Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 am
It is certainly feasible but not conducive to running a good program. Each position has a coach so that there is more hands on instruction of technique game prep. You also need coaches to wear many hats other than the position that they are responsible for. Having one guy to coach multiple positions does seem plausible but that means that you have one less coach recruiting, one less mind in the game prep meetings. Also, a great example as to why that isn't ideal is this years bowl game. With Ponce leaving as the QB coach, if he were coaching the QBs and WR groups then you would have to essentially have one guy coaching three positions with such a departure.

I do agree with you that it seems a bit much to have both a safeties and a cornerback coach or both an inside and outside linebackers coach, but the game has evolved into a very technical/specialized machine that needs more supervision and instructors. Just my opinion.
Good points and obviously we need the extra hands on deck. The one position I find funny is the special teams coach. We all cringe when Rubino kicks the ball to the 5 yard line. My take on that position coach is, when special teams makes a great athletic play he is a genius but when the other guy takes a kick back a long way that same genius is terrible. I wonder how much the PSU special teams coach makes? I mean what the heck happened when Evans housed that first kickoff? I personally think that a team can have too many coaches and they get in the way of each other.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 am

Special Teams coaches at the college level also have a primary position. The former holder of that job was also the RB coach. So to answer your initial post, there are instances where someone does multiple positions.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 am

The only place we are going to potentially "save" money is on the offensive side of the ball with Drink being the primary play caller. Based on the things Drink said in his presser, I think keeping Clark is more of a priority for him than keeping Ivey. I think Ivey is first class and important, but I think we are all being prisoners of the moment. As long as Drink brings in someone that understands our strength is a fast, aggressive, and swarming defense and is a "ra ra" type of guy to feed that, then we will be fine. We had no drop off with Woody to Brown because Brown stuck to what we do well. I think anyone that comes in will do the same and Drink has said he will stick with what works and enhance what he can. Going to a multiple front defense is not "changing" what we do, its just adding wrinkles and concepts to better exploit opposing offenses.
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am

Guys, Ivey is gone. He will be at Louisville. That’s a done deal.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm
appbanker wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 pm
Found this on FootballScoop.

http://footballscoop.com/news/scoop-sta ... es-staffs/
It’s blank?
That's because Drink hasn't hired any staff yet. It is a tracking tool, you can also see the other schools, including Louisville to see how Satt is filling out his staff.

Found it interesting that Houston brought almost his entire staff from JMU.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:05 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am
All signs are pointing to this. He really did want to stay and App did want to retain him, but UL came calling with a nice bump in pay and I felt like Drink was sensing the Ivey dynamic could be a problem more than it could be a benefit in putting his own stamp on the program. With the right MONEY, Ivey would have stayed, but it was clear Drink was not going to sacrifice something else to make that happen if it came down to it. He made a point in the presser that he would bring in or keep the guys he felt would best fit our culture and his vision for the program. If he would have to sacrifice bringing in someone he felt would be good to pay Ivey, I don't see him doing that.

This guy seems too smart to mess up the things we are all concerned with, it was clear he covets this position and believes that he can bring our program to new heights.
The Appalachian State

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 am
It is certainly feasible but not conducive to running a good program. Each position has a coach so that there is more hands on instruction of technique game prep. You also need coaches to wear many hats other than the position that they are responsible for. Having one guy to coach multiple positions does seem plausible but that means that you have one less coach recruiting, one less mind in the game prep meetings. Also, a great example as to why that isn't ideal is this years bowl game. With Ponce leaving as the QB coach, if he were coaching the QBs and WR groups then you would have to essentially have one guy coaching three positions with such a departure.

I do agree with you that it seems a bit much to have both a safeties and a cornerback coach or both an inside and outside linebackers coach, but the game has evolved into a very technical/specialized machine that needs more supervision and instructors. Just my opinion.
Good points and obviously we need the extra hands on deck. The one position I find funny is the special teams coach. We all cringe when Rubino kicks the ball to the 5 yard line. My take on that position coach is, when special teams makes a great athletic play he is a genius but when the other guy takes a kick back a long way that same genius is terrible. I wonder how much the PSU special teams coach makes? I mean what the heck happened when Evans housed that first kickoff? I personally think that a team can have too many coaches and they get in the way of each other.
Special teams covers the whole gamut of the kicking game including blocking punts. Overall our special teams were fantastic this year.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 am

App Trail: Louisville officially adds Stu Holt, Dwayne Ledford to coaching staff:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/a ... t=headline
Give Em Hell!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:34 am

Special teams were "Sparky Woods" great [again]

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:05 am
Yosef10 wrote:
All signs are pointing to this. He really did want to stay and App did want to retain him, but UL came calling with a nice bump in pay and I felt like Drink was sensing the Ivey dynamic could be a problem more than it could be a benefit in putting his own stamp on the program. With the right MONEY, Ivey would have stayed, but it was clear Drink was not going to sacrifice something else to make that happen if it came down to it. He made a point in the presser that he would bring in or keep the guys he felt would best fit our culture and his vision for the program. If he would have to sacrifice bringing in someone he felt would be good to pay Ivey, I don't see him doing that.

