Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

kornegaylw
School: Appalachian State

UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:45 pm

If UCF wins out they deserve to be in the Playoffs. Herbstreet and the rest of the talking heads have complimented them all night and immediately followed it up with a "they need to have some luck to make it". Given today's games how is Michigan, ND & Oklahoma that much better than they are?

I bring this up because given what UCF has done this year (and last) what more does a G5 school have to do to make the Playoffs? If UCF is left out the Playoff committee has clearly stated that a G5 school cannot win the national championship...So then what's the point for any G5 school to participate in the CFP?

NavyApp

Re: UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 am

My friend, I believe the answer to your question lies within these lyrics.

FREQS AND GEEKS!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:31 am

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 am
My friend, I believe the answer to your question lies within these lyrics.

Clearly it's all about the Benjamin's....

UCF should add "2018" to their National Championship sign in their stadium.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:28 am

I was just thinking what App would have to do to make it into a 4 team playoff. It would have to be a year where we just so happened to schedule 2 top-10 teams and also win out. The kicker is I can’t imagine how 2 teams that lost to App state would be allowed to be ranked in the top-10 after we beat them. So basically there’s no way until we get to a 16 team playoff.

Actually when I think about how we could have gone undefeated this year and still missed out on the New Years Bowl to UCF that saddens me even more.
Twitter: @RankAppState

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:38 am

While I wish the G5 received more love, I can't say that UCF is deserving of being in the Top 4. Only four teams they beat have winning records, and when you compare their overall schedule with top P5 schools the argument is clear. Playoffs will expand, and with that G5 schools will get in the playoffs, but until then they will need a lot of help.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am

The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff. G5 is a second class citizen in the football world. I know there are some that say that would be looke on as JV to have a G5 playoff. In the scope, G5 is JV and will not get any higher or better under the current cartel like structure of P5 and the Networks. We have to live with it or get better and be able to offer what it takes to get in a P5 or the current system will have to evolve more.

APP could very well be next year's UCF? But just like UCF this year gonna have the door slammed in their face. The P5 ain't sharing.

My guess is Clemson or The Death Star would beat UCF or APP 4 touchdowns in a playoff scenario, is that what we want?
BLACK SATURDAY

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am

I really enjoy what UCF has done. But the answer is that they would need to beat some better OOC competition. That’s not entirely their fault - they’ve scheduled P5s - but it’s just turned out the P5s they’ve beaten haven’t been that good.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff.
No. I understand the premise but I don't want that. Coach Satt recently said he was against that as well. I realize, as rules are now, a G5 never makes playoffs... Hopefully after 2025-when current agreement with ESPN goes away, a move to 8 teams is possible.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:37 am

UCF is top 10 good but they are not top 4 good. They have a prolific offense but their D has morw holes than a pasta strainer.

I don't think the playoff creators ever envisioned a G5 making a real run. They probably thought "we'll give them access to the NY6 and that'll be good enough". "Hey, take this and be happy".

With schedules being set 6-7 years out it's virtually impossible to schedule for a title run. You have no idea how the cfb landscape, your team and coaching staff will change by then.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am
Black Saturday wrote:
No. I understand the premise but I don't want that. Coach Satt recently said he was against that as well. I realize, as rules are now, a G5 never makes playoffs... Hopefully after 2025-when current agreement with ESPN goes away, a move to 8 teams is possible.
But a G5 is a sacrificial lamb in an 8 team as well, my point being that the top talent is so skewed to a handful of schools, games scores could be ugly. G5 would be matched against Clemson or Alabama this year. I'm not for having a great season and again NO chance at winning.
BLACK SATURDAY

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 am

A G5 in the playoff may never happen but a trip to the NY6 would still be special.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
But a G5 is a sacrificial lamb in an 8 team as well, my point being that the top talent is so skewed to a handful of schools, games scores could be ugly. G5 would be matched against Clemson or Alabama this year. I'm not for having a great season and again NO chance at winning.
We may as well have remained FCS, then. Even as we continue to reach unprecedented heights and make history for programs that have made the jump to FBS, we have folks who long for the olden days.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:02 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I think if the playoff were expanded to 8 or 10 or more (would mean some first round byes for more than 8 prob) including a G5 guaranty, you'd see higher rated players more willing to go to other schools than just like Clemson and Alabama. It'd spread those great athletes around more instead of concentrating them into a few schools which would mean even a strong G5 would stand a better chance against an Alabama or Clemson. Might be a pipe dream but if it keeps being just the Alabamas or Clemsons as the national champion the general public will lose interest and viewership/attendance will drop over time. Just my humble opinion.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am

When App is the nation's only undefeated in '19 with 3 P5 wins (counting the NY6 win), can we make a "national champions" banner up at KBS?

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am
When App is the nation's only undefeated in '19 with 3 P5 wins (counting the NY6 win), can we make a "national champions" banner up at KBS?
I like the way you think.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

We need to toot the UCF, G5 horn as loud as we can if we ever want a chance for any G5 or App State to get into a 4 team playoff. Not happening with current status quo. The louder we scream it will create enough to change and expand playoff eventually to include G5.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:15 am

We may not like the set-up the way it is now but it does make a lot of sense. You should want the 10 teams that make the NY6 and Playoffs to be the top 10 teams in the country. If you look at the polls they usually are and currently there is only 1 G-5 in that top ten (UCF). So some of you might think that the polls are crap but if you look at the pollsters in the coaches poll they are split evenly between G-5 coaches and P-5 coaches. Being equally represent with G-5 coaches the G-5 teams still don't crack the top 10 with more then 1 school. Maybe our 32 G-5 coaches need to give us a little more respect.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:31 am

I agree we need to make noise about the current playoff system and how UCF is getting treated. I think they will go to a 8 game playoff soon. Also, have you seen UCF tooting their own horn in ads and calling their conference a P-6? So not only are they self-proclaimed national champions last year, now they are now calling the American a P-6 conference. They surely have convinced themselves it is true.
Give Em Hell!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 am

Realistically UCF would get smashed by any of the current Top 4 teams. Wouldn't even be close. It would set the G5 chances in the future way back.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Going to NY6 would certainly be our National Championship. The only issue I have with it is a 2015 Houston / FSU situation where the P5 gives an “uninspired” effort and then whines about getting a lackluster opponent. Same thing happened last year when UCF throttled Auburn, talking heads all blamed it on lack of motivation (though Auburn denied that). G5 win considered a bad effort by the ranked P5 in most cases. Can’t deny it would be incredible to be in that situation though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”