• Birthdays
    • appmaj (38)

Top 25 ranking?

EastHallApp
Posts: 4915
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1946 times
Been thanked: 1585 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:34 pm

And Pitt finds a way to lose too. SMH.



Stonewall
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 897 times
Been thanked: 566 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:02 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm still not sure why we are playing ETSU and I assume we are paying them to come from Johnson City. If we're playing Socon teams why not old "rivals" like Furman or Western. We really have little to gain playing any of these teams now, especially the Bucs.
ETSU is an old rivalry.



Tatedc
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Tatedc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm still not sure why we are playing ETSU and I assume we are paying them to come from Johnson City. If we're playing Socon teams why not old "rivals" like Furman or Western. We really have little to gain playing any of these teams now, especially the Bucs.

Agreed. Furman and Western Carolina are the ONLY SoCon teams I would schedule again. I hope our series with ETSU ends after this series, but I understand it. Some of Apps biggest pre 2005 crowds were vs ETSU much interest between western NC and eastern TN. But I'm very disappointed in scheduling Gardner Webb again. I'm all for an FCS game per year....but make it have some purpose.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4915
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1946 times
Been thanked: 1585 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:49 pm

We finally got a little help with Oklahoma State holding off Missouri.

Good news: A&M has opened up a 28-13 lead on State.

Bad news: Utah is absolutely falling apart at the seams after leading 20-3 at the half.



User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm still not sure why we are playing ETSU and I assume we are paying them to come from Johnson City. If we're playing Socon teams why not old "rivals" like Furman or Western. We really have little to gain playing any of these teams now, especially the Bucs.
ETSU was the "cross mountain" rivalry when I was at App in the early 2000's. The games were competitive and you had a good showing by both schools until they decided to fold their program. I would think that their fan base would travel well to this game as well.



AppStFan1
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 103 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:49 pm
We finally got a little help with Oklahoma State holding off Missouri.

Good news: A&M has opened up a 28-13 lead on State.

Bad news: Utah is absolutely falling apart at the seams after leading 20-3 at the half.
Here is the AP poll from 19-25

AP 19-25
RK Team REC PTS TREND
19 Fresno State
11-2 373 6
20 Utah
9-4 362 3
21 Texas A&M
8-4 359 1
22 Army
9-2 209 1
23 Boise State
10-3 144 4
24 Missouri
8-4 133 NR
25 Iowa State
8-4 110 1



Others receiving votes: Northwestern 109, Utah State 86, NC State 54, Cincinnati 39, Stanford 28, Appalachian State 19,

Here is what the bottom 7 of the AP 25 and top RV teams have done.

19. Fresno State 12-2 31-20 over ASU
20. Utah 9-5 31-20 loss to NW
21. Texas A&M 9-4 52-13 win over NC State
22. Army 11-2 70-14 win over Houston
23. Boise State 10-3 Game cancelled
24. Missouri 8-5 38-33 loss to Okl State
25. Iowa State 8-5 28-26 loss to Wash St

RV
NW 9-5 31-20 win over Utah
Utah State 11-2 52-13 win over North Texas
NC State 9-4 52-13 loss to Tex A&M
Cincinnati 11-2 35-31 win over VT
Stanford 9-4 14-13 win over Pitt

Looking at these results we should see Utah, Missouri, and Iowa State all drop out. Missouri and Iowa State probably keep some votes while Utah should as well.

I would think NW and Utah State for sure move in. Then it is between Cincinnati, Stanford, and App State for the last spot.

We honestly should be 25 based on resume but Cincinnati and Stanford both have about the same caliber of resume and won over a P5 so I’m sure it will be one of them and I could see Cincinnati or Stanford getting the final spot. I would think then the other one is 26 with Utah getting 27 and then us at 28.

What do you guys think?



AppStFan1
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 103 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:00 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm
ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm still not sure why we are playing ETSU and I assume we are paying them to come from Johnson City. If we're playing Socon teams why not old "rivals" like Furman or Western. We really have little to gain playing any of these teams now, especially the Bucs.
ETSU was the "cross mountain" rivalry when I was at App in the early 2000's. The games were competitive and you had a good showing by both schools until they decided to fold their program. I would think that their fan base would travel well to this game as well.
I don't mind playing ETSU. They were a pretty good SoCon team and as long as we don't get arrogant we should be fine. They are a team to take seriously since they should be better in 2019 after a tie for the SoCon title in 2018.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4915
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1946 times
Been thanked: 1585 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:07 am

I think we wind up between 26-28 in both polls unfortunately. We won’t pass Stanford or Cincinnati with both winning their bowls.

What might’ve been if Boise’s game hadn’t been canceled...



AppStFan1
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 103 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:49 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:07 am
I think we wind up between 26-28 in both polls unfortunately. We won’t pass Stanford or Cincinnati with both winning their bowls.

What might’ve been if Boise’s game hadn’t been canceled...
I still think we are probably out and they weren't looking good early. Honestly, outside of Fresno State I'm not very impressed with the MWC. It is solid but I don't think they are so good that their 2 and 3 loss teams should be ranked when a 2-loss SBC is not.