This guy seems too smart to mess up the things we are all concerned with, it was clear he covets this position and believes that he can bring our program to new heights.
I like Ivey, but if he truely wanted to stay and app wanted to retain him, then he should stay. Sounds like he doesn’t because he wanted more money than we were willing to give. If he wanted to stay that badly he would accept a small bump in pay.
But I mean he probably feels he was passed over for a job he wanted. There is always going to be some resentment from that. It happens in every job. Let him go and we can get someone that will still do a great job with our talent. It’s not stopping him from maybe coming back one day with more experience and be the HC.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 am

appstatealum wrote:
I felt like Drink was sensing the Ivey dynamic could be a problem more than it could be a benefit in putting his own stamp on the program.
This is the sense I'm getting too. It had the potential to disrupt the locker room and cause more damage than it was worth. I fully appreciate everything that the current/former staff has done, but you can tell that many players had a pre-existing loyalty that could have caused problems. Sometimes a clean break is necessary to continue moving forward.
Give 'em hell!

Football Chick
School: Tennessee

Unread post by Football Chick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 am

appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

"Bring our program to new heights?" How could it get any better? This guy has big shoes to fill immediately. Anything less than ten wins will be less than stellar. It's not like he is rebuilding. The program is loaded.

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 am

I agree with some of the comments above. I think that Ivey is a terrific coach, but if I were Drink, I would worry that there would be some discourse between who players report/have allegiance to. Drink is new, so our players are going to have to learn to trust him, just as Drink will have to earn their trust. If Ivey was still around, it would be a parental figure to the team that would comfort them, yes, but would Ivey be able to step away and do his job without interfering with Drink? I think so, but who knows in these kinds of situations.

Listen, when I started my new job, I wanted to know I had a support system to walk into. If any other job were like this one, you damn well bet that I would be recruiting my old peers and colleagues to be joining me, which is what Satt and Drink are both doing. You need those people you trust and can rely on to do the job right. Drink and Ivey had no pre-existing relationship, so Drink feels no allegiance to Ivey, which is totally fair. If Ivey feels that he has been shafted and is looking for a bump in pay, then Louisville is his best choice. App can only pay so much until it gets out of control. Yes, we want to pay everybody at the P5 salary level, but we have to remember that we have limits and we can't rip the foundation out just to keep one person around.

Best of luck to Ivey and every other coach heading to Louisville. I wish them nothing but the best unless App is playing Louisville. Then, I wish them nothing but the worst! Haha!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 am

Well we started a new coaching tree with Jerry Moore. Today we start a new one with Coach D!!!! He's a smart guy. He will get it done. may be the first magna Cum Laude male coach App has ever had!!!

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:38 am

And the first with an FBS National Championship ring, I wonder if he wears that thing on the recruiting trail
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 am

I want Ivey to stay, I think we all do. That being said, can we please confirm that Ted Roof is not being considered...it would make the pill of losing Ivey MUCH easier to swallow. GO APPS!!

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 am

There is APPsolutely no way on earth that Doug Gillin would approve a contract for Ted Roof to be DC. I'd be ok with him Roof being a defensive position coach, but definitely not DC title.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 am

Here's to hoping those hired by Drink are able to keep the same team chemistry. Because, the difference between a championship team and one sitting at home during bowl season is less than most know. Change is uncomfortable for everyone, but it's especially difficult for those who have it hoisted upon them; ie the players. Speaking practically, some continuity would be very good for the players and I'm sure Drink knows this.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

Football Chick wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 am
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

"Bring our program to new heights?" How could it get any better? This guy has big shoes to fill immediately. Anything less than ten wins will be less than stellar. It's not like he is rebuilding. The program is loaded.
Yes, new heights.....

Consistent top 25 ranking
NY6 Bowl
Consecutive wins against P5 programs
Undefeated seasons
Interest for bigger conference

....new heights.....
The Appalachian State

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am

I really wanted Ivey but the players never would have respected Drink if Ivey stayed. I saw it Saturday when they were chanting Ivey and carried him to the middle of the field. It would have been hard for Drink to win them over. Now we ain’t out of the woods. Some players could transfer because of this do just be prepared.

If we hire Roof this hire of Drink turns to drunk and loses its luster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”