Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Disregard post

ukappfan
School: Appalachian State

Re: VERY worried about the state of our recruiting class this year.

Unread post by ukappfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 pm

These recruits are solid. They were recruited by Satt and the staff. New coach also flipped a UNC commit. We are going to be fine. We are stacked.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 am

jaykisz wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:12 pm
MY OPINION ABOUT RECRUITING THE HIGH RANKED PLAYERS GOING TO BIG SCHOOLS FLIP ALSO.........I HAVE SEEN NO 1 PLAYERS FLIP THE DAY OF SIGNING . TAKE A BREATH AND LET THE SYSTEM PLAY OUT. AS LONG AS WE GET QUALITY PLAYERS THAT CAN BE COACHED I THINK WE WILL BE FINE..........
No need to yell, bruh....good point, we hear you nice and clear.
The Appalachian State

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 am

What's to worry it's Appalachian.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am

The average rating is .8119 which is up from .78 during the last recruiting cycle. The quantity isn't there for App to recruit so it looks like they got some quality guys. Also, don't be fooled by the other Sun Belt recruits, particularly as it relates to Louisiana, Arkansas State, and Troy. The latter two have several JuCo players with inflated ratings and their offers aren't exactly mind blowing. Louisiana has a solid class with most being high school recruits; some have P5 offers but some of their higher rated guys only have offers from FCS schools.

Ultimately, the scheme is what is important. Drink seems to be the type of coach to highlight the ability of the players he has, much like Satterfield. App will be more than fine with this class. I assume more recruiting will be done up until February. What happens between now and the last signing day will give a solid indication of the ability of Drink and the staff he brings on.

I, for one, expect this new energy in the program to be helpful rather than hurtful.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 am

Coastal had two "solid" commits flip to p5 for signing day. Happens to all.
Bring Your A Game!

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Wyatt Tunall will be hating life next year when UNC takes a whoopin' from us! Mack Brown will not work that miracle turnaround. 2019 gives us a legitimate chance to beat two P5 programs if we play to our full potential. We were much better than both those programs this year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:56 pm

i do think we would have taken the Heels down , not too sure about SC. Can we , yes. Will we......?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:56 pm
i do think we would have taken the Heels down , not too sure about SC. Can we , yes. Will we......?
My personal belief is that we were going to go 10-2 this year if Satt returned. I thought we would beat UNC and lose to South Carolina with the only other loss coming against Troy. It will be interesting to see if Drink can improve upon that. I will be 100% thrilled if we somehow go 11-1 and sweep the SBC. Then win the SBC title game and a bowl game and finish ranked.

We could possibly go undefeated and depending on how others do have a shot at a NY5 bowl. Just going 13-0 won't get us in one unless we are the only undefeated G5 team.

UCF will be the pick if they go undefeated again but none of that matters if we don't beat ETSU in week one so I hope our focus as a team right now is 100% on beating ETSU. Take it one game at a time and we should be just fine.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 pm
Wyatt Tunall will be hating life next year when UNC takes a whoopin' from us! Mack Brown will not work that miracle turnaround. 2019 gives us a legitimate chance to beat two P5 programs if we play to our full potential. We were much better than both those programs this year.
I thought all of our commits who flipped to P5s made a mistake except for DJ Williams. Nelson is likely going to sit 3 years at Miami before he starts. We would have put him on the field at 280 but I imagine Miami won't do that. Tunall won't like UNC nearly as much as he would like Boone. I think Conley blew it going to Louisville because while I think they will improve I believe he will possibly have a rough year in 2019 but you never know. Perhaps Satt will win 8 games and he will be an All-ACC QB. Only time will tell. I could be wrong on thinking all but one made a mistake.

One thing I do have 100% confidence in is that we got a good group in the first signing period and I'm pretty sure that Drink will sign 3 or more in February.

Does anyone know exactly how many more we can sign? My guess would be 5 or 6 with Hicks gone.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 am

ukappfan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 pm
These recruits are solid. They were recruited by Satt and the staff. New coach also flipped a UNC commit. We are going to be fine. We are stacked.
Nonsense. We are supposed to be VERY worried :lol:

The hysteria. The drama. Somebody throw us a lifeline.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:53 am

0-12

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:12 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 am
ukappfan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 pm
Nonsense. We are supposed to be VERY worried :lol:

The hysteria. The drama. Somebody throw us a lifeline.
I thought our signings were very good. At least 3 or 4 of the 9 are probably good enough to play as true freshmen but I don't know if we will need them to. Maybe the DT and one of the skill guys perhaps will play? It will be interesting to see if several just play 4 games or less or if we see 1 or 2 of them all year long.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:40 am

I could care less about ranks and/or a recruit's stars. What matters is wins & effort.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:44 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 pm
I thought all of our commits who flipped to P5s made a mistake except for DJ Williams. Nelson is likely going to sit 3 years at Miami before he starts. We would have put him on the field at 280 but I imagine Miami won't do that. Tunall won't like UNC nearly as much as he would like Boone. I think Conley blew it going to Louisville because while I think they will improve I believe he will possibly have a rough year in 2019 but you never know. Perhaps Satt will win 8 games and he will be an All-ACC QB. Only time will tell. I could be wrong on thinking all but one made a mistake.

