Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Top 25 ranking?

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:51 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:38 pm
I’m quite aware that if “if’s” and “buts” were candy and nuts.... but imagine how high we would have climbed if not for that abomination in Gnatsboro.
Assuming that and we do everything else the same after then probably right next to Fresno State either 1-2 spots ahead or 1 spot behind them.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 pm

We can talk about the abomination all we want fact still remains that Southern won 10 games, including their bowl and got votes in both polls this season Our losses, really shouldn't look that bad to any right thinking voter

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:48 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 pm
We can talk about the abomination all we want fact still remains that Southern won 10 games, including their bowl and got votes in both polls this season Our losses, really shouldn't look that bad to any right thinking voter
Just saying starting at 25 and add the last six 6 wins including SBC and Bowl, we wouldn’t be debating if, but how high.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
GSU then lost twice after that. They haven't received votes since the Troy loss and should not have. They were probably drunk the whole time. GSU should not have beaten us but they did. Luckily they choked and we were able to focus and win out.

Look at their wins though. They beat us without the SBC POY on the field. They barely beat a middle of the pack MAC team who is not anywhere near top 50 in the country. Arkansas State and Texas State were both close. We dismantled them. Troy beat them by 14 and ULM beat them by double digits as well. We beat both of them by double digits. CCU, NMSU, and Georgia State were not good at all so of course they should have beat them. If we had played GSU in a bowl I think we would have won by 20+ in a revenge game. They were a very solid G5 team but they aren't a top 40 team in the country. I always feel no matter what we have to respect them and give them our A game because it is a rival and it is like with UNC/NC State in football or Duke/UNC in basketball that it could really go either way no matter what.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:48 pm
sixtoes9134 wrote:
Just saying starting at 25 and add the last six 6 wins including SBC and Bowl, we wouldn’t be debating if, but how high.
For sure. The GSU loss is 100% why we are not ranked in the top 25 at all and if we had beat them I'm sure we would be about where Fresno State is right now, maybe slightly higher.

This is a good lesson for next year. Say we are undefeated going into Columbia and ranked 20 but lose to them we know we will fall out to RV or if we lose a SBC game at all we will drop completely out of everything unless it is SBC title game and we are like 15 or 16. We would still fall out but probably keep some votes.

I just want to go 1-0 every week through November and then see where we could be.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I assume Michigan will stay in the top 25 despite getting their asses handed to them by Florida.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:32 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:38 pm
I’m quite aware that if “if’s” and “buts” were candy and nuts.... but imagine how high we would have climbed if not for that abomination in Gnatsboro.
I think we’d be top 15 going into our bowl game and likely have ended the year around 13.
It’s easy to already forget but we had lots of media momentum rolling into the GS game, it was on ESPN and that following Saturday virtually all of the 20-25 ranked teams lost.

A solid win against GSU would have plopped us at 20ish and we would have continued to ride that wave. BUT, that’s why we play the games. Gotta win.

Still fun to think about though, haha.
YNWA

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 am
Iowa State losing helps. We need Pitt and VTech to win today and N.C. State to lose on Monday. If that happens, think we creep in.
Correction, if Pitt and VTech win tomorrow and N.C. State loses, that is 3 spots we could move up in addition to Iowa State’s loss. There are some other teams that could drop below us, but it’d be a long fall. My prediction is we end up at 27, though.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 am

Do not try and rationalize it. The current rank system is trash, and I'm not just saying it because I'm an APP fan. Eye test would tell you that a few teams should not be ranked at this point and they still are. In Michigan's last two games, they have been absolutely been pummeled. At what point do we start looking past a teams "tradition" and start properly evaluating teams?
The Appalachian State

