Coach Drink's tweet announcing Ted Roof, he mentioned Roof will "utilize our players' strengths in a multiple front defense" so it appears there will be some wrinkles in our defensive schemes
There have been wrinkles since 2013. Those wrinkles in running 4 man fronts with a 202 lb OLB as the end is a quality choice. Ultimately, much like the Chargers did against the Ravens yesterday, speed trumps size at this level. The Chargers played with 7 DBs on the field for 58 defensive snaps, using safeties as their linebackers in their nickel package.

For App, it would be a great waste of talent and eligibility to make anything other than the 3-4 the base of the defense. There are likely to be enough bodies to run a traditional four man front but there won't be quality depth which is what has been relied on since 2015; it has also been an issue (see Miami, 2016).

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 am

I am amazed that there are still so many naysayers on the Roof for DC issue. I don't think we have ever had a DC, or any other coach for that matter, with as much proven P5 experience as Ted Roof. I know we haven't since I started following App my freshman year in 1988. The man has spent an entire career coaching at the highest level of college football at some of the historically elite programs and conferences and has a National Title ring as a DC to boot. It amazes me that Drink was able to bring in a coach with that level of experience to join his staff. Anyone who thinks that a man with his experience and qualifications can't figure out how to best utilize our players is just being short sighted and emotional. He knows more about defense than anyone on this board and most likely anyone that has ever coached that position at App. I am excited about the staff that Drink is putting together and can't wait for next season to get here.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am

The pedigrees of this staff so far are pretty impressive. Great mix of knowledge and experience.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am

How about John Settle for RBs?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:47 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am
How about John Settle for RBs?