Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Playoff expansion coming??

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Playoff expansion coming??

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:57 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:19 pm
No way a formal relegation happens in college football. There’s too much money to be made at the top to risk it. Tennessee, Texas, and UNC have all had mediocre seasons in the past couple of years that could have dropped them down, and if you think schools like that would ever take a chance that they would end up in “FCS”, then pass the pipe.

Fact is, App has a legitimate avenue to a NY6 bowl. There can be no mistakes along the way, no slip up, no off night - but it can happen. However, I believe it is next to impossible to make the actual playoff as it stands now. Nor do I think we would ever be in a position to have a legitimate beef about it, based on team strength. I believe this program can grow into a perineal conference champion, and a significant disrupter, but a top 4 playoff team just appears out of reach to me. And I’m ok with that right now. It’s not the ideal, but it is the world in which we live and play.
Yeah but, the point of this thread is that the winds are possibly shifting to an 8 team playoff and perhaps even a 16 team playoff after that. What would you think our chances are for making an 8 team playoff, assuming there's a legit path for a G5? There are also intermediate steps, like a 10 team selection with top 2 getting byes, etc...

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:41 pm

According to Taylor Zarar and Greg McElroy on the First Team had we beaten PSU and GaSo this year we would have had a more compelling resume to be in the 4 team playoff this year vs UCF resume. That is how legit us getting into an 8 or more team playoff. App State is building respect and needs to continue the success and who knows what can happen from there. Are we a national title contender? Not yet but a solid top 25 yes and still growing.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:41 pm
According to Taylor Zarar and Greg McElroy on the First Team had we beaten PSU and GaSo this year we would have had a more compelling resume to be in the 4 team playoff this year vs UCF resume. That is how legit us getting into an 8 or more team playoff. App State is building respect and needs to continue the success and who knows what can happen from there. Are we a national title contender? Not yet but a solid top 25 yes and still growing.
McElroy also doesn't like auto-bids though, especially a G5 auto. I kind of agree. It should be the best 4 or 8 or however many. If there was just a fool proof way to figure that out.
WE ARE YOSEF!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:36 pm

College Football could go back to Regional conferences.....Unfortunately for us it could be 8 or 9 team conferences with Round Robin Play and the conference Champ gets the playoff spot. I think UNC and NCState would vote for that format. ACC Champ Still matters even if the first round is lost. The scary part of the format is would we get in a conference if 8 9-team conferences were created out of existing FBS schools. Hopefully it would be 10 or 12 conferences of 8 or 9 teams.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:46 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:48 pm
I feel an 8-team playoff would require getting rid of FBS conference title games. And the only way that happens is if the money made from an 8-team playoff dwarfs the CCG money, especially for the SEC.
The SEC and the networks are in full propaganda mode just listen to a game or advertisement and they are sure to tell everyone listening they are the best...just look at signing day...the rich get richer. They are the best as of recent years as college football has grown into a money printing machine for them. Go to an 8 team playoff, how many more SEC teams would fit into that this year?...half? Kinda like the CAA teams years ago in the FCS playoffs..lol

I'm in the camp of letting the G5 settle a title among ourselves, not sure any of us will ever see a G5 in the 4 team or 8 team playoff.
BLACK SATURDAY

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:57 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:19 pm
No way a formal relegation happens in college football. There’s too much money to be made at the top to risk it. Tennessee, Texas, and UNC have all had mediocre seasons in the past couple of years that could have dropped them down, and if you think schools like that would ever take a chance that they would end up in “FCS”, then pass the pipe.

Fact is, App has a legitimate avenue to a NY6 bowl. There can be no mistakes along the way, no slip up, no off night - but it can happen. However, I believe it is next to impossible to make the actual playoff as it stands now. Nor do I think we would ever be in a position to have a legitimate beef about it, based on team strength. I believe this program can grow into a perineal conference champion, and a significant disrupter, but a top 4 playoff team just appears out of reach to me. And I’m ok with that right now. It’s not the ideal, but it is the world in which we live and play.
Yeah but, the point of this thread is that the winds are possibly shifting to an 8 team playoff and perhaps even a 16 team playoff after that. What would you think our chances are for making an 8 team playoff, assuming there's a legit path for a G5? There are also intermediate steps, like a 10 team selection with top 2 getting byes, etc...
I'm not holding my breath. Not as long as we're in the Sun Belt. I'd think we'd have to run the gauntlet for a few seasons, taking down P5 teams in the process. Even then teams from the AAC and MW are probably going to have a seat at the table before we do. UCF, Boise State, Fresno State and a few others will have a say before we do. I think at the moment, the only way we sniff a playoff berth is in the unlikely idea that the FBS adopts something like a 12-team field where the conference champions get an automatic bid and then fill the rest in with at-large bids. Outside of that, I don't see it happening outside of a 3-season performance which is nothing short of a juggernaut.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Only in conversation due to TCU, UCF, Baylor, and Boise State years ago. Keep pressure on with win and undefeated seasons. May help ASU in the future . GO UCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to see actual playoff in future of ASU

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 am

I'd like to see 6, and at the most 8. Give each P5 conf champ an auto bid...the rest could go to highest G5 conf champs. I want to protect the integrity of the regular season. Don't want 2nd place at large P5 teams in it.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 am

I think it'll help our case for G5 representation in an expanded playoff structure if UCF beats, or at least is competitive with, LSU. We can be the next UCF. The Sun Belt of today is not the Sun Belt of yesterday and we are getting more and more attention, 2019 could be a breakout year as far as the national stage is concerned.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Sooners *might* escape with the win...
16 team scenario that pays respect to App State

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... e-for-2019

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”