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 am
Do not try and rationalize it. The current rank system is trash, and I'm not just saying it because I'm an APP fan. Eye test would tell you that a few teams should not be ranked at this point and they still are. In Michigan's last two games, they have been absolutely been pummeled. At what point do we start looking past a teams "tradition" and start properly evaluating teams?
I am very sympathetic to your argument, but Michigan is actually the "problem" with evaluating App: their three losses will all end up in the top 10, none of ours will. I know you're not saying this, but you can't apples to apples compare App's record to Michigan's and honestly say we should be ranked ahead of them.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:20 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:21 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:29 am
Probably not Top 25, but definitely Top 30. Excited for next year!
We are 30 and 31 now. As I laid out the odds of getting in the top 25 are not good but look at the other G5 teams and it would not shock me if we finish 27-28 and then start next year at 23-26 range. Part of me hopes we don't start ranked and get in the week we play UNC. I just hope our team stays focused and does not lay an egg if it happens again. If we lose just 1 game next year, before South Carolina, it won't happen. Coming from a G5 not considered as good as AAC or MWC we really need to win out.

Just look at the impact of the GSU loss this year. Had we beat them by any margin we would be talking about whether we should be ranked in the top 15 and likely would be 17-20 range right now. Because of that one loss we are 30 and 31 and we need a ton of help to have any shot to be ranked 25 right now. We have no margin for error and honestly we should not be given one. If we can't sweep the SBC then we really should not be ranked.

The killer of that loss was that almost every team immediately ahead of us also lost that week. If we'd beaten GS we'd have certainly moved into the top 20 in the next poll and would be comfortably in the top 15 now.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:24 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:20 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:21 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:29 am
Probably not Top 25, but definitely Top 30. Excited for next year!
We are 30 and 31 now. As I laid out the odds of getting in the top 25 are not good but look at the other G5 teams and it would not shock me if we finish 27-28 and then start next year at 23-26 range. Part of me hopes we don't start ranked and get in the week we play UNC. I just hope our team stays focused and does not lay an egg if it happens again. If we lose just 1 game next year, before South Carolina, it won't happen. Coming from a G5 not considered as good as AAC or MWC we really need to win out.

Just look at the impact of the GSU loss this year. Had we beat them by any margin we would be talking about whether we should be ranked in the top 15 and likely would be 17-20 range right now. Because of that one loss we are 30 and 31 and we need a ton of help to have any shot to be ranked 25 right now. We have no margin for error and honestly we should not be given one. If we can't sweep the SBC then we really should not be ranked.

The killer of that loss was that almost every team immediately ahead of us also lost that week. If we'd beaten GS we'd have certainly moved into the top 20 in the next poll and would be comfortably in the top 15 now.
Of course if we had won the Penn St. game, the Ga Southern loss would have been forgiven because ZT was knocked out so early.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm
appstatealum wrote:
I am very sympathetic to your argument, but Michigan is actually the "problem" with evaluating App: their three losses will all end up in the top 10, none of ours will. I know you're not saying this, but you can't apples to apples compare App's record to Michigan's and honestly say we should be ranked ahead of them.
This is my point. Teams can only play their schedules. This is why their needs to be a proper playoff. Ideally, all of the conference Champions and 2 at large or something. The only way to know is settle it on the field. No offense to the Big10, a lot of their teams looked weak. Can App best them, who knows. But Ohio St scraped by this year and easily could have lost as much as they won. Michigan got housed by them.
The Appalachian State

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
This is my point. Teams can only play their schedules. This is why their needs to be a proper playoff. Ideally, all of the conference Champions and 2 at large or something. The only way to know is settle it on the field. No offense to the Big10, a lot of their teams looked weak. Can App best them, who knows. But Ohio St scraped by this year and easily could have lost as much as they won. Michigan got housed by them.
This literally made me laugh out loud (and not at you at all). You came out of last night thinking "expand the playoffs". I went to bed thinking "who you got to sleep with to get the BCS back."

