Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drink on Mac Attack

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drink on Mac Attack

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:08 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm
It seems like Drink is really making an effort to get out to a lot of the other sports’ outings as well. I know he has been to basketball games and I think he was at a wrestling match earlier this week.
Good to see him supporting other sports and getting out in the community too.
I live in Greenville, SC (Furman country). Furman's football and lacrosse teams have made it a priority over the last 3 seasons to be at every single men's and women's basketball games. Prior to this Furman basketball had no atmosphere. The players go, have fun, get loud, do chants and cheers, and the fans love it. Football players asked their social media followers to come to games. Students started coming to join in and now their games are packed.

Why can't we get our players to do the same?
I wouldn't subject our kids to that...FU is 14-2 .

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 pm
appaneer1984 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 pm
Good interview, wish the radio host(s) hadn't brought up NCSU, Drink is the App coach now and we should all be focusing on the exciting things he's bringing up the Mountain
I get what you’re saying, but that’s just as much a sales pitch as anything else. You don’t think the fact that 2 WRs, a QB, and an OL getting drafted from Drinks offense is a huge selling point to kids? Especially with the guys with offers from low P5’s. I happen to think that is part of what will separate us from the rest of the SBC in recruiting.
Throw in Dorsey coaching the NFL MVP QB for 5 seasons and having NFL Connections out the wazzou and they should be able to attract a few highly rated guys. With Drink's offense being QB centric and WR centric, Drink and Dorsey should be able to target some highly touted guys and push the ability to have connections within the NFL and join a prolific attack.

If App could get the facilities enhancement project moving in conjunction with this coaching change, big things could happen. You've got Dorsey who played and coached in NFL, DJ Smith who played in the NFL and at App for four years. Drink has several years of evidence to provide for what QB's can do in his system, as well as receivers. App isn't the easiest sell due to location but the culture of the program is intact and if anything, I feel that Drink isn't of Scott's mindset of "Well we won three conference championships and three Bowl games. What else can you do at App State?".

UCF and Boise State are examples of what else you can do Scott. Don't out App because the growth doesn't outpace the way we age. App is on the precipous of joining the Boise State and UCF talking point annually; all that is lacking is a P5 win. A win over Tennessee or Penn State would've officially put App on the map as a Boise State like team. Beat UNC in September and get geared up to beat USC at a time that App should be peaking and the program should be well on it's way.
What ericsaid.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am
Drink is going to bring us two things this year that we couldn't have under Satterfield: a Spring game and a P5 win.
I agree and believe that in a couple years from now folks will realize Satt was real conservative. He will be considered a good coach that we appreciate but folks will finally acknowledge that we could have been better under him.
Satterfield is a slightly better Ron Rivera. Ron RIvera is terrible at coaching. Satterfield was great at a lot of things, but his conservatism was really going to come back to bite us at some point.
Wow! I guess Satt is this week's Ted Roof.

Satt did a great job at App, picked up plenty of W's and carried this program to new heights. Was he perfect? Of course not. He struggled in the 4th Q at Tennessee. But, he also worked in his share of onside kicks, trick plays, etc.

Rivera, on the other hand is a roller coaster. One season up, one season down. He's NFL quality, but not NFL elite.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:50 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am
Drink is going to bring us two things this year that we couldn't have under Satterfield: a Spring game and a P5 win.
I agree and believe that in a couple years from now folks will realize Satt was real conservative. He will be considered a good coach that we appreciate but folks will finally acknowledge that we could have been better under him.
Satterfield is a slightly better Ron Rivera. Ron RIvera is terrible at coaching. Satterfield was great at a lot of things, but his conservatism was really going to come back to bite us at some point.
Wow! I guess Satt is this week's Ted Roof.

Satt did a great job at App, picked up plenty of W's and carried this program to new heights. Was he perfect? Of course not. He struggled in the 4th Q at Tennessee. But, he also worked in his share of onside kicks, trick plays, etc.

Rivera, on the other hand is a roller coaster. One season up, one season down. He's NFL quality, but not NFL elite.
I'm not insinuating at all that Satterfield was overrated. He was absolutely amazing here. Especially when it comes to developing players, growing culture, etc. It's absolutely likely we won't have a coach as good as him again for decades. But the dude was too conservative at times. That Sun Belt Championship game this year is a perfect example. We barely won that game, and that's because he didn't even let the Sun Belt offensive player of the year pass the ball.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 am
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:
It seems like Drink is really making an effort to get out to a lot of the other sports’ outings as well. I know he has been to basketball games and I think he was at a wrestling match earlier this week.
I live in Greenville, SC (Furman country). Furman's football and lacrosse teams have made it a priority over the last 3 seasons to be at every single men's and women's basketball games. Prior to this Furman basketball had no atmosphere. The players go, have fun, get loud, do chants and cheers, and the fans love it. Football players asked their social media followers to come to games. Students started coming to join in and now their games are packed.

