Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football scheduling

goapps93

Re: Football scheduling

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm

There are currently 120 FBS teams. How about we have 12 10 team conferences, no divisions, 9 conference games + 3 OOC(no FCS games), no conference championship game. 12 champs get auto bid, 4 wildcards in 16 team playoff. It will never happen due to current makeup and money but may be one of the better ways to determine a national champion in a sport that is almost impossible to do it fairly. Hardest part is how to create new conferences. Quite frankly, I'm not that obsessed with there having to be an outright national champ. I just like to watch good football and see the Mountaineers win.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:42 pm
Yes, all that math is over simplified but the point remains the same.
I'm not disputing any of that.... My saying they earned it is that they have gone undefeated and if they want to call school's out and turn games down then so be it. I wish them continued success and hope that we can be in that same boat one day. In the end you are right, money is money....but UCF isn't willing to put a price on their dignity at this point. Anyways.... Merry Christmas!

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm
There are currently 120 FBS teams. How about we have 12 10 team conferences, no divisions, 9 conference games + 3 OOC(no FCS games), no conference championship game. 12 champs get auto bid, 4 wildcards in 16 team playoff. It will never happen due to current makeup and money but may be one of the better ways to determine a national champion in a sport that is almost impossible to do it fairly. Hardest part is how to create new conferences. Quite frankly, I'm not that obsessed with there having to be an outright national champ. I just like to watch good football and see the Mountaineers win.
130 FBS teams
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:20 pm

97APP wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm
130 FBS teams
My googler must be broken. We'll just relagate 10 teams to keep the math easy.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 am
Lest we forget, UCF was 0-12 not long ago and their historical performance suggests that they are in a peak right now. They will return to their baseline relatively soon.
That 0-12 was a massive outlier, as you presumably know. They beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl not long before that, and of course beat Auburn last year. But of course people can keep throwing out the “they’d get crushed by (playoff team X)” line, and as long as they aren’t allowed in, there’s no way to disprove it.

Hey guess what, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan State and others have all been blown out in CFP or BCS games recently. Yet no one seems to mind letting them back in.
It could be argued that the Fiesta Bowl was an outlier prior to this two year run happening. UCF was far more inline with their average prior to the Fiesta Bowl and 0-12 season. They were decent but never heads and shoulders above any conference team with C-USA. I'm still not convinced that they are that much better after watching them struggle with Memphis; that struggle with Memphis is likely the cause of them not being considered as highly for the CFP.

The issue is twofold: $$$$$ and talent. Presumably, and rightfully so, UCF isn't as talented as those teams. Their odds of winning are likely less than the other options and that is generally backed up by statistics. While UCF could compete, it will be just as interesting to see them playing LSU and you know that they still have a bad taste from losing to Troy.

We will see what UCF looks like facing a SEC team in a position to actually care about the bowl game since there was no let down in the conference championship game like Auburn had. I'm not of the mindset that Auburn was simply disinterested, but they didn't have the same motivation as UCF and played like a deflated balloon which can be attributed to losing to Georgia.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Lest we forget, UCF was 0-12 not long ago and their historical performance suggests that they are in a peak right now. They will return to their baseline relatively soon.
That 0-12 was a massive outlier, as you presumably know. They beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl not long before that, and of course beat Auburn last year. But of course people can keep throwing out the “they’d get crushed by (playoff team X)” line, and as long as they aren’t allowed in, there’s no way to disprove it.

Hey guess what, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan State and others have all been blown out in CFP or BCS games recently. Yet no one seems to mind letting them back in.
It could be argued that the Fiesta Bowl was an outlier prior to this two year run happening. UCF was far more inline with their average prior to the Fiesta Bowl and 0-12 season. They were decent but never heads and shoulders above any conference team with C-USA. I'm still not convinced that they are that much better after watching them struggle with Memphis; that struggle with Memphis is likely the cause of them not being considered as highly for the CFP.

The issue is twofold: $$$$$ and talent. Presumably, and rightfully so, UCF isn't as talented as those teams. Their odds of winning are likely less than the other options and that is generally backed up by statistics. While UCF could compete, it will be just as interesting to see them playing LSU and you know that they still have a bad taste from losing to Troy.

We will see what UCF looks like facing a SEC team in a position to actually care about the bowl game since there was no let down in the conference championship game like Auburn had. I'm not of the mindset that Auburn was simply disinterested, but they didn't have the same motivation as UCF and played like a deflated balloon which can be attributed to losing to Georgia.
If they win or lose close, people with your viewpoint will just say the opponent didn't care, or was overrated, or whatever.

If they get blown out (playing without their starting QB mind you), the same people will say that proves they didn't belong.

You can't convince people who have their minds made up.

But if you seriously think they're not in the playoff because they played ONE close game... I don't know what to tell you.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm

ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

As to their historical average, they've only been FBS a little over 20 years. It's not surprising it took them a little while to start winning double digit games with regularity. Not everybody can be App State, after all.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm
appvette wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:42 pm
Yes, all that math is over simplified but the point remains the same.
I'm not disputing any of that.... My saying they earned it is that they have gone undefeated and if they want to call school's out and turn games down then so be it. I wish them continued success and hope that we can be in that same boat one day. In the end you are right, money is money....but UCF isn't willing to put a price on their dignity at this point. Anyways.... Merry Christmas!
But you said UF is running from them. I'm saying UF declined them as a sound business decision. Big difference.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:35 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm
ericsaid wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

As to their historical average, they've only been FBS a little over 20 years. It's not surprising it took them a little while to start winning double digit games with regularity. Not everybody can be App State, after all.
The point remains. Their baseline is obviously around 6 to 8 wins. I expect them to return to that, similar to how Oregon did after Chip Kelly left. They will return back to their historical average.

Boise State on the other hand simply kept moving, similar to App. Their average is how they've been performing since they moved up. The foundation was laid and they simply continue to build on it. The only thing App is missing since becoming FBS is winning the Wake, Tennessee, and Penn State games. I can't be sure until it happens, but I feel that Drink is the guy to get App over that hump as well.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Speaking of Boise State and scheduling, I bet Drink gets Boise State on the schedule with him being a former coordinator and his relationship with Harsin. It would be awesome to get a home and home with them, though I can't stand watching games played on their field.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Interesting, we've played Boise State only once. In the 1994 FCS playoffs, our quarterback...Scott Satterfield. Mark Ivey and Sean Elliot were on that team, as well as Dexter Coakley and Matt Stevens.

brocktune90

Unread post by brocktune90 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 pm

I'd love a game in Boise! As an Oregon resident, I'm missing those Idaho games. It's only a 7 hour drive to Boise!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm
Interesting, we've played Boise State only once. In the 1994 FCS playoffs, our quarterback...Scott Satterfield. Mark Ivey and Sean Elliot were on that team, as well as Dexter Coakley and Matt Stevens.
I can give you a play by play on that one....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”