* There is no disrespect intended, I just laughed.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Really, the whole thing is a joke. Haha
The Appalachian State

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Guys...put down the rosy glasses. We could have run the table after PS and still not been top 15. I'm always all in for App. I'm currently sitting here in my new App hoodie from Christmas. Top 15 was not going to happen unless we beat PS. The rest of our schedule was not strong enough to merit that. GS had 10 wins that is correct, but they didn't beat a single top 25 team except us when we were ranked 25th. They did win their bowl...against a biiiiig bad 7-6 Eastern Michigan. Please stop trying to rationalize delusions. Did we have the talent to be a top 15 team? APPsolutely. Did we have the resume to back it up a top 15 ranking? Nope. Until we start beating some of the mid tier power 5 teams (which we absolutely could) we will never break the top 15. Fresno state beat ASU in their bowl. ASU was 7-6 but they are from a power 5 conference. Their conference in general is tougher. Same story of BSU. BSU also beat the piss out of Troy. UCF is the Only other G5 in the final CFP. I don't care at all about the final season rankings. Those are meaningless because guess what....the season is over. We will always be looked down on in the rankings because we are G5. Until we can schedule 2 mid tier P5's on a yearly basis and most importantly Beat one or both of them the most we will see is a 25-20 ish ranking each year. UCF just had 2 undefeated season and ended up 7th in the CFP. Last year they beat Maryland and this year Pitt. If we would start scheduling mid P5's instead of upper tier (LSU, PSU, GA, Miami Clemson, etc. Lets get Ole Miss, Maryland, KSU, Wake(who we should have beat), ect... if we want to continue to grow our resume. Losing to top teams at the start of the year and then beating a bunch of nobodies(G5/Conf) the rest of the season will bring our growth to plateau. I could go on but I'm starting to ramble.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:16 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 pm
Guys...put down the rosy glasses. We could have run the table after PS and still not been top 15. I'm always all in for App. I'm currently sitting here in my new App hoodie from Christmas. Top 15 was not going to happen unless we beat PS. The rest of our schedule was not strong enough to merit that. GS had 10 wins that is correct, but they didn't beat a single top 25 team except us when we were ranked 25th. They did win their bowl...against a biiiiig bad 7-6 Eastern Michigan. Please stop trying to rationalize delusions. Did we have the talent to be a top 15 team? APPsolutely. Did we have the resume to back it up a top 15 ranking? Nope. Until we start beating some of the mid tier power 5 teams (which we absolutely could) we will never break the top 15. Fresno state beat ASU in their bowl. ASU was 7-6 but they are from a power 5 conference. Their conference in general is tougher. Same story of BSU. BSU also beat the piss out of Troy. UCF is the Only other G5 in the final CFP. I don't care at all about the final season rankings. Those are meaningless because guess what....the season is over. We will always be looked down on in the rankings because we are G5. Until we can schedule 2 mid tier P5's on a yearly basis and most importantly Beat one or both of them the most we will see is a 25-20 ish ranking each year. UCF just had 2 undefeated season and ended up 7th in the CFP. Last year they beat Maryland and this year Pitt. If we would start scheduling mid P5's instead of upper tier (LSU, PSU, GA, Miami Clemson, etc. Lets get Ole Miss, Maryland, KSU, Wake(who we should have beat), ect... if we want to continue to grow our resume. Losing to top teams at the start of the year and then beating a bunch of nobodies(G5/Conf) the rest of the season will bring our growth to plateau. I could go on but I'm starting to ramble.
Not rose-colored glasses. The week we lost to GS, the no. 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 24 teams ALL lost. If we’d won, we’d have passed most or all of them. From that point, we’d have continued to gradually move up as teams ahead of us lost (while occasionally getting passed by P5s who scored big wins). That’s just how the polls work.

That would have equaled a top 15 ranking, both during and after the season.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:23 pm

appdaze is 100% right, you build programs by beating P5s.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
apples and oranges and bananas and pears, all schedules are different.
BLACK SATURDAY

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:09 pm

My favorite fruit is pineapple

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”