Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Disregard post

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: VERY worried about the state of our recruiting class this year.

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm
We'll be fine. We've never been a magnet for blue chips and have managed well despite it.
And we are a top 25 level program. That’s PROGRAM

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 pm

If we were to have a horrible recruiting class this would be the year to have one. Even if it did turn out to be that. We have a lot of youth and strong team in place. Now 2 bad classes in a row would be a huge problem.
I am very optimistic with the future of the program.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Check the numerous P5 offers from these signees. I haven't looked at all of kids yet, but I've seen three so far with multiple ACC offers. Smaller classes don't seem to land high in conference recruiting rankings ever.

This is NOT a bad class by any stretch. Disappointing to lose three at the 11th hour, but those were all to P5s. Nothing to worry about except the DC hire.

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

It’s not very accurate to to go off G5 recruiting rankings. These are mostly 2 and 3 star recruits and there are so many of them that the online services can’t accurately rank thousands of high school players all across the nation.

As previously mentioned, offer lists are a better way to evaluate how we did.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:54 pm

We were going to have a small class to begin with so it's not like we are Louisville with just 4 signers. If you look at our average score, we rank third in the Belt behind UL and Troy. Moreover, we will certainly add to our class come February.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Quality trumps quantity here.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm

At skill positions of RB and REC, we are ok with the class age of our current roster. A QB that can effectively run the offense is a strong MUST. As an earlier post said we are an injury away at QB from taking some losses like the GSU game. Putting that on our Santa's list. Need a Stout type player, not sure we have one on radar. DBs would be nice too.

Where do we stand with a QB? Could we get a falloff or late qualifier, or Fields or Hurts? :roll:
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Isn’t it remotely possible that one of the current backups actually improves by next fall? That Stink game had problem written all over it: Thursday night, road game, short week, bad weather, good opponent, fierce rival, pressure of being ranked...THEN we lost our best defender early on and then we lost our QB. How much practice did we actually have on the short travel week? How many reps did any backup QB get? How many good teams playing another good team could overcome that?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Isn’t it remotely possible that one of the current backups actually improves by next fall? That Stink game had problem written all over it: Thursday night, road game, short week, bad weather, good opponent, fierce rival, pressure of being ranked...THEN we lost our best defender early on and then we lost our QB. How much practice did we actually have on the short travel week? How many reps did any backup QB get? How many good teams playing another good team could overcome that?
This^^^^

One poorly played game under numerous bad conditions does not a playing career make.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm

The problem with going off “offers” is are they actually committable offers. P5s throw “offers” around like candy by the hundreds. It’s a good indicator but just because someone has an offer at West Virginia or wherever and they sign with App does not at all necessarily mean they could have signed with West Virginia.
Twitter: @RankAppState

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:34 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
I agree. Also, If I remember correctly, there were a ton of penalties on us for that game, hard for an offense to get into a rhythm with false starts and there were also some catch-able balls that were missed. Seems like we haven't put any of the blame on the coaches for not having the backups prepared to step in. Maybe the game plan was poorly conceived.
Also, Duck muffed that punt, which should have been an interference call, which led to a quick score by GS which had nothing to do with the backup QBs. Plus, we were just a couple of weeks out from Jalin going down and I'm sure the running backs were getting extra attention.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
It is a remote chance, but as of today we need an effective backup.
BLACK SATURDAY

jaykisz

Unread post by jaykisz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:12 pm

MY OPINION ABOUT RECRUITING THE HIGH RANKED PLAYERS GOING TO BIG SCHOOLS FLIP ALSO.........I HAVE SEEN NO 1 PLAYERS FLIP THE DAY OF SIGNING . TAKE A BREATH AND LET THE SYSTEM PLAY OUT. AS LONG AS WE GET QUALITY PLAYERS THAT CAN BE COACHED I THINK WE WILL BE FINE..........

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Another freshly minted App State football expert. Why all the troll bots?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:49 pm

FTE_rawr wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 am
Ya'll forgive me, im all over the internet this morning and everything I'm seeing is worrying the hell out of me.

Were ranked 9th in the SBC when it comes to this years recruiting, regardless of our successes.

We just lost the guy who (I'm pretty sure) was supposed to be the guy to replace Zac when he graduates.

Pretty much all of our top prospects flipped as well.

I'm trying not to panic, and I know we've got a good team here now, but what do we do? We can't afford to skimp a year on recruiting.

EDIT: The rest of the SBC is getting some REALLY good talent.
Another freshly minted App State football expert who obviously doesn't know the school or the conference. Why all the troll bots?

FTE_rawr

Unread post by FTE_rawr » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

fjblair wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:49 pm
FTE_rawr wrote:
Ya'll forgive me, im all over the internet this morning and everything I'm seeing is worrying the hell out of me.

Were ranked 9th in the SBC when it comes to this years recruiting, regardless of our successes.

We just lost the guy who (I'm pretty sure) was supposed to be the guy to replace Zac when he graduates.

I'm trying not to panic, and I know we've got a good team here now, but what do we do? We can't afford to skimp a year on recruiting.

Another freshly minted App State football expert who obviously doesn't know the school or the conference. Why all the troll bots?
Sigh. Youre welcome to look up my username on Reddit. Its where I post most of the time.

Because god forbid I dont mindlessly believe that every decision we make is the right one
---------------------------------------------
Class of '19

Mainly a reddit user, skimming message boards for App News.

Come talk at /r/CFB and /r/sunbelt

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 pm

FTE_rawr wrote:

There is no need to panic. To address your points.

1. We are low in the recruiting rankings based on sheer volume of recruits. We only had 13 spots and we filled 9 of them today, We are going to have roughly the same amount of spots next year.

2. NO one that is brought in is anointed the next guy role. It is earned and the guy that we lost wasn't willing to earn it.

3. Of course our top prospects flipped. This happens every year and it is the nature of being a G5 school. This is not a unique issue to us as it happens to everyone else as well.

4. There is no reason to panic. We have the February signing period to grab a few more good players along with Tucker, who should sign in February.

5. And as for the Really good players that the other SB teams are signing, how do you know that they are better than what we brought in. Have you scouted them or are you going off rankings?

We will be fine. No need to panic.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
It is a remote chance, but as of today we need an effective backup.
Why do we need an effective backup today? We don’t play again until next fall. I understand your point but my point is a guy can improve with Spring practice and camp.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:12 pm

I base my concerns more on the CCU game than Southern. We won but it was an ugly struggle .And CCU wasn’t very strong . Good point though about Drink working with 7 and 13 over the next year , maybe they take a big step forward.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 pm

I read the bios on the recruits in Ethan Joyce Article. Looks like some good ones to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”