One thing I do have 100% confidence in is that we got a good group in the first signing period and I'm pretty sure that Drink will sign 3 or more in February.

Does anyone know exactly how many more we can sign? My guess would be 5 or 6 with Hicks gone.
Conley will be lucky to start once Satt get's after the type of QB he can get at Louisville. I actually think that offensively, and for a QB, App is now a more desirable landing spot than it was under Satterfield. Conley may have made a mistake but it won't be because of growing pains. He would have had an opportunity here to showcase his talent whereas Louisville will likely take the same approach we saw this season once Sun Belt play got underway.

It will also be a desirable spot considering we have Cam Newton's former QB Coach as a QB Coach at App. That is a huge deal and I hope that the recruiting staff can really sell the fact that Dorsey is in Boone.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Regarding Zion Nelson, I predict he’ll become a standout player for Miami and have a long and productive career in the NFL.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:34 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:25 pm
Regarding Zion Nelson, I predict he’ll become a standout player for Miami and have a long and productive career in the NFL.
I could see that for him. I just think he will have to sit a few years before he plays and he would have played as a redshirt freshman at App most likely. Players want to play more than anything 90% of the time.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 pm
Stonewall wrote:
My personal belief is that we were going to go 10-2 this year if Satt returned. I thought we would beat UNC and lose to South Carolina with the only other loss coming against Troy. It will be interesting to see if Drink can improve upon that. I will be 100% thrilled if we somehow go 11-1 and sweep the SBC. Then win the SBC title game and a bowl game and finish ranked.

We could possibly go undefeated and depending on how others do have a shot at a NY5 bowl. Just going 13-0 won't get us in one unless we are the only undefeated G5 team.

UCF will be the pick if they go undefeated again but none of that matters if we don't beat ETSU in week one so I hope our focus as a team right now is 100% on beating ETSU. Take it one game at a time and we should be just fine.
What is your reasoning for us losing to Troy? South Carolina I cant argue at this point that we may take a loss to an SEC team. My reasoning is we were 10 points plus better than every team in the Sun Belt that we played this year, even The Gumroots even though we lost because of injury to our QB. With the majority of our starters returning, APP is going to field the best team in history as long as we stay healthy.
BLACK SATURDAY

appyirish

Unread post by appyirish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Article about Coach Roof as DC at Minnesota in 2008. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twinci ... -roof/amp/

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 pm
Stonewall wrote:

What is your reasoning for us losing to Troy? South Carolina I cant argue at this point that we may take a loss to an SEC team. My reasoning is we were 10 points plus better than every team in the Sun Belt that we played this year, even The Gumroots even though we lost because of injury to our QB. With the majority of our starters returning, APP is going to field the best team in history as long as we stay healthy.
You have to remember that Brown is returning to Troy and that was a huge win for them. He has done a great job and had them playing very well against a pretty good Buffalo team in the bowl game. They will be hosting us in the middle of the week with revenge in mind. Same as we will for GSU in 2019. It would not shock me if we lost to Troy in a close one and beat GSU by about 20 points. I'm not picking us to be and I hope (and expect) us to win but I could see a loss because of those reasons.

As far as our team we do have the potential to be our best ever for sure and be a legit top 20 team in the entire country but we our staff and players still must take it one game at a time. Hopefully everyone learned the lesson in the GSU loss when we were ranked and got our butts beat. Nothing is given and we have to earn it. We had not earned that ranking during the year but I believe we truly can this year. I actually don't want to be ranked in the preseason but would like to see us very close with a win over UNC putting us in there. Regardless, we can't lose a single game or we will not be ranked unless the Gamecocks are a top 20 team and it is a very close loss. We have to sweep the SBC and win all non P5 OOC games just to have a shot to keep any ranking we may get early.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:42 pm

appyirish wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm
Article about Coach Roof as DC at Minnesota in 2008. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twinci ... -roof/amp/
The thing is, the defense needs to be sustained, not necessarily improved. While there is always room for improvement, at this point, the need is in nuance and not an overhaul.

It will be interesting to see which approach they take, but with all of the experience returning, I'd hope they try to maintain as much of the existing defense as possible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”