Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boca Bowl on a weeknight

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

Boca Bowl on a weeknight

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm

We’ve been fortunate that all four Bowl games have been on a Saturday. I thought we had good turnout Saturday especially given only a 14 day turnaround to finalize travel (I think 5000 might be a more realistic figure than some attendance guesses I saw).

Our wimpy UAB friends who decided against playing us are Fla in 66 degree weather but it would be really hard for most of our fans to attend a Tuesday night game and miss less than 3 work days. I heard many fans say work and family obligations didn’t allow them to go to NOLA. I assume a weeknight game would magnify those issues unless it was perhaps between Christmas and New Year.

I thought NOLA was great. Best template by far of the bowls so far. Not overly expensive, great food, getting to play in the Superdome, made tix available to students, and accessible with budget airlines and Southwest. And playing in prime time on Saturday night on ESPN.

Apptrain

Re: Boca Bowl on a weeknight

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Watching this game and UAB( who lost big to MTSU then rebounded to barely beat them in CUSA championship) is stomping Northern Illinois 34-13 in the third. We stomped MTSU with everything we had going on. Just how good were we? I say pretty damn good!

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 pm

There’s a reason UAB decided to go all the way to Boca and it’s not just the weather. 360 miles from UAB to NOLA. over 750 miles to Boca. But who could blame them for not wanting to play App!
Last edited by wncapp78 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm

It was their only shot a a bowl win. Wasn’t gonna happen in the dome.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 pm

NIU is playing like cold garbage. Their oline is like a sieve and they can’t hold onto the ball to save their lives.
Give 'em hell!

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm

I musta missed it. I do not blame them for not taking a butt whupping by App State in NOLA, but Why did UAB get a choice of which bowl they went to?
Give Em Hell!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm
I musta missed it. I do not blame them for not taking a butt whupping by App State in NOLA, but Why did UAB get a choice of which bowl they went to?
Conference USA Bowl Ties

Highest ranked team from AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl.

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

– Boca Raton Bowl vs. American Athletic
– Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
– Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Big 12
– Camping World Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm
We’ve been fortunate that all four Bowl games have been on a Saturday. I thought we had good turnout Saturday especially given only a 14 day turnaround to finalize travel (I think 5000 might be a more realistic figure than some attendance guesses I saw).

Our wimpy UAB friends who decided against playing us are Fla in 66 degree weather but it would be really hard for most of our fans to attend a Tuesday night game and miss less than 3 work days. I heard many fans say work and family obligations didn’t allow them to go to NOLA. I assume a weeknight game would magnify those issues unless it was perhaps between Christmas and New Year.

I thought NOLA was great. Best template by far of the bowls so far. Not overly expensive, great food, getting to play in the Superdome, made tix available to students, and accessible with budget airlines and Southwest. And playing in prime time on Saturday night on ESPN.
We definitely had more than 5k, but I’d be hard pressed to say we had more than 10k.

New Orleans was awesome. Period. Already looking forward to next year, if we don’t get an NY6 that is.
The Appalachian State

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm
wncapp78 wrote:

We definitely had more than 5k, but I’d be hard pressed to say we had more than 10k.

New Orleans was awesome. Period. Already looking forward to next year, if we don’t get an NY6 that is.
Each section in the lower level is 770 seats (35 rows x 22 people). If everyone in the lower, including the band filled up 6 sections (which they probably wouldn't have), that would be 4620. We might have had 500-800 in the Club Level. Hence, 5K is probably generous.

We were loud, and had a much better attendance than MTSU. But, I would guess that we were closer to 4K in Black and Gold.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 am

Apptrain wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm
Just how good were we? I say pretty damn good!
We'll never know. It's disappointing really.

I wish the Belk Bowl would take us as an at large bid against a local ACC or SEC team . Ticket sales would be huge and it would be an easy promotion for television.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 am
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm
wncapp78 wrote:

Each section in the lower level is 770 seats (35 rows x 22 people). If everyone in the lower, including the band filled up 6 sections (which they probably wouldn't have), that would be 4620. We might have had 500-800 in the Club Level. Hence, 5K is probably generous.

We were loud, and had a much better attendance than MTSU. But, I would guess that we were closer to 4K in Black and Gold.
True. A guy that was in my group sat up in the club level, and I was below him, we estimated that we would have filled up the entire "home side" plus a little more. I estimated us at 6k to 7k and MTSU at 2k tops an another few hundred to 1k casual observers from the fun run/community.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm
87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm
Conference USA Bowl Ties

Highest ranked team from AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl.

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

– Boca Raton Bowl vs. American Athletic
– Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
– Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Big 12
– Camping World Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.
I don't love the locations but their tie-ins are a World away from the Sun Belt's. Sun Belt league office has some work to do to cement the Sun Belt's place over C-USA in revenue, competition, and bowl tie-ins.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 am
Apptrain wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm
Just how good were we? I say pretty damn good!
We'll never know. It's disappointing really.

I wish the Belk Bowl would take us as an at large bid against a local ACC or SEC team . Ticket sales would be huge and it would be an easy promotion for television.
App getting Wake in the Belk Bowl would likely draw 50,000. filling the entire lower bowl and parts of the upper.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:33 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm
App getting Wake in the Belk Bowl would likely draw 50,000. filling the entire lower bowl and parts of the upper.
Or App vs. UNC in the Belk Bowl that would draw thous ... er ... wait, the Heels did not qualify for a bowl this year. Never mind.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:45 pm

This was UAB's first ever bowl win. No wonder they picked this game. I don't blame them.

We should never lose sight of how special it is to have 4 bowl wins in our first 4 years of eligibility.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”