We should be behind Fresno State but ahead of Utah State and Boise State. Utah State was healthy and lost to a Michigan State team that lost 6 games and is not receiving votes. I know Boise State and Utah State will be ahead of us but based on what we now know I don't think they should be ranked.



JMappfan5
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:31 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:30 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:49 pm
We finally got a little help with Oklahoma State holding off Missouri.

Good news: A&M has opened up a 28-13 lead on State.

Bad news: Utah is absolutely falling apart at the seams after leading 20-3 at the half.
Here is the AP poll from 19-25

AP 19-25
RK Team REC PTS TREND
19 Fresno State
11-2 373 6
20 Utah
9-4 362 3
21 Texas A&M
8-4 359 1
22 Army
9-2 209 1
23 Boise State
10-3 144 4
24 Missouri
8-4 133 NR
25 Iowa State
8-4 110 1



Others receiving votes: Northwestern 109, Utah State 86, NC State 54, Cincinnati 39, Stanford 28, Appalachian State 19,

Here is what the bottom 7 of the AP 25 and top RV teams have done.

19. Fresno State 12-2 31-20 over ASU
20. Utah 9-5 31-20 loss to NW
21. Texas A&M 9-4 52-13 win over NC State
22. Army 11-2 70-14 win over Houston
23. Boise State 10-3 Game cancelled
24. Missouri 8-5 38-33 loss to Okl State
25. Iowa State 8-5 28-26 loss to Wash St

RV
NW 9-5 31-20 win over Utah
Utah State 11-2 52-13 win over North Texas
NC State 9-4 52-13 loss to Tex A&M
Cincinnati 11-2 35-31 win over VT
Stanford 9-4 14-13 win over Pitt

Looking at these results we should see Utah, Missouri, and Iowa State all drop out. Missouri and Iowa State probably keep some votes while Utah should as well.

I would think NW and Utah State for sure move in. Then it is between Cincinnati, Stanford, and App State for the last spot.

We honestly should be 25 based on resume but Cincinnati and Stanford both have about the same caliber of resume and won over a P5 so I’m sure it will be one of them and I could see Cincinnati or Stanford getting the final spot. I would think then the other one is 26 with Utah getting 27 and then us at 28.

What do you guys think?
Nice breakdown. I believe we finish just outside the T25 between 27-30. Maybe next year???



User avatar
appstatealum
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte/Gastonia
Has thanked: 1549 times
Been thanked: 504 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:07 am
I think we wind up between 26-28 in both polls unfortunately. We won’t pass Stanford or Cincinnati with both winning their bowls.

What might’ve been if Boise’s game hadn’t been canceled...
Stanford is so unimpressive. Cincinnati probably gets the last spot and we ought to be just on the outside at 26.


Out here with the moves like I invented smooth

Rick83
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 648 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:47 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm
ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm still not sure why we are playing ETSU and I assume we are paying them to come from Johnson City. If we're playing Socon teams why not old "rivals" like Furman or Western. We really have little to gain playing any of these teams now, especially the Bucs.
ETSU was the "cross mountain" rivalry when I was at App in the early 2000's. The games were competitive and you had a good showing by both schools until they decided to fold their program. I would think that their fan base would travel well to this game as well.
Yep, I remember when I was a student, going to games in their old little mini-dome. They used to also have their basketball games in that dome too, which sucked because you were so far away from the court. They were much better in basketball back in the day..



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 798 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 am

Regarding a Top 25 finish:

“Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a bitch in!”

- Bum Phillips



bigdaddyg
Posts: 2480
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 555 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:45 am

I’m amazed that any team with 4 losses would be considered a top 25. Regardless of the final rankings this App team is among the top 25 in the country.



Yosefus
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:46 am

Ole Bum never made it to the big dance though did he?



AppinVA
Posts: 11498
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1242 times
Been thanked: 1038 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:48 am

I just don’t want to be the first in the “other teams receiving votes,” category.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

User avatar
wncapp78
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Asheville
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:00 pm

I’m just glad we are not playing East Tennesse, Furman or Western in basketball lol.



Cro-Magnon App
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Western South Carolina
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:04 pm

I enjoyed going to games in that mini-dome. It was something different just as our turf was quite different in the 70's. .... Don't count out Bum just because he never won it all. Many great ones did not (Dan Marino and Marv Levy come to mind). And many coaches who were considered so-so or not too good in the eyes of their peers did win it.



Yosefus
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Not knocking Bum. Loved the energy around the Oilers at the time and Earl Cambell just a pinch between the cheek and gum commercial.
He just never delivered on the kicking the door in. Kind of shows how hard it is to do. He was a great coach and personality of that time.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4915
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1946 times
Been thanked: 1585 times

Re: Top 25 ranking?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:42 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:45 am
I’m amazed that any team with 4 losses would be considered a top 25. Regardless of the final rankings this App team is among the top 25 in the country.
It would be pretty hard to assemble any kind of credible top 25 without any four-loss teams. Hard to argue that there are 25 teams better than Texas A&M, for example. But there are some I wouldn’t mind a shot at.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online