Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Boroneer10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:17 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm
Lincoln Riley's brother. Coached with him at ECU.
Only cementing my belief that Baldwin is going to be given a serious look to start this season. This offense is going to be as high octane, or attempt to be, as there has ever been in Boone. If the defense can maintain it's quality and the offense picks up, it's going to be an interesting ride through the Sun Belt.
This guy has gotta be a troll, everything he posts on here is nonsense.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:37 pm

ericsaid wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
Only cementing my belief that Baldwin is going to be given a serious look to start this season. This offense is going to be as high octane, or attempt to be, as there has ever been in Boone. If the defense can maintain it's quality and the offense picks up, it's going to be an interesting ride through the Sun Belt.
I admire that you’re sticking to your guns on the very, very slim chance that you are proven right. At least you have conviction.
Give 'em hell!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Baldwin will be given serious consideration to start only if Zac is injured. He has a lot to learn. Zac had earned the respect of the team and now has a year of experience and confidence under his belt. If Drink is smart he watches a lot of Zac film. Sorry Eric you are dead wrong.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Lol i don’t think ericsaid is a troll, he just thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. Outside of injury there’s literally 0% chance DBG starts. He got beat out for the starting gig at IMG my guy, and by a Southern Miss commit, he ain’t unseating Zac.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:30 pm

I believe our biggest need on offense is a quality back up QB. We didn't really have that in 2018

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Zac looked damn good this past year as a first year starter. I expect his 2nd year along with a known very good QB coach (Drink) mentoring him and calling a lot of plays that capitalize on Zac’s strengths we are going to see a high powered offense never seen in Boone. Zac would have to encounter a major slump to lose to a true Fresh or DBG would have to turn into one helluva phenom to alter this plan. Hard to see either happening.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Lance Ware, Shelby high HC and App alum is joining Drinks staff as senior assistant to the HC. Seems like a solid dude with a good track record, although I’m unsure what that position entails.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 pm

I had the pleasure of sitting with Pat Washington at dinner this evening. I'm thrilled to have him as one of our coaches. Also, here's a cool fact about Coach Stewart. He left school early to pursue his pro career. He went back to school later and finished his degree in 2017.

In his comments at the gathering, Coach Drinkwitz said that the plan is to red shirt Baldwin Griffin. He said very clearly that Zac Thomas is our quarterback.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 pm

ericsaid wrote:
goapps93 wrote:
This post only cements my position that you are Nucking Futs.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Yep, I've heard enough from Drink and those around him that suggests it is Zacs gig until something dramatic happens (injury etc). The playbook he is developing is for Zac. Baldwin will have his chance, but it won't be in 2019.
The Appalachian State

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 am

Zac is expected to be the #1 QB in the SunBelt next year and a top 25 QB in the NCAA. I’m sure Baldwin is great and we will get to see him in the ETSU and UNCC games late 3rd quarter and 4th, but doubt we see him in meaningful playing time unless Zac gets injured.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm
Baldwin will be given serious consideration to start only if Zac is injured. He has a lot to learn. Zac had earned the respect of the team and now has a year of experience and confidence under his belt. If Drink is smart he watches a lot of Zac film. Sorry Eric you are dead wrong.
Are seriously dismissing Derrick and Huesman and Jackson? One of these guys might flourish under the new system and push for some meaningful backup reps.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am

Here’s the deal Zac has proven to be a stud QB in his first year. We can only imagine his upside for the next 3 years. It isn’t like we now have some unknown at QB at this point. Drink & Co are going to try to exploit that to the maximum potential over the next few years. How could anybody think otherwise.

We have known high level performance on one hand vs potential with tremendous unknowns on the other hand. It is easy to see where this is going in the near future.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am
Here’s the deal Zac has proven to be a stud QB in his first year. We can only imagine his upside for the next 3 years. It isn’t like we now have some unknown at QB at this point. Drink & Co are going to try to exploit that to the maximum potential over the next few years. How could anybody think otherwise.

We have known high level performance on one hand vs potential with tremendous unknowns on the other hand. It is easy to see where this is going in the near future.
Next 2 years, but I agree with the thought.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:53 am

Ethan Joyce, App State Football article in The Winston-Salem Journal - "Finally, it appears App State football can focus on the future."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Give Em Hell!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:04 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm
I could be! I'm not going to debate that i'm right or wrong here. I'm only saying that new coaching staff's, NFL and College, generally will recruit a QB (or would like to) that they know can perform the job they need done. I think Baldwin fit's what Drink wants to do down to the last detail. I've previously stated that Thomas clearly has a leg up based on off-season work and one year of starting experience, but it will ultimately come down to how Baldwin performs in August. He may as well be a Redshirt Freshman in the sense of transitioning to a college type atmosphere, moving away from home, and adjusting to live away from family. I believe that will do nothing but help his development. I assume that he will have a playbook through the Spring and Summer to work on from home as well.

The skills are there, the maturity is there. He has some mechanical flaws, as do most College QB's. I like Zach, his toughness and passion for the game makes him and ideal leader. However, I'm not certain he gets the benefit of being declared the starter just based on last season alone. Drink seems like an analytical guy and will likely calculate who the starter is based on performance during the offseason.

Again, we've seen this story many times over. Armanti over Trey, Jamal Jackson over Presley, Lamb over Bryant. It wouldn't be unprecedented for a freshman to come in and surpass the incumbent and what the coaching staff would like to see in the offense. I believe the one thing that Baldwin has that Thomas doesn't is the arm to simply flick his wrist and send the ball 50 yards downfield. Thomas has an arm but it requires space to get the ball out that far. Baldwin has the lefty flick similar to Mike Vick in that the ball seems to just jump from his hand.

But, we will see. It's all conjecture until some work begins and the QB's begin adjusting to a new offense with new language, new practices, new coaches, etc. But based on Drink's reaction to Baldwin's signing, I believe he thinks he found the player he wanted.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am

Sure they will. But they aren't going to bench someone else purely because of experience, unless inexperience leads to poor decision making. Two of the better (if not best) QB's in App's history started as freshmen and performed well, with no experience to speak of, over guys who had quite a bit of experience.

There are plenty of videos with David Baldwin that you can find to evaluate who he is as a person to see that the intangibles are there. then there are the end zone views of his tape where you can see the progression work, something Thomas didn't have to do a lot of in Scott's system. Drink will be running a Pro Style passing scheme which requires the ability to read defenses and move through progressions. Things are about to get far more cerebral on the offensive side of the ball which is an adjustment for all of the players on that side of the ball.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:43 am

ericsaid will be required to show his work from now on.

(When you explain yourself you sound less crazy)
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Presley, Bryant, Elder, etc were not even close to being in same league as Zac Thomas. All those examples are not comparable.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 pm

People forget if Zac doesn't break his leg as a HS senior App doesn't win the recruiting battle versus a P5 school for him.

He makes throws that maybe only two prior App QB starters could make and runs very well when needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”