You have a Podcast. Invite some players on your Podcast and bring up the idea. You may want to find someone in a leadership position on the team like Zac or Cory and float the idea to them. Let them know of the impact it has had at Furman and see how receptive they are.
I don't have a podcast, I'm on a sports talk show in a market 3 hours from Boone.
Is the market in NC? Obviously the odds of you reaching students is low but getting players on, communicating that to the student paper, and having the student paper spread the word could be done. We live in an infinitely connected world now where 3 hours might as well be 3 minutes.
The other Greenville. South Carolina
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:

they weren't 3 years ago when it all started. If everybody always waits for somebody else to start something it'll never happen.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:38 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Agreed, like the stupid off-sides penalty when our guy took a step forward before dropping back when Wake was punting that gave them a first down which led to a touchdown if I recall correctly.
I about lost my mind at that point. My wife had to calm me down since I sit up near the players’ parents section.
You want madness, watch this 4th and 2 play against Penn State. I've watched it 25 times and there is no reason app shouldn't have stopped this. Duck followed the man he was lined up on up the field a bit and then broke when McSorley threw the ball. The guy duck followed was covered underneath and over top by the outside guy. McSorley saw Duck playing underneath expecting to undercut the quick out but he threw it over top. Good throw by McSorley but Duck should've been on this man like white on rice.

A better play may have been man considering it was going to be a quick play. They stopped the verticals and it looked like the idea was to keep Penn State from scoring, not cover the distance to a first down.

4th and 2
I sit next to one of our best ILBs dad at games and he used to loose his sh!t when it was 3rd and really long and we would go nickle. Partly because his son got pulled off the field, but our DBs lined up so deep its like we forgot how to be aggressive. 3rd and 25 and we would give up 24. We usually stooped them, but a more aggressive approach (our regular scheme) would just as likely have stopped them 20 yards sooner giving us better field position. I understand the philosophy, don't get me wrong, but it freaks us out as fans.
That’s the point in those situations. Guard the line to gain and keep everything in front of you. I don’t care if we give up 24 yards as long as it results in a turnover or punt.
The only time this wouldn’t work is in a cas like GA southern’s bowl game. 4th and long with a QB who can’t throw.
The brought a 3 man rush and dropped everyone else into coverage which left their highly mobile QB wide open to run for a 1st down.
My issue on this particular play was that App was guarding the Dig while giving up the out. They got too cute on that single play and instead of lining up and playing your man, they had Duck undercut to try to take away a low throw on a quick out. Instead McSorley goes overtop, throwing the ball to the sideline. Sure it is a chess match but if we line up man, the slot is still covered by Duck and the safety, the quick out is jammed by the corner and the defensive line had the edge set.

There was no reason for Penn State to convert that call.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 am
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

You have a Podcast. Invite some players on your Podcast and bring up the idea. You may want to find someone in a leadership position on the team like Zac or Cory and float the idea to them. Let them know of the impact it has had at Furman and see how receptive they are.
I don't have a podcast, I'm on a sports talk show in a market 3 hours from Boone.
Is the market in NC? Obviously the odds of you reaching students is low but getting players on, communicating that to the student paper, and having the student paper spread the word could be done. We live in an infinitely connected world now where 3 hours might as well be 3 minutes.
The other Greenville. South Carolina
Pretty sure I knew that. Either way, if possible, I'd suggest finding a way to get a player or two on. I know that the student body wouldn't likely hear it unless the Student Paper did a blurb in the paper about a media appearance on a radio show out of state.

But I'm not in media so I wouldn't be as familiar with it. I blog. And for some reason people read it. But that's about it.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:

These are adults. They can handle losing and trying to show support for another program, even if that program is losing.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 pm

The Rock wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Agreed, like the stupid off-sides penalty when our guy took a step forward before dropping back when Wake was punting that gave them a first down which led to a touchdown if I recall correctly.
I about lost my mind at that point. My wife had to calm me down since I sit up near the players’ parents section.
You want madness, watch this 4th and 2 play against Penn State. I've watched it 25 times and there is no reason app shouldn't have stopped this. Duck followed the man he was lined up on up the field a bit and then broke when McSorley threw the ball. The guy duck followed was covered underneath and over top by the outside guy. McSorley saw Duck playing underneath expecting to undercut the quick out but he threw it over top. Good throw by McSorley but Duck should've been on this man like white on rice.

A better play may have been man considering it was going to be a quick play. They stopped the verticals and it looked like the idea was to keep Penn State from scoring, not cover the distance to a first down.

4th and 2
I sit next to one of our best ILBs dad at games and he used to loose his sh!t when it was 3rd and really long and we would go nickle. Partly because his son got pulled off the field, but our DBs lined up so deep its like we forgot how to be aggressive. 3rd and 25 and we would give up 24. We usually stooped them, but a more aggressive approach (our regular scheme) would just as likely have stopped them 20 yards sooner giving us better field position. I understand the philosophy, don't get me wrong, but it freaks us out as fans.
That’s the point in those situations. Guard the line to gain and keep everything in front of you. I don’t care if we give up 24 yards as long as it results in a turnover or punt.
The only time this wouldn’t work is in a cas like GA southern’s bowl game. 4th and long with a QB who can’t throw.
The brought a 3 man rush and dropped everyone else into coverage which left their highly mobile QB wide open to run for a 1st down.
I know the point. That's why I said I understand the philosophy! But we didn't execute well in those situations. Our guys thrived on aggression. That's when we were at our best. That's why we led the nation in 4th down conversion (I think). It appeared to me that when we used "traditional philosophy" we took away that aggression, which as a fan, freaks me the eff out. Only my opinion. Some of our biggest plays were given up on 3rd and very long. That's just the truth.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Anybody else fear that Dorsey will have the shortest tenure of this talent pool of coaches? Genuinely asking, will recruits recognize he is "destined for bigger things than App" and that fact not help us in recruiting as much as having him should? It would be hard for me to look a kid in the eye and tell him I want to mentor him into greatness when realistically I may only be here for a short time.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 pm
The Rock wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

4th and 2
I know the point. That's why I said I understand the philosophy! But we didn't execute well in those situations. Our guys thrived on aggression. That's when we were at our best. That's why we led the nation in 4th down conversion (I think). It appeared to me that when we used "traditional philosophy" we took away that aggression, which as a fan, freaks me the eff out. Only my opinion. Some of our biggest plays were given up on 3rd and very long. That's just the truth.
We did give up a lot of 3rd and 8,10, and 12 s at times, but we weren’t in the “prevent” defense thy I had in mind then.
The one I had in mind was 3rd and 20-30 and we only had 3 DL and dropped 8 back to the line to gain or further back.
I don’t remember many if any that we gave up in that look.
We may have played soft on 3rd and more manageable like I mentioned earlier and not stopped them but to my recollection, that was in a more traditional look.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm
Anybody else fear that Dorsey will have the shortest tenure of this talent pool of coaches? Genuinely asking, will recruits recognize he is "destined for bigger things than App" and that fact not help us in recruiting as much as having him should? It would be hard for me to look a kid in the eye and tell him I want to mentor him into greatness when realistically I may only be here for a short time.
I think you're over thinking things. These kids know coaches come and go. But I'd also not be surprised if a rival tried to use that against us. That's the nature of recruiting.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm
Appster99 wrote:
I think you're over thinking things. These kids know coaches come and go. But I'd also not be surprised if a rival tried to use that against us. That's the nature of recruiting.
Your guess on how long Dorsey will sport the Black & Gold? If Miami comes calling I think he is one and done here. I hope not, but $$$ talks and our total budget, we shall say, may be less than sufficient to stop that guy from falling off the carousel into a different themed park.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Do you ever wonder about some of the people who come on this board with seemingly App allegiances? They ask questions -- on an open forum read by all of our players and recruits -- that are bound to raise the anxiety level of our players and recruits. Sometimes I wonder which team these people are really pulling for?

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm
Do you ever wonder about some of the people who come on this board with seemingly App allegiances? They ask questions -- on an open forum read by all of our players and recruits -- that are bound to raise the anxiety level of our players and recruits. Sometimes I wonder which team these people are really pulling for?
I posted on Twitter tonight "I seriously feel pressure to up my Yosef Club giving to levels my wife would not approve!!" after seeing the continued impressive staff Coach Drink is assembling. I intended humor because many of us husbands live within what our ( often more reasonable) wives allow. But there is a seriousness to it as well because, one, my budget is far from limitless, and two, so is App's. But my love and support of my Alma Mater is unquestionable. I believe the overwhelming majority of people here truly love Appalachian State University. And most of us are alumni who want the best of our athletic programs as a whole. People ask questions on forums like this to get truthful answers from what is hopefully like-minded individuals. While there may be a few athletes or recruits who read this forum, if they are caused anxiety by what some person writes here then their focus is misplaced. They need to get their information from the coaches they have better access to than most of us. My 2 cents fwiw

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 am

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
Your guess on how long Dorsey will sport the Black & Gold? If Miami comes calling I think he is one and done here. I hope not, but $$$ talks and our total budget, we shall say, may be less than sufficient to stop that guy from falling off the carousel into a different themed park.
Maybe, maybe not. But that's true of all our coaches. Eli could have a monster season and get an offer. You have to get over the mentality that we're going to keep coaches for 10+ years, that's just not the reality of major college football. I'd be happy if Ken sticks around for 3.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
Let a rival coach tell a recruit that Dorsey’s so much better than he is that in a few years Dorsey will be gone, and said coach will still be there. A smart recruit will realize both will likely be gone. One to greater places, and the other to some high school as a PE teacher in South Georgia.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Appster99 wrote:
Let a rival coach tell a recruit that Dorsey’s so much better than he is that in a few years Dorsey will be gone, and said coach will still be there. A smart recruit will realize both will likely be gone. One to greater places, and the other to some high school as a PE teacher in South Georgia.
I feel as if you are referring to a specific Coach. Even if you weren't; the seed has been planted in my brain and I can't stop laughing.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm
I would just tell them to “Relax snowflake”.

But seriously, players do keep up with social media, but not necessarily “die hard fan message boards”. I’m not too worried about what kids may or may not read on here. If anything, they will get some great info on where to get good wings or bbq and find out what the best beer is to wash